Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA Combat Video ( Beserker )

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Video showing a battle against an Elite. Notice how the Beserker uses its block ability during the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiGouNuK3Tk

Comments

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

*yawn* slow combat is slow.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

combat in Tera is stop/and/go stop/and/go  i really disliked how they used the animation as the global cooldown so you are besicaly rooted in place wile animation finishes.

prettiest game out there though that's for sure.

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

Two years ago I was looking forward to TERA yet after more of the game on display that desire has faded. This video delivers a continuation of that sentiment.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Wow that game looks really cool. I hope NC's law suit doesn't stop this release into the US and Canada.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am also really hoping the lawsuit does not stop the release. Other then ArcheAge this is it for me.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

whys this remind me of blade and soul.

Looks really great, I guess Im just stuck on Aion, my favorite game.

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Also, combat is a tad bit slower because of latency here. Though not by much. 

I actually like that it locks you in your animation, much like vindictus. 

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

combat in Tera is stop/and/go stop/and/go  i really disliked how they used the animation as the global cooldown so you are besicaly rooted in place wile animation finishes.

prettiest game out there though that's for sure.

I've got to agree with this. I hate traditional MMORPG combat for 3 reasons:

- I never feel like I'm completely in control of my character and what happens to my character.

- I'm given an unnecessary amount of abilities, most of which I don't use.

- I feel like I'm stuck in the mud, especially as a caster.

Tera fixes my first 2 issues with MMORPG combat, but locking characters, in place, with their animations is not ideal and doing so to melee classes is a cardinal sin IMO. It's one of the several reason why I simply cannot get excited for the game.

• DrWigglyDrWiggly Member UncommonPosts: 26

It makes you learn the anims, and learn what to do when. Much like Monster Hunter / Dark Souls / Demon Souls. Somewhat more taticle. Vindictus does too , but it auto corrects for you when you're stringing animations together, which I kinda don't like.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

Combat reminds me of many single player action games, the boss charges his power move, he growls puts his weapons up and then assaults giving a good 3 to 5 seconds for you to move or block. Once you get a his tells down all you have to do is follow the rythm. The AI seems non reactive too, it doesn't interupt and go after the one he has aggro on. It just finishes the move even if it hasn't started the actual move. Just seems tedious for a nine and a half minute fight.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

IMO both GW2 and Tera have great combat.

However i kinda like Tera's combat more, having skills lock you down while you do them adds a whole new level of tactics, you have to be much more careful of what skill you use and if it's worthy considering it's animation.

Also that video doesn't make justice, the Berzerker is the slowest class of the game, the Slayer and Warrior are much faster.

I just can't imagine how allowing everyone to bunny hope and run around while they do a sword slash makes sense, sounds like simplification.

Also i would love to see a combat video of a Caster in GW2, do you have to aim like you do in Tera?

BTW, if this game didn't had huge weapons, it would be impossible to PVP with melee clases xD.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

It will be the best sub game on the market in NA & EU when it launches.   All tab-target lovers need not apply.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• YouNubeYouNube Member Posts: 25

10 minutes to fight 1 elite, that does the same thing over and over and over and over again? 

So sad that i was actually looking forward to this game :(

Originally posted by Cochran1

Combat reminds me of many single player action games, the boss charges his power move, he growls puts his weapons up and then assaults giving a good 3 to 5 seconds for you to move or block. Once you get a his tells down all you have to do is follow the rythm. The AI seems non reactive too, it doesn't interupt and go after the one he has aggro on. It just finishes the move even if it hasn't started the actual move. Just seems tedious for a nine and a half minute fight.

Well you are very observant except for one little thing,  This bam is around lvl20ish and is the 2nd bam you will encounter at that lvl.  Ofcourse it will be slow at showing its tells, and the game does have interrups on mobs.  imo the mob ai is the best of any game out on the market to date (speaking from a player that has a max character in the game).

Tedious ?  sorry this an't wow ,tor, or rift.  If you want casual easy mode go play those games.   This video showed off a mob that normaly takes a party of 5 to take down,  having only 2 players at that level is quite good.   But I guess you can't understand the meaning of a challenging game.

