Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why didn't they go for a third faction?

Comments

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Starpower

Originally posted by Dredphyre

just as they like rooting for them in movies. 

Since when to people root for the bad guys in movies? Hardly ever.  

Of course they do. That's one of the main reasons why Friday the thirteen and the Freddy movies became so popular not to mention TV Shows like Dexter

You could do with a little social awareness

But grandpa, that was 20 years ago. And what is a TV? image

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Pelaaja

Of course they do. That's one of the main reasons why Friday the thirteen and the Freddy movies became so popular not to mention TV Shows like Dexter

{mod edit}

Not to mention the popularity of the GTA franchise. I could go on and on. Hell it's even widely publisized about the popularity of the antihero in modern times.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

{mod edit}

Not to mention the popularity of the GTA franchise

Ye, you're right. Maybe people get to release their forbidden desires in entertainment. Society these days is pretty restrictive.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by Sagasaint

1) because it costs more money

2) because it takes more development time

Hammer meet nails.  So many awesome things they could've given us if they only had the time and money.

I could see Hutts working well as a 3rd faction.  Even sith or jedi would work for the Hutts if the credits where good.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Metentso

Developement complexity of 1 faction: 10

Developement complexity of 2 factions: 40

Developement complexity of 3 factions: 160

Just out of my ass but you know what i mean.

The development time might increase , but it will not become more complex that much really (well doing it now after the release makes it a lot more complex), but a lot of systems would still work the same. In fact I image you could easily create a system that let's you create new factions without changing any of the other core system whenever you want, but simply a button press (well and offcourse by adding classes, ranks, whatever). I however am no game designer, but do understand programming, but does not seem to complex to me.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

- oeps that was quote instead of edit

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

What third faction?

The Grey Side?

I don't even think a third faction would have saved the freight train accident that SWTOR is...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Because WoW is a 2 faction game and it's very successful.

Did you really think they had a better reason than that?

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by Coman

The development time does not come more complex that much really (well doing it now after the release makes it a lot more complex), but a lot of systems would still work the same. In fact I image you could easily create a system that let's you create new factions without changing any of the other core system whenever you want, but simply a button press (well and offcourse by adding classes, ranks, whatever). I however am no game designer, but do understand programming, but does not seem to complex to me.

There's nothing easy about creating a third faction.  Granted if they had planned for it, programmed for it, all at the start it probably wouldn't have made of a difference.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

keep in mind though this is before any of the movies or anything so the lore in regards to a 3rd faction would work the hutts would be an awesome 3rd faction but why not make the revanites be a 3rd faction? that would be a lot more cooler to see revan making a come back and wanting to destroy both factions and make peace and just have where imp/rep  be able to switch over to his side and just give them some different armor and there ya go. Either idea is good and i wish they did implement a 3rd faction b/c the way things are atm there going to have make cross server pvp soon

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Xasapis

I thought it would have been better if there was no factions at first and everyone started out neutral, and your actions and choices in the game determined if you went light side, dark side, or neutral gray.  So in the end there would have been 3 factions.

That would require some genuine effort and an open ended story, something that Bioware are not known of doing.

I suppose that a game where you started as an anonymous force user and then due to your actions (good or bad) you gained reputation with either faction and then decided to join that faction. Or get dragged by force to either camp and choose to escape or create havoc.

I'm beginning to describe a game in Bethesda's phylosophy though, which is not what Bioware seems capable or willing of doing. Too bad, because when the story ended, so did my willing to play the game and thus renewing my subscription.

It's too bad because it could have been free flowing,  meaning that if you decided you did not feel like playing a dark character at end game you could change sides just by doing good actions or choices until you went from Dark  to Gray to Light,  and vice versa.   Much better option than having to reroll just to play the other side IMO.  Could get quite confusing if your in a guild though :p

confusing for who...idiots like you ?

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

They could still do it. Was talking to a friend about this the other day. Come up with a new class for an expansion, (no idea what, but non-force) and move them, BH and Smuggler into a third faction for 3 factions of 3 classes each.

That third faction could be Hutt-related/controlled, which would kind of fit for a splinter/neutral faction in a war betwen Sith and Jedi. But I don't know how easily you could tweak that in with the existing stories on all the different worlds. It's be pretty cool politically as well, siding with either side depending on how the wind blows in true profiteering fashion.

I can armchair hypothesize all I like, we all can, but none of us knows why they decided against three factions, or even if they had any choice in the matter (Lucas strikes me as being all about the good vs bad, forced duality system).

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

They could still do it. Was talking to a friend about this the other day. Come up with a new class for an expansion, (no idea what, but non-force) and move them, BH and Smuggler into a third faction for 3 factions of 3 classes each.

That third faction could be Hutt-related/controlled, which would kind of fit for a splinter/neutral faction in a war betwen Sith and Jedi. But I don't know how easily you could tweak that in with the existing stories on all the different worlds. It's be pretty cool politically as well, siding with either side depending on how the wind blows in true profiteering fashion.

I can armchair hypothesize all I like, we all can, but none of us knows why they decided against three factions, or even if they had any choice in the matter (Lucas strikes me as being all about the good vs bad, forced duality system).

Move them?

I don't see a whole lot of folks being too happy if they are moved to another faction without options. What if it was a guild leader on the republic side?

I don't see them adding a third faction to this game at all, unless an entire expansion is dedicated to just that, and i don't see that either.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by blondeh

because there wasnt one in the movies....

