Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs that cater solely to the hardcore faceplant monthly

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

The major complaint around here is that MMO are becoming easier and more casual.

well on the flip side of things, does making MMO more hardcore, actually make these games more successful?

taking WoW for example. MMO Champion did a sample size on the Fireland Raider population. it shows only a tiny percentage of the player base have completed HardMode Rag, and a small percentage beat normal Rag.

but word around here in WoW has become a Casual easy game, and has spread this Casual easy trend to new aged MMO.

But if the games are becoming easier, than why so few people can beat the contents.

this is when I have to question, what the MMORPG community consider to be "EASY"......

WoW has been the top MMORPG in the west, but it started dropping subs as they changed to cater more to the Hardcore community which been crying out. But it seem to have backlashed on Blizzard.

And I notice this same kinda crying out here from the MMORPG community. these Hardcore players as we call them, seem to be the vocal minority, which are driving the development of present and future MMO down hill.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by MMOExposed

The major complaint around here is that MMO are becoming easier and more casual.

well on the flip side of things, does making MMO more hardcore, actually make these games more successful?

taking WoW for example. MMO Champion did a sample size on the Fireland Raider population. it shows only a tiny percentage of the player base have completed HardMode Rag, and a small percentage beat normal Rag.

but word around here in WoW has become a Casual easy game, and has spread this Casual easy trend to new aged MMO.

But if the games are becoming easier, than why so few people can beat the contents.

this is when I have to question, what the MMORPG community consider to be "EASY"......

WoW has been the top MMORPG in the west, but it started dropping subs as they changed to cater more to the Hardcore community which been crying out. But it seem to have backlashed on Blizzard.

And I notice this same kinda crying out here from the MMORPG community. these Hardcore players as we call them, seem to be the vocal minority, which are driving the development of present and future MMO down hill.

People are not talking about artificially inflated raid difficulties man. They are talking about the game.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Tab targeting and pressing 1,2,3...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by AdamTM

Tab targeting and pressing 1,2,3...

yes and that sure is getting you through Fireland right?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

A lot depends on what population you're sampling.  If it's everyone who has ever logged into the game, then that's very different from if it's everyone who is logged in at some particular time.  For example, check here:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/SpiralKnights/achievements

41.8% of Spiral Knights players on Steam don't have the "Welcome, Stranger" achievement for beating the very first level.  A brand new character might do that 15 minutes after completing character creation.  Or much faster if it's someone's alt who knows what to do.  Only 16.9% have ever completed tier 1, and a new player might do that a couple of hours into playing the game.  For comparison, at any given moment, I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of players logged in (80%?  90%?) have completed tier 1 at least once.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I played wow a long time ago.  At that time no one on my server completed all the raid instance.  In fact the developer comes on forum and states less than 1% have completed all the raid instance. 

Getting elite pvp gear is impossible.  Only 2 people on my server get the epic pvp weapon.  I played 10 hours everyday for a few month doing battle ground and I didn't even come close. 

After all the complain, they finally implemented arena, and the general pvper can get gear at a pace.  But the arena is still challenging.  Let's say you want to be the top 5% pvper, you have to be better than 95% other people, that's challenging.

That to me is hardcore. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Another

Hard raids = hard game   assumption.

Damn this argument "WoW is not easy cause it have hard heroic raids" IS REALLY OLD.

I don't care about raids.  Almost at all.  Actually I don't really like very hard raids.

I want hard / not faceroll GAME.   Crafting, open world combat, normal dungeons, game promoting/ forcing interdependability etc  <--- THIS HARDER

Not few hard instanced raids. Hard mode raids could be even easier imo.

Originally posted by fenistil

Another

Damn this argument "WoW is not easy cause it have hard heroic raids" IS REALLY OLD.

I don't care about raids.  Almost at all.  Actually I don't really like very hard raids.

I want hard / not faceroll GAME.   Crafting, open world combat, normal dungeons, game promoting/ forcing interdependability etc  <--- THIS HARDER

Not few hard instanced raids.

how can WoW or any of these post WoW games be Easier, when Vanilla WoW didnt have that as well?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Another

Not few hard instanced raids.

how can WoW or any of these post WoW games be Easier, when Vanilla WoW didnt have that as well?

There were mmorpg's before WoW you know?

Besides Vanilla WoW was easy, current WoW is EVEN easier.

edit:

I just saw you asked do 'making game more hardcore make it more succesful?".

If you mean succesful = more people playing?

Then no it does not.

Obviously easier game = more subs.

That's obvious.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Cuathon

People are not talking about artificially inflated raid difficulties man. They are talking about the game.

Right.

Im baffled by the op.

Hard mode instanced raiding that one washes repeats and does continuously over and over again has never been and will never be recognized as something similar to hardcore, let alone mmorpg enthusiast-like.

Reason why 50% of subscribers seem to leave a subscription-based mmorpg within the first few months has little to do with that and more to do with the realization that one is paying $15/month for what amounts to a lobby-system cooperative online rpg with very little to no content that resembles what a massively-multiplayer open and organic player-involved and influenced world should.

