Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO with aggressive Q4 2012 launch date: Fallen Thrones

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

It is a Shadowbane remake with ideas pulled from other older games too (DAoC, UO, EQ) that is built on a real engine instead of some junky engine built from the ground up (ie: Shadowbanes failure).  They are using the BigWorld Technology engine.

Need a forum for this new MMO.

http://fallenthrones.com/

I will agree their timeframe for lauch is very aggressive but then again its the BigWorld engine.  How long did World of Tanks take to launch?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Do you happen to know to what degree it is a remake? Like is it a full remake, with the only huge change being the updated engine and graphics...or are they changing a bunch of stuff, such as the entire map, skills, etc. Like what are they keeping and what are they ditching.

Also, I can't find where on the website it says it's a remake...is that just common knowledge on the forums or what?

UPDATE 1:

In December, a developer of this game made a comment in the following thread:

"I simply can't go into detail about the amount of changes that separate this from Shadowbane (and similar games), as there is just too much for one post. There are upcoming semi-regular "Spotlights" that cover some important systems, and I hope these will clarify the intentions of our design. Currently, thoroughly reading the FAQ is a good start.

I will say one of the fundamental design differences is supporting newer players and casual players. It still won't be a cake walk to hop on and figure out the game overnight, but there's definite support that similar hardcore games lack(ed). A lot of this ties in with the NPC factions and "fall back zones". Unlike a safehold in most sandboxes, the NPC factions will war each other (sieges and all) and are a relatively viable entity to be apart of on a permanent basis. There's a high chance players in NPC factions will not even be able to attack their own faction. I believe there's more on this in the FAQ, but I find ensuring that new/casual/non-competitive players don't just get stomped out of existence the second they leave noob island is vital."

http://fallenthrones.com/forums/showthread.php?109-Have-you-examined-the-reasons-SB-died

UPDATE 2:

Here is another quote from their FAQ:

"This is where Strife Media, and Fallen Thrones, differ.  We have no plans to re-invent the wheel, and no plans to create something that has never been seen before, well, not yet at least.  A proper foundation is crucial before one can propel themselves into the unknown, or much of what can be done is wasted, and nothing is learned.  This is very important, and because of this, we've decided to carve our niche in more familiar territory.  Taking a look back at the earlier days of MMORPGs, we've found that true gems, such as Shadowbane, Ultima Online, and even Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest to an extent had many extremely interesting properties and aspects that were abandoned in their next-generation successors.  As to why many initial concepts were abandoned and forgotten is no great mystery when compared with some alternatives that soon arose.  However, we feel those original concepts, ones of meaningful adrenaline pumping conflict and danger were not inherently flawed.  Instead, those concepts suffered greatly because they were radical and few could understand how they might work without seeing it first, in addition to a lack of technology to fully realize them."

http://fallenthrones.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=41

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

Looking forward to the progress on this one. Q4 really is an agressive release date but I'll give them a shot.

dips on closed beta :p

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    whoa I had no idea that a game called Fallen Thrones was coming out

if only you posted the same thing over and over again maybe more people would listen

but seriously spamming /= promoting a game
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

PvP with full loot?

Good, a game i can avoid and save some time.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by -Zeno-  How long did World of Tanks take to launch?

history at wiki says 2 years  (22 months)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Tanks

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Thanks for the infomation. The game may have a shot at my $ if it has siege and some form of player loot.

• wr036wr036 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by nariusseldon

PvP with full loot?

Nope.

How is player death handled?

Once your character takes enough damage to reduce your health to zero, your character is considered dead. While death is not permanent, there are a slew of penalties, giving a real reason to not want to die. The penalties are as follows:

1. Your corpse remains with all your belongings outside those bound to your very being. In short, all items in your inventory are able to be looted by any who find your body. This includes gold. Banking items gathered in your inventory every so often is crucial in this game.

2. Items currently equipped take a point of damage. While these items may be repaired, every additional repair lowers their maximum durability. If, and when, they run out of durability, they are beyond repair, and permanently broken, making them impossible to use again. High quality weapons have higher durability and can last up to a few hundred deaths, but more importantly cost an exponentially higher amount to repair.

3. Your soul returns to your currently bound Nexus (existing within a city), which materializes your body once more. For a few minutes after being rematerialized, you have Resurrection Sickness, which greatly reduces your capacity to fight.

Despite these penalties, there are numerous ways to quickly bring you back to your place of death, but these require teamwork and organization. There are abilities that other players can use to fully resurrect you on the spot (returning you to battle immediately), others that can summon you back to a battle after you have respawned at a nexus, and yet others that may remove your resurrection sickness.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Already on my watch list...

Originally posted by wr036

PvP with full loot?

Nope.

Once your character takes enough damage to reduce your health to zero, your character is considered dead. While death is not permanent, there are a slew of penalties, giving a real reason to not want to die. The penalties are as follows:

1. Your corpse remains with all your belongings outside those bound to your very being. In short, all items in your inventory are able to be looted by any who find your body. This includes gold. Banking items gathered in your inventory every so often is crucial in this game.

