Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great News!! Congrats Bioware

What a great accomplishment!

This only means that great content is coming our way! 

I mentionned before the 2 million copies sold (source was vgchartz), but obviously, it was lies.  Now it's confirmed.

1.7 million active subs is amazing!!

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

As big as alot of bugs are, and as lot of silly mistakes Biware has made, and as many QQ's that flow freely from the forums I still believe that SWTOR has tons of growing room and potential.  I renewed my subscrip based on anecdotal evidence that this game like WoW has plenty of room to grow and will only get better especially considering the amount of bug fixes (which are relatively minor) and the amount of blog updates and vision statements that have gone out over the last month. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I seriously doubt there is 1.7 million active subs after the free 30 days. The 1.7 million is more likely to be the number of people who activated the game from purchase, and forced to set up a subscription.

When you take into consideration people buying the game and not yet activating for several reasons, plus then you get people who will not sub to it after playing it, that 1.7 million (85% of sales) is just too high for active subscribers after the 30 days.

If they sold 4 million or had a bit less than 1 million subscribers then that would be more believable for actual subscibers following the 30 days. Plus it states it is figures for year end Dec 31st 2011, and at that time there were no paying subscribers until at least Jan 20th

The actual sub numbers for today / after the first 30 days are still unknown

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Here's the thing:

For what they set out to make, i actually don't think there's much room for improvement.

But unfortunately, many people on this site do not like what they set out to make. So all they can do really from this point is add more fluff and speaches.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by superniceguy

I seriously doubt there is 1.7 million active subs after the free 30 days. The 1.7 million is more likely to be the number of people who activated the game from purchase, and forced to set up a subscription.

When you take into consideration people buying the game and not yet activating for several reasons, plus then you get people who will not sub to it after playing it, that 1.7 million (85% of sales) is just too high for active subscribers after the 30 days.

If they sold 4 million or had a bit less than 1 million subscribers then that would be more believable for actual subscibers following the 30 days. Plus it states it is figures for year end Dec 31st 2011, and at that time there were no paying subscribers until at least Jan 20th

The aforementioned numbers are from 6 weeks after release. Now, i don't know how you measure time over there but here 6 weeks = 42 days. 

http://www.swtor.com/news/press-release/20120201

Originally posted by Shodanas

The aforementioned numbers are from 6 weeks after release. Now, i don't know how you measure time over there but here 6 weeks = 42 days. 

http://www.swtor.com/news/press-release/20120201

I believe that about 15% of people have not yet activated the game yet, so that leaves 100% people subscribing from activating the game? I don't think so, unless we are all Borg!

I believe the 1.7 is based off  people who have had active subscriptions over the 6 weeks, and everyone had active subscriptions until Jan 20th/Jan 22nd

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    If you believe it... it must be true!!!
  • ChillwolfChillwolf Member Posts: 33

There is a follow up QA. 

"Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?

A: Active subscribers means anyone paying or in their trial period. Most of those 1.7m are paying at this point"

I am sure the folks who seem invested in seeing SWTOR crash and burn will still argue the numbers until they are blue in the face.  I have my issues with the game, but I enjoy playing and have 3 subscriptions in my house so I guess I am one of the 1.7 million.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I believe that about 15% of people have not yet activated the game yet,

Yeah. Gamers are reknowned for rushing out to buy a game and then leave it setting on their shelf for a month.

Or...

2 million purchased the game, 300,000 have left the game, and there are 1.7 million people playing.  

I can only imagine how many subs they will get when they release it in Asia. 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Yeah. Gamers are reknowned for rushing out to buy a game and then leave it setting on their shelf for a month.

Or...

2 million purchased the game, 300,000 have left the game, and there are 1.7 million people playing.  

Not very many because asians generally like to grind stuff out. Atm there is really nothing to grind on except go around in circles on your mount in either fleet at 50 waiting to do bugged instances with friends.  Yeh they will love this, Lineage 3 won't be their go to game when it launches.

Im pleased I paid for a month extra got another toon up etc but for now my family and I are bored entirely and will go elsewhere.

Or...

1. It could be a present and people not got around to playing yet

2. PC was not campatible and in process of getting a new one

3. Waiut for mad rush to be over and less queue times

4. Buy about 3 copies and only activate 1, as in my case

5. People buy many more copies to sell for profit when shops go out of stock, which never happened

6. as it is subbed based wait for more free time to play it, and preordered to get bnuses

plus there could be many more reasons I have not yet thought of

Originally posted by Wicoa

Or...

Yeh they will love this, Lineage 3 won't be their go to game when it launches.

Then we are in agreement.   Asia will love this game!

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

a great accomplishment indeed...Ow wait..I unsubbed.....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

5. People buy many more copies to sell for profit when shops go out of stock, which never happened

6. as it is subbed based wait for more free time to play it, and preordered to get bnuses

Or...... and hang in there with me on this one....

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Well if we were to listen to some of the folks, on this site, you would have us believing that TOR is going to lose subs as fast/faster than SWG did at launch. Even with the issues BW has had, it still isnt half as buggy, not to mention devoid of launch content as SWG was. Thus to expect this game to plumment as fast as SWG is kind of silly IMO.

Being a devout SWG fan, and one that makes thieir opinion heard here constantly,  I gotta wonder how it makes you feel for TOR to sell as many copies in a month than SWG did pretty much thru its entire existence? Expansions included.

