Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the success of blizzard, bioware, Bethesda NEXT?

With the hugely successful game companies like blizzard, bioware, I hope to see bethesda get into the MMO ring. 

I have a great confidence that they will make some type of successfull sandboxy game.

Hopefully Bethesda annonce something of the sort this year. 

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

WOW is successful yes!

SWTOR isn't even close to going down as successful, you need to wait a few years for that.

Bethesda's games are not MMOs and can not be made into MMOs. I hope they never try to make a Elder Scrolls MMOs it will kill the franchise!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bethesda
    And valve
    Are the 2 you would think would bring good will with them.if they made a mmo

However zenimax, Bethesdas parent company already have a mmo division which has been secretly working away for
  • SheepduckSheepduck Member Posts: 32
    Bethesda is too great of a developer to be corrupted by the retards in the mmorpg community. I hope they never make an mmo
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Thorbrand

WOW is successful yes!

SWTOR isn't even close to going down as successful, you need to wait a few years for that.

Bethesda's games are not MMOs and can not be made into MMOs. I hope they never try to make a Elder Scrolls MMOs it will kill the franchise!

Well, there is one Elder scroll multiplayer game: Battlespire. There you can play a team doing a huge dungeon.

Turning that IP into a good MMO is possible but there is of course also the possibility they would botch it up.

They have however said that their MMO isn´t set in the Elder scrolls.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Starwars001

With the hugely successful game companies like blizzard, bioware, I hope to see bethesda get into the MMO ring. 

I have a great confidence that they will make some type of successfull sandboxy game.

I bet Bethesda is 10x more able to create a mmorpg than Bioware is.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

ditto on the comment above

SWTOR is far from being successful still.

wait at least 6 months before making this decision.

Usually, you can tell how MMO is doing if they merge servers or open new servers.

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Originally posted by Volgore

Creating an MMO and knowing what "functionality" to provide, and how to implement, creates a very different dynamic than single-player games. That said, if game companies listened to what people complain most about at MMO launches (lack of guild functionality, poorly designed PVP, lack of content, more socialization aspects), and plan accordingly, I don't see why any company cannot release a halfway decent MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not so sure. Biowares "Neverwinter nights" were a really good multiplayer game. What do Bethesda have that is similar? Battlespire?

Bethesda have even less experience than Bioware with multiplayer games. They might get it right of course but I want some kind of proof for that before I get hyped up, all Bethesdas good games have been single player only.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

what makes you think they would make a sandbox game?

They see how much EA just made off a game that is half done, they would probably do the same thing. it would just be another cloned thempark instanced no pvp game like the rest of these games that copy wow.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Talin

Creating an MMO and knowing what "functionality" to provide, and how to implement, creates a very different dynamic than single-player games. That said, if game companies listened to what people complain most about at MMO launches (lack of guild functionality, poorly designed PVP, lack of content, more socialization aspects), and plan accordingly, I don't see why any company cannot release a halfway decent MMO.

Because all the do is looking back instead forward. So they constantly repeat stuff that worked for 10 years -despite people being fed up with said stuff for years already.

They shouldn't copy what worked in the past, but innovate something that works for the future.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Seems everyone is trying to jump on the MMO bandwagon. I personally hope the dont make an MMO.

Stick to SP games IMO. If they start with the MMO business then the SP games ( which I love ) will suffer for it. IMO

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Unless Bethesda allowed its players to MOD the MMO they made it would be a complete failure. Utterly. I can see it now. A 2 button interface, CTD's every 5 minutes, video cards melting down, Companions worse than STWOR's ones, craffting that can be maxed in 15 minutes, yeah.....

No thanks. They make some stellar single player games (after modding imo) but yeah let them stay in that area of expertise. We already have enough BIG name companies producing garbage. No need for more trash in the pile.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Loke666

I am not so sure. Biowares "Neverwinter nights" were a really good multiplayer game. What do Bethesda have that is similar? Battlespire?

Bethesda have even less experience than Bioware with multiplayer games. They might get it right of course but I want some kind of proof for that before I get hyped up, all Bethesdas good games have been single player only.

I agree. There's also the problem that Bethesda = buggy. If you look at companies that have moved from SPGs to MMOs, the bugs seem to multiply from one into the other. This would be bad news for Bethesda if they carried on that tradition based on their track record.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I think the big problem with Bethesad making a MMO is people would think they are going to get the game experience of a elder scrolls game in an MMO. IMPOSSIBLE to do BTW! You will never have an MMO like Elder Scroll games.

I do think if Bethesda made a MMO it would be like they single player games, Unmatched by anyone else, other companies can't even come close.

However, most MMO gamers today don't like sandbox games which Bethesda is the master of single plalyer sandbox games. Of course they might be the ones to bring sandbox back to MMOs if all the sandbox games this year fail.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Loke666

I agree. There's also the problem that Bethesda = buggy. If you look at companies that have moved from SPGs to MMOs, the bugs seem to multiply from one into the other. This would be bad news for Bethesda if they carried on that tradition based on their track record.

