Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Investors' Conference Call Reveals Data

Comments

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by I_Return

a fact is an exact number. This is not factual data, it is investor fluff to pull the declining stock  up before things get worse. Thanks fo rthe read though, it is defininetly panic mode at EA and Bioware when they need to talk numbers this early in the game.

Investor expected  5 million + sub sales.... they expected WoW like numbers, anything less was a failure to "an investor"

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32605/Analyst_Wary_EA_Investors_Betting_Against_SWTOR.php

They are not giving accounts create,  they are not giving forum registrations.  They are giving hard sales numbers.    Right now things do not look that bad.  Things can still change but right now your doom and gloom assassements is just retarded.

Please never go into any industry analytical.

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

If number of posts here is an indication of swtor buzz , the game is doing very well indeed ...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I will not be renewing my subscription, even though I have the Collector's Edition.

SWTOR has enough storylines and instances. It now needs to branch out into whole-universe PvP and player-made content.

I don't think this will happen because this isn't the sort of management BioWare seem to have.

I've returned to Eve Online already.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by Deathenger

a fact is an exact number. This is not factual data, it is investor fluff to pull the declining stock  up before things get worse. Thanks fo rthe read though, it is defininetly panic mode at EA and Bioware when they need to talk numbers this early in the game.

Investor expected  5 million + sub sales.... they expected WoW like numbers, anything less was a failure to "an investor"

This

Are you both escaped mental patients?  Investors expected to pick up HALF of wows subsciption numbers (a 7 year old game) after its first month.  My god the things people will do to try to make a point.

Actually, I think most of the 'analysts' on this thread are wrong. What matters is the 'trend'.

It's too early to say what the trend will be.

I think SWTOR needs to change to continue to flourish. However, in my experience, the world is full of retarded people who will buy into anything! So who really knows!

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

For the 3 non re-subs, I counter with my guilds 27 subs. I win you loose, move along nothing to see here. lol

edit: ok ok, in all seriousness now, I do like the game and will continue to sub along with my guild, we find enjoyment here and those numbers I beleive for a number of reasons, heck we have 3 new players join today from friend recommendations, it will go up and down like any mmo. It was nice to see however more content releasing coming up sooner then I thought. Heck the recent content release was a shocker for all of us playing, we didn't expect anything till mid year. For us at least, we are enjoying the game. Haters can hate, but in the end, more MMO's on the horizon and SWTOR will be a distant memory to most of you.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Some people will question everything and they will refuse to see a little further, no matter what, just because they have lots of hate to release. They loose hours in these forums, fighting their crusade. No matter how many posts they write, they are a water drop. Meanwhile thousands dont give a f about those posts and have a happier time playing. Peace is a lie.
  • Templar2401Templar2401 Member Posts: 3

To all the haters , let old grandpa Jack tell you a thing or two about WoW.

When WoW was released, the european servers went up about 3-4 months after the US release. Even a year after they went up, it was fairly common for them to go down without a reason for a day or two. So stability in WoW untill 2006 was as fantastical as the games story is.

So , stability wise, SW:TOR 1 :WoW 0

I mean, isnt.

There is NO story in WoW, unless you think kill x number of x creature, because they did x to me , then go to another zone and do the same thing, then go to a raid where you dont even know what the raid is about a story. And they had 7 years to do asomething about it.

Story : SW:TOR 2 :WoW 0

Graphics - im playing this game on a dual core 2.0GHz, Intel 2160, HD 3870 Radeon, and 2 giga ram, and the game is playable more than WoW is. So, optimization is better in SW:TOR than in WoW. I get sick from people who say that they can play WoW on their 5 year old laptops. Thats a lie.

Optimization SW:TOR 3 : WoW 0

Warzones - when WoW was released, the only way to get into a warzone was to literally go to a certain place and then enter it. The warzones were a mess, and the horde was winning almost every battle. Because pvp is a mess in SW:TOR as well, lets put a equal sign here.

PVP SW:TOR 4 : WoW 1

Raids and end game content. - when WoW was released, it only had one raid and three instances (if im not mistaken). Sw:TOR already has twice as more raids, and many more instances than WoW.

