Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Investors' Conference Call Reveals Data

2456

Comments

  • NMStudioNMStudio Anytown, KYPosts: 376Member

    Originally posted by Volgore

    SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. 

    Of course they are ACTIVE subscribers. You have to set up a subscription plan to enable your free 30 days in first place. Hence "active" means little in this context.

    "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already."

    The majority  of 1.7mio can as well be like 850k, which is still impressive, but ranks around the number AOC had in it's first month. Still there could be 850k who had canceled, but their subs remain active a few more days.

    I may be very well wrong about all this, but Mr. Eric Brown can as well be way off from the facts with his PR.

    What you are accusing him of is not just "PR", it would be a felony for misleading investors.  I'm guessing you're wrong on this one.

    image

  • VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,210Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by NMStudio

    Originally posted by Volgore

    SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. 

    Of course they are ACTIVE subscribers. You have to set up a subscription plan to enable your free 30 days in first place. Hence "active" means little in this context.

    "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already."

    The majority  of 1.7mio can as well be like 850k, which is still impressive, but ranks around the number AOC had in it's first month. Still there could be 850k who had canceled, but their subs remain active a few more days.

    I may be very well wrong about all this, but Mr. Eric Brown can as well be way off from the facts with his PR.

    What you are accusing him of is not just "PR", it would be a felony for misleading investors.  I'm guessing you're wrong on this one.

    The majority could theoretically be 850.002, which would leave 849998 canceled accounts. These numbers are probably far off, but my point was that talking about "active subs" and "majorities" in this regard says little about the state of subs. All we have is a number and and range of about +- 850k to make something out of it. I'm not saying he's is lying,he is just being very vague and may have a purpose.

    We don't know what number is behind the majority of 1.7mio and in how many canceled accounts this results. To soon to cry doom, to soon to celebrate.

    image
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Volgore

    We don't know what number is behind the majority of 1.7mio and in how many canceled accounts this results. To soon to cry doom, to soon to celebrate.

    agree - not sure why they mentioned subs at all

    game is only 5 weeks old, EA should only be talking about sales

  • NMStudioNMStudio Anytown, KYPosts: 376Member

    Originally posted by Volgore

    Originally posted by NMStudio


    Originally posted by Volgore

    SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. 

    Of course they are ACTIVE subscribers. You have to set up a subscription plan to enable your free 30 days in first place. Hence "active" means little in this context.

    "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already."

    The majority  of 1.7mio can as well be like 850k, which is still impressive, but ranks around the number AOC had in it's first month. Still there could be 850k who had canceled, but their subs remain active a few more days.

    I may be very well wrong about all this, but Mr. Eric Brown can as well be way off from the facts with his PR.

    What you are accusing him of is not just "PR", it would be a felony for misleading investors.  I'm guessing you're wrong on this one.

    The majority could theoretically be 850.002, which would leave 849998 canceled accounts. These numbers are probably far off, but my point was that talking about "active subs" and "majorities" in this regard says little about the state of subs. All we have is a number and and range of about +- 850k to make something out of it. I'm not saying he's is lying,he is just being very vague and may have a purpose.

    We don't know what number is behind the majority of 1.7mio and in how many canceled accounts this results. To soon to cry doom, to soon to celebrate.

    Saying MOST of the 1.7 million are subbed is very different than saying "Barely more than half".  being vague with a purpose, and that purpose being to mislead investors, is still a felony.

    image

  • VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,210Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by NMStudio

    Originally posted by Volgore


    Originally posted by NMStudio


    Originally posted by Volgore

    SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. 

    Of course they are ACTIVE subscribers. You have to set up a subscription plan to enable your free 30 days in first place. Hence "active" means little in this context.

    "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already."

    The majority  of 1.7mio can as well be like 850k, which is still impressive, but ranks around the number AOC had in it's first month. Still there could be 850k who had canceled, but their subs remain active a few more days.

    I may be very well wrong about all this, but Mr. Eric Brown can as well be way off from the facts with his PR.

    What you are accusing him of is not just "PR", it would be a felony for misleading investors.  I'm guessing you're wrong on this one.

