Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face it: Its not SWTOR.....it's you.

SWTOR is what it is. I repeat:

SWTOR is what it is. You should read it again.

SWTOR in its current form bothers you because...you expect something out of a game that can't give you what you need. What you need is to be content and excited about an MMO again, like you were with your first one before you got bored of it. My friends, that feeling will never come back.

It is human nature, to get bored and to move on to other things. The thing itself that you once loved and now you don't, is not to blame here. You simply have gotten burned out from MMOs all together, chasing a feeling and a thrill that will never be back, because you have leveled a toon before, and the core elements of an MMO, in order to be an MMO, never change. It is like kissing your first girl, making your first high volume sale, buying your first car, surviving your first public speech. After a while, things just get old.

You make a toon, cast spells and swing a weapon at a mob, quest etc...which MMO doesn't have this? Maybe this is what you are bored with? And when an MMO is made which doesn't have all that, will it be an MMO?

So, could it be that really this isn't about SWTOR, but actually you trying to make SWTOR what it can never be for you?

Truth hurts. Remember:

"Situations, don't make the man. They reveal him, to himself"
-Socrates

Now flame away :-)

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

All I gotta say is your avatar scares the crap outta me.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

I'm with the OP.  It is probably time to play a good RTS, good action game, maybe some Skyrim or a nice simulator.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Complete bullshit.

SWG, Darkfall, HnH and most recently Wakfu all gave me that excitement. Why? Because it offers new and interesting stuff.

Unlike.. you know what game.

Edit: Will also add that I played all those games for over 2 years, SWG even longer. (Wakfu isnt out yet but probably will too)

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

[mod edit]

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Kkkkkkkkk gotta laugh at some of these arguments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

It's always the player.  You just can't please everyone and the few with issues have the loudest voices that the sheep follow (to other games).

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

All I gotta say is your avatar scares the crap outta me.

I have been asking "Who's Bed" on this site since 2006 :-)
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by troublmaker

I'm with the OP.  It is probably time to play a good RTS, good action game, maybe some Skyrim or a nice simulator.

Google Anno 2070.

Trust me, you'll thank me later.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by I_Return

I agree with the op, I want a deep thought out  game with care taking in each aspect of it;s design. I want pvp to have meaningful rewards (land ownership / seiging), I want to be awe struck with a horizon that can be reached and quests that last months. You are right Op, it is me.

That's my point. If that's what you want, then SWTOR isn't for you. Does that make SWTOR a piece of crap? Does that make you a troll? No and no. It just means its not for you, and that's ok.

It just drives me crazy that people will flame a game for not being their dream come true....the game is what it is.
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

[mod edit]

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• StoneRoses2StoneRoses2 Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Tenebroso

SWTOR is what it is. I repeat: SWTOR is what it is. You should read it again. SWTOR in its current form bothers you because...you expect something out of a game that can't give you what you need. What you need is to be content and excited about an MMO again, like you were with your first one before you got bored of it. My friends, that feeling will never come back. It is human nature, to get bored and to move on to other things. The thing itself that you once loved and now you don't, is not to blame here. You simply have gotten burned out from MMOs all together, chasing a feeling and a thrill that will never be back, because you have leveled a toon before, and the core elements of an MMO, in order to be an MMO, never change. It is like kissing your first girl, making your first high volume sale, buying your first car, surviving your first public speech. After a while, things just get old. You make a toon, cast spells and swing a weapon at a mob, quest etc...which MMO doesn't have this? Maybe this is what you are bored with? And when an MMO is made which doesn't have all that, will it be an MMO? So, could it be that really this isn't about SWTOR, but actually you trying to make SWTOR what it can never be for you? Truth hurts. Remember: "Situations, don't make the man. They reveal him, to himself" -Socrates Now flame away :-)

Bravo!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I agree with the op, I want a deep thought out  game with care taking in each aspect of it;s design. I want pvp to have meaningful rewards (land ownership / seiging), I want to be awe struck with a horizon that can be reached and quests that last months. You are right Op, it is me.

That's my point. If that's what you want, then SWTOR isn't for you. Does that make SWTOR a piece of crap? Does that make you a troll? No and no. It just means its not for you, and that's ok. It just drives me crazy that people will flame a game for not being their dream come true....the game is what it is.

Agreed.  Not sure why people get disapointed when something isn't what it ever intended to be.  They never planned on making a sandbox, other game companies are. 

Why buy an apple and then get sad when it doesn't taste like a grape?

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Laughing-man

That's my point. If that's what you want, then SWTOR isn't for you. Does that make SWTOR a piece of crap? Does that make you a troll? No and no. It just means its not for you, and that's ok. It just drives me crazy that people will flame a game for not being their dream come true....the game is what it is.

Agreed.  Not sure why people get disapointed when something isn't what it ever intended to be.  They never planned on making a sandbox, other game companies are. 

Why buy an apple and then get sad when it doesn't taste like a grape?

Hold up a second here;

-Every single gameplay video(and no, not cgi movies) that was released by *BioWare* are shown in a resolution and graphical setting that isnt even available ingame. Think about that for a second. They have even admitted to this.

