Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hopefully, this takes ages to release in NA

pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

That way, I'll have enough time to save up for a better comp!

( Joke thread, but the game is pretty stunning... reminds me of RIFT but with so much more personality!)

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by pharazonic

( Joke thread, but the game is pretty stunning... reminds me of RIFT but with so much more personality!)

I'm not really sure where you get the connection to RIFT.

RIFT is a standard themepark MMO with linear level progression and endgame instanced PvP and raiding.

ArcheAge is a sandbox(y) MMO with focus on open world PvP, community building and exploration.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by tom_gore

RIFT is a standard themepark MMO with linear level progression and endgame instanced PvP and raiding.

ArcheAge is a sandbox(y) MMO with focus on open world PvP, community building and exploration.

Visually. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

actualy there is no real focus on open world pvp, its just incl in the package, as it should be.  its were darkfall,Mo and the likes went wrong and archeage most likely will succeed.  pvp is part of a world never -the main- feature.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

AA is really more of a hybrid, so Vanguard is probably closer than Rift. It seems to be leaning a little bit more to sandboxes than VG though.

And it will take ages to get a English client, they don't even have a Western publisher yet.

I don't mind waiting a bit so the game is fixed up before launching here but I have a feeling it will be a long wait, AION took 1 1/2 years after release and they already had a Western publisher since they started working on it.

2013 at best :(

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Eladi

actualy there is no real focus on open world pvp, its just incl in the package, as it should be.  its were darkfall,Mo and the likes went wrong and archeage most likely will succeed.  pvp is part of a world never -the main- feature.

What really failed MO and DF was really bad programming, with that code PvP focus or not does not matter.

Lets hope AA have that main feature right as well, it is by far my worst fear that it will be a buggy mess.

A badly coded game can never be really big.

Visually. 

Ok. That I can relate to, even if AA has a bit more Asian touch to it (if course).

Originally posted by Eladi

Well the problem with MO and DF was and still is that PvP is practically _all_ there is to do. PvE in both games is horrible and the community building is rudimentary at best.

So let's say Open World PvP is _one_ of ArcheAges key selling points (they have a whole continent sort of dedicated to it), but it isn't the _only_ point.

Besides, MO and DF were both small-budget games with inexperienced dev teams. Both have nice concept, but the excecution fails.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Yea, this and Tera...hopefully they are spaced a part because picking between the two would be like deciding if you should cheat on your current girlfriend with your ex...just not possable.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Not Rift, if anything it reminds me of everything Darkfall tried to do but failed to achieve.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by afhn2110

Yea, this and Tera...hopefully they are spaced a part because picking between the two would be like deciding if you should cheat on your current girlfriend with your ex...just not possable.

Tera? Yea... I'd save your money if I were you. Tera isn't doing well, and for good reason. Also from what I've read and seen, ArcheAge seems to be world's apart from Tera in its current state. Nonetheless, I'm still skeptical yet hopeful.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Originally posted by doragon86

Tera? Yea... I'd save your money if I were you. Tera isn't doing well, and for good reason.

No way, I've been playing Korean Tera.  The game struggled at launch in Korea...but thats why they've taken more than a year to launch in NA.  They openly said they made mistakes and they've worked to fix them.  On the Korean server I play on...its packed and the game is fine...fail launch in Korea...yes, but fixed and set up for a great NA launch.  Very fun game.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Tera? Yea... I'd save your money if I were you. Tera isn't doing well, and for good reason.

No way, I've been playing Korean Tera.  The game struggled at launch in Korea...but thats why they've taken more than a year to launch in NA.  They openly said they made mistakes and they've worked to fix them.  On the Korean server I play on...its packed and the game is fine...fail launch in Korea...yes, but fixed and set up for a great NA launch.  Very fun game.

Compared to it's competitors, it's not doing as well as it should be. And from a business standpoint, they're letting chances slip by when it comes to an international release. They're letting other companies release their game before them, further weakening their chances of gaining a foothold in the international market. Also, certain features in the game such as the guild wars, or that politics system are badly implemented in my opinion.

SWTOR is out, Secret World is on the way, and you have Guild Wars 2 not so far away. Not a lot of people will look at the game if there are far more enticing titles out there.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Compared to it's competitors, it's not doing as well as it should be. And from a business standpoint, they're letting chances slip by when it comes to an international release. They're letting other companies release their game before them, further weakening their chances of gaining a foothold in the international market. Also, certain features in the game such as the guild wars, or that politics system are badly implemented in my opinion.

SWTOR is out, Secret World is on the way, and you have Guild Wars 2 not so far away. Not a lot of people will look at the game if there are far more enticing titles out there.

