Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest: F2P Coming in March

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Brodter

Sounds like a good idea but far too late. The graphics are way outdated which will deter new players. As well, Sony's version of f2p is terrible. Their basic model is, players can login and make a character but if they want to chat or quest or make money or make a cool race, then you need to pay 15$ a month.

Imho they want to get mainly OLD players back and make make them spend some money in cash shop basing on 'ol good times players memories' before it is too late to do that.

Ofc totally new players will be a bonus - but for totally new players - there are DCUO / EQ2 among others made for.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

To mirror what others have said, SoE's idea of F2P is entirely too restrictive. I find it very hard to get hooked on the game when so much of it is out of reach. For example, MMORPG players get attatched to their character at creation, and most races/classes are off limits.

It caught myself saying 'this is not who I am' when I tried the game a few months ago.

If this is ever revised, I'd give all future SoE games a decent shot for sure.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

I'd definitely play again IF they allow the vets to keep their already made characters and classes. I would not want to come back and start a new character like how it was with EQ2

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by csthao

I'd definitely play again IF they allow the vets to keep their already made characters and classes. I would not want to come back and start a new character like how it was with EQ2

I'm almost positive they will allow it, since they did the same thing with EQ2. 

I have a Dirge, Illusionist and a Paladin (all paid classes currently) for free since I already had created them before the F2P conversion.

Also you'll be Silver member like EQ2 (if I'm not mistaken).

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Originally posted by Vyeth

You have to be kidding me... The original EQ F2P before VG F2P? That is absurd.. I mean, I understand the anger and animosity involved in the whole SoE vs Sigil thing, but come on.. Money is money and VG would bring in players and flow (if they did the CS right) to SoE anyway..

Anywho, I will more than likely get on this and return to a different age of mmo (if its even the same anymore).. Hopefully they create a new progression server that starts the timeline over with no expansions and works its way through them over time..

So they increased the team size and there seems to be a new Producer.  Hopefully this means Vanguard might go the F2P route soonish.

2 x 0=0

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

woot, an MMO i can play on my mini laptop!

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

hopefully this is even a modest sucess so Vanguard can go free-to-play

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

hopefully this is even a modest sucess so Vanguard can go free-to-play

Well im guessing they were satisfied with the transition to F2P with EQ2 otherwise they wouldn't be making the switch with EQ :D

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

problem is how long will new players last in EQ.Lets face it vets and new players are miles miles away and doubt the gap can be closed at all.

Its one thing for EQ2 which has 90 levels and only 300AA or so which is doable in a month to EQ with the zillion AA.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Pretty restrictive f2p options for a 13 year old game. Colour me not very impressed.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Loke666

I guess it was just a matter of time.

I wonder if they plan to do the same for Vanguard as well? I have a feeling that are choosing between that and closing it down, I hope they keep it around. Even with all it´s flaws it is still a good game.

Vanguard is to Sony as Dark Age of Camelot is to EA.  Lost and forgotten though ironically on both accounts, games that if focused on would bring big profits and importantly - fun for the players.

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161

Only 4 classes and Races are free? I'm not fond of being asked for money in a F2P game before I've tried the game a bit, let alone before I've CREATED MY CHARACTER!

And there will be in game ads reminding me to upgrade? 

Pass. I skipped trying EQ2 and AoC for simmilar reasons.

• PandacanPandacan Member Posts: 13

I read somewhere today that they're putting more staff onto Vanguard, i wish i wouldve saved the link. Im sure a quick google would find it. Personally i really hope, i had a lot of fun with Vanguard. If it went F2P like EQ and EQ2 I would pick it back up in a jiff, although i may just pay the 15$ a month.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Comaf

Vanguard, games that if focused on would bring big profits 

There is absolutely zero evidence to think this is a remote possibility.  Infact, there is huge evidence to the contrary.   People forget how much the game improved in the period between SoE acquiring Sigil and stopping development 18 months later.  People also forget how no one cared they were working on it and no one played.

They would need a pretty big infusion of players to be able to do enough development to make it worthwhile, and I dont see it happenng.  The game has some of the ugliest characters I have ever seen and the gameplay isnt as fluid as people are used to.  these two things (one of which is very minor) hurt the game a lot.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Only SOE F2P news I care to hear is Vanguard, when that happens, I will be very happy!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

Originally posted by Quicksand

Only SOE F2P news I care to hear is Vanguard, when that happens, I will be very happy!

