Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: New Film Bio of Richard Garriott Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new film biography centered around Richard "Lord British" Garriott has been released. The film is called "Man on a Mission: Richard Garriott’s Road to the Stars" and centers around Garriott's dream to go to space which he ultimately did in 2008.

The film by Mike Woolf and First Run Features tracked Garriott’s trip into space on board a Russian Soyuz rocket. In chronicling his preparations, the filmmakers went behind the old Iron Curtain to reveal the way the Russians train their cosmonauts at a once secret training base in Star City, near Moscow, and send them into space from a base in Kazakhstan.

Read the full article and an interview with Richard Garriott at VentureBeat.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• talonkuntalonkun Member Posts: 13

This film must be like a troll video at NCSoft. :D

NCSoft: "We paid you millions to make us a game and all you care about is going into space?!!!"

NCSoft must have been been thinking I hope he doesn't come back because I know a lot of gamers who doesn't want Garriot to come back!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Tabula Rasa was not that bad.  Personally I think NCSoft was idiotic to give up on it so soon.  Certainly was a lot better than many of these f2p games we have today and also better than some of the subscription ones.

I know it is popular to rag on Richard, but his problem has always been that the money boys always seem to want to ruin the good parts of his games.  

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Tabula Rasa was not that bad.  Personally I think NCSoft was idiotic to give up on it so soon.  Certainly was a lot better than many of these f2p games we have today and also better than some of the subscription ones.

I know it is popular to rag on Richard, but his problem has always been that the money boys always seem to want to ruin the good parts of his games.  

This

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by talonkun

This film must be like a troll video at NCSoft. :D

NCSoft: "We paid you millions to make us a game and all you care about is going into space?!!!"

NCSoft must have been been thinking I hope he doesn't come back because I know a lot of gamers who doesn't want Garriot to come back!

really? This is your addition to this thread... wow.

I'm going to be in touch with Richard by the end of this year... I will then pitch him a game design document and hope he blesses it with some nice words.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd guess that NCSoft ditched TR to get out of paying a poorly negotiated license.  If the game needs to make X dollars to pay the license, and doesn't earn that much it can be time to cut losses.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I couldn't agree more.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Remember folks, the game was called Richard Garriot's Tabula Rasa. Keeping the game online could have implied in several legal issues even if they just changed the name after he left NCSoft.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

RG is a visionary, and was able to shape games from conception through to implementation better in previous years, before the MMO market turned into what it is today. Is he arrogant? He sure seems to be. At least he is the equivalent of a gaming Hall of Famer and has reasons for being so.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I love those "visionaries".. really there are 10 times better people at making games now than he.Why should we care about him? Oh I guess if someone made 1 good game x years ago then sudenly gamers will be loving him till the end of time.

edit. sometimes I wonder if some people have those "visionaries" posters on their walls.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

/Agree.  There were alot of really cool things about it.  Unfortunately, there was just so much stuff that had to be scrapped, and so much money spent making that stuff, that the game launched lacking content in almost every aspect.  There wasn't enough content to level, there was almost no crafting and what was there wasn't worth doing...

If all that time and money that was lost had actually been put into the game that ultimately launched, I think it would be still around and doing well, right now.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Tabula Rasa has been lurking around in my head a lot lately.

Wish it never closed. I'd love to see where it would be right now had it recieved a steady level of updates and attention.

Might've really been something by now.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Why does Garriott have Fan Boys?  What has he done?  I see a long list of Ultima Online stuff (thats one thing), looks like he was involved in Lineage and Lineage 2 but doesn't really say how much, and the rest of "his" games on the list are epic failures....

Ultima online seems to be the only thing he has going for him...

The simple fact that he seems to try and plaster his name over everything he's involved with really makes me hate him even more.

• GhostsanGhostsan Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by Painlezz

makes me hate him even more.

Why are you so eager to hate? Make love not war. :)

Tabula Rasa was a great game, its a shame that we lost it...

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Originally posted by Ghostsan

Originally posted by Painlezz

makes me hate him even more.

Why are you so eager to hate? Make love not war. :)

Tabula Rasa was a great game, its a shame that we lost it...

Yep, it was a good game. Shame that NcSoft have give up so quick from this game.

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

that pompus ashole got a movie? !

jesus hollywierd  may as well  go all out...(life of a mad-murdok)  

or speilburg and speilburg

It..Burns..