Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player - Any Tips?

StormakovStormakov Brooklin, ONPosts: 200Member Uncommon

So after completely destroying SWToR and everything it has to offer currently in roughly 40 days, I decided I needed to pick up an older game with more content, higher difficulty and something that I'm not going to "complete" in a month or two.

Vanguard having slipped my grasp over the years simply because of all the bad press it got on release is now in my sights and I've decided to give it a whirl. 

I'll be playing a Gnome Necro ( a tribute throw back to my vanilla pre-Kunark EQ1 character, the first MMO and character I ever played <3) so that portion of my decision making is already done. That being said I'm curious as to what help any veterans (or knowledgable forum goers) have to give a Vanguard "newb". Starting from scratch are there any tricks/tips to help me flesh out a good character in terms of gear/money/etcetcetc?

In terms of leveling speed is the questing faster or is grinding mob after mob faster if its possible? Also; crafting/diplomacy... is it worth getting my hands dirty with this on my first character (IE: will it pay off in the short term, personally?) or would it be better to leave it alone for now and just grab stuff off the already established crafters?

The low population of the game doesn't really phase me as I always find ways to make my gameplay interesting (hell I solo grinded my eq1 gnome necro to max level and enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure that game was more difficult then this one) but being a largely group focused game am I going to miss out on a lot of content if I cannot find a group? IE: Is there still stuff to do as a solo at max level?

Also; if I con my friend into joining with me what would you suggest a good complementing duo class would be for a necro? Perhaps a healer/buffer?

Any help/tricks/tips/info/advice/etc is much appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

 

 

 

Comments

  • najob75najob75 ZagrebPosts: 40Member Uncommon

    Im new to the game, so little advice here :)

    Diplo is something that made me say WHOOAA (once i got it).

     

    Anyway, helo and welcome :)

  • Ribas363Ribas363 Saint Clair Shores, MIPosts: 33Member

    Personally, I waited until I was a little worn out on the adventuring sphere to delve into diplomacy and crafting.  Both of them take some time to figure out although you can always read up on the guides to get a handle on them quicker.

    Quests are faster to gain experience but the "grind" in Vanguard is much more than the typical process.  I hated the grind in many games but in Vanguard I truly enjoyed the journey to level cap.  You can venture into solo dungeons or farm named for gear and gain xp in the process also if you feel so inclined.

    As for grouping up with a class I cannot help you really.  I ran primarily solo back on the PvP server until the servers merged and then finished off the remaining 10 levels while in the guild Twighlyte Song.

    Jumping into the spheres on the side from adventuring I slowly began to really enjoy them also and have invested quite some time into diplo, some of the rewards, imo, are well worth it.  

    Crafting is complex and takes some work to make high quality gear but it is a fun mini-game in itself.  I have even spent the time/money to get my harvesting skills up.  

    I would suggest looking up Twighlyte Song in the game, the guild is very friendly and has on average 10+ online around the clock.

  • HluillHluill Lovingston, VAPosts: 113Member Uncommon

    Welcome to Vanguard!

    Start on the Newbie Isle and do ALL the quests in all three spheres of play: Crafting and Gathering and Diplomacy.  This will grant you some good gear.  It is the best place to learn this stuff because there's a lot of it readily available.  You may find yourself doing very similar quests three times, once for each sphere, which might extend your stay on the island from a few hours to a few sessions.  The first few times through the Isle is a lot of fun.

    After completing the Isle, find you racial starting area, which can be hard to reach.  There will be some great stories, lore, and quests there.  It will also begin your faction grind, which will be important later.  

    But I can't em[hasize enough about finishing the quest lines for each sphere while on the Isle.  Crafting and Diplomacy quests can be sparse in the big world, especially below level ten.

    Hluill, a barbarian rogue, and his Warrior-daughter, Leyek
    Playing/Subscribing: TSW, LotRO, EQ2, and SWTOR
    Played: GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

    Originally posted by UserNoName

    So after completely destroying SWToR and everything it has to offer currently in roughly 40 days, I decided I needed to pick up an older game with more content, higher difficulty and something that I'm not going to "complete" in a month or two.

    Vanguard having slipped my grasp over the years simply because of all the bad press it got on release is now in my sights and I've decided to give it a whirl. 

    I'll be playing a Gnome Necro ( a tribute throw back to my vanilla pre-Kunark EQ1 character, the first MMO and character I ever played <3) so that portion of my decision making is already done. That being said I'm curious as to what help any veterans (or knowledgable forum goers) have to give a Vanguard "newb". Starting from scratch are there any tricks/tips to help me flesh out a good character in terms of gear/money/etcetcetc?

    In terms of leveling speed is the questing faster or is grinding mob after mob faster if its possible? Also; crafting/diplomacy... is it worth getting my hands dirty with this on my first character (IE: will it pay off in the short term, personally?) or would it be better to leave it alone for now and just grab stuff off the already established crafters?

    The low population of the game doesn't really phase me as I always find ways to make my gameplay interesting (hell I solo grinded my eq1 gnome necro to max level and enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure that game was more difficult then this one) but being a largely group focused game am I going to miss out on a lot of content if I cannot find a group? IE: Is there still stuff to do as a solo at max level?

    Also; if I con my friend into joining with me what would you suggest a good complementing duo class would be for a necro? Perhaps a healer/buffer?

    Any help/tricks/tips/info/advice/etc is much appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

     

     

     

    Hmm, i think you friend should choose a Disciple,you will both a fake death skill and he is a healer but a great melee fighter as well.,with your pet it will be a great duo.

    You need a class that can go toe to toe in tight places because the necro is a kiter and many dungeons in Vanguard are tight and will not allow you to kite your way through.

