Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: THQ Seeking Partner for Publication

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During a THQ investors' call held recently, it was revealed that the company is unable to deliver Warhammer 40k: Dark Millenium Online on its own and is seeking partnership opportunities with other companies.

"Because of the large financial commitment and associated risks, we are being realistic about our resources and we are actively seeking a partner for this compelling new MMO. We will keep you updated on our progress," Farrell told his investors.

Source: Gamasutra

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

EA to the rescue?

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206

fail.. 2 factions..  :)

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by kostoslav

EA to the rescue?

I hope not. I have had too many disappointments from EA to the point I do not even buy the game if EA's logo is on it. image

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by kosac

fail.. 2 factions..  :)

yup, being close to the lore is fail, oh wait i forgot according to these forums 40k is nothing but everyone killing everyone all teh time, not like the races are actually smart and will team up against a common foe like what happens in every major conflict and tabletop game.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Alot of fail for GamesWorkshop this and past years.

It seems that GW has turned to a model, pun intended, that focus's on cash and not quality as they used to. Now it seems as KARMA is on it's way.

For the non-tabletoppers: In 2011 GW switched to a 'resin' for all the models they used to make in metal. Then they jacked up their prices on these 'new', 'more detailed', and as a side note roughly 30% cheeper to produce, models. Then to 'jam the thumb further into the eye sockets', they changed the shipping policies and divided up the world into zones to force opdering from basicly only them. (this is far from complete anecdote)

I thought I had seen all the levels of rage-quit in the MMO-verse....I was wrong...table-toppers are waaaay more intence.

I wish them luck, but after WAR, I was eyeing 40K:DMO with much caution.

Originally posted by MattNe

For the non-tabletoppers: In 2011 GW switched to a 'resin' for all the models they used to make in metal. Then they jacked up their prices on these 'new', 'more detailed', and as a side note roughly 30% cheeper to produce, models. Then to 'jam the thumb further into the eye sockets', they changed the shipping policies and divided up the world into zones to force opdering from basicly only them. (this is far from complete anecdote)

No, they didnt, gamesworkshop switched the to resin at the same time as there annual price increase, they didnt increase the price because they switched to resin, people need to stop spreading misinformation.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by warmaster670

No, they didnt, gamesworkshop switched the to resin at the same time as there annual price increase, they didnt increase the price because they switched to resin, people need to stop spreading misinformation.

It's been a long time since I've messed about with tabletop miniatures, but didn't all manufacturers have to stop using the metal miniatures because of the lead content? All metals are going up in price making it not cost effective to use any metals in particular, so a switch to some sort of plastic or resin makes sense. The price increase might make sense too. Switching the manufacturing process to something new isn't going to be free.

** edit **
    Also, having a publishing partner is becoming a standard way to do things. I have no idea what the costs are or how that works, but it seems like the publishing is becoming a specialized business.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    It's just funny, gw has a yearly price increase. It just so happened that the increase at the time of the resin release was a lot more than even I expected. The company doesn't necessarily price gouge but if could be construed that way.

Anyways DMO is pretty dead in the water now. I can't think of a company willing to invest in a property with a FAILED history (warhammer online).

Sic Luceat Lux

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Investors wouldn't put money down based on a product made by another company but the merits of the current development team.

Originally posted by Spalliero

Anyways DMO is pretty dead in the water now. I can't think of a company willing to invest in a property with a FAILED history (warhammer online).

newsflash, warhammer fantasy and warhammer 40k are NOT the same property, shocking i know, i would have thought the name would have given it away, thern you have the fact that one game isnt a history, in fact, the recent history of games that are actually of the property being discussed is pretty good.

Also theres the fact that WAR has NOTHING to do with this game, at ALL.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Iam just glad to see that  this project is still  coming through- a big fan of warhammer franchise like many out there! And this game should get the opportunity that many mmos out there dont deserve!

GL Vigil- Relic !!!!!!- awaiting the release!

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

I wonder if there will be any takers? THQ are pretty much toxic at the moment, it would take somebody brave to team up with them. MMOs are a significant risk as well with the majority of the big IP releases going down the toilet, including a Games Workshop IP.

I think this game is pretty much dead now.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by warmaster670

Right, just like the cow jumps over the moon......

Gamesworkshop is going to kill their golden goose with their greed and ignorance..

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I hope the title is recovered & THQ survive to get this game out the door & operating at a tidy profit, games failing is a necessity for poor titles but I'd like to see this one see the light of day, even if I personally think that only 2 factions is a stupid move & this game should pull out all the stops to create a dynamic faction system to have each race be it's own faction & in-game politics & world-events in the game dictate who sides with who, albeit temporarily.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

PLEASE THQ WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM EA THE DESTROYER OF COMPANIES...THEY WILL ASSIMILATE YOU AND DESTROY YOUR SOUL...DON'T DO IT...THEY ARE EVIL...EVVVVVIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

After the fail that was Warhammer Online I wont be eager to see this one.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Garkan

I wonder if there will be any takers? THQ are pretty much toxic at the moment, it would take somebody brave to team up with them. MMOs are a significant risk as well with the majority of the big IP releases going down the toilet, including a Games Workshop IP.

I think this game is pretty much dead now.

We must remember that while we gamers might consider GW's last collaboration in the MMO market a failure, monetarily it was anything but!

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

First off they switched to resin because it is the highest quality material for models.  It wasn't just metals they switched out to resin it was also the plastic line.  And as far as non metal miniatures go, no one even comes close to GW level of quality.  (There are some higher quality metal miniatures in other games though)

As far as an MMORPG, 2 factions is fail in any mmorpg.  Factions in general are fail in my opinion.  FFA is the way to go as it lets players command the wars.  Their certainly is a precident for 2 factions in GW history though, when they have run large campaigns the sides tend to get divided into Order and Destruction sides.  Unfortunately the lore behind these campaigns is usually convoluted and terrible...  A FFA system or a 5 - 6 faction system would work better in this game.  But whatever, probably will just be another WoW clone like SWTOR so who cares anyway...

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Oh please war master, let's do some common sense warhammer fantasy happens 40k years before warhammer 40k hence the 40k. That's the same ip different time lines. So yeah warhammer in the mmo market has failed once, it can again. Btw your cap locks was very expressive! Very.

Sic Luceat Lux

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Trion you reading this?

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Alot of fail for GamesWorkshop this and past years.

It seems that GW has turned to a model, pun intended, that focus's on cash and not quality as they used to. Now it seems as KARMA is on it's way.

I thought I had seen all the levels of rage-quit in the MMO-verse....I was wrong...table-toppers are waaaay more intence.

I wish them luck, but after WAR, I was eyeing 40K:DMO with much caution.

Games Workshop hs been like that since the 80's. Changing their figure size so that noone else's would look right in their game etc.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

And the odds of a good game coming out are just getting lower

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

They could try Cryptic, they are good at making MMOs quickly and with their new owners, PWE, it could be good.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Lulz only team up with EA if you want your game to fail  EA = rats  that know nothing about real games

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

SOE could use a new title to kill