Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: v1.21 'Biggest Patch Yet'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest edition of the Final Fantasy XIV Producer's Letter has cropped up on the official site. The first part of the post is a gigantic list of changes coming in the patch. The second half is a more narrative version of what the patch will bring into the game.

Patch v1.21 will bring, among other things, these features to FFXIV:

• seven classic jobs

• two instanced raids

• a 'cutscene replay' option

• chocobo armor

• adjustments to classes

• a revised spell-casting system

• changes to food and medicine effects & recipes which has been completely overhauled from the conceptual level. The team will be providing more information about this as the time for the patch approaches.

Hamlet Defense will not make it into v1.21 as the team has found the system to be overwhelming in its scope and needs more time in development.

Lastly, the patch will be delayed to the end of February to allow for the optimal amount of time finalizing the patch to ensure all systems are in their proper working order.

Read the full post on the Final Fantasy XIV forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Glad to see progress is still going along.

I will drop in to see this XD

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

I'm still gonna wait til 2.0 but every new patch seems to be going in the right direction keep it up SE :)

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    Also you forget to mention residence in each city.
  • Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Server mergers to.. i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing population low i guess?

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

I did not bother to re-sub once they started charging us as I got bored just logging into this game

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Looks great!

They're bringing in the updates at a good pace and as they have stressed the PS3 version is also to come out at all costs its good to know ill be able to have an MMO besides DCUO to play on my console.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'll try it again also but not before 2.0 which to me seems to be the point the game is really ready. 

It's going in the right direction but I just dont know if thats enough anymore.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

A year and a half after release and they are still basically in Beta.  Even though they did not charge a sub for most of that time, they still made you buy the game.  Sorry, I just do not support companies that do that.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

If 2.0 can have a ffxi feel, even somewhat, I won t care about any other MMO at all. I m hoping so, and actually optimistic about it, but we ll see. I might be the rare MMO type nowadays, but I actually like the journey, and a long ass journey too, rather then the end game. Please SE make this ffxi 2, with a few tweaks for the UI(which it seems like they are).

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

good news. I hope they remake the UI for PC users to be more PC-ish than console-ish. Otherwise i still may not buy the game.. I have a hard time playing computer mmos with console UI (DCUO)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Patch delayed by 2 weeks at least. There won;t be Hamlet Defence if I understood correctly.

I might check it out at 2.0. Most of their patches seem big in producer letter but actually in game it feels like you can do everything in a matter of 2 weeks. And they didn;t manage to change the feeling that the only way to progress in game is doing leves or grind with any earlier patch. I really hope that by 2.0 release they will manage to change that.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Love seeing progress made with FFXIV, still looking forward to this game being what it can be.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Patch delayed by 2 weeks at least. There won;t be Hamlet Defence if I understood correctly.

I might check it out at 2.0. Most of their patches seem big in producer letter but actually in game it feels like you can do everything in a matter of 2 weeks. And they didn;t manage to change the feeling that the only way to progress in game is doing leves or grind with any earlier patch. I really hope that by 2.0 release they will manage to change that.

If this Hamlet defense is anything like Campaign battles in 11 it should be a valid option to lvl up.

That said i did hate lvling up doing Campaign battles tho the most fun for me was getting a good/fun group to lvl/grind on tough mobs and i would love to do that again in a game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

"Hamlet Defense will not make it into v1.21 as the team has found the system to be overwhelming in its scope and needs more time in development."

It's really nice to see a developer that isn't full of bullshit. So sick of companies using marketing terms and treating the customers like idiots.

Still keeping an eye out for this game, hopefully when 2.0 releases they will give ex-players a free trial.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I really should give this game another go, but just thinking about the combat *Shudders*.

Be honest,  Does this look exciting to you?

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I still log in and play (gasps).  I find the "sandboxy" feel to the game to be very refreshing.  The game is slowly but surely improving for the better.  The developers have been nothing but transparent and have aside for some short delays - have delivered on everything promised since its release.

