Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: The 10 Year Interview

13»

Comments

• CrowkillCrowkill Member Posts: 8

Finnmacool1 you crack me up man. You obvious haven't played the game at all. I have been playing is SI came out and i CURRENTLY play the game. You're making claims that aren't even true about that game which is hilarious.

Worst casting system ever? You're claims aren't even true lol if you miss, enemy blocks, or resists there is no waiting 5 seconds to recast. You don't even ahve to wait that time if you are interrupted and yes if a caster or healer has a melee class on them they shouldn't be albe to cast. Simple as that. 

If you really think the entire game is about CC you must not have actually RvRed. The game, especially RvR, is focused around taking the towers and keep of the enemy realm. While also trying to take back or steal the enemy power and strength relics that affect whatever realm controls them.

You lack of skill comment has absolute no merit at all. Not to mention the lack or PvP reward lol. You get Realm Points for PvP which you can use to buy realm abilities for you character like purge, static tempest, Ignore Paint, Master of Concentration, etc etc. You aslo get atlantean glass and scales for killing players through quests that are given by npc's. 

Every true PvP will agree that Crowd Control does play a major part in any PvP game especially one with Open World PvP. Without Crowd control PvP easily turns into who has more numbers. Simple as that.

ROFL long time at the comment that you have useless classes that can't get groups. EVERY class is able to group up and provides different advantages and disadvantages. You must of played as a stealther class which you're kind of expected to run solo and even they can get into groups for RvR so that claim isn't even close to true or accurate.

By the Way DAoC is the Herald of PvP/RvR why do you think SWTOR, GW2 developers mention DAoC for their PvP set ups? Why do you think after 10 years they still have over 2.5k members with a growing population? lol DAoC is one of the most mentioned games when developers want to relate to the PvP community. So pretty much you're just trolling becasue of you're lack of accurate information. I bet you think WoW arena PvP is the best out there oh and you listed all those games you played btw trials don't give you the all knowing wisdom about a game unlike someone who as actually plays the game it full time

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by garrett

Best PvP in any MMO ever....Best system to get into PvP by having multiple Warzones.

The idea of 3 factions was also the best ever!

Sadly 2 faction warfare came later with WoW and every game copied that.

Now -a- days with instancing so common, you could set up an amazing warzone system for a game.

Also, no other game has been able to capture faction pride like DAOC. They talk about it, but no one has come close.

One of the best MMOs ever and sadly people copy WoW....

The camaraderie amongst realm mates in DAoC has never been replicated in any other MMO that I've ever played without question. 

The majority of any input I have on these forums is generally lamenting the mechanics from pre-WoW MMOs, as they have not been revisited with modern technology, so I can easily agree with you there as well.

This is the game that dragged me away from Evercrack (ofcourse I revisited often) and hooked me on PvP, it's also the game that, for me, completely disproved the commonly repeated theory that no MMO will ever match the love you had for your first.

That this game hasn't received a true sequel (WAR doesn't count as they're similar to an extent on paper, but vastly different in practice) or an updated version leaves me shaking my head in amazement. If they cleaned up the quest system, overhauled the graphics &UI, made the overall mechanics more accessible and transparent from the start, I'm pretty sure a large number of people that mised this the first time around would appreciate what a gem it truly is.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by Crowkill

Finnmacool1 you crack me up man. You obvious haven't played the game at all. I have been playing is SI came out and i CURRENTLY play the game. You're making claims that aren't even true about that game which is hilarious.

Worst casting system ever? You're claims aren't even true lol if you miss, enemy blocks, or resists there is no waiting 5 seconds to recast. You don't even ahve to wait that time if you are interrupted and yes if a caster or healer has a melee class on them they shouldn't be albe to cast. Simple as that. 

If you really think the entire game is about CC you must not have actually RvRed. The game, especially RvR, is focused around taking the towers and keep of the enemy realm. While also trying to take back or steal the enemy power and strength relics that affect whatever realm controls them.

You lack of skill comment has absolute no merit at all. Not to mention the lack or PvP reward lol. You get Realm Points for PvP which you can use to buy realm abilities for you character like purge, static tempest, Ignore Paint, Master of Concentration, etc etc. You aslo get atlantean glass and scales for killing players through quests that are given by npc's. 

Every true PvP will agree that Crowd Control does play a major part in any PvP game especially one with Open World PvP. Without Crowd control PvP easily turns into who has more numbers. Simple as that.

