Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Playing Outside North America

Comments

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375

Being scared of hackers is just like saying .. hey we got shity account security but we do our best ! ... stupid move imo

• greywolf2002greywolf2002 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Well, their game, their rules i suposse. I agree qith some people, this seems racist and a huge generalization, and hackers can bypass IP blocks and all that,.

But i think you all are forgetting one very important thing, and that is: if you restrict how many countries you can give service, you have to pay much less taxes.

And with all this problem of economical crisis and shit, it's natural not giving service to areas/countries which will not give them a big benefit. I can't imagine a lot of, say, africans playing TERA.

They are very busy stitching Nike and Adidas products. (LOL i am racist ban me NAO)

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by greywolf2002

Well, their game, their rules i suposse. I agree qith some people, this seems racist and a huge generalization, and hackers can bypass IP blocks and all that,.

But i think you all are forgetting one very important thing, and that is: if you restrict how many countries you can give service, you have to pay much less taxes.

And with all this problem of economical crisis and shit, it's natural not giving service to areas/countries which will not give them a big benefit. I can't imagine a lot of, say, africans playing TERA.

They are very busy stitching Nike and Adidas products. (LOL i am racist ban me NAO)

Not to mention that most people from these regions would be better off playng the EU version anyway due to better latency.

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

(Massively? With only NA players? This is not my idea of massively.)

But, really, i can understand IP blocks for fighting RMT. Yes, it's no good for legitimate players (and i really don't understand why they block Africa and Middle East), from China or other asian countries (and Russia), but there are a lot of goldsellers from those regions. We cannot want people from all around the world and, at the same time, no RMT: near to be impossible.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

ah yes can't forget that too, they will just make it have even more private servers from games they ip block.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

So does this mean all those cybercriminals will then flood the EU servers? How nice...

• mastaDmastaD Member Posts: 10

Good idea on Paper.... but the way people can Mask their IP's .... it wont change a Damn thing

• BoostedBobBoostedBob Member Posts: 21

My impression on this is "Damned if you do, Damned if you dont" 

Personally I am happy they are doing this, we will see though if it does have any impact once the game does go live.

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Will En Masse IP block based on region?

To keep the quality of service high for players within North America we have decided to disable IP addresses from which fraudulent traffic originates. We encourage players in these regions to participate on servers specifically designated for their area.

We block IP addresses used by hackers

En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, Russia, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior.

What about proxies?

Services that promise to improve your ping and decrease lag may sound promising, but they are frequently used by hackers and criminals who want to remain anonymous. Although we do not block them by default, a proxy or server host will be blocked if it becomes a popular tool for criminal behavior.

Proxies will still be usable to those who want to play on the NA servers. And from the sounds of it EME won't try to filter out proxies as long as they don't traffic in a significant amount of "criminal behavior."

Also there is nothing rasist about what they are doing. I wonder is they hadn't said that they will be blocking Africa, if you would still be calling it racism.  I know some of you are over the age of 18, so lets try and be adult and logical about this.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Now while I do not belong to any countries in that list , I'll be damned on if their official statement did not sound overly racist. 

yes, obviously "everyone in russia and asia" are hackers.

Frankly this solves nothing. The actual "cyber criminals" from scary big asia and scary big mother russia will still get in through proxies and ip masking and millions of other methods. 

En Masse is trying to sidestep the NEED to develop actual anti-hacking tools, but it won't help even a bit.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

I hope they dont add latin america to the ip block list....God dam BRs they make the rest of us look bad >.<.

Originally posted by Yuui

Now while I do not belong to any countries in that list , I'll be damned on if their official statement did not sound overly racist. 

yes, obviously "everyone in russia and asia" are hackers.

Frankly this solves nothing. The actual "cyber criminals" from scary big asia and scary big mother russia will still get in through proxies and ip masking and millions of other methods. 

En Masse is trying to sidestep the NEED to develop actual anti-hacking tools, but it won't help even a bit.

Most traffic is from cyber-criminals =/= most people are cyber-criminals.

How many Russians, Middle Easterners and Africans do you think would play in the NA servers? I think they would be a small amount of people just because playing on EU servers would be better because of the latency. So most traffic from those servers would prbably be cyber-criminals.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

It's a great idea. If all companies did this rather than looking at the money first, those countries would be forced to do something about it and the inocent people there and everywhere else could play in peace.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Makes no difference to me as i wont be affected but the gold sellers, bots et al will be there regardless of who they ipban. The only people who lose out are the legitimate players, much like DRM on single player games.

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100

What about South America? Does anyone know if they will get their IPs blocked too?

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by Dragviper

What about South America? Does anyone know if they will get their IPs blocked too?

Well its not on the IP blocking list they have released, so i'm going to guess no. So you should be ok.

From  http://tera-support.enmasse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/147/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyODAzNDIzMi9zaWQvSTg0TE94UGs%3D

"En Masse has a license to operate TERA game servers in North America. This means that if you are in North America, South America, Europe (excluding Russia), and Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia) you can play on En Masse Servers."

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

"En Masse has a license to operate TERA game servers in North America. This means that if you are in North America, South America, Europe (excluding Russia), and Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia) you can play on En Masse Servers."

http://tera-support.enmasse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/147

• DragviperDragviper Member UncommonPosts: 100
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

If this is only blocking to the NA and EU servers I think that is fine because won't they have their own servers to play on? I don't ever feel the need to play on an Asian server if there is a NA server to play on.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Yeah, they will get their servers for their own region, so they can hack eachother and sell gold to eachother lol, brilliant.

But as others have said, farmers will just be using proxies, :/

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

Block away.  

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Even though I'm on South America and it isn't getting blocked, it's pretty ridiculous to see such a measure, those with ill-intents can just use proxies to commit their ToS-violating deeds in the game while you will force the legitimate potential players to either not even bother with the game or go through the same method.

It's like they aren't even trying to have lots of subscribers, supposing their game is ever released on NA considering the lawsuit and the existing conviction on South Korea.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

was gonna give them my money, oh well... looks like they dont need my money

although im staying in Canada right now, but i will go back to Japan next year, so i might as well not try this game at all because leaving the game unplayable will kill me

So What Now?