Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When should Funcom release TSW?

Obviously some of you will say just ,"release it when its ready" but "ready" is a very subjective and ambiguous term and whats ready varies wildly depending on who is being asked and ultimately who has the final say.

Supposedly Funcom plans to release TSW in April but its highly likely the game could be pushed back for a number of reasons.

The problem with the April-July timeframe is that this will almost certainly put TSW into direct compeition with GW2 (suspected June release) and possibly even Diablo 3. Both of these games will likely suck any kind of momentum out of TSW and if the game isnt ready and Funcom releases it TSW is basically DOA.

unless GW2/D3 get pushed back into late 2012 as well theres really not much competiion slated to be released around then either and none of them are likely to be direct competition for TSW(Planetside 2 for example).

Obviously a big part of me wants the game ASAP and if its ready to be released in April I'm fine with that but if its not I personally think October would be the perfect time for TSW (especially with a big Halloween tie-in).

So what release window do you think would be best?

Comments

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Since I have no beta key, I can't say a release window...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

April.  Because that's 2 to 3 months before GW2, plenty of time for the newness to wear off and let me know if I like the game or not.  If I like it, great I'll stay subbed and play GW2 anyway.  If I don't, I'll get my month or 2 out of it and move onto GW2 full time.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

If Funcom wants them to push it out in April, I'd add 6 months to that date to get a more solid game with standard MMO features in todays market.  I chose November/December to be safe.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

A Halloweeny release would be fitting, given the "dark" feel to TSW.  I'd prefer it to come out a bit sooner, but October gets my vote.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

double post

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by BilboDoggins
    The problem with the April-July timeframe is that this will almost certainly put TSW into direct compeition with GW2 (suspected June release) and possibly even Diablo 3. Both of these games will likely suck any kind of momentum out of TSW and if the game isnt ready and Funcom releases it TSW is basically DOA.

I think The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are complimentary MMOs. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, combat, graphics, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.
    There are people that have made up their minds to play one or the other, and there are people that have made up their minds to play neither or both. They could release on the same day and that wont change.
    The potential customers that are on the fence will make their decisions based on impulse which is usually graphics and setting which GW2 and TSW are worlds apart.

edit: added the quote I was replying to.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Given the history of AnarchyOnline and AoC''s release i don't think one could push the release date back far enough,  My guess is it will be a box sale game only and will dead after 2 months no matter when it releases.  If thats the case better to release it in April so Funcom can move on to their next underdeveopled and unfinished game where they can say again this time they have learned from their previous failures and will do it right this time   Anyone notice a pattern?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would say, "When it's ready, regardless of when that is."

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I think The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are complimentary MMOs. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, combat, graphics, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.

There are people that have made up their minds to play one or the other, and there are people that have made up their minds to play neither or both. They could release on the same day and that wont change.

The potential customers that are on the fence will make their decisions based on impulse which is usually graphics and setting which GW2 and TSW are worlds apart.

While its true GW2 and TSW are 2 pretty distinct and different MMO's they are still both MMO's and releasing around the same time as GW2 is a much bigger problem for TSW than if GW2 released around them. If this was something like Planetside 2 and TSW I think you would have a stronger point because those games are almost different genre's really.

GW2 may not have sub fees like TSW but both will cost the initial box fee which is another problem. (in this case it would be best for TSW to release early though or a good 3+ months after so people are more willing to spend that initial cost). Release them to close together and MANY gamers will have to choose which game to purchase and I can assure you TSW will come out on the losing end of that decision for the majority of people.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I have a lot of hope for TSW but if they release in April I fear it will be overshadowed by GW2 and Diablo 3. FUNCOM cannot allow another Age of Conan release failure. Age of Conan could have been a big hit even today if they didn't fail cascade the launch. It is a good game.

I say push back TSW until October after Diablo 3 and GW2 fevor has waned. FUNCOM should put a ton of features and polish into the game until then.

Whenever they release I will be trying the game but if they release within a month or two of GW2 or Diablo 3 it will seriously hurt it.  

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Better off trying to define the 'ready' in 'when it's ready'. If they approach from the direction this thread has approached it (comercial pressure) then it is likely to release when it's 'not ready' with the attendant risk that involves.

Love or hate Rift Trion have set the recent standard for 'ready' though games like LoTRO and DAoC before it where good also.

