Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Salem's design and graphics turn people off?

BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Most of the people following Salem seem to be bothered by the "cutesy" character designs and overall cartoony look of the game. Personally I can't understand what the devs are thinking; doll-like low-poly models with enormous heads just doesn't fit with a dark Lovecraftian world featuring witchcraft, forest monsters, and permadeath.

So while I'm extremely excited by the promised features, I'm also seriously worried that many people will not even try Salem because of horrible it looks. I will probably play it regardless (and perhaps even get used to the design), but I wonder: is there a real risk that the game loses a lot of potential players due to this?

I know that gameplay is more important than graphics, but that does not mean graphics is not important at all. In today