    If not a disciple then perhaps a Tuurgin Shammy who is also a healer but with a pet,therefore you will both be playing the only two true pet classes in Vanguard.

    The Tuurgin Shammy is a melee type shammy with great buffs and a pet bear that will tank and hold agro.I have 5 claases in Vanguard,all are  level 52-55.

    Welcome to the best PVE mmo around today IMO.

     

    PS..Some skills in Vanguard have to be lerned off certain mobs,i am pretty sure the Necro fake death skill has to be lerned of a mob in Greystone which is a level 39-44 dungeon and will take you days to complete unless you get a group to run you through.

    That's the thing with Vanguard Dungeons,they are like EQ dungeons but vast places that would be raids in games like RIFT -SWTOR and other MMOs.

    I spent a week in Greystone getting my 2h staff for my disciple,obviously i had to leave and do other things but i loved the place.

    Here is the tip for getting you Feign death skill,one at level 20 and the other at later levels which drop of a mob in Greystone.

    Feign Death

    “Rest of the Dead I” (level 20) is an essential ability for all necromancers: it’s their only aggro dump.  This is partially why the necromancer has a higher survivability then the sorcerers or druids.  Rest of the Dead I is a quested ability obtained from Kalendra’s Coven in the northeast corner of Qalia.  It is the same area as part of the Hunter’s League quest line, so the dungeon can be contested by several groups.  The necromancer will need a group to complete the quest as the dungeon is tightly packed with three dot mobs.  The group’s tank should ideally be level 21+.  A VGNecro guide is here.

    Part Two..

    Rest of the Dead II” learnt from “Tome of Rest of the Dead”, which is dropped from the boss mob in Greystone Castle (in Beranid Hills in Thestra)

    You might want to look here.

    http://www.vgnecro.com/

  • allegriaallegria San Francisco, CAPosts: 682Member Common

    Welcome back !

    all the ideas provided above are great. Also, find an active guild... for example Twighlyte Song. Many players at many levels in our guild and always looking for new folks !

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 19,074Member Rare

    Originally posted by allegria

    Welcome back !

    all the ideas provided above are great. Also, find an active guild... for example Twighlyte Song. Many players at many levels in our guild and always looking for new folks !

    Yeah, there were 15 people on at 1 am which was nice to see.

  • darker70darker70 stokePosts: 802Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Sovrath

    Originally posted by allegria

    Welcome back !

    all the ideas provided above are great. Also, find an active guild... for example Twighlyte Song. Many players at many levels in our guild and always looking for new folks !

    Yeah, there were 15 people on at 1 am which was nice to see.

    Yeah i'll be back filling the Twighlyte roster just giveing STO a good run,best tip get a good guild non better than these guys image

    image

  • JudgexJudgex Elmont, NYPosts: 12Member

    I myself have been wanting to give this game a try aswell. I was also an old school EQ player except i was an iksar necro. The low pop is what has kept me away for the most part and i really think this game would benefit from the free to play love SOE is handing out to every other game it has nowadays

  • cyress8cyress8 Croatia, VTPosts: 832Member

    Only tip I can give, lvl up Diplo first. :P I'm doing that on one of my characters. It brung out the insanity residing in the dark crevasse of my mind.

    BOOYAKA!

  • xDayxxDayx St Charles, MOPosts: 712Member

    Tip: After you get off trial island and are at the city you want to earn rep.... for head to the city faction npc and receive a trinket to equip so that you can gain faction coins for that city as you quest around the world.

  • kantseemekantseeme millville, NJPosts: 709Member

    Originally posted by Hluill

    Welcome to Vanguard!

    Start on the Newbie Isle and do ALL the quests in all three spheres of play: Crafting and Gathering and Diplomacy.  This will grant you some good gear.  It is the best place to learn this stuff because there's a lot of it readily available.  You may find yourself doing very similar quests three times, once for each sphere, which might extend your stay on the island from a few hours to a few sessions.  The first few times through the Isle is a lot of fun.

    After completing the Isle, find you racial starting area, which can be hard to reach.  There will be some great stories, lore, and quests there.  It will also begin your faction grind, which will be important later.  

    But I can't em[hasize enough about finishing the quest lines for each sphere while on the Isle.  Crafting and Diplomacy quests can be sparse in the big world, especially below level ten.

    Its fun out there. Doin everything it has to offer took me about 5 days lol. diplo/advent/crafting/ ( hmm i dont even think i finished the crafting lol. Its a great game im just not giving SOE any more money. If it goes F2P then look the fuck out. Ill be back big time.

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

    Originally posted by kantseeme

    Originally posted by Hluill

    Welcome to Vanguard!

    Start on the Newbie Isle and do ALL the quests in all three spheres of play: Crafting and Gathering and Diplomacy.  This will grant you some good gear.  It is the best place to learn this stuff because there's a lot of it readily available.  You may find yourself doing very similar quests three times, once for each sphere, which might extend your stay on the island from a few hours to a few sessions.  The first few times through the Isle is a lot of fun.

    After completing the Isle, find you racial starting area, which can be hard to reach.  There will be some great stories, lore, and quests there.  It will also begin your faction grind, which will be important later.  

    But I can't em[hasize enough about finishing the quest lines for each sphere while on the Isle.  Crafting and Diplomacy quests can be sparse in the big world, especially below level ten.

    Its fun out there. Doin everything it has to offer took me about 5 days lol. diplo/advent/crafting/ ( hmm i dont even think i finished the crafting lol. Its a great game im just not giving SOE any more money. If it goes F2P then look the fuck out. Ill be back big time.

    With the news of EQ1 going FTP i think Vanguards FTP model is just round the corner.My only problem is that they don't dumb down the game,go FTP but keep it as it is.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.