~sorry for the rant but misinformed noobs put me on edge~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by YouNube

10 minutes to fight 1 elite, that does the same thing over and over and over and over again? 

So sad that i was actually looking forward to this game :(

To bad it not an elite...try something a little higher than that....

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Some time ago, I was waiting TERA with great excitement... now I could only see the background mobs in the video, and how they lack any sort of patrolling AI... they just stand there on the map.

This is not something I consider immersive :(

Yes, so it does usually take 5 people to take down, does this change the fact, that it still does the same thing even for 4 minutes instead of 9? 

The point is, that no matter how shiny it looks, the concept is the same. You go to it, even if you dont have to TAB-TARGET it, you still use 1-5 skills and just dodge the mobs attacks. So what is so awesome about it ?

I played vindictus and DCUO for a really long time, so im allowed to say, this combat style is fun, but the fun doesnt last long enough. But its also limiting. Being able to hit only 1 target, no matter what skill combos you have to use, lowers the skill cap.  Just to give an example - if you for example play some CC class, you NEED to be able to target different people, or as a healer you also need to be able to target different people. Being able to do a couple of things at one time is what makes you a good and skilled player. And that differs the good players from the really good players. No matter MMORPG, MOBA, RTS or w/e. Where if you have just a crosshair, most of the time you will be doing whatever is that  to only 1 target at a time.

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Some time ago, I was waiting TERA with great excitement... now I could only see the background mobs in the video, and how they lack any sort of patrolling AI... they just stand there on the map.

This is not something I consider immersive :(

Are you serious ?  must I help you out.  ~sigh~   http://www.twitch.tv/goditer

Yes, so it does usually take 5 people to take down, does this change the fact, that it still does the same thing even for 4 minutes instead of 9? 

The point is, that no matter how shiny it looks, the concept is the same. You go to it, even if you dont have to TAB-TARGET it, you still use 1-5 skills and just dodge the mobs attacks. So what is so awesome about it ?

I played vindictus and DCUO for a really long time, so im allowed to say, this combat style is fun, but the fun doesnt last long enough. But its also limiting. Being able to hit only 1 target, no matter what skill combos you have to use, lowers the skill cap.  Just to give an example - if you for example play some CC class, you NEED to be able to target different people, or as a healer you also need to be able to target different people. Being able to do a couple of things at one time is what makes you a good and skilled player. And that differs the good players from the really good players. No matter MMORPG, MOBA, RTS or w/e. Where if you have just a crosshair, most of the time you will be doing whatever is that  to only 1 target at a time.

Wow ur such an expert.

Originally posted by stayontarget

Wow ur such an expert.

Thank you for your answer. Point taken - just a trolling fanboi :)

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

TERA does have AOE abilities so I don't get why you are saying that you can't attack multiple enemies at once.

Not talking about AoE, im talking about 1v1, or even group PvP like 3v3, 5v5 etc. Imagine some big scale open world pvp, how would it look like in TERA ? So everyone kills 1 target at a time ? Or the AoE abilites will be OP and killing everyone who stands in them ?

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Not talking about AoE, im talking about 1v1, or even group PvP like 3v3, 5v5 etc. Imagine some big scale open world pvp, how would it look like in TERA ? So everyone kills 1 target at a time ? Or the AoE abilites will be OP and killing everyone who stands in them ?

I think I finally understand what you mean.

You mean that in combat in DCUO you automaticaly go to the nearest target when you attack right? So it's auto-target.

The difference here is that in TERA you aim so you can hit or heal whoever you want.

EDIT: For more info on the combat look here http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/gameplay

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Mannish

I am also really hoping the lawsuit does not stop the release. Other then ArcheAge this is it for me.

Yep, same for me. Possibly GW 2 as well but I have my doubts that it will be yet another linear themepark.

• GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Its actually pretty freakin' awesome. Ive seem a few 10 vs 10 pvp, its pretty neat stuff. The pvp I saw was fairly low level so the amount of skills were limited. I hear the pvp only really gets interesting around level 40, but thats around when you are getting into the glyph system and getting really good enchancement crystals.