Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When world of pandacraft comes out....

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by Kaneth

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by Teala

I have absolutely no horse (or panda) in this race but let me tell you why SOME people are pissed.

It all started as an April Fools Joke. It's as simple as that. It was a joke race. Not to be taken seriously. At all. Like ALL AFJ are. You were meant to be pissed at this.

BUT the W3 kiddies (read: children and immature adults) took it serious. Then Blizz took it serious. Now we have this. I work with about 10 people that play WoW. The ones wanting the pandas and the ones not wanting them can be guessed just by 1: their age and 2: maturity level. I'll just say that the pro-pandas also like My Little Pony and play Pokemon games on their DS during lunch.

THAT is the issue. The more mature players do not want WoW to become even more childish. Kung-fu pandas ARE childish, sorry but it's true.

tl;dr IT WAS A APRIL FOOLS JOKE NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

I play WoW, I don't mind the Pandas. I am 34, I don't play Pokemon or watch My Little Pony. I don't find Pandas to be any more or less childish than pretty much anything else in the game. Teala's posted picture says it all. Any one of those other "childish" races should have created an outrage. Although, the Draenei have often been jokingly called Protoss, but they are still tolerated.

But have the other races had major motion pictures aimed at children come out in the last few years? Again I don't care but my friends that do not like this are telling me that this makes a game that is seen as "childish" even more so now.

It was an April Fool's joke, but Blizzard ran with it. If you have been paying attention over the past 7 years, a large number of people have asked for Pandaren to be added to the game, either as horde or alliance, and in each of those threads there was an equal amount of folks who didn't care or didn't want them.

I agree. Blizz would be silly not to listen to it's fanbase. But they will piss off some of them too.

My take is that Pandaren were added because they have been a somewhat polarizing subject in previous discussions. People seemingly either love or hate them, at least those who are vocal. What better marketing tool than one that generates extremely strong emotions, either positive or negative? A strong emotional reaction still shows attachment, and creates discussion, which is just free word of mouth advertising.

Again I agree but don't be suprised or shocked when people don't want this. Tealas pic was funny and all but their is a legit reason for people not to want this.

People will deal with Pandaren, the same way they've dealt with Death Knights and "Huntards".

Yep some will bitch, others will leave.

Kung-Fu panda post dates Pandaren in WarCraft "lore". Also, for those not in the know on the posted picture, bottom row second from the right labled "bird thing". The Skettis race along with their crystals in many of the Skettis areas are an apparent spoof of "The Dark Crystal" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Crystal. The Skettis bear a very close resemblence to the Skeksis from that movie. It was a childrens movie, but yet the Skettis aren't viewed as childish. Granted, the movie came out 30 years ago now.

Bottom line is that the Kung-Fu Panda references won't stop (and I bet there are quests in MoP that will reference the movies), but the Pandaren aren't a rip off of that. Those arguments show ignorance of the Pandaren history from April Fool's joke to being placed within the universe due to their popularity.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

This is nothing more than MMORPG.com WoW hate community bashing WoW yet again.

Like someone posted above and many others have pointed out, it's just another race that has been in many MANY other games and even movies.  King-fu panda is a damn movie isn't it? 

If you don't like the damn game, don't play it.  If you want to be a zombie man warrior, play undead.  Kill yourself some of those panda's you hate so much. 

If you ask me, the only thing you should really be upset about is the new class.  It looks pretty boring to me.  I would like to see more unique classes like the Bonedancer (i think?) or the necro (again not sure if names are correct) from DOAC.  One would spawn multiple different pets to run around with and the other actually PLAYED as his pet (all spells were cast/used by the pet and the actual player would just fly around as a ghost or something)

So far, we have standard classes with ability icons that do damage...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I enjoyed BOTH kung fu panda movie quite a bit and see nothing wrong if WOW has a oriental bent, panda focused continent. Heck, i have the kung fu panda pet and i like it quite a bit.

As for LFR, i actually quit WOW and came back for it and it is a much better game now. None of this nonsense about commiting hours and hours of raid time if you want to see the end boss.

• Cameo3Cameo3 Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    None of this nonsense about commiting hours and hours of raid time if you want to see the end boss.

Which is epic. No one should be able to consider themselves "elite" or "above the rest" when pandabears come out...everything will be too dumbed down. Now I'm not saying the game wont be fun, but it'll be extremely watered down that if anyone even mutters a word about being good at the game or elite they will be laughed at until logout. :)

Member of Talon | www.lakexeno.com
    RIFT: Redcameo, Warrior, Faemist Server
    RIFT: Bluecameo, Mage, Faemist Server

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Rusty715

I will buy the xpac and play with old friends, level my main to the new cap and maybe level a panda to see what they are like. Anyone who claims to be quitting due to the Panda race has either already quit or never played the game or perhaps they are afraid their buds will make fun of them. Im way past the need to prove how macho I am so why not?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i don't care that there adding pandas. im not planning on making one. i am definately making a monk though.