End game content SW:TOR 5 : WoW 1

As far as the patches are concerned. Rest as a game mechanic was put in patch 1.2 , and the first 12 pathces were balance tweaks and raids. Patch 1.10 (that was almost a year and a half after the release of the game) introudced weather effects. Also, the raids in WoW were extremely difficult to get into, and most of the peopel playing the game didnt even care for them . So, the patches were not really important for 99 percent of the population.

PAtching - SW:TOR 6 WOW 1

Now, WoW has empty servers, its a dead game, and stil lyoucome here and talk about SW:TOR as if its a failure. Old grandpa Jack knows better, you can lie to your younger friends, but the reason WoW has 10 million subs, is because of China, and in China you pay a game card with number of hours you can play, that means they are measuring current active logins. That means that if i buy an hour card with 100 hours, and login three months in a row with it, they count it as one active subscriber three mounts in a row.

At the end, im pleased with SW:TOR, they are doing good, they need couple of things such as :

visual customization for the inside of the ship.

day/night cycle, weather effects.

extended space combat (either more missions/gear to get from it, or completely free to fly space combat )

Swimming (maybe an expansion with water worlds?)

Ability to ride an animal (maybe SWG principle, you buy an egg and it grows to a mount?)

Tweaks to the talent trees, maybe dual spec.

And, of course, pvp tweaks,bug fixes and new content which never end.

So thats old grandpa Jacks story kids. As far as GW 2 goes, its the only other game that can take SW:TOR's subscribers.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

The report doesn't say anything really! The only FACTual numbers are the box sales and how many people actually CREATED an account before 31st of Dec 2011!

It does NOT say anything at all about how many people actually converted to a PAYING subscription in January! We will have to wait for the Q4 report for that.

Anyone actually playing the game and paying close attention to what's going on currently knows that there has been quite a drop off in players after the 30 days Trial was finished and people had to start paying!

Every single MMO the last years had at least a 50 - 60 % drop off after the first month. SW:TOR is no different.

So it is safe to say that from those 1,7 mil players about 700.000 to 800.000 actually subscribed to the game and are currently still playing.

And to be honest, no matter what those idiot shareholders are yelling and drooling for. At this day and time, with the whole saturation in the MMO market, Economy, etc.... 700k to 800k paying subscribers is not bad.

And as EA/Bioware said themselves that they needed 500k subs to break even and still make a profit on the longterm. They are then still 200k - 300k above it.  Not bad at all.

The real challenge for them right now, is to retain those 700-800k players and even try to get in new players with conteous marketing campains.

• papaz1papaz1 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

But I thought this game peaked on Xfire?

because everyone uses Xfire right?

also, in before "how much did EA pay you to post this?" comments

It did peak on Xfire.

And it is the biggest MMO after WoW on Xfire.

How is that not an accurate picture of how the game is doing? 

I don't think there was anyone using the Xfire numbers saying "SWTOR has exactly 1 540 321 number of subs".

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    OVER REACTION!!!!!!! All that matters is did you have fun playing? Is it worth your subscription? My answers are yes and no respectively. These numbers and the jargon are just there to pursuade you. If you tried the game like I did then you have an opinion, if you didnt, then go check it out.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This quote made me laugh:  "End game content SW:TOR 5 : WoW 1"

What game are you playing?  There is very little end game content compared to Wow, not that Wow is that great a measuring stick.

While the numbers look great initially they will be consolidating servers before end of summer.  Just not enough content to keep people playing.

• DeeMarieDeeMarie Member Posts: 21

SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already." Eric Brown

This was on the 2nd of January, while the free month was still running. Everyone had to be a 'paying customer' at that point in order to redeem the free month. I think SWToR will have a huge sub number by the end of the quarter, just how he phrased subscriptions seemed a bit odd.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

So, for those of you who believe these numbers were from Dec 31st, do you actually believe that 400k people (more than the population of Eve) bought TOR and didn't register it?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

So, for those of you who believe these numbers were from Dec 31st, do you actually believe that 400k people (more than the population of Eve) bought TOR and didn't register it?