After 2M copies already sold, I think the prospect of SWG 2 is now officially buried.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

thats basically it

what the conference says:

300k already dropped 

unknown amount of people out of those 1.7m that have an active subscription for nex months

unknown amount of people who have had their first billing cycle completed, and still has an active subscription

what biodrones want us to believe:  

1.7m still subbed and happily paying for it after the free month

lol biodrones

lol

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

So all counted in, they have 1M. - 1.5M paying subscribers.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

I guess there is at least one statistics nobody argues about - more than 2 million copies sold. Considering a common practice I can say that most of those numbers were sold in first ten days. I.e. before January 1st. Well, if most of those buyers haven't renewed a subscription there would be a big drop of players' numbers which hasn't happened so far. So perhaps these 1.7 million goes with some of a later buyers who were forced to subscribe, but it's obvious that a lot of people have renewed their subscriptions.

There is no way that being the case.

and

7. People play in early access and get enough and wait to see if the bugs gets fixed or stuff gets added into the game through updates / expansions before activating the game

Even with single player Xbox games not everyones buys the game and immediately plays the game, but when you factor in that this is a MMO which improves and alters over time, and it had early access where people could play for free for up to 7 days, and there was christmas where people may not have had time to play due to spending it with family instead or getting the game as a christmas present so may not be ready to play immediately like they more likely would be ready to play the game immediately if bought it themselves

then the % of people not activating the product straight away is a lot higher.

• ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106

I believe it's true. I have seen so many people around me that picked up SWTOR and actually enjoy the game, they all have resubbed, and  part of them are not even MMO-players, it's their first MMO. About leaving a box closed, I did it with WoW. I bought the game but did not install it till months later. I presume not 300k have not opened the box yet, but part of them surely did not. Not everyone is in a hurry to play a game. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

SWTOR owns and hopefully all the devs will start copying Biowares epic succes!!!!

and congrats!!!

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Some of you baffle me.  You do realize any misleading or out right lies in a financial report to stock holders would be fraud right ?   The people saying the numbers are lies are you mentally ill ?   None of you know when the 1.7 mil number is from so stop trying to pretend you do.  Fact is this game sold 2 million copies if you give it the avg retention rate of a new MMO (50%) it still has over 1 mil subs right now at the very least.     

Originally posted by Moaky07

Well if we were to listen to some of the folks, on this site, you would have us believing that TOR is going to lose subs as fast/faster than SWG did at launch. Even with the issues BW has had, it still isnt half as buggy, not to mention devoid of launch content as SWG was. Thus to expect this game to plumment as fast as SWG is kind of silly IMO.

Being a devout SWG fan, and one that makes thieir opinion heard here constantly,  I gotta wonder how it makes you feel for TOR to sell as many copies in a month than SWG did pretty much thru its entire existence? Expansions included.

After 2M copies already sold, I think the prospect of SWG 2 is now officially buried.

Looking at Xfire it now has only over 7K players, when it started it had over 10K players. TOR has lost 30% Xfire users, and that is not even counting the unused copies

I do not care how many it sells, what matters is how many subscriptions they can sustain for a period of time. I hope subscriptions do drop drastically so they can add in more things than just story content, it needs more stuff to tinker with, which people play with more than content the devs dish out. SWG could have had no more content added to it, and I stiull would have subbed to it forever, as the systems in the game were enough to keep people playing and subbing constantly, as the players mainly created the content, and not the devs.

Bioware knows the true figures, and if they are bad, hopefully they are in works as we speak to add the stuff. Hopefully people will not see these figures and keep playing the game even if they do not like it to try and see why 1.7 million are playing it when it is not the case.

SWTOR needs to fail hard initially to improve for the long run.

Originally posted by ghaiana

I believe it's true. I have seen so many people around me that picked up SWTOR and actually enjoy the game, they all have resubbed, and  part of them are not even MMO-players, it's their first MMO. About leaving a box closed, I did it with WoW. I bought the game but did not install it till months later. I presume not 300k have not opened the box yet, but part of them surely did not. Not everyone is in a hurry to play a game. 

That is not the only reason for not subbing to a game staight away.

I bought 3 copies, I have played the game, but 2 of my purchases have not done so. It will do when more stuff gets added to the game and need more than 8 characters per server. If it does not happen soon, then I may sell them, before start selling in the shops for 50% of the RRP

Plus many other reasons as stated before

So, it is quite viable that 300,000 have not been opened

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by William12

Some of you baffle me.  You do realize any misleading or out right lies in a financial report to stock holders would be fraud right ?   The people saying the numbers are lies are you mentally ill ?   None of you know when the 1.7 mil number is from so stop trying to pretend you do.  Fact is this game sold 2 million copies if you give it the avg retention rate of a new MMO (50%) it still has over 1 mil subs right now at the very least.     

I can agree with that but some people are saying the 1.7 million is the current subscriber base and I have my doubts about that. The report is for 2011 so why then give the subscriber base for Feb 2012? Wouldn't that be fradulent?

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by matraque

What a great accomplishment!

This only means that great content is coming our way! 

I mentionned before the 2 million copies sold (source was vgchartz), but obviously, it was lies.  Now it's confirmed.

1.7 million active subs is amazing!!

Congratulations to Bioware once again for producing the greatest mmo to date.

1.7million players cant be wrong.

Keep up  the good work.

This discussion has been closed.