-Thousands of items, suits, mods, full questing and heroic areas, weapons, schematics, titles... everything removed before the game went live. Most of this stuff, as said above, was advertised as part of the game before the game was even released.

-These are only 2 examples, i would be more than happy to list more. Please, ask me to.

To you it may be one thing, but to me, when i buy an apple because the guy said it was an apple, i expect him to hand me an apple. I also dont expect one of his employess hanging out on the sidewalk outside of the store berating me because I complained about shitty service and false advertisement.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

SWTOR is what it is. I repeat: SWTOR is what it is. You should read it again. SWTOR in its current form bothers you because...you expect something out of a game that can't give you what you need. What you need is to be content and excited about an MMO again, like you were with your first one before you got bored of it. My friends, that feeling will never come back. It is human nature, to get bored and to move on to other things. The thing itself that you once loved and now you don't, is not to blame here. You simply have gotten burned out from MMOs all together, chasing a feeling and a thrill that will never be back, because you have leveled a toon before, and the core elements of an MMO, in order to be an MMO, never change. It is like kissing your first girl, making your first high volume sale, buying your first car, surviving your first public speech. After a while, things just get old. You make a toon, cast spells and swing a weapon at a mob, quest etc...which MMO doesn't have this? Maybe this is what you are bored with? And when an MMO is made which doesn't have all that, will it be an MMO? So, could it be that really this isn't about SWTOR, but actually you trying to make SWTOR what it can never be for you? Truth hurts. Remember: "Situations, don't make the man. They reveal him, to himself" -Socrates Now flame away :-)

I just wanted a dungeon finder with decent wait times.  I will sub when that happens

I had more fun leveling in SWTOR than anything I ever did in WOW or LOTRO, which are th only other two MMOs I've stayed to level cap with.  It was immersive and fun.  I now want quick grouping that doesn't involve sitting in the fleet or joining a guild.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Oh yes, now that you say it!

Why am I not satisfied with McDonalds? Eat shit! If you have a problem with that, its YOUR fault! Why was I so demanding?? OMG!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

What a complete load of rubbish.

What, is SWTOR breaking up with me in a really thoughtless way? "I'm sorry baby, it's you not me."

No, it IS Star wars the old republic. It's end game blows, it's about as optimized as EQ2 was when it came out. It has a terrible loot distribution system for pvp gear. Tell me I have to grind for a week for an item and I will say "right lets have at it then!" but tell me a guy who hit level 50 three days ago has 5 pieces of pvp gear because he got lucky with his weekly quests compared to my rubbish luck - is fair, and I will laugh long and hard in your face.

Star Wars was fantastic when I was headed to 50 first time round, really enjoyed my self. Then I saw Ilum and how broken it was. Then I grinded through warzones to get really shitty luck on bag drops. I then ventured into the FFA area and saw it dead and empty. Then one day in Ilum more than 10 people came on the screen at the same time and my PC went "F**k that!"

Is it me not liking those things? Of course it is, but 100% of the time if you don't like something it is your fault! 

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

My friend there are games that u play for years and u dont get bored and there are games that u play a month and thats it.

Take for example dota.7 years now and my friends still play it.

Diablo they still play it.

Starcraft 1 and 2 they still play it.

Wow they still f play it.

What seperates a GAME from a game is it's replayability and it's awesome gameplay feel.

Swtor offers only cutscenes which in my opinion is not in my game list but in my movies list.

For people who enjoy bad graphics crap gameplay bad music scores lifeless worlds and singleplayer games with monthly fees with ridiculous  gamebreaker bugs then this is a game for u.

That was the last money ea and bioware took from me.Simply because they ruined an ip along with the stupid lucas

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Zefire

My friend there are games that u play for years and u dont get bored and there are games that u play a month and thats it.

What seperates a GAME from a game is it's replayability and it's awesome gameplay feel.

Swtor offers only cutscenes which in my opinion is not in my game list but in my movies list.

For people who enjoy bad graphics crap gameplay bad music scores lifeless worlds and singleplayer games with monthly fees with ridiculous  gamebreaker bugs then this is a game for u.

That was the last money ea and bioware took from me.Simply because they ruined an ip along with the stupid lucas

This is only partially true. Because it represents only SOME gamers. There are enough gamers who played Diablo and SC1/2, etc, liked it and after 1-2 months when they were done with it, stopped playing them and moved on. Also, there are gamers who don't see TOR like you do at all, and don't see it as a waste of the IP or bad gameplay or 'ridiculous gamebreaker bugs' compared to other MMO's, but find it an entertaining, fun MMO. If that's not how you feel about it, sure, that sucks for you. But it'd be a mistake to think that it applies to all gamers.

Originally posted by smh_alot

This is only partially true. Because it represents only SOME gamers. There are enough gamers who played Diablo and SC1/2, etc, liked it and after 1-2 months when they were done with it, stopped playing them and moved on. Also, there are gamers who don't see TOR like you do at all, and don't see it as a waste of the IP or bad gameplay or 'ridiculous gamebreaker bugs' compared to other MMO's, but find it an entertaining, fun MMO. If that's not how you feel about it, sure, that sucks for you. But it'd be a mistake to think that it applies to all gamers.