2. Items currently equipped take a point of damage. While these items may be repaired, every additional repair lowers their maximum durability. If, and when, they run out of durability, they are beyond repair, and permanently broken, making them impossible to use again. High quality weapons have higher durability and can last up to a few hundred deaths, but more importantly cost an exponentially higher amount to repair.

3. Your soul returns to your currently bound Nexus (existing within a city), which materializes your body once more. For a few minutes after being rematerialized, you have Resurrection Sickness, which greatly reduces your capacity to fight.

Despite these penalties, there are numerous ways to quickly bring you back to your place of death, but these require teamwork and organization. There are abilities that other players can use to fully resurrect you on the spot (returning you to battle immediately), others that can summon you back to a battle after you have respawned at a nexus, and yet others that may remove your resurrection sickness.

hmm .. and i quote "In short, all items in your inventory are able to be looted by any who find your body". If that is not full loot, what is?

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

PvP with full loot?

Nope.

hmm .. and i quote "In short, all items in your inventory are able to be looted by any who find your body". If that is not full loot, what is?

looting of equipped gear duh.

• wr036wr036 Member Posts: 24

PvP with full loot?

Nope.

Refer to point #2. Full loot implies looting of both inventory and equipment.

Originally posted by Cuathon

PvP with full loot?

Nope.

looting of equipped gear duh.

Oh .. hehe .. i guess i read too fast. Ok, this is partial loot .. not full loot ..

Thanks for the clear up but there are plenty of other games without partial loot, so i guess i will still pass.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

pvp ffa, pure player-driven, small company ...

so far the best preconditions to fail or best case to pine away in a niche, if we look to the last years.

dont get me wrong. i would appreciate a good sandbox very much. but i doubt, this is a promising approach.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Considering they have absolutely jack shit to show about their game so far, I'd say their launch timeframe might be slightly optimistic to put it in a nice way.

I'll check back in 6 months or so.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

The description of the game is "to good to be true" just like some others in the pass.

Promise features in a general way its easy, made them work its other thing.

For me, i just bealive when i see it and try it. Allready learn few years ago to NOT OVERHYPE any game  image

But yes, i will keep a eye on this one image

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Remember Rift who mocked World of Warcraft? Went right into the trashbin.

"Too good to be true?" - sure, with nothing to prove - no sceenshots, no media. Just theory. Lawl

1 year production - yeah, right.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I hope they list here.  This would be one to keep an eye on.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MarkusanMarkusan Member Posts: 92

It certaintly looks interesting. Hopefully each new iteration in the genre improves upon previous games in some aspects. The partial loot sounds much better than full loot of for instance darkfall. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I was interested. Then you said bigworld. Im sorry but id rather use hero engine than that o.o preference is to building it ground up though... But still!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Well, I'll admit, this game looks interesting. However, there is one glaring flaw that keeps me skeptical and I describe it in one word: Classes

Classes, in the past, spell trouble for anygame, especially one with such ambitions as Fallen Thrones. I dont care how many archtypes a class offers, a class is still a class, constricting, binding, unbalanced, and over done.

If these guys really took a look at UO, they would know that a free form skill system is best. Why? It allows for more variety and gives players more control over their character, customizing them to their tastes and unique play styles. Not to mention it keeps people on their toes in combat situations. Sure, that guy is weilding a 2 handed sword and wearing platemail, but what else can he do? Is he an accomplished caster too? Will that claymore strike be followed up by a fireball to my face? Or is he a theif too who will try to steal what he can from my pack while we are in close quarters? You just dont know and it makes players have to shift their combat strategy on the fly to compensate for the surprises their opponent throws at them.

But, with classes, you bascially know whats coming at you, and that gets old fast.

Then youve got the problem with levels. I dont like the idea of some arbitrary number guaranteeing another player will best me because Im level 40 and the other guy is level 50. In UO, a group of newbies could bring down a veteran character if they worked together. Skill determined the outcomes, not levels and stats.

Otherwise, with the sieges, full loot, open PvP, and meaningful game play, this game is definitely on the must watch list and will have my attention.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Their FAQ sounds too good to be true. And when that's the case, it usually is.

"Caelum is a world with almost no instancing.  There are no battlegrounds, warfronts, scenarios, or anything of the sort."

Either this game is the ultimate April fools joke or it's going to look like the predecessor to Pong. But hey! Here's hoping that it is indeed real! Cheers!

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by precious328

"Caelum is a world with almost no instancing.  There are no battlegrounds, warfronts, scenarios, or anything of the sort."

Either this game is the ultimate April fools joke or it's going to look like the predecessor to Pong. But hey! Here's hoping that it is indeed real! Cheers!

I dunno, I think non instancing is quite possible to do.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by precious328

Uh oh, take a look at the crafting rules. Players dont craft, NPCs do. There are no crafting skills for players to pick up and players cannot craft their own gear.

From what I understand, you have to gather the materials for gear then take it to an NPC crafter and they will make you what you want out of the mats for a price. The best NPC crafters will be in player run cities and basic ones will be available in NPC cities.

This is a huge disappointment. I was hoping for a decent crafting system for players to enjoy... oh well.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

I like the playable races