ROFL long time at the comment that you have useless classes that can't get groups. EVERY class is able to group up and provides different advantages and disadvantages. You must of played as a stealther class which you're kind of expected to run solo and even they can get into groups for RvR so that claim isn't even close to true or accurate.

By the Way DAoC is the Herald of PvP/RvR why do you think SWTOR, GW2 developers mention DAoC for their PvP set ups? Why do you think after 10 years they still have over 2.5k members with a growing population? lol DAoC is one of the most mentioned games when developers want to relate to the PvP community. So pretty much you're just trolling becasue of you're lack of accurate information. I bet you think WoW arena PvP is the best out there oh and you listed all those games you played btw trials don't give you the all knowing wisdom about a game unlike someone who as actually plays the game it full time

I logged in 4 days ago. I was there at release and have played extensively but im not going to continue to break down these silly troll posts. I think you are the fourth person to come troll me and this thread with 1-4 posts to your name(all on this thread).

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

DAoC, as it stands now, is a shadow of a shell of its former self. That's why so few are playing.

At its height, it was the MMO that had the most perfect balance between crafting, PvE, and PvP. It managed to juggle all these spheres where other MMOs failed just attempting one.

But first, /level 20 happened, then Trials of Atlantis, then instancing was the final nail in the coffin. Almost everything that made this game great is gone, long gone in some cases. The glut of high level abilities further strips any kind of unique feel to the classes. The classes I once loved for having no magical abilities now have mana bars and spells.

But, it all could have been fixed. Mythic was in the process of making a classic server, to roll things back to the way it used to be, just classic Camelot, no expansions. The response was OVERWHELMING, with people I hadn't talked to for 5 years suddenly reappearing.

Then we were all reminded why none of us were playing anymore, Mythic has no idea what they're doing, and the people who made this game great originally aren't there anymore. Instead of doing pure classic Mythic started talking about frontier safe zones, instances, keeping the class updates (like the unpopular archery update that made them casters with stealth) and other moronic decisions. They lost the spirit, they lost the vision.

And then, we get word from the head of Mythic that the response "wasn't big enough", directly contradicting what he said in an earlier interview. So, they canned the classic project.

The real reason? WAR tanked, and tanked hard. So EA didn't want them spending ANY time on Camelot, they wanted all of Mythic's main force bailing water on that sinking ship. Now, we're left with a splinter of a splinter, running the game, added stupid unneeded features like Bioware style morality quests so you can solo even easier, dumbing down mechanics that don't need to be changed, and further pulling away from their only profitable model.

DAoC is dead, long live the King.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Originally posted by Garvon3

DAoC, as it stands now, is a shadow of a shell of its former self. That's why so few are playing.

At its height, it was the MMO that had the most perfect balance between crafting, PvE, and PvP. It managed to juggle all these spheres where other MMOs failed just attempting one.

But first, /level 20 happened, then Trials of Atlantis, then instancing was the final nail in the coffin. Almost everything that made this game great is gone, long gone in some cases. The glut of high level abilities further strips any kind of unique feel to the classes. The classes I once loved for having no magical abilities now have mana bars and spells.

But, it all could have been fixed. Mythic was in the process of making a classic server, to roll things back to the way it used to be, just classic Camelot, no expansions. The response was OVERWHELMING, with people I hadn't talked to for 5 years suddenly reappearing.

Then we were all reminded why none of us were playing anymore, Mythic has no idea what they're doing, and the people who made this game great originally aren't there anymore. Instead of doing pure classic Mythic started talking about frontier safe zones, instances, keeping the class updates (like the unpopular archery update that made them casters with stealth) and other moronic decisions. They lost the spirit, they lost the vision.

And then, we get word from the head of Mythic that the response "wasn't big enough", directly contradicting what he said in an earlier interview. So, they canned the classic project.

The real reason? WAR tanked, and tanked hard. So EA didn't want them spending ANY time on Camelot, they wanted all of Mythic's main force bailing water on that sinking ship. Now, we're left with a splinter of a splinter, running the game, added stupid unneeded features like Bioware style morality quests so you can solo even easier, dumbing down mechanics that don't need to be changed, and further pulling away from their only profitable model.

DAoC is dead, long live the King.

