Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why people quit !

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well I quit because of a few reasons.

First: so I played the good guys, and the first starting zone was half city half forest. Then came the first really large zone until level 20. It was more forest. Then game the next zone: it was another forest, slightly darker. Then I was level 30, and never saw anything but forest. That's just boring.

Second: lack of starting zones. I create one character for the good guys, play, and know that whenever I create a new character of that faction, I'll have to go through the exactly same content.

Third: the game doesn't even try to create interesting quests. Most of them are boring and not described in an interesting way, and the interface is designed in a way that you can click through delivering and accepting quests within a second without having to read a single word. 

Fourth: no communication outside guilds. It's like a single player game. I can run through zones and not see other people. And if I do see them, they just run past. People never reply or greet or anything. That's because so much in the game is done automatically, that no communication is required.

Fifth: Quest chains. In general they ain't bad, but if everything depends on them, then the downside is that you can't play together with other people. You meet a guy your level, but you are in stage 41 of a quest chain and he is in stage 10. If you want to play together, then either he has to run with you without beeing able to complete quests, or you have to wait / help until he is at the same stage.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Originally posted by CericX

With the exception of Unseen, rep is very quick and easy.

Conveniently you forgot to mention that The Unseen is the only faction worth getting rep with. Besides, L50 rewards from any faction require Revered and Revered takes forever even if you do a lot of dungeons.

If at this point in progression you can't get T1 Raid gear inside a couple weeks then you're just not trying.

I can't even get 200 hit/focus I need for T1 raids, not to mention getting into raids themselves. Well, actually I was in GSB once... we wiped 50 times on the second boss before calling it. That is all.

So what you're saying is you only think PvP rewards are worthwhile as that is all the Unseen is. You're complaint isn't really anything to do with the PvE. If you just said "I don't do well with the PvP" I'd have left you alone.

After reaching level 50 (1 week of moderate play) most people are doing T2's (which no longer exist as of this patch) which require 100 hit. Add in a few runes for additional hit and a couple drops or plaque purchases (1 week) and you should be at 200-220 hitfocus. Again I say...you did it wrong somewhere. I've got two P8..now p38? chars, one HK raiding, another that just pvp's and does GSBRoS10man. Two items on the second character is all that is required for the focus for those instances.

Rift isn't perfect, there are things that it could certainly use, however its dungeons and raiding are top notch.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I stopped playing because of the relatively small gameworld, the soul system, heavy mob density, generic art style, the invasions which kept ganking my quest hubs, grindy solo quests, and lame dungeons.  If I had to sit down and give you a list of "problems" with the game, it would be a small list because the game is extremely polished.  Every aspect of Rift that I particpated in worked as intended; however, I didn't find much of it very fun.

Some of the added features are nice like the adventure system and the two-man dungeons; however, it doesn't change the fact that Rift feels like an attempt by a small-time game developer to copy WoW.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

or plaque purchases

Plaque purchases for mage don't have any +focus. I'm pretty sure it's the same deal with +hit on DPS rogue plaque set.

I've got two P8

Grats on grinding all the way to the top. It's still just boring grind though.

however its dungeons and raiding are top notch.

/laugh
    If you're serious, you've never seen a half-good dungeon or raid in your life. A tip for free: try some other MMO someday, you'll be very surprised.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CericXCericX Member Posts: 69

If you are going to quote someone, quote the whole thing so it can be taken in context.

"So what you're saying is you only think PvP rewards are worthwhile as that is all the Unseen is. You're complaint isn't really anything to do with the PvE. If you just said "I don't do well with the PvP" I'd have left you alone.

After reaching level 50 (1 week of moderate play) most people are doing T2's (which no longer exist as of this patch) which require 100 hit. Add in a few runes for additional hit and a couple drops or plaque purchases (1 week) and you should be at 200-220 hitfocus. Again I say...you did it wrong somewhere. I've got two P8..now p38? chars, one HK raiding, another that just pvp's and does GSBRoS10man. Two items on the second character is all that is required for the focus for those instances.

Rift isn't perfect, there are things that it could certainly use, however its dungeons and raiding are top notch."

Originally posted by wowfan1996

or plaque purchases

Plaque purchases for mage don't have any +focus. I'm pretty sure it's the same deal with +hit on DPS rogue plaque set.