Make no mistake - the game is still in flux and still very much a 'beta'.  The future is encouraging and 2.0 will make or break the game. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

how incredibly awful this game turned out always made me a little sad. hoping it becomes decent enough to play around 2.0 (and it'll have free trials at that point, so anyone can test out the new version)

• SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52

Worst MMO ever.  I still want my money back, the game was nothing like they promised prerelease.

Boring combat.

Boring and stale world.

Boring crafting.

No reason to ever play this again.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Sparka

Worst MMO ever.  I still want my money back, the game was nothing like they promised prerelease.

Boring combat.

Boring and stale world.

Boring crafting.

Lol, ok.

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

I will happily pay the sub. cost and check out the game if they ever drop the need to buy the game itself. I'm sorry but with all of the terrible things I've heard about the game I'm not going to pay $60 and a sub cost without the option to at least trial the game. Bad business model Square, seriously has anyone noticed how shitty this company has become since they joined up with Enix? FF13 was dreadful, and so was 12.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Sparka

Boring combat.

Boring and stale world.

Boring crafting.

Ummmm. I do value your opinion and trust me, I got burned for 80 bucks also. However, it would appear that you have not read the post at all before commenting. The team, which is new as most were fired after the initial game came out, has already introduced a ton of changes.  The issues you note are all being/have been addressed and by 2.0 a completely new engine is being used and a new client to address the world itself. 2.0 will hoefully be the game they promised. 

I'm just commenting as to your "No reason to ever play this again" comment. There is a reason for some of us. They got my 80 bucks and I'm not getting it back. However, they are putting a shitload of time and resources to fix what was broken... the entire game..lol. 

So unlike you, I feel there is a reason to play again. You already bought the game, might as well finally get what you paid for.  If they can really deilver on this 2.0, I think they can sucessfully re-release this game to the FF fans and pick things back up with a bang. I know I'll be back for sure. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by abyss404

I will happily pay the sub. cost and check out the game if they ever drop the need to buy the game itself. I'm sorry but with all of the terrible things I've heard about the game I'm not going to pay $60 and a sub cost without the option to at least trial the game. Bad business model Square, seriously has anyone noticed how shitty this company has become since they joined up with Enix? FF13 was dreadful, and so was 12.

Last I checked, the game itself was down to about 20 bucks. May be cheaper around the net. If they can deliver with 2.0, it will be worth it. But you're right, you're not going to pay $60. 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Seven classic jobs sounds very, very interesting. That is a big change.

And I would like to find out more specifics, if anyone knows, about the revision to the spell casting system. I really wanted to play a caster centric character and found that you simply run out of mana too quickly after the 1.18 update I think it was. I understand that this is how it is supposed to be "balanced" now with casters really having to watch mana use but all it does is make it so you have to go extended periods of time not casting. which, for a caster is, in my estimation, stupid. I don't want to be forced to melee most of the time and cast sparingly. Other, older games have had this kind of mana resource conservation game play and it is simply not appealing.

So the question to anyone who is currently playing or has more details about this upcoming change. Has pure caster gameplay become any more viable? Or is casting still severly limited by resources?

All die, so die well.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by moosecatlol
    I really should give this game another go, but just thinking about the combat *Shudders*.

While the combat may seem unexciting, it's supposed to follow Final Fantasy's basic principle of turn-based combat and you'll come to appreciate it for what it is once you've tried it out yourself. Personally I would prefer Crystal Chronicle's way of using real-time combat, I found out this works very well in multi-player mode and it's a lot less dull and slow.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by abyss404

I completely agree with this.  Considering the battles on these forums about the game before and just after release on it's playable state, I don't see how anyone would take such a leap of faith on this game.

The best thing they could do is launch a free trial program maybe around 2.0 path time.  I bet a lot of people would be willinging to give it a go. Square have made a lot of bad business decisions over the last year and half in reagrds to this game.  If they welcomed some new player some of them might just stick around long enough to make this profitable.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!