So release when it's 'ready'.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I don't think TSW has any choice but to win in quality. Unlike GW2, it needs a subscriber base, and if the product doesn't convice people on release, that will take a huge hit. They cannot afford to blunder the launch, so release when it's done is the only sensible option.

It might not even be that much of a deal to launch after GW2, as without a sub fee those players could easily take a break from the game for a while to check out other games once the newness wears off. But TSW needs to be a game that is worth taking the time off for.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

They announced April, they either have to go with that or make another announcement about a delay.

I wouldn't bet on that happening. Ideally, I'd say when it's ready, but realistically I see it being pushed out the door on the announced ship date regardless of whether it's ready or not. That seems to be standard operating procedure these days.

Regardless, I'll give it a look. The Lovecraftian influences are enough to make me buy it, I'll see about everything else after that!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't see d3 as an issue, completly different game.

There was talk that the game is pretty much ready now, but got pushed back so ea could milk swtor
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I don't see d3 as an issue, completly different game.

There was talk that the game is pretty much ready now, but got pushed back so ea could milk swtor

Killing time this weekend I found some posts on the age of conan forums.   What I was reading there in regards to TSW wouldn't exactly confirm that.   Beyond the opinion parts what was said was...

As of december there had only been two limited beta phases.

I saw a post on the TSW forums either saturday or sunday that someone had recieved an email about an upcoming test but couldn't find the download link.   The post was removed later but I would assume another phase is about to start.   I belive with AoC they did testing that way...   As opposed to Anarchy Online which had a pretty standard test.

I find it hard to believe the game is going to release when they announced... or that it if it did it would be in any condition to justify buying.   I've been a supporter of the game because its different and I actually enjoyed AO a lot.. AoC some but not as much.  (I like funcom alright).

Phase 1 of the secret war didn't work out that well.   Phase 2 hasn't even started...   We are almost into February and April is two months away... and they are still in limited closed beta sessions...   For a comparison "general beta" for TOR or at least what I'd called General beta... started in March of 2010  (I don't count the december phase because it was pretty small in comparison).

Even if they had a larger beta pool today... I don't think two months is enough larger scale testing time.

I am not sure if they can delay it past April ... and I'm not in beta so I can't honestly say but I find it hard to believe the game is ready to go live then.   Funcom can't release another game in a condition that isn't ready for *live*  (my opinion) or they should get out of the MMO business and stick to single player games where they seem to do very well.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Outside people have been in closed beta since May
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I seriously don't know where people are getting the impression GW2 will launch in Q2. Personally, I'd say it's August at the earliest.

Then again, that still does not mean TSW won't be launching at the same timeframe.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Just twittered with my Beta friend again. he is very loyal to the NDA, but I was able to get two things.. The game is really stable.... And *drums*, they have apparently started to test on the crafting system. He said it's supposedly OMG Good!!

Feeling that I am getting a bit hyped :). Looking forward to this now.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by DannyGlover

While its true GW2 and TSW are 2 pretty distinct and different MMO's they are still both MMO's and releasing around the same time as GW2 is a much bigger problem for TSW than if GW2 released around them. If this was something like Planetside 2 and TSW I think you would have a stronger point because those games are almost different genre's really.

GW2 may not have sub fees like TSW but both will cost the initial box fee which is another problem. (in this case it would be best for TSW to release early though or a good 3+ months after so people are more willing to spend that initial cost). Release them to close together and MANY gamers will have to choose which game to purchase and I can assure you TSW will come out on the losing end of that decision for the majority of people.

You're assuming that GW2 is a better game than TSW regardless of all the differences in design and approach. That is a grey area since the "better" game is 100% pure personal preference. For all we know, GW2 could be the ones that suffer if they release too close to TSW's release. I know thats blasphemy around here, but its true :)

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by DaSpack

Just twittered with my Beta friend again. he is very loyal to the NDA, but I was able to get two things.. The game is really stable.... And *drums*, they have apparently started to test on the crafting system. He said it's supposedly OMG Good!!

I will be able to confirm that, since i FUCKING FINALLY GOT INTO FUCKING BETA!

FUCK!

YEAH!

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Soon...all games will release soon....

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I'm gonna state the obvious....

They should release when they feel they have a game they can truly be proud of.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Whenever it's truly ready to be released.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

When it's done ;)

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by DaSpack

I will be able to confirm that, since i FUCKING FINALLY GOT INTO FUCKING BETA!

FUCK!

YEAH!

SS's, FRAPS or it didnt happen!

imageimage