Here is a list of every mage item in the game as of the last spreadsheet update. If you can't figure out how to get focus after looking at it, chances are you never will figure it out.

http://bluedots.org/mage-gear-list/

I've got two P8

Grats on grinding all the way to the top. It's still just boring grind though.

2x events, +100 pots, escalated every weekend, all stacked up, pve quests if you want to supplement outside of WF, open world PvP, PvP rifts. Yeah, even the most casual player can get there quickly enough. The real kicker is that its fun if you know how to PvP and have friends to play with. I might hate it too if I were to PuG every WF with no real idea of what to do.

however its dungeons and raiding are top notch.

/laugh

If you're serious, you've never seen a half-good dungeon or raid in your life. A tip for free: try some other MMO someday, you'll be very surprised.

If you wiped 50 times in the single time you've ever been in a raid in Rift (without appropriate gear I might add) chances are you're opinion here is not as valid as you think it is. You've by your own statements never seen any of the content, so you'll pardon me if I take your statement with the proverbial grain of salt.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

All I have seen and heard about Rift makes me think "in what way is this not WoW" .. and maybe mmo-shoppers are looking for something different from the WoW model.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by maji

Well I quit because of a few reasons.

First: so I played the good guys, and the first starting zone was half city half forest. Then came the first really large zone until level 20. It was more forest. Then game the next zone: it was another forest, slightly darker. Then I was level 30, and never saw anything but forest. That's just boring.

Second: lack of starting zones. I create one character for the good guys, play, and know that whenever I create a new character of that faction, I'll have to go through the exactly same content.

Third: the game doesn't even try to create interesting quests. Most of them are boring and not described in an interesting way, and the interface is designed in a way that you can click through delivering and accepting quests within a second without having to read a single word. 

Fourth: no communication outside guilds. It's like a single player game. I can run through zones and not see other people. And if I do see them, they just run past. People never reply or greet or anything. That's because so much in the game is done automatically, that no communication is required.

Fifth: Quest chains. In general they ain't bad, but if everything depends on them, then the downside is that you can't play together with other people. You meet a guy your level, but you are in stage 41 of a quest chain and he is in stage 10. If you want to play together, then either he has to run with you without beeing able to complete quests, or you have to wait / help until he is at the same stage.

While I respect another players opinion of any game they do or do not enjoy, most of this post is entirely incorrect. First, forest is not all there is to zones.  Clearly this player never played the level 30, 40. and 50 zones.  Needless to say they are not just forest.    Also, qualities of the quests and how they are written is subjective.  Yes, they lack the whimsy but modernized humor of WOW quests, but they work as intended.  Nothing about the software is designed ONLY to click through and accept without reading the quest.  It is up to the player whether they want to read a quest or not.  And being able to quickly accept and go on is preferable for some players --  a reasonable and modern MMO inclusion.

As far as no communication outside of guilds?  Bull.  Utter, and complete bull.  The global chats are thriving with the exception of times when players are sleeping/working which fluctuates depending on server.  I have made several friends by being social and taking initiative.  Yes, some players dont respond.  But most do.  The ones that don't are playing their own game and have the right not to be social, no matter how rude they are.  I ignore those players.  Also, free server transfers mean you can find a home for your character if you are not fitting in with your current community. 

Quest chains are a legitimate part of your overall comments, but remain typical in most AAA mmorpgs.  (Yes, Rift is triple A)

Starting area is a complaint i can agree with, although i've made several alts and flew right past the starting area and entered warfronts/dungeons/rifts to level up.  My current character hasnt quested since level 6 and is level 42.  But lack of starting areas and races still strike a hard note on my cons list.  

I have found good in many mmorpgs.  (Excluding a recent title which has good elements as a single player game, but not as an mmorpg.)  Some excel more at certain things than others.  Rift is a more mature and polished themepark game that adds new features in dynamic events and soul system.

I personally would like to enjoy a strategic sandbox, but remain somewhere between casual and hardcore as a player so Rift is one of my popular options.  I get the impression some players do not remain objective when considering the virtues of these games.  Let new or deciding players get an accurate depiction of a game.  And remember, Trion has done right by its subscribers by remaining proactive in communicating with players and fixing bugs/issues.  Give them a fair deal when you approach the negatives.  (Rift has some of those too :) )

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by GrayGreene

As far as no communication outside of guilds?  Bull.  Utter, and complete bull.  The global chats are thriving with the exception of times when players are sleeping/working which fluctuates depending on server.  I have made several friends by being social and taking initiative.  Yes, some players dont respond.  But most do.  The ones that don't are playing their own game and have the right not to be social, no matter how rude they are.  I ignore those players.  Also, free server transfers mean you can find a home for your character if you are not fitting in with your current community. 