Originally posted by Khors

Right.

Im baffled by the op.

Hard mode instanced raiding that one washes repeats and does continuously over and over again has never been and will never be recognized as something similar to hardcore, let alone mmorpg enthusiast-like.

Reason why 50% of subscribers seem to leave a subscription-based mmorpg within the first few months has little to do with that and more to do with the realization that one is paying $15/month for what amounts to a lobby-system cooperative online rpg with very little to no content that resembles what a massively-multiplayer open and organic player-involved and influenced world should.

Finally someone agrees with me. I have been fighting the good fight for years but its so hard when no one else weighs in on your side.

Right.

Im baffled by the op.

ok, show me this game that is the opposite of this. which you obviously enjoy.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm still trying to figure out what, exactly, "Hardcore" means.  Is it spending your entire waking life leveling up toons?  Raiding 5 times a week for 6 hour stretches?  Playing a game that has full loot ffa pvp?  Playing a game with permadeath?  So confoooosed.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Being a rather solitary person, I don't do raids, so please exclude my stable of characters from the difficulty calculation.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm not getting involved with this arguments. 

The only thing I want to say is I play wow 1.0 and 2.0.  And the raid of wow is hard.  It's technical and require coordination between many people.  wow 1.0 is ok, alot of people complete molten core.  But for 2.0, the raid get harder.  I'm on a relatively high population server and no one on my server was able to complete the raid. 

But weather the game itself is hard or not, you guys can argue, that's my only comment. 

• scioccosciocco Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by jdlamson75

I'm still trying to figure out what, exactly, "Hardcore" means.  Is it spending your entire waking life leveling up toons?  Raiding 5 times a week for 6 hour stretches?  Playing a game that has full loot ffa pvp?  Playing a game with permadeath?  So confoooosed.

Go Flyers.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

I think HARDCORE  to me anyway are the people who raid 6 nights a week non stop. Those who rush to lvl cap in 2 days.  Have super strict guild rules like no one talks in vent during a raid. I'd would say over 50 hours a week?

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by sciocco

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Go Flyers.

Right on.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

If I want to work, I get on the phone and call my boss.  They are always short staffed.  I get bonus pay plus overtime and make a shitload of cash.

If I want to play a game, I sit down in my relaxing chair and have some fun.  It is not fun spending my entire afternoon or evening with 20 other people pushing the same few buttons for hours and hours to get nothing or maybe one piece of gear.   It's not fun having to do that 20 or 30 or 50 times to get a complete set.

I would rather bla bla bla on mmorpg.com than raid.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Right.

Im baffled by the op.

ok, show me this game that is the opposite of this. which you obviously enjoy.

I agree.  Please Khors, what is this "massively-multiplayer open and organic player-involved and influenced world"??  If this game existed, or ever existed, I'd play it too.  It seems like some people here fabricate this idea of a perfect sandbox mmorpg, when one has never existed yet.  But people talk about this type of game like it used to exist, and they say that current day mmorpgs have de-evolved from them.  

There may have been some older mmos with a few sandbox concepts, but no true sandbox with "player-involved and influenced" worlds.  I had played most of the popular old mmos that people say were better than the themeparks today.  Yet none of those olders games were very dynamic.  Maybe some cities changed factions with RvR going on, but that doesn't make the world dynamic.  

And the OP is right when he says any attempt to make a more 'hardcore' or sandboxy mmo fails.  If you look at games like Ryzom, A Tale in the Desert, and Wurm; none of them did very well at all.  And none of those examples (except Wurm) had fully dynamic worlds.

And it's also funny to call games like WoW and TOR a 'lobby-system' when there is more socializing, and grouping done in those themeparks than any of the sandbox wannabe games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Another

+1

The OP really needs to play something other than WOW.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Another

+1

The OP really needs to play something other than WOW.

I notice you say this often, but what MMO is hard, based on this topic?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Terranah

If I want to work, I get on the phone and call my boss.  They are always short staffed.  I get bonus pay plus overtime and make a shitload of cash.

If I want to play a game, I sit down in my relaxing chair and have some fun.  It is not fun spending my entire afternoon or evening with 20 other people pushing the same few buttons for hours and hours to get nothing or maybe one piece of gear.   It's not fun having to do that 20 or 30 or 50 times to get a complete set.

I would rather bla bla bla on mmorpg.com than raid.

Me too.  ^_^

Raiding is stupid! Thats why my MMO has no stupid raids or instances or phasing. Gear is something you get to help you in your goal, not the goal itself.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Oh boy.. It's funny how a couple of you underestimate the difficulty of some instanced encounters. The gameplay may not be to your liking, but that clearly does not make it easy by any means.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Yeah...as others have said, you're assuming that all hardcore players like to play hard raids in WoW.

Personally, I hate raiding, always have.  It's too much of a hassle.  I've never even been on a raid, the whole thing just seems so tedious to me.

Yet, I like games like Dark/Demon Souls which are hardcore.  And I liked the open loot aspect of Darkfall.  So I don't fall into your assumed box, and many others don't either.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?