    The majority could theoretically be 850.002, which would leave 849998 canceled accounts. These numbers are probably far off, but my point was that talking about "active subs" and "majorities" in this regard says little about the state of subs. All we have is a number and and range of about +- 850k to make something out of it. I'm not saying he's is lying,he is just being very vague and may have a purpose.

    We don't know what number is behind the majority of 1.7mio and in how many canceled accounts this results. To soon to cry doom, to soon to celebrate.

    Saying MOST of the 1.7 million are subbed is very different than saying "Barely more than half".  being vague with a purpose, and that purpose being to mislead investors, is still a felony.

    That's just my point. It's PR..so he wouldn't say "barely more than half".

    He didn't say "most" either.

    image
  • k-damagek-damage ParisPosts: 738Member

    This is a serious uppercut to all the "it will go F2P next month" guys.

    And they can stay down.

    ***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

  • Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member

     


    Originally posted by Beiloch

    I already unsubscribed since finding groups at 50 is a ridiculous chore. No wonder they are working on PvP thats what people end up doing if they stick around since its INSANELY easier to get something actually going in PvP compred to PvE. Can queue up for warzones solo and wait around the PvP vendors. Meanwhile there isn't a SINGLE global chat to help with PvE grouping. Their LFG system is about 10+ years old.

    Huh. That's a good point. TOR would mass a lot more numbers if they had updated systems.

    List of outdated;



    • Graphics Engine


    • LFG system


    • Guild system


    • Character Customization system


    • Moddable armor system (On paper sounds good, but poorly executed in-game. Wardrobe would have worked better : )


    Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

  • AcmegamerAcmegamer Selah, WAPosts: 337Member

    Originally posted by I_Return

    (RTTNews.com) - Video-game publisher Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) said Wednesday after the markets closed that its third quarter loss narrowed from last year, as revenue grew and expenses fell. The company's quarterly earnings per share, excluding items, also came in above analysts' expectations as did its quarterly revenue. However, the company forecast fourth quarter revenue and earnings below analysts' current consensus estimates.

    The Redwood City, California-based company reported a GAAP net loss for the third quarter of $205 million or $0.62 per share, compared to a GAAP net loss of $322 million or $0.97 per share for the year-ago quarter.

    Excluding the impact of the change in deferred revenue and other items, non-GAAP net income for the third quarter was $334 million or $0.99 per share, compared to $196 million or $0.59 per share in the prior year quarter.

    Panic Mode.

    Exactly and thanks for pointing out that they are at a net loss of 205 million. That is a huge number  and one that should worry them. How many months will they have to operate with no loss of the current subscriber base to even break even. That number doesn't even account for normal monthly operations costs. Panic mode indeed.

     

  • JyiigaJyiiga Seneca, SCPosts: 1,042Member Uncommon

    If they keep the content rolling in and they keep the advertising up it will maintain if not grow subscribers. They are on the right track.

  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Albuqurque, NMPosts: 146Member Uncommon

    I won't trust these numbers until they can be confirmed by a thrid party. When a company releases information like this about themselves in such a public manner, you can garuntee it's a PR move.

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

    People seem to keep skipping this point :

    "Metrics on engagement: 1 million users log in per day staying in game for 4 hours per day"

    Its fair to assume that a lot of casual players wouldnt log in every single day.

    We get it, the worn-out MMO die hards left because theres nothing new or innovative, but considering the populations of the games that those people play, it probably wasnt even a dent to SWTOR's casual playerbase.

  • SkillCosbySkillCosby Trenton, MIPosts: 684Member

    I seriously doubt this is true. lol.

    This is like Chris Brown crying during Man in the Mirror. Best PR stunt in music history.

  • Entropy14Entropy14 Edmonton, ABPosts: 671Member Uncommon

    Well considering every day 1 million people log on i would say thats pretty impressive.

     

    Ya I think this game will  go F2P in 3 months , lawls

  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Matthews, NCPosts: 464Member

    Originally posted by Fly666monkey

    I won't trust these numbers until they can be confirmed by a thrid party. 