Chat channels are active, but lately you would wish they havent been.  Welcome to global barrens chat.

Where the poster is absolutely right though, is when you join a rift group autmoatically, you can try to spark conversation all you want but the other layer(s) dont care.  They dont wanna respond, they just wanna fnish their rift and drop group and move on.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

My entire guild quit shortly after release - after clearing all the end game stuff using two supermacros.

Also the soul system is boring and bland.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by kjempff

All I have seen and heard about Rift makes me think "in what way is this not WoW" .. and maybe mmo-shoppers are looking for something different from the WoW model.

I didn't quit (just started playing) but I must confess thus far Rift is VERY much like WoW, far more than any other game I've played. The quests, the effort required to level up, the user interface, general good vendors, monster drops, profession trainers, mailboxes, hearthstones, remappable skill trees, even the skills themselves.

Gameplay wise, there's actually not a lot to distinguish it from WoW except some WAR-like open world instances (rifts). Which actually is a little disppointing.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by teakbois

Chat channels are active, but lately you would wish they havent been.  Welcome to global barrens chat.

Where the poster is absolutely right though, is when you join a rift group autmoatically, you can try to spark conversation all you want but the other layer(s) dont care.  They dont wanna respond, they just wanna fnish their rift and drop group and move on.

Now i do agree with that.  Doing rifts with strangers seems to be completely anti-social.

Rift remains one of my favorite themeparks.  But a truly social experience will require a level of maturity most young players just dont have.  I will look for a niche game in the future, but most likely will move on  from mmorpgs.  The genre promises so much, but may never deliver.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Now i do agree with that.  Doing rifts with strangers seems to be completely anti-social.

Rift remains one of my favorite themeparks.  But a truly social experience will require a level of maturity most young players just dont have.  I will look for a niche game in the future, but most likely will move on  from mmorpgs.  The genre promises so much, but may never deliver.

Im actually thinking of going back to EQ1.  Best community out there.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

I am always quite suprised that many complaints are about starting areas, lack of ect...

Oddly enough this is probably where less than half a % of all online game time is spent - the levelling up phase! (I am sure somebody will find a actualy stat there somewhere)

So why would developers go all out on starting areas. But to be honest its a shame, as this is where it will drag new players in.

MMORPG's are all about endgame - if you don't like the lack of levelling up paths and choice, I do think you are in the wrong genre. - And this is my own personal.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Professor78

I am always quite suprised that many complaints are about starting areas, lack of ect...

Oddly enough this is probably where less than half a % of all online game time is spent - the levelling up phase! (I am sure somebody will find a actualy stat there somewhere)

So why would developers go all out on starting areas. But to be honest its a shame, as this is where it will drag new players in.

MMORPG's are all about endgame - if you don't like the lack of levelling up paths and choice, I do think you are in the wrong genre. - And this is my own personal.

MMORPGs could be designed to be very good quality in all aspects if devs put their focus on all aspects instead of one.

Not one dev other than Blizzard has focused on [all] aspects on their game.

That's the only way to actually advance in a genre.

Upcomming MMOs are attempting this, whether it fails or not is still subjective, but least these devs are trying to work on [all] aspects.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ferndipferndip Member UncommonPosts: 67

I have noticed many of these same voices here say the same thing about every MMO out there and, are never happy with anything.

not trolling or flaming, just saying.  

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by Professor78

MMORPGs could be designed to be very good quality in all aspects if devs put their focus on all aspects instead of one.

Not one dev other than Blizzard has focused on [all] aspects on their game.

That's the only way to actually advance in a genre.

Upcomming MMOs are attempting this, whether it fails or not is still subjective, but least these devs are trying to work on [all] aspects.

But isnt that basically like buying  a £50k car and just getting it ou thte garage once every 3 years? To me is seems a bit wastefull and money spend better elsewhere. Is this what people want though - the option there just incase?

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

I quit because I was bored out of my mind! I did like the class customization, it should be the standard. 

-I am here to perform logic

Originally posted by evilastro

Also the soul system is boring and bland.