Couldn't disagree more.  While pushing back may upset some, launching a game not ready will cause even more problems.  I can speak along with others that have played it, the game is fun...but it will be a niche game.  SWTOR and Secret World are not your norm audience for a game like this...GW2...maybe, Archeage...for sure.  Still the players from games such as MO, Darkfall, EVE and others in that are in that open sandboxy market will be this games niche, esp. people that are really interested in the political system aspect.  I'm never a fanboy and I only speak about things I know about...I can honestly say that anyone I know that has played the current client very much enjoys the game.  maybe not for you...but the game is set up for success if they launch properly...its the next one coming as well.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Couldn't disagree more.  While pushing back may upset some, launching a game not ready will cause even more problems.  I can speak along with others that have played it, the game is fun...but it will be a niche game.  SWTOR and Secret World are not your norm audience for a game like this...GW2...maybe, Archeage...for sure.  Still the players from games such as MO, Darkfall, EVE and others in that are in that open sandboxy market will be this games niche, esp. people that are really interested in the political system aspect.  I'm never a fanboy and I only speak about things I know about...I can honestly say that anyone I know that has played the current client very much enjoys the game.  maybe not for you...but the game is set up for success if they launch properly...its the next one coming as well.

And let's be honest here, we already know that SWTOR sucks and TSW is failcome, lol good luck with that, not touching it with a 10ft pole unless they ditch that buggy engine (not happening) and there isn't a massive outrage after 1 month.

So that leaves GW2, only 1 MMO, and believe it or not, the world doesn't end with 1 MMO, especially when you consider that GW2 is more about esport pvp and "pvp matches", nothing like Tera open world PVP with guild wars and no factions.

IMO Tera launch date is great, by that time everyone will be already bored of all those MMOs.

Im with you man, played K-Tera for 2 weeks and i f loved the game, graphics, combat, everything was superb.

Of course they need to have features like Guild Wars, Polititcs, elections and (maybe) Server vs Server PVP ready at launch, Tera "failed" on Korea because it was basically a shell of a game, and looks like that won't happen on NA Tera.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I hope for a speedy US launch because I wanna play, and Rift sucks.

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

I think it would be a good idea for Archeage to take its time releasing in NA. There is just so much there, it will need an incredible amount of polish before picky americans (me being one) will accept it without much complaint. Now im not saying there won't be any complaing, that's what we do, but to decrease the amount of bickering would be nice.

Ive watched several game play videos and while the game is absolutely gorgeous, the combat is very lacking. I know it is in beta still, but polish buckets and buckets of polish before I will play Archeage. 

I loved Wind Waker, being able to sail the big ocean was a lot of fun, so I really can't wait to explore the gigantic ocean they have made, but I really don't like how the boats/ships move. They need some weight, when I go to turn my gallion around it better take longer than 30 second or I will be very dissatisfied. I hate how you can turn the ships on a dime, that drives me crazy. I'm not after super realisim (personally I think preaching about realism in a MMO is ridiculous) but you could at least treat the ships like ships. Especially seeing as they are 15% if the game.

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Gahnzo

Ive watched several game play videos and while the game is absolutely gorgeous, the combat is very lacking. I know it is in beta still, but polish buckets and buckets of polish before I will play Archeage. 

I loved Wind Waker, being able to sail the big ocean was a lot of fun, so I really can't wait to explore the gigantic ocean they have made, but I really don't like how the boats/ships move. They need some weight, when I go to turn my gallion around it better take longer than 30 second or I will be very dissatisfied. I hate how you can turn the ships on a dime, that drives me crazy. I'm not after super realisim (personally I think preaching about realism in a MMO is ridiculous) but you could at least treat the ships like ships. Especially seeing as they are 15% if the game.

Comfort of gameplay versus realism. The first one will win hands down on this one. Plus they obviously won't change it for one single person.

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135

AA has huge potential IMO to revitalize the sandboxy market and at least wake developers up to the potential of stepping outside the 'comfort zone' of modular themepark design.

I would love for these guys to get a publisher soon; the right publisher.

I do hope that they don't overdo it with the hype though.  I would hate for the trolls to infest this game, though they generally shy away from sandboxxes.

On the other hand it will be great to read all of the 'Ohhhhhh. . . this is what you meant when you said sandbox. . . ' posts.

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by Amate

Comfort of gameplay versus realism. The first one will win hands down on this one. Plus they obviously won't change it for one single person.

I competely agree, though i'm not asking for something that is out of the question. Applying basic machanics to a boat isn't an out there request, nor would it affect the game in any negitive way. Again i'm not looking for extream realism, just something that won't break immersion while sailing along in my dinghy. 

I like the game, I just think some small changes would do it good.  It's very well possible my concerns aren't anything to worry about though, still very much in beta so anything can change.