It was all about good vs evil. Empire vs the Republic (rebelion). 

/thread

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Lidane

/thread

Empire at War ended a third faction which was criminals like the Hutts, crime syndicate etc, they could have done that, especially seeing as in the KOTOR games theres a large galactic crime organisation called 'the Exchange'.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lidane

/thread

I was wrong earlier. Both Han Solo and Boba Fett worked for the Hutts in the first movie. It wasn't until later that Han joined the Republic. The bounty hunters never joined the Empire, they were hired by the Empire as extras to stand on the bridge. There are instances of Bounty Hunters working for the Republic in the SW literature.

It's not against the lore or any of the literature. Some of the lore and literature supports the idea of a third, neutral faction, so long as that faction is a criminal faction.

** edit **
    Here's why they didn't do it. The way they did it neatly fit two classes per starter world. They couldn't start Troopers and Imp Agents on the same world so those two classes would have been alone on their starter worlds. If the Imp Agents still started on Hutta with the BH and Smugglers, the Troopers would have been alone on their starter worlds.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

They didn't go for a third faction because this is Star Wars and it has always been about the good guys & Jedi vs. the bad guys & Sith. I'm sure they also didn't go for it because they are emulating WoW in many ways... which had only two factions.

I do think that 3 factions would have been cool though. Like if they made smugglers and bounty hunters part of a mercenary faction who could work for either Republic or Empire. That would be cool... and would potentially help some of the population imbalance in my opinion.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Charas

3 factions doesn't fit the lore. Everything is bipolar in the Star Wars universe, all about the struggle between good and evil, dark and light side of the force, empire and republic.

Strictly for RvR  functionality, yeah it would have been nicer to have 3 factions instead of 2 but in a SW game, where everyone is so attached to the lore (both franchise owners and fanbase), I never see that happening.

I dont agree. Han Solo was originally completely indifferent about the conflict and Boba Fett and the Hutts didn't seem to care about Dark Vs Light either so a third neutral faction would definetely make some sense.

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

A mercenary faction, per se. Not really a faction but a neutral group for smugglers, bounty hunters, (lets take the imperial out of) agents, and troopers. Let them complete a quest to determine what faction they are and then if they want to switch they have to pay "reparation fees" to the other faction for "the pain and suffering"

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Voracity2325
    A mercenary faction, per se. Not really a faction but a neutral group for smugglers, bounty hunters, (lets take the imperial out of) agents, and troopers. Let them complete a quest to determine what faction they are and then if they want to switch they have to pay "reparation fees" to the other faction for "the pain and suffering"

They could have gone with 3 classes per faction. The Empire and Republic factions would each consist of mirrored Warrior, Mystic and Trooper classes, while the third, criminal or mercenary faction would consist of Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and Agents. The trooper classes could each start on a trooper world, but very early in the process get shuttled to the Jedi world, after which they would transfer to the stations at level 10 or so. The third faction people would stay on Hutta until level 10.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

with as much as everyone pisses and whines about PVP and the almighty word "balance" i cant blame them for not doing it.

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

I thought it would have been better if there was no factions at first and everyone started out neutral, and your actions and choices in the game determined if you went light side, dark side, or neutral gray.  So in the end there would have been 3 factions.

I really wish every game has this approach although a light side sith sorceror might not work so well but then i guess you could not start as a lvl1 sith sorc and instead know by the time you reach a certain level if you wanted to be one you would be choosing to join the ranks of the dark.

Planetside and DaoC and UO showed multiple factions works extremely well and it is crazy to try and stick with the good vs bad formula

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Charas

3 factions doesn't fit the lore. Everything is bipolar in the Star Wars universe, all about the struggle between good and evil, dark and light side of the force, empire and republic.

Strictly for RvR  functionality, yeah it would have been nicer to have 3 factions instead of 2 but in a SW game, where everyone is so attached to the lore (both franchise owners and fanbase), I never see that happening.

I dont agree. Han Solo was originally completely indifferent about the conflict and Boba Fett and the Hutts didn't seem to care about Dark Vs Light either so a third neutral faction would definetely make some sense.

You guys do realise in Star Wars there are over 40 governments, factions, councils, confederations, states, dynasties, empires, and other political groupings?

Limiting this to 2 just another way SWTOR the claimed epic mmo has been limited.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Sagasaint

1) because it costs more money

2) because it takes more development time

3) and most important, because WoW only has 2 factions, and they have been trying to clone WoW. a shame they forgot to clone Blizzard's polish, quality and care in all they do.

I fail to see any polish, quality and care in wow, please explain

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

You could do with a little social awareness

Not to mention the popularity of the GTA franchise. I could go on and on. Hell it's even widely publisized about the popularity of the antihero in modern times.

I'm  likely more 'socially aware' than you, short bus, so GFY.  If you had any clue regarding drama, you'd realize there's a difference between bad guy/antagonist and an anti-hero.  The Dark Knight is an anti-hero.

And if you're reading comprehension was up to snuff, you would have noticed the two words I typed out: Hardly ever.  Didn't say never.  On top of that, people aren't rooting for Freddy to win.  Because guess what, if he did, there'd be no franchise, there would be no story.

Do some people have sick fantasies about being these antagonist? Sure. But let's not confuse that with the arc of drama, and how antagonists work in fiction. The vast majority of people root for the protagonist, be they good guy or anti-hero.