Sorry just had to comment on this bit, what exactly are you comparing it to? I know of nothng out there that rivals the versatility and options this gives, and "most " skills in the trees are unique... There is over 250 different soul combinations at the least, and thats not even thinking about how you spec each tree!

(thats probably over 1500 diferent soul-only abilities/spells to mix and match!)

The normal complaint is there is too much choice!, which they have gladly fixed quite well in the latest update :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by page

After all it's a well made game, graphics are nice, the sole system is a good change, and the price is right.  So why do people quit ?

Well, It's because a caret-on a stick game.  It's one long chain quest that's almost a personal story line that for the most part has to be done solo. Quest hub after quest hub makes it close to impossible to play with friends.

Stop and think about it before you jump all over me !....Sure, you can in-world group play.  But you have strict rules in doing so. If your playing with a friend you have to match quest for quest.  You have to log on at the same time, and log off together if you would like playing with others.  Having a voice chat program helps in planning out this process, but for the most part it's hard to work together on anything unless your Max level.

- Sure you can do Rifts all day with other's.

- Sure you can play short instanced dungeons.

- Sure you can do PvP Warfronts.

But the above are mini games. Mini games are just that, mini games.  THEY LEAVE YOU WITHOUT A COMMUNITY.

Because of chain quest Guilds are worthless because no one can play togeather until end game.  Guilds become simple chat rooms for questions or the traditional " please come help me for five minutes" type situations.

Example's I had found :

1) MY RL friend started together.  Soon into the game we found we could not solo our characters at all or one of us would have to play catch up to play together again. Often times my friend would say take this quest, I wold say " I can't it will not give me it ". This was common in Rift.

2)A few times players tried to group with us.  Well sadly they were on different chain quest and would have to play catch up.

3) I could not have a friends list on my solo character. If I did find someone doing the same chain as me, added him to my friends list, tomorrow we would be out of sync again.

4) A younger player added me to his friends list after I helped him do a quest.  We were close in level, so the poor kid insisted that I play with him.  Well, OK....I did several of his quest that I had already done to be in sync, we played another hour and logged off.  The next day He insisted again that we play.  BUT we both played on our own before hand, and the cycle started all over again, we could not play together.

In every mmo, I'm a master of having a lot of friends.  I love to play an mmo that way. This is why the largest problem is so magnified to me where many would not be able to figure out why Rift is boring.

It's boring because you have to play alone !!!!

I hate to use WoW as an example, but the world was open to do anything when ever, who ever, however....No rules !....Rift could never ever be a WoW killer unless they change the game ALL AROUND.  But we all know that once released the game is really done.

Maybe you should keep your eyes out for GW2 instead? There you can join in with anyone all the time.

Rifts quest based system have advantages and disadvantages, this is one of the bad things with it.

GW2s dynamic events have other bad things with it of course, you loses a lot of the personal accomplishment factor and more or less always will work together with others, if they fail you fail.

No system is perfect, choose what fits you best (yeah, GW2 is still a few months away from launch).

The only way to play stuff like rifts is really with a bunch of friends or your guild.

And I don´t think the age is really that important even though there are more social older players than younger. Whatever game you play it is always best to find a good guild and hang out with them.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13

My guild is great and I love my toons. This game is great and I have not begun to get tired of it and I have played since closed beta. To each their own. I couldnt imagine trying to enjoy it without my guild friends playing with me. We all came over from Vanguard together. Of course I would not play an mmo to play single player. Thats what Skyrim is for.....and KoA next week =)

Yeah,that is by far the best way to enjoy a MMO and the only way to anjoy a CORPG for that matter.

But OPs point that the questchains hinder playing together with other players is valid. Rather hard to fix as well, but they should probably have more chains that you don´t have to have complete another chain first to get.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Agreed. Though that is an issue with most mmo's. I had that issue in Vanguard and EQ as well. My guild is large enough that the variety in level ranges makes for a fairly easy task in getting a group or at least a few players to complete quests with. Hence some games having henchmen I guess like GW and now EQ2

Arenanet is trying to fix it in GW2, lets hope it works. Because I tend to get into smaller guilds were it is easy to know everyone and questchains really makes life hard for me like that.

If I wanted to play with henchies I would play a single player game instead, they are not a good solution for anything more than if you miss a player for a group.

I think questing needs a revamp some way or another to allow players play together more. Or they need to add more loose quests that anyone can take.