I've got the straight edge.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

I for one don't have any problem with the idea of a panda race, but I think it's funny that it is clearly taken from Kung Fu Panda by the eastern feel of the thing and the fact they are adding a monk class.  Then you have the fightable tradable pets, which is clearly a take on pokemon.  When viewed together it's clear they are targeting a younger core base which for the aging more mature players that began playing around release is kind of a let down (i'd say a slap in the face but it's not really that dramatic).  Anyway, that's my two cents on why people are getting p.o'ed about this expansion.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by solarine

It's just that the western MMO playerbase seems to give any "cutesy" race a lot of flack. It's not even limited to games, really, this goes for all fantasy works.

Think Return of the Jedi and Ewoks! That movie got a lot of flack just because of the Ewoks and I'd say Ewoks actually are a big reason it's the sole movie in the classic trilogy that ranks worse than a movie from the prequel trilogy (which would be Episode III).

In WOW, Gnomes get a lot of flack for the same reason. You can see a lot of "Gnome-haters" out there! :) Likewise, whenever western players play imported Eastern games, they give small & cutesy races a lot of flack. 

So this is of little surprise. 

Indeed.

Also most of these Gnome haters play the game, so im sure a lot of the panda haters will either stay subbed or resub with MoP. IT feels like they just want to keep the flame burning on the forums too

Let's see.  Vanilla WOW treated gnomes as just another race.  They had one low level instance dedicated to them.

BC had space goats, they were a new race with only leveling content associated with them.

WOTLK, no new races.

Cataclysm gave us Goblins and Worgen.  They got new starting areas, that's it. 

MoP gives us an expansion built around a goofy race.  They aren't just another race.  They are the focus of the expansion, just like Deathwing was for Cata and Arthas was for WOTLK.

It shouldn't be that hard for people to see the difference between MoP and the other releases.

• RevenusRevenus Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by wildtalent

I for one don't have any problem with the idea of a panda race, but I think it's funny that it is clearly taken from Kung Fu Panda by the eastern feel of the thing and the fact they are adding a monk class.  

The monk clas has been coded into the game since inception but never implemented.  There are also several NPC characters in the game that are monks (see scarlet crusade.)  The game coders have stated a few times they could never work the mechanics of monk into the game within reasonable time constraints without the game mechanics changing yet again.  

Further, nothing was taken from KFP, Pandaren have had an Asian feel since WC3.  I think the race is silly and the concept of an Asian inspired zone seems unoriginal, however, at least give credit where credit is due.

I have no horse in this race I guess since I was pretty bored with the game since the end of Wrath and never bought Cat.

"There is a certain undeniable power in the void; within lies an unspoken promise of greatness, the shadowy truth that man is ruled by fear not of what is seen, but of what he perceives is seen beyond."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by solarine

It's just that the western MMO playerbase seems to give any "cutesy" race a lot of flack. It's not even limited to games, really, this goes for all fantasy works.
    Think Return of the Jedi and Ewoks! That movie got a lot of flack just because of the Ewoks and I'd say Ewoks actually are a big reason it's the sole movie in the classic trilogy that ranks worse than a movie from the prequel trilogy (which would be Episode III).
    In WOW, Gnomes get a lot of flack for the same reason. You can see a lot of "Gnome-haters" out there! :) Likewise, whenever western players play imported Eastern games, they give small & cutesy races a lot of flack. 
    So this is of little surprise. 

Indeed.

Also most of these Gnome haters play the game, so im sure a lot of the panda haters will either stay subbed or resub with MoP. IT feels like they just want to keep the flame burning on the forums too

Let's see.  Vanilla WOW treated gnomes as just another race.  They had one low level instance dedicated to them.

BC had space goats, they were a new race with only leveling content associated with them.

WOTLK, no new races.

Cataclysm gave us Goblins and Worgen.  They got new starting areas, that's it. 

MoP gives us an expansion built around a goofy race.  They aren't just another race.  They are the focus of the expansion, just like Deathwing was for Cata and Arthas was for WOTLK.

It shouldn't be that hard for people to see the difference between MoP and the other releases.

Actually you are so wrong. In TBC, the Draenei totally controlled the endgame as well as blood Elfs.

WoTLK once again totally controlled by the blood elf and high Elfs. Also the annoying Death Knight voices everywhere.

another thing you are wrong about Is the pandaren focus. We actually don't know who the main character of MoP is. That's why it's been kept secret because in past xpacs people always knew who would be the last boss. They didn't want that to happen this time around my making the main boss a mystery .... Just like how it was done in Vanilla WoW which nobody knew who the main bosses were.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I stopped playing shortly after Cataclysm, mainly because I lost interest after 3-4 years of playing the same game.  I do find the idea of pandas as characters a bit corny, but hey, I'm old.  The way I see they're redoing the skill trees is a different element.  Doesn't look too promising.  But, again, I'm not playing, so, um, have fun with that one.

