Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Investors' Conference Call Reveals Data

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Several key facts about Star Wars: The Old Republic have emerged according to the latest information released to investors and stockholders by Electronic Arts in preparation for the Q3 2012 investor's conference call.

• Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month

• SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already." Eric Brown

• Metrics on engagement: 1 million users log in per day staying in game for 4 hours per day

• Server performance and stability exceeded expectation with 99.5% up time outside schedule maintenance.

• Grow subscribers with frequent content updates

• Another major update larger than the first coming in March

• Q3 2012 fiscal revenues are higher than Q3 2011 driven by the successful launch of SWTOR

• Net revenue for PC titles, including SWTOR, is up significantly over Q3 2011

• "Fastest growing subscription MMO in history," John Riccitiello

• EA shipped SWTOR units in December that were slated to ship in January, well ahead of schedule, and led to an increase in revenue in Q3 2012

• SWTOR drove most of the digital increase by Origin

• 40% of the sales of SWTOR came through Origin, numbers that were not shown in overall numbers of sales until now

• Increased marketing funds will be spent on SWTOR to take advantage of the momentum of the game's success to date. Ready to launch a major mass market television campaign and cross promotion with "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D" which comes out in February.

• "SWTOR will be an important factor in next year's results (fiscal 2013)." Eric Brown.

• PvP upgrades and expansion packs in the works

• Looking at the Asian market, Australian/New Zealand market sales expansion with more information to be released in the coming weeks and months.

You can check out these documents here and here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Yay! Well here's one player that will stay with swtor till they sunset! Way to go Bioware!!!
  • 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    But I thought this game peaked on Xfire?

because everyone uses Xfire right?

also, in before "how much did EA pay you to post this?" comments
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I bet it goes free to play by the end of next month.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month

SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already

Sold 2 mil, 1.7 mil active and "most of that 1.7 mil are paying a sub.  If you take just over half the 1.7mil and get yourself say 860,000 you can count as "most" for all we know as they never mention exactly how many are actually paying... just "most".

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Q3 FY12 ended in December. So, while the overall sales make sense, the active subs may no longer be true and most likely are not.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Does it matter ? If having lots of suscribers is the metric of greatness, then WoW is still King of the MMOrpg and all Tor can hope for is second fiddle.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Haters gunna hate, but numbers are numbers, Bioware dun good. 

Congrats Old Republic team!! :)

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Puffery is puffy.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Originally posted by I_Return

a fact is an exact number. This is not factual data, it is investor fluff to pull the declining stock  up before things get worse. Thanks fo rthe read though, it is defininetly panic mode at EA and Bioware when they need to talk numbers this early in the game.

Investor expected  5 million + sub sales.... they expected WoW like numbers, anything less was a failure to "an investor"

This

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Valua

Haters gunna hate, but numbers are numbers, Bioware dun good. 

Congrats Old Republic team!! :)

It's not hate. It's outdated information. Outdated numbers are outdated. EA dun pandered.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

What I would like to see is the numbers with the january drop.

I have a hard time trusting there are 1.7ish millions players. We went from full servers with long queues to almost all normal and around 5 heavy at peak time.

What I'm afraid of is the managers use these fake info not to fix the game and make it bleed even more.

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

I already unsubscribed since finding groups at 50 is a ridiculous chore. No wonder they are working on PvP thats what people end up doing if they stick around since its INSANELY easier to get something actually going in PvP compred to PvE. Can queue up for warzones solo and wait around the PvP vendors. Meanwhile there isn't a SINGLE global chat to help with PvE grouping. Their LFG system is about 10+ years old.

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Over 2 mil sold? 2.1? 2.9? Did 400k quit? or 1.7mil? so vague, hard to trust these numbers

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by I_Return

Originally posted by ZizouX

The active subscriber numbers are current as of today.

