Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers 2/1/12 [EA Conf Call Discussion Thread]

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Not too shabby. I'm still not resubbing until this game has grown quite a bit.  Will be interesting to see if they can keep this number or grow it over the next year.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Not bad a month and a half in.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

double WAR's peak, so about twice as long to hit bottom.

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

/yawn

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

good, that means it's successful. Hopefully GW2 doesn't decimate the SWTOR population because people want to play a real mmo!

I'm kidding. Glad to see it's going well.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

1.7 active as of 12/31/11

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Damn OP beats me to it. I know someone will post it and we will see different spin on the number to make it look like

1. EA is lying

2. Game is still failing bad

Hurry up guys...time to chew the report up :)

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Official market watch and financial reports by EA are lies.... This game is dying and everyone knows it.  All you need to read is the xfire numbers.  I get my info from xfire.. not these "official" market reports.   

The writer of the article is obviously on the take.....and if anyong doesn't think so, you're naive to say the least.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by Ausare

Ah, so this is really just the initial rush, not what the totals are currently (which I suspect have dropped)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Err...L2R ....all I have to say

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

this is Q4 2011 AKA the initial rush. this is not how many people are subscribed right now.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

The same issue was brought up in the official forums... One of the people who replied actually posts market trends and quarterly reports for a living.  He said, when the word "current" or "currently" is used in an article, it means just that... RIGHT NOW.

The report references the actual number of sales, but the active subscriptions are current (as of 2/1/12).  I dont' know if it's true, it it's at least one counter to your argument.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Incorrect.  That is for the end of their fiscal year's 3rd quarter, which ended yesterday.

There are 1.7 million subs right now. 

Edit: Nope I'm incorrect.  the fiscal quarter ended in december.....carry on   lol

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Kyleran

Ah, so this is really just the initial rush, not what the totals are currently (which I suspect have dropped)

No. The quarter report ended at 12/31/11

The current active sub number ( as of 2/1/12 ) is 1.7.

It will probably drop more after the next billing cycle. 1.7 is people who subbed after free 30 days. Either by 60 days game card or credit cards.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by fony

this is Q4 2011 AKA the initial rush. this is not how many people are subscribed right now.

Wrong.

This is Q3 of their Fiscal Year which ended yesterday.  

Edit, nope i'm wrong. lol.  ended 12/31/11  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Damn OP beats me to it. I know someone will post it and we will see different spin on the number to make it look like

1. EA is lying

Of course!  Because we all know that publically traded companies can define what 'subscriber' means to them, and then lie about it with impunity!.  However don't be too disappointed, the regular chicken littles will be in here screaming soon enough!

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Quarterly finacial reports can only show information for the quarters they are reporting.  Current info is report in a prospectus report.  Otherwise you get a black mark against you in the markets for mixing information from quarters.  All that information is from the end of 2011.

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

So many? That's a bummer because when TSW or GW2 comes out giving me an excuse to rage-quite with a dramatic open farewell letter to BioWare on mmorpg.com they won't even take notice:( 

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by ZizouX

Official market watch and financial reports by EA are lies.... This game is dying and everyone knows it.  All you need to read is the xfire numbers.  I get my info from xfire.. not these "official" market reports.   

The write of the article is obviously on the take.....and if anyong doesn't think so, you're naive to say the least.

I sincerely hope you're joking.

This isn't some marketing ploy or a press release.  This is a public earnings statement being made to the investors, has been through auditors, and is reviewed by the SEC.  These numbers are real.

Also, to the person who said the numbers for SW:TOR were through the end of December, no, re-read the article... it says those numbers are through "a little over one month"... meaning since the game launched at the end of December, those numbers are reflective of their subs at the end of January (i.e. yesterday).

• RamsaltRamsalt Member Posts: 20

"Electronic Arts Inc. today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

so 1,7mill people who setup a sub before that. I wonder how many still playing, heh.

Originally posted by Eliandal

Originally posted by zakiyawow

1. EA is lying

Of course!  Because we all know that publically traded companies can define what 'subscriber' means to them, and then lie about it with impunity!.  However don't be too disappointed, the regular chicken littles will be in here screaming soon enough!

They just did and I am laughing in real life LOL

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yes, the date is confusing.

It sounds more like they count every sold game in december as active subscriber, which is basically true.

But as the first month is free ...

Overall did EA make money or lose money 2011?

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The writer of the article is obviously on the take.....and if anyong doesn't think so, you're naive to say the least.

I don't use xfire and many people don't, xfire only shows the number of the people that have it running in the backround during game play, you'r logic is flawed.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm not trying to be a hater here, but aren't financial reports created at the end of quarters?  So wouldn't this data be from December 31, 2011?  Not sure, but that's just what I would think.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

These are legally binding SEC fillings.  If they lie people can/will go to jail for it.

This discussion has been closed.