     

    Don't worry. There are plenty of armchair analysts currently logging in to confirm that SW:TOR only has 7 subscribers.  They should be posting any moment.

     

     

  • LittlebombLittlebomb issaquah, WAPosts: 152Member

    Originally posted by SBFord

    Several key facts about Star Wars: The Old Republic have emerged according to the latest information released to investors and stockholders by Electronic Arts in preparation for the Q3 2012 investor's conference call.



    • Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month


    • SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already." Eric Brown


    • Metrics on engagement: 1 million users log in per day staying in game for 4 hours per day


    • Server performance and stability exceeded expectation with 99.5% up time outside schedule maintenance.


    • Grow subscribers with frequent content updates


    • Another major update larger than the first coming in March


    • Q3 2012 fiscal revenues are higher than Q3 2011 driven by the successful launch of SWTOR


    • Net revenue for PC titles, including SWTOR, is up significantly over Q3 2011


    • "Fastest growing subscription MMO in history," John Riccitiello


    • EA shipped SWTOR units in December that were slated to ship in January, well ahead of schedule, and led to an increase in revenue in Q3 2012


    • SWTOR drove most of the digital increase by Origin


    • 40% of the sales of SWTOR came through Origin, numbers that were not shown in overall numbers of sales until now


    • Increased marketing funds will be spent on SWTOR to take advantage of the momentum of the game's success to date. Ready to launch a major mass market television campaign and cross promotion with "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D" which comes out in February.


    • "SWTOR will be an important factor in next year's results (fiscal 2013)." Eric Brown.


    • PvP upgrades and expansion packs in the works


    • Looking at the Asian market, Australian/New Zealand market sales expansion with more information to be released in the coming weeks and months.


    You can check out these documents here and here.


     


    Quarter ended 12/31/11..........................before the first free month even ended.

     

    I just have to say by looking at your avatar that you must be a very nice sheltered woman. Posting this sort of misinformation though while all I have to do is log on and see a empty server is a little disheartening though. You remind me of Willma from scooby doo. The sort of person who does what they're told no matter what. 

     

    I'll give you a pro tip though........corps will say anything, including using numbers that don't show anything after the initial free 2 play sub numbers. You and I both know that 90% of the players did not renew their sub's like your article would suggest.

     

    I'm sure you intentions are good but don't you think that posting this sort of Investor fluff is a little disengenuous? I mean we all know the subscribers dropped by half after the 20th. I know out of the 10 core members of my guild none of them are still playing, in fact most of them are playing League of Legends right now.

     

    The game has already started it's slow sad decent just like WAR did.

     

    I find the fact that you would pass this stuff off as "fact" simply insulting. After reading your articles I have to say you're bias is obvious at this point.

  • snapfusionsnapfusion San, CAPosts: 954Member

    Originally posted by Deathenger



    Originally posted by I_Return

    a fact is an exact number. This is not factual data, it is investor fluff to pull the declining stock  up before things get worse. Thanks fo rthe read though, it is defininetly panic mode at EA and Bioware when they need to talk numbers this early in the game.

     

    Investor expected  5 million + sub sales.... they expected WoW like numbers, anything less was a failure to "an investor"






     

    This

    Are you both escaped mental patients?  Investors expected to pick up HALF of wows subsciption numbers (a 7 year old game) after its first month.  My god the things people will do to try to make a point.

  • LittlebombLittlebomb issaquah, WAPosts: 152Member

    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

    Hmm

    http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

    Yeah, anyone who actually log's in can see these results clear as day. I guess the OP though has particularly thick rose colored glasses.

  • kakasakikakasaki Lockhart, TXPosts: 1,205Member

    Originally posted by Littlebomb

    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

    Hmm

    http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

    Yeah, anyone who actually log's in can see these results clear as day. I guess the OP though has particularly thick rose colored glasses.

    So you have logged in to all the servers? Every time of day? Also, pulling numbers out of your rear end like you did in your previous post (90% didn't renew?) really doesn't help your crusade...

    A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    I see a lot of you crying "Fuzzy Math!"

    Lets see, no other MMO has EVER released "exact" numbers in the history of MMOs.  Perhaps you guys are just LOOKING for something to cry about?