Worldwide and just before christmas. Yes.

Lot of people have gotten the game as christmas present.

It's quite often that people return games they got as present and exchange it for something else.

Hell, even worse, some just toss it aside and don't even bother with it.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

/shrug

• DinesenDKDinesenDK Member Posts: 3

First the good things...:

Looking forward to this: "PvP upgrades".

Not so good things...:

If they expected WoW numbers, EA should had let BW finish the game before launch. No matter how I look at it, it feels rushed, despite what Devs has told us over the last 2-3 years.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Yahuuuuu! SWTOR forever, our servers are crowded with players. We stay to the end with you old republic. Best gaming time of my life :)

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by snapfusion

This

Are you both escaped mental patients?  Investors expected to pick up HALF of wows subsciption numbers (a 7 year old game) after its first month.  My god the things people will do to try to make a point.

Can you provide the link that shows someone from EA or Bioware stating this?

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

EA has gotta be mad they couldn't take wow down hahahahaha.

don't say they weren't trying to because all these companies do is think they gotta beat wow.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month

SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already

Sold 2 mil, 1.7 mil active and "most of that 1.7 mil are paying a sub.  If you take just over half the 1.7mil and get yourself say 860,000 you can count as "most" for all we know as they never mention exactly how many are actually paying... just "most".

Highlighted those two words for you. What are these people doing? Actively subscribing? And usually, when you subscribe to something, what does it mean?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Slampig

SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already

Sold 2 mil, 1.7 mil active and "most of that 1.7 mil are paying a sub.  If you take just over half the 1.7mil and get yourself say 860,000 you can count as "most" for all we know as they never mention exactly how many are actually paying... just "most".

Highlighted those two words for you. What are these people doing? Actively subscribing? And usually, when you subscribe to something, what does it mean?

Most companies, EA included, use an 'active sometime in the past 30 days' metric to count "active" subscribers. They also include those in their first moth trial.

Considering the game came out late December, that "active" count very likely includes every single account that was activated since release, even those that have since finished their first free month and lapsed as they still technically fall into that 'active sometime in the past 30 days' window.

Also when a developer/publisher says 'we sold 2 million', it includes game boxes that have been shipped to retailers, not just copies that have actually been purchased by consumers, so the number is a bit inflated. 1.7 million sounds like the more accurate number of how many copies have actually been sold and activated since release due to that 30 day metric.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Now 1.7 million at 50-60+ $ or € is still an impressive mark for an MMO.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Slampig

It means they are all over the forums -.-, no wonder couldn't get a group for search and rescue >.<

Can you guys still playing go back to the game, thanks!

RIP Orc Choppa

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

This

And they expected this in the first month did they? WoW had to work for those sub numbers, it was also helped by pop culture like South Park and Leeroy Jenkins, and that didn't come in the first month. People seem to expect people to flock instantly to this game like its the life they've always wanted or something. Simply being a great game (if you consider it a great game) is not going to be enough at this point. It has nowehere near as much content, polish or accessability as WoW does yet.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Ceridith

Most companies, EA included, use an 'active sometime in the past 30 days' metric to count "active" subscribers. They also include those in their first moth trial.

Considering the game came out late December, that "active" count very likely includes every single account that was activated since release, even those that have since finished their first free month and lapsed as they still technically fall into that 'active sometime in the past 30 days' window.

Also when a developer/publisher says 'we sold 2 million', it includes game boxes that have been shipped to retailers, not just copies that have actually been purchased by consumers, so the number is a bit inflated. 1.7 million sounds like the more accurate number of how many copies have actually been sold and activated since release due to that 30 day metric.

Untrue. They specifically talk about 'sell through', from this and other statements it's obvious that they're talking about actual sales to customers and not shipped to stores.

They're also specifically excluding players that have played and since stopped or 'opted out' in that 1.7 million number.

From all the info available and specific statements made, it's clear that they talked about over 2 million sold to customers and 1.7 million subscriber being current monthly subbers and those that are still in their free month. This could be 2.05 million but also 2.3-2.4 million. Numbers that aren't really that odd for a Star Wars IP and BW MMO.