I too would like to see this happen for a few reasons. It would be interesting to see if a short term gouging for profits with a horrible ftp setup like eq2 would enable them to get over the hump financially to fix the massive amounts of bugs still plaguing the game as well as the continued poor performance on many machines. It would also be interesting to see if it would bring in enough people to fill the lower levels so people could find groups, one of the major reasons people state as why they left. Finally it would be interesting to see if vanguard had the same short term financial boon eq2 is experiencing, would it actually lead to more content or would $oe simply milk the hell out of it and continue the life support plan vg has been on for years now.

• patient32patient32 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Everquest goes F2P................ And there was much rejoicing.

"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon... Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all the heavenly glory" (Bruce Lee)

(Insert your favourite mmo here): ......And behold, a pale horse.... And a million hellishly bad mmos followed with it.

• patient32patient32 Member UncommonPosts: 96

.... But then people noticed that F2P doesn't include the Progression server (basically the only reason for playing EQ)... And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon... Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all the heavenly glory" (Bruce Lee)

(Insert your favourite mmo here): ......And behold, a pale horse.... And a million hellishly bad mmos followed with it.

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Haven't played in over 10 years.
    Still unsoloable?
    Still impossible to find a group to drop the dragons?
    Still has horrible plains raiding?
    Still impossible for a paladin to get his holy avenger?
    Corpse runs?
    Where can I get this info?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I would go back if they opened up a new prog server when they launched this for the returners/ newbs F2P will attract.

Same rules as the last one would be fine.

I have no interest in playing a top heavy community/ server that has existed for over 10 years.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Methos12

Didn't really like how they handled F2P in EQ2, but I'll keep my eyes on this one. Who knows, perhaps even SOE can learn from their mistakes.

lol :)

Originally posted by staran

Still unsoloable?

Corpse runs?

Im far from up to date on the game but when they did the 45 days for getting hacked i got a small feel. With mercs you can solo at least to 70 and existing players say even a rogue can solo to max with a merc.

No corpse runs, you can summon corpse for small fee depending on level to the guild lobby i think its called off pok.

As far as  the other three id say yes,still impossible from what i saw.

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by staran

Still unsoloable?

Corpse runs?

Still playing on and off so maybe I can answer some of your questions.

-It's very soloable game now, with the mercenaries addition it's even more easier. On normal servers, there is Defiant armor/weapon that drop by tier off mobs all the way to the high levels. Of course if you want to raid, that armor will barely or not even cut it, but it help newbie leveling process a lot.

- Depends what dragons you are talking about, most old world/kunark dragons are soloable/duoable, but then again this mean pretty much on farm status. 

-Planes: If you play on progression servers, they are up to the expansion Planes of Power (about to unlock or just unlocked, not sure). Otherwise, old world planes are pretty much like old dragons, easy/farm status. PoP planes are more leveling zones.

-Paladin: Unless you really want to have the Holy Avenger for the sake of having it, a low level Defiant sword will probably be better.

-Corpse runs: Nope, you can summon your corpse at a corpse summoner, for a fee. 

Other infos: On the progression servers the population is still somewhat alive, played last week and dark elf newbie area had around 10-20 new characters running around.  There is of course, on any server, a lot of catching on considering levels, gear, AAs but it's doable.

I think the F2P model will do what it needed to be done for people. You try the game to at least get a feeling of if you want to play EQ1 anymore or not. If you get to the 250AAs cap, by then you'll probably fork over the 15$. I somewhat disagree with the progression server lock, unless they release a new server for the F2P. Maybe they didn't want lot of 6 boxers to swarm the prog servers. Races being mostly irrevelant in EQ i don't care but for classes it depends what classes it will be. My guess is one of each type DPS/Healer/Tank/Support

• I simply cannot wait all the New School MMO Gamers who started on WoW call the game stupid because they can't move around buttons on their bars and can't find their "abilities" or spells.

This will be something to look forward to.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

The question is, what server are we all gonna start on?  No point in spreading ourselves thin.  Obviously, no matter what server we join, the population is currently 90% or so max level characters.  I think it would be in all of our interests if we joined the same server so we can  have active groups and the like all the way up.  Unless they were willing to start a new server for us.  Which I dont think they will do for at least another year if all things work out somewhat well.  

I kind of want to start playing on the PvP server but I know the people there are so ridiculously twinked that it would be the most pointless exercise in futility ever.  Probably end up fighting against some level 15 twinks with 10k hp when my dps is still only a meager 10. 

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.