Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the yellow question marks?

blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

From what I seen/read/heard this game seems to be just what many gamers, whom are tired of traditional themeparks, are looking for. However, I have to mention that I almost died when I saw a yellow question mark in one of the videos. Why?! That's what I hate most about themeparks. Can anyone give some clarification to this? Is it implemented the same way that it is in every other game? Is there some other alternative to questing? I hope that I don't have to grind through a terrible linear experence just to get to the good content for endgame.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

While you're at it you might as well get rid of mouse cursors or restrict it to 3 monitor displays to simulate peripheral vision. It's a video game, nit pick much?

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

There are some themepark elements in this game that concerns me as well.

If I see sparklies for collections, I'm not going to waste my cash.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

They game does have themepark elements, but it leans more heavily toward the sandbox type game - think of it as a sandpark.  :)

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by blognorg

From what I seen/read/heard this game seems to be just what many gamers, whom are tired of traditional themeparks, are looking for. However, I have to mention that I almost died when I saw a yellow question mark in one of the videos. Why?! That's what I hate most about themeparks. Can anyone give some clarification to this? Is it implemented the same way that it is in every other game? Is there some other alternative to questing? I hope that I don't have to grind through a terrible linear experence just to get to the good content for endgame.

I think they just went with "yeah well, lets get them the ? and ! as everywhere else" - recall value. They didnt thought it through.

But is it really that important? I love innovations, the hell with you who dont ;) but what You have done different?

I only see a critical post, which is good on the one hand - but on the other hand really dull without delivering an improvement.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Kabaal

While you're at it you might as well get rid of mouse cursors or restrict it to 3 monitor displays to simulate peripheral vision. It's a video game, nit pick much?

Sorry, but I don't think that criticizing a potential major element of the game is nit-picking. It'll probably be the different whether or not I even play it. I mean, I never even made it to the max level in WoW for that reason. I would turn it on, do a few quests, get insanely bored, then turn it off.  It doesn't matter how great it is at the end if I can't even get there. Besides, all I'm doing is asking for clarification.  It's just that so far, I haven't played a game that I liked which has a questing system. I'm curious if they are trying to mix it up in any way. If so, then I'll keep an open mind.

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Originally posted by blognorg

I think they just went with "yeah well, lets get them the ? and ! as everywhere else" - recall value. They didnt thought it through.

But is it really that important? I love innovations, the hell with you who dont ;) but what You have done different?

I only see a critical post, which is good on the one hand - but on the other hand really dull without delivering an improvement.

I wouldn't say that I'm being critical yet. I don't have enough information. I'm just asking if the "?'s" indicate what it does for other games that have them. Personally, I've enjoyed the leveling process in the past... until everything started adopting the quest hub concept. I could never get into it.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Yes, there are quests.

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Yes, there are quests, deal with it Candy-asses.

• beerwigbeerwig Member Posts: 22

Who cares?By the time this game comes out,it will be old and no one will play it.

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

I haven't been keeping up with the game, but from what I remember there's 3 continents available. Two of them are pretty themepark oreinted, having quests, raids, dungeons, and all that stuff. The third is the complete opposite, where you can build castles, have sieges, n' fight for resources. And I don't really know how accurate that is, but I hope it kind of clears things up.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by Mr_Wolfx

I haven't been keeping up with the game, but from what I remember there's 3 continents available. Two of them are pretty themepark oreinted, having quests, raids, dungeons, and all that stuff. The third is the complete opposite, where you can build castles, have sieges, n' fight for resources. And I don't really know how accurate that is, but I hope it kind of clears things up.

Misinformation and totally not what the OP was asking about

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

Frankly the UI and questing looks very wow-ish, exclamation marks and all. From what I've seen, it looks like the leveling process is standard issue theme park with a 2 faction set-up. I think that at or around level cap it transitions to siege warfare/ sandbox on a seperate island... at that point you can mix with the other faction.

In other words, you have to get though the themepark to get to the sandbox. This hybrid might be the closest we get to a AAA sandbox, if it ever gets a NA/EU distributor.

I am not 100% on these points; this is what my perception is from following this game and watching a lot of vids. Please correct me if you have other info (with links preferably)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

Originally posted by Mr_Wolfx

Misinformation and totally not what the OP was asking about

Maybe you can clarify then? Like I said I haven't been keeping up with it. And I think it's very relevant to what the OP is asking, considering that he wanted to know why there was yellow question marks in a sandbox game. 

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by beerwig

Who cares?By the time this game comes out,it will be old and no one will play it.

good joke hahaha

Cry Engine 3  you don't know it

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Ok my understanding is there are quests and levels within the game. For the first 15 levels you are hand held in a theme park style progression. The intention here is to allow everyone to learn the game in a controlled way and introduce them to the early aspects of the lore. This may change as the game gets older and the majority of players are well versed in how things work.

However after level 15 you are let loose and there isn't any direct restriction in how you progress. You can continue with the questing if you so wish but I understand from this point on you can pretty much build, craft, farm and do whatever you want from here on out.

I think it is quite a good setup, a little bit of hand holding to learn the ropes and then go fish to your hearts content. I am just hoping we get some RP servers.

Originally posted by honoursword

Ok my understanding is there are quests and levels within the game. For the first 15 levels you are hand held in a theme park style progression. The intention here is to allow everyone to learn the game in a controlled way and introduce them to the early aspects of the lore. This may change as the game gets older and the majority of players are well versed in how things work.

However after level 15 you are let loose and there isn't any direct restriction in how you progress. You can continue with the questing if you so wish but I understand from this point on you can pretty much build, craft, farm and do whatever you want from here on out.

I think it is quite a good setup, a little bit of hand holding to learn the ropes and then go fish to your hearts content. I am just hoping we get some RP servers.

I agree: I think that direction is good in the beginning. Many games fail in this regard. I actually enjoyed the first 15 - 20 levels of WoW. I've just gotten discouraged about the yellow question mark thing over the years. If what you say is accurate, then that honestly doesn't bother me that much. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well first of all - this game is sandpark and not sandbox ,so there will be some handholding especially at beggining.

Yes there also will be quests.

Besides this game is supposed to be relatively casual , well not in WoW sense ,but it is VERY far imho from DFO or EvE.

I am ok with that - even though I have great memories with for example UO , - game to be living, breathing and be continuoesly developed NEED players and also more casual type of players.  That also means that AA will have quite a bit things that will not be seen 'happily' by 'hardcore sandboxers'.

But seriously I really want to play succesful AAA game that is not another themepark WoW clone and NOT another half-assed feature-less bugged indie "true" sandbox.  (sorry all folks who work hard making those indie productions - not ironic - speaking honestly here).

If that require yellow questmarks and this kind of stuff - I am ok with that.

• SarayuSarayu Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I heard from someone in beta that the quests in game are not terribly original, but they aren't stale either. He explained a quest where you are in an underground cave, and had to run into these air bubbles to keep from drowning.

Also, from what I understand that the quests are mostly for low levels, and they give you an opportunity to learn the lore of the game. It also gives you the opportunity to suit up for the first time, and get some armor. Apparently quests, and a little more rareley mobs will drop armor and weapons, but crafting will generally create better items.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

It has your modern day "follow the icon" quests and tab targeting... so friggin what? it'll be the next big thing the American companies didn't foresee ( i myself can't figure out why....)

The need for such a game has been out for a decade now, but only the asians have had the GUTS to venture to such lenghts in creating an MMORPG! ulike the American companies  competing to create the same game with different skin (since blizzard made so much money)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.