I call them masochists

I call them masochists

And there's probably also people who regard gamers playing Diablo, SC, DOTA or WoW for years as masochists -_-

Seriously though, simply accept the fact that you got disappointed that TOR wasn't what you'd dreamed of it to be, but that for other people it did fit what they were looking for in an MMORPG, and that their entertainment value of TOR was very satisfactory. You might not like to play golf or watch the Olympics or listen to jazz fusion, but to other people that might be heaven. Different people, different tastes.

I call them masochists

And there's probably also people who regard gamers playing Diablo, SC, DOTA or WoW for years as masochists -_-

Seriously though, simply accept the fact that you got disappointed that TOR wasn't what you'd dreamed of it to be, but that for other people it did fit what they were looking for in an MMORPG, and that their entertainment value of TOR was very satisfactory. You might not like to play golf or watch the Olympics or listen to jazz fusion, but to other people that might be heaven. Different people, different tastes.

There is good jazz music and bad jazz music

People who like certain things know how to seperate good quality versus crap quality.

Would u play golf with a crap button and a crap ball on a crap stage/place?If you were a golf fanatic u wouldnt because u know how good golf play feels.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

What the OP is saying is that it isn't HIM, it's you.  This is just psychology.  It's completely irrelevant whether the game is bad on an absolute level or if it's all relative to the player.  Complaining about it not 'fitting' with expectations is valid in either case.

But if someone likes the game, or is trying to like the game, or trying to convince themselves the game is good when it's not, they might see complaints and have to look for some reason why everyone they disagree with is wrong without having to argue any points with them. 

In truth, they are bothered not just by the complaining, but by the very idea that people don't like what they like, and that maybe they like a bad game, or worse yet, they don't even like it and are afraid to face it.  If they didn't fear the idea that the game is the problem, then why post, why not just go and play the game and have fun and avoid forum opinions?

There is good jazz music and bad jazz music

People who like certain things know how to seperate good quality versus crap quality.

Would u play golf with a crap button and a crap ball on a crap stage/place?If you were a golf fanatic u wouldnt because u know how good golf play feels.

I have observed debates where classical music fans debated for a whole evening which world famous composer was good and which was bad, heavily disagreeing with eachother, in much the same way as I see some people here debate heavily whether WoW is bad or not. I understand what you're trying to say with your analogy, but it's not a viewpoint that I share. It should be evident from sites like this one that there are enough MMO gaming fanatics and veterans who heavily disagree on what's bad and what's good MMO's and MMO fun.

Originally posted by adam_nox

What the OP is saying is that it isn't HIM, it's you. This is just psychology. It's completely irrelevant whether the game is bad on an absolute level or if it's all relative to the player. Complaining about it not 'fitting' with expectations is valid in either case.
    But if someone likes the game, or is trying to like the game, or trying to convince themselves the game is good when it's not, they might see complaints and have to look for some reason why everyone they disagree with is wrong without having to argue any points with them.
    In truth, they are bothered not just by the complaining, but by the very idea that people don't like what they like, and that maybe they like a bad game, or worse yet, they don't even like it and are afraid to face it. If they didn't fear the idea that the game is the problem, then why post, why not just go and play the game and have fun and avoid forum opinions?

You're only describing yin without the yang here: vice versa it works exactly the same.
    Or to paraphrase your comments: 'if someone dislikes a game or trying to convince themselves the game is really bad when it's only them not enjoying it, they might see praise or positive news and have to look for some reason why everyone they disagree with is wrong. In truth, they are bothered not just by the positive comments and praises, but by the very idea that people like what they don't like, and that maybe they dislike a fun, enjoyable game.' etc etc

Mind you, I'm not saying that everyone thinks like that, but only that some people might think like that, fans as well as critics, both sides of the exact same coin.
  • SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135

Got a good laugh here.

Yes, nostalgia is a real thing.  Nothing will ever be as great as the first game that hooked you, but's it's not like I can't enjoy Skyrim because it wasn't Final Fantasy, or Oblivion, or whatever.

Also the arguments you make about what makes an MMO make you look like you have been playing them for a few years tops starting with WoW and ending with clones of WoW.  You should apply for a job on one of these cookie-cutter craptastic MMOs, they all have the same mindset.  MMOs are the most versatile platform a developer could wish for, people (understandably) rage when a genre with so much potential and a studio with so much time/money put out a complete turd like TOR.

Of course the mechanics are old and dated.  Developers need to learn to stop cloning the same exact systems from game to game, no amount of story will make up for stale mechanics.  Even older console RPGs (like FF) changed battle systems every iteration to stay fresh; it never seemed to hurt their sales.

Stop apologizing for professional developers.  Telling them it's ok to sell mediocrity is part of the problem.  They don't need you to apologize for them, they need you to honestly criticize the things you dislike so they (and future developers) can honestly try to improve the genre.

Yes, I'm nostalgic about older games.  But I also recognize quality, imagination, and innovation in design and implementation and TOR has none of the above.

This discussion has been closed.