Pretty much this. Good night sweet prince. I wish Mythic would just break from EA and make a spiritual successor, or make that classic server... but as you said, its clear they have no idea how to make MMOs anymore.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

What I liked the most about DAoC:

- The realms and the opportunities for roleplaying they offered. Realm pride and a different ambiance in each realm.

- Nice mix of classes, even if all classes were not equally popular.

- Melee system, reactional + positional styles made both PvP and PvE something you had to pay attention to.

- The equipment set-up: Caps on stats, making combinations of drops and crafted gear the best available.

- The madness of zerges colliding, MileGate defences, relic raids. RvR was not small scale 8vs8. Its was the clash of armies. Collision detection would have made fun times even better.

- A monster rating system that did not divide mobs into solo or group challenges. Solo? Fight Yellow and blues (at least in the beginning). Grouped? Go for reds. Solid group? Attempt the purples.

- Not tons of pointless quests. The grind might have been hated, but it allowed groups to stay together for more than 20 min tops, which in turn allowed you to get to know people outside your guild.

- Alliance system: Providing guilds with a channel to communicate with allies allowed smaller guilds to cooperate without the relentless need for recruitment of new players. Amazing that no other game I have played has done this.

Where DAoC lacked:

- Expansion classes, never liked them.

- ToA: Bad idea overall. Artifacts made balancing impossible. MLs offered powers that were too much: why gather several groups to take out the centaurs when a Summoning SM with ML9 and a shaman bot can do the job?

- Too many class specs were no good in RvR: How many RvR'd with Dark-spec Bone Dancers or the above mentioned Summ-spec SMs? Supp-RMs anyone?

- LotM expansion: Further break for original lore, and crystals (or what they were called) that made balancing even harder.

- New frontiers: Generic castles looked terrible compared to the old ones. Relic castles were just wrong. The placement of many towers were just stupid, a ROTC cadet could have taken one look at the map and pointed out which towers were pointless to try to defend. The big island that popped up in the middle of the North Sea (between the frontiers of all three realms.)

The game was wonderful at release, even with bugs and other problems, but Mythic maximized every opportunity to make the wrong decision afterwards.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by kishe

If only they upgraded the graphics engine and modernized the UI, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

nail on the head and get rid of most the redundent grind, I know most is gone now, but eh, at this point let old and new just vamp and and work on realm rank :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• CesardCesard Member Posts: 1

I played DAoC since it came out, for about 5 years.. Was on Palomides Hibernia, because I always liked playing the underdog realm.

Why did I leave after 5 years?  WoW was just released.  I started playing WoW in open beta, while still maintaining my game in DAoC.  Eventually I gave my DAoC account to a friend, and focused on WoW.  Why?  Because... the thing that struck me most about WoW was its smoothness, and playability.  After the chunky graphics and UI experience in DAoC, to me the smoothness of WoW was like changing from always having worn burlap underwear to wearing silk underwear.  So I guess it was gameplay. That, and for some reason I always had a hate on for DAoC's customer service.

Now, I have played other games.. UO was hella fun. I wish more MMOs had as open a concept as UO did.  A true wild west, lawless, no holds barred game.

So.. I guess I'm reiterating what others have said.. the graphics and UI need updating, and have needed it since WoW came out.

I currently play SWTOR, and over the years people have talked about "end game" as if they knew what it was.  I noticed this in WoW, and more recently, in SWTOR.  People nod sagely when they talk about the "end game".  I tell them they have no clue what end game is.. They've been brain washed by WoW into thinking that end game means more meaningless grinding, 5 more levels added on, more new dungeons and raids which are really the same old grind, but with different scenery.  I try to explain to them that the only game that "got" the end game was DAoC, but of course they don't get it.  EVE also got the end game right, I think.

I'm enjoying SWTOR, but I have very little hopes that they will "get" the end game, like DAoC did. WoW has killed the end game concept in MMOs, because WoW's concept is what people have come to think "end game" means, now.  Even other MMOs like SWTOR seem to be following the WoW paradigm for "end game".

Tell me, I forget the lady's name.. the DAoC community manager who was always posting news and info and was very active.. is she still around?

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Go F2P. It's time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Cesard

Tell me, I forget the lady's name.. the DAoC community manager who was always posting news and info and was very active.. is she still around?

shes a staff writer at mmorpg.com, Sanya Weathers

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/2997/page/1

her old Tweety rants from yesteryear

http://web.archive.org/web/20010302155003/tweety.bowlofmice.com/tweety/index.html