    Yep, seems like it.

     

    Anywho, thanks Bioware, you have a happy subscriber here, just wish you'd have less server down time.

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

    Hmm

    http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

    Who?

    Oh sorry I thought you were trying to post facts, not some random web site that no one has heard of...

    Where do they get their data from?   How do they collect it?

    Gee I bet its unreliable... Oh look    "Samples are read from server-status page and graphs get updated every 5 minutes."

    Considering  "Light"  "Heavy"  and all those analogue labels don't have any digital information attached to them, so thereby all this information is entirely made up.

    Good to know!

  • VarkingVarking Winston-Salem, NCPosts: 433Member

    Originally posted by Littlebomb

    Originally posted by SBFord

    Several key facts about Star Wars: The Old Republic have emerged according to the latest information released to investors and stockholders by Electronic Arts in preparation for the Q3 2012 investor's conference call.



    • Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month


    • SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already." Eric Brown


    • Metrics on engagement: 1 million users log in per day staying in game for 4 hours per day


    • Server performance and stability exceeded expectation with 99.5% up time outside schedule maintenance.


    • Grow subscribers with frequent content updates


    • Another major update larger than the first coming in March


    • Q3 2012 fiscal revenues are higher than Q3 2011 driven by the successful launch of SWTOR


    • Net revenue for PC titles, including SWTOR, is up significantly over Q3 2011


    • "Fastest growing subscription MMO in history," John Riccitiello


    • EA shipped SWTOR units in December that were slated to ship in January, well ahead of schedule, and led to an increase in revenue in Q3 2012


    • SWTOR drove most of the digital increase by Origin


    • 40% of the sales of SWTOR came through Origin, numbers that were not shown in overall numbers of sales until now


    • Increased marketing funds will be spent on SWTOR to take advantage of the momentum of the game's success to date. Ready to launch a major mass market television campaign and cross promotion with "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D" which comes out in February.


    • "SWTOR will be an important factor in next year's results (fiscal 2013)." Eric Brown.


    • PvP upgrades and expansion packs in the works


    • Looking at the Asian market, Australian/New Zealand market sales expansion with more information to be released in the coming weeks and months.


    You can check out these documents here and here.


     


    Quarter ended 12/31/11..........................before the first free month even ended.

     

    I just have to say by looking at your avatar that you must be a very nice sheltered woman. Posting this sort of misinformation though while all I have to do is log on and see a empty server is a little disheartening though. You remind me of Willma from scooby doo. The sort of person who does what they're told no matter what. 

     

    I'll give you a pro tip though........corps will say anything, including using numbers that don't show anything after the initial free 2 play sub numbers. You and I both know that 90% of the players did not renew their sub's like your article would suggest.

     

    I'm sure you intentions are good but don't you think that posting this sort of Investor fluff is a little disengenuous? I mean we all know the subscribers dropped by half after the 20th. I know out of the 10 core members of my guild none of them are still playing, in fact most of them are playing League of Legends right now.

     

    The game has already started it's slow sad decent just like WAR did.

     

    I find the fact that you would pass this stuff off as "fact" simply insulting. After reading your articles I have to say you're bias is obvious at this point.

    Did you really just type that we all know subs dropped by over half, by the 20th? Where did you pull this information from? You can't get on people posting crap numbers when you do it even worse.

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    Actually investor's expected between 500,000-700,000 to be satisfied with the performance and consider it a success; BioWare expected 1 million. "Most" of 1.7 Million is still well over 1 million to be considered most, To be under 1.7 million would not be considered "most".

  • AeolronAeolron Ottawa, ONPosts: 648Member
    Funny everytime I log on I notice alot of servers standard to full some even with a que , who gives a crap about numbers, play the game enjoy it, if not move on and play world of pandacraft.

    Oh and EA games being the largest video game company in the world I think they know what they ate doing unlike some of you!
  • LittlebombLittlebomb issaquah, WAPosts: 152Member

    So 1.7 million subs and there threads asking for server mergers on the BIO website? UM, yeah right.

Sign In or Register to comment.