Sorry had to quote this. Bethesda games are buggy yes but they are also 1000X more advanced than any other game out there if you look at everything the games offer. Given that any other developer couldn't even make the games Bethesda can make I think they are allowed to have a few bugs to fix, which they do regularly.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Based on the fact that Skyrim plays better than all (ThemePark) MMOs I would tend to agree with you.

They seem to have understood the virtual, persistant world concept, Bioware either didn't understand or didn't care.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by lalartu

ditto on the comment above

SWTOR is far from being successful still.

wait at least 6 months before making this decision.

Usually, you can tell how MMO is doing if they merge servers or open new servers.

Good point, have they opened any new servers recently?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Talin

one thing I would not worry about with the zenimax MMO is PVP, considering who is the boss of zenimax MMO division

http://www.zenimaxonline.com/about.html

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

If Bethesda got into the MMO market, I think they would find that constant game-ruining bugs,  a total lack of balance in any abilities, and the same 10 monsters and 5 textures being streeeeeetched into 150 hours of 'content' would be pretty strongly frowned upon.

Well, maybe not that last one. Most MMO players I know seem completely content to kill 9001 Draugr.

If Skyrim was an MMO, it would be heralded as one of the worst of our times.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

sounds like they have the rights to a Fallout mmo if they have interest

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-09-fallout-mmo-rights-revert-to-bethesda

• roby55roby55 Member Posts: 11

Take it from a guy who buys alot of Bethesda games . Bethesda WOULD FAIL if they made a mmo mark my words

I have been playing The Fall out and elder scrolls series for a long time Bethesda ALWAYS rely on their community to fix their bugs and game breaking glitches.

Bethesda are known for releasing a buggy and glitchy game (great games but still alot of flaws when it comes to optimizations) . Releasing a MMo that has full of bugs and glitches will kill your game before you can even say Bethesda in the first month .

There is no Coming back once a MMo in todays generation Fail to impress in the first few weeks .

And if your a true Bethesda Fan you know that Bethesda are AWFUL at story telling . The elder scrolls series games has always been great for exploration and immersion but One huge flaw is always their main plot which is truly terrible . Bethesda cant tell a good story at all.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

A Fallout MMO I would go for more than an Elder Scrolls MMO. But at the same time, I dunno...Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't feel very much like survival in a wasteland. I had to heavily mod it with various things, to make it actually feel like the apocalypse and I had to fight to survive.

I think an Elder Scrolls MMO would be better (for me), as it isn't really about surviving or being in an environment you would expect to need to survive in...and most, or at least, a lot, of people would hate that very hardcore experience. An umodded Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind played just fine for the most part. Better modded, but vanilla to me, is just fine in those three.

I would rather them stick with singleplayer games...one of the bigger selling points on the PC, is each individual can keep the vanilla experience...or mod the game as much or little to his/her liking (and each person has different things he wants in his/her game)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by roby55

Take it from a guy who buys alot of Bethesda games . Bethesda WOULD FAIL if they made a mmo mark my words

I have been playing The Fall out and elder scrolls series for a long time Bethesda ALWAYS rely on their community to fix their bugs and game breaking glitches.

Bethesda are known for releasing a buggy and glitchy game (great games but still alot of flaws when it comes to optimizations) . Releasing a MMo that has full of bugs and glitches will kill your game before you can even say Bethesda in the first month .

There is no Coming back once a MMo in todays generation Fail to impress in the first few weeks .

And if your a true Bethesda Fan you know that Bethesda are a AWFUL story telling . The elder scrolls series games has always been great for exploration and immersion but One huge flaw is always their main plot which is truly terrible . Bethesda cant tell a good story at all.

I would argue that story should be second to exploration and other fulfilling activities. The Elder Scrolls game have always had an engrossing world and lore, and I feel a sandbox MMO would be befitting of the series.

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by roby55

Take it from a guRules of Conducty who buys alot of Bethesda games . Bethesda WOULD FAIL if they made a mmo mark my words

And if your a true Bethesda Fan you know that Bethesda are AWFUL at story telling . The elder scrolls series games has always been great for exploration and immersion but One huge flaw is always their main plot which is truly terrible . Bethesda cant tell a good story at all.

THis guy speaks the truth.  Think back to recent failed MMO launches, and what made their communities rage.   Bethesda games are routinely guilty of all of those things.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I really hope Bethesda doesn't go the MMO route.  Both Blizzard and BioWare gave up alot of what made them special from their earlier years on their road to being big and into MMOs.  And the MMORPG genre cemented these negative changes even further.

It would be a great thing for Bethesda to never go that route.  Two of the biggest names of old school RPGs have gone down the tubes, Blizzard and BioWare.  I don't want Bethesda to go that route, one of the last big name RPG developers of good reputation remaining.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)