See.... 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339812/page/1

and...

http://investor.ea.com/index.cfm

and...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=260271

you dont seem to "get it" . The numbers are non factual cause they are  "estimated" .  If you follow the stock quotes EA has dropped  in the months leading up to SWTOR to the launch  5 dollars.

www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1328139450261&chddm=1173&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=NASDAQ:EA&ntsp=0&fct=big

EA is in PANIC mode.

By Spring you can  be assured aroun 150 people will be let go to try and make up for the  loss in Stock quote, which is a reflection of Investors  weariness over EA failing at another mmorpg.

Why do you keep linking to their stock page trying to indicate something negative?  Their stocks were up almost 6.5% in after hours trading, after the news was released at 4pm. 

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Subs will decrease over the year.....theres better mmo's coming out and RPG's. 

Gw2

Tera (not good but still)

D3 

nuf said

• warbot7777warbot7777 Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by SBFord

Several key facts about Star Wars: The Old Republic have emerged according to the latest information released to investors and stockholders by Electronic Arts in preparation for the Q3 2012 investor's conference call.

• Over 2 million SWTOR units were sold in just over a month

• SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. "The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already." Eric Brown

• Metrics on engagement: 1 million users log in per day staying in game for 4 hours per day

• Server performance and stability exceeded expectation with 99.5% up time outside schedule maintenance.

• Grow subscribers with frequent content updates

• Another major update larger than the first coming in March

• Q3 2012 fiscal revenues are higher than Q3 2011 driven by the successful launch of SWTOR

• Net revenue for PC titles, including SWTOR, is up significantly over Q3 2011

• "Fastest growing subscription MMO in history," John Riccitiello

• EA shipped SWTOR units in December that were slated to ship in January, well ahead of schedule, and led to an increase in revenue in Q3 2012

• SWTOR drove most of the digital increase by Origin

• 40% of the sales of SWTOR came through Origin, numbers that were not shown in overall numbers of sales until now

• Increased marketing funds will be spent on SWTOR to take advantage of the momentum of the game's success to date. Ready to launch a major mass market television campaign and cross promotion with "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D" which comes out in February.

• "SWTOR will be an important factor in next year's results (fiscal 2013)." Eric Brown.

• PvP upgrades and expansion packs in the works

• Looking at the Asian market, Australian/New Zealand market sales expansion with more information to be released in the coming weeks and months.

You can check out these documents here and here.

Thank you very much for posting this. See guys?

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Deewe

What I would like to see is the numbers with the january drop.

I have a hard time trusting there are 1.7ish millions players. We went from full servers with long queues to almost all normal and around 5 heavy at peak time.

What I'm afraid of is the managers use these fake info not to fix the game and make it bleed even more.

WEll that is because they increased the sever pop cap. Some of it is because of pop drop but like I said they added new servers and increased pop caps.... so there isn't very much logic in your statement.

Plus not as many people are all playing at one time because their vacation is over and they have to go back to work or school. I actually think 1.7 is pretty close to what it is. If you look at WoW servers you will find its hard to beleive it has 10mil subs.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

But I thought this game peaked on Xfire?

because everyone uses Xfire right?

also, in before "how much did EA pay you to post this?" comments

Xfire said only 40 people were playing!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

SWTOR has 1.7 million active subscribers. 

Of course they are ACTIVE subscribers. You have to set up a subscription plan to enable your free 30 days in first place. Hence "active" means little in this context.

"The majority of these subscribers are paying customers already."

The majority  of 1.7mio can as well be like 850k, which is still impressive, but ranks around the number AOC had in it's first month. Still there could be 850k who had canceled, but their subs remain active a few more days.

I may be very well wrong about all this, but Mr. Eric Brown can as well be way off from the facts with his PR.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Then why i coudn't see anyone on the servers and i felt like i was playing alone with my stupid companion.

As someone said buy to play in the next month

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

not bad news - will see how this looks in 2 months  (allowing for the 1st 3 months)