ALSO:

Horse Deer Tree Man is quite possibly the most awesome Super Hero name ever.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by nethrill

I'm quite sure that will be the end of my subscription, and i've had one since just about day one. Though the expansion might appeal to some, as far as i'm concerned they're selling out and adding a huge layer of cheezwiz on top of what was once a very cool game. How long before people will be calling for a wow classic server?

my gametime remaining on wow when Guild Wars 2 launches will be spent logging in solely to say hi to friends and letting them know how fun GW2 is then logging off and playing GW2. :) Loooooooong before any expansion is out. Hell I'm sure that GW2 will have an expansion before WoW's next expansion if the team at GW2 follows in Trion's (Rifts) footsteps.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'm quite sure that will be the end of my subscription, and i've had one since just about day one. Though the expansion might appeal to some, as far as i'm concerned they're selling out and adding a huge layer of cheezwiz on top of what was once a very cool game. How long before people will be calling for a wow classic server?

So space goats and cows are fine but not pandas?

People are already calling out for a vanilla server, make a vote thread if you don´t believe me.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

My subscription has been inactive for 10 months now, but as soon as "World of Pandacraft" comes out, I'm sure I'll pick it up and reactivate. Every previous expansion has provided me with months of great entertainment, I can't see any conceivable reason why this one wouldn't.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

the whole panda thing being called childish is funny, considering gaming is pretty much considered childish all the way around.  people just need an exuse to hate on blizzard even after 7 years it'll never end haha.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

What? Did I miss something where WoW suddenly became a serious game and now is becoming un-serious again with the Pandaren?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Scalebane

the whole panda thing being called childish is funny, considering gaming is pretty much considered childish all the way around.  people just need an exuse to hate on blizzard even after 7 years it'll never end haha.

^This

I cannot understand it either, panda's are "silly" or "childish" but the MMO gaming genre as a whole is "fantasy land".  Not just for WoW but for all games.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I don't know why people complain about this.

The first expansion was colorful and "spacy" to give a stark contrast between it and the original game.

The second expansion was cold and grim, to give a contrast to the one before that.

The third expansion was a return to the ways of the original game, but this time with an apocalyptic undertone.

And now there is one that is somewhat humoristic and "eastern".

Where is the problem? Most people wanted Pandaren to play a great role, now they do. How is that bad? That the game is now "for kids"? Are you kidding me? WoW was never intended to be a game that only aims at adult serious gamers. It was a game aiming at people at all ages.

And those people who say "I feel sorry for those who invested so much time into WoW". Huh? Why? Because all people who played the game for a long time considered it a chore? They never had fun, never enjoyed it, and were only playing because they hoped to see the game do... what? The "I feel sorry for them" people simply don't understand what gaming is about. You play a game, you have fun. Why would something happening in future to the game have any impact on the fun I had with the game in the past?

And the kung fu panda thing? Warcraft and it's Pandaren race existed long before that. Should they cancel that expansion only because of a movie? Then you can basically cancel anything. "Hey, we made a sci-fi MMORPG over the past 5 years and release it tomorrow. Wait, a new sci-fi movie was aired at the cinemas today? Oh crap, now we can throw our game away!" Really?

People should stop beeing that childish. Will I buy the Pandaren expansion? I don't know. How should I? I first have to wait for how it turns out.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I fear what the Panda will do. But even so will still play just to see if I like or dislike it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Though the expansion might appeal to some? I don't know, I think people are overacting way too much over the whole panda thing. Flaming the expansion for being targeted at kids and an Asian audience? Really? That's absolutely ridiculous. I am not a kid and I don't see anything wrong with pandas. I also don't think having asian motives in the game is bad. So many games have done this before.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I don't know why people are hating on Blizzard for running a successful game for 7 years when Everquest has been going for 12 years and has 18 expansions. This is WoW's 4th.

• Teala's image really hits the mark. Especially if you're an old-school WarCraft fan who played all the RTS games, you'd know pandarens and Pandaria became part of the lore in WarCraft 3, along with many other antropomorphs. Many of us old-timers have been wondering why the Pandarens were mysteriously left out of previous expansions, while Blizzard instead introduced  space smurf demons and other lorelol.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Axxar

Teala's image really hits the mark. Especially if you're an old-school WarCraft fan who played all the RTS games, you'd know pandarens and Pandaria became part of the lore in WarCraft 3, along with many other antropomorphs. Many of us old-timers have been wondering why the Pandarens were mysteriously left out of previous expansions, while Blizzard instead introduced  space smurf demons and other lorelol.

It seems that most of the people on these boards haven't even played WC3. So their opinion on lore doesn't mean anything.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    ... I will be there to play.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So I'm curious did you get a 1 day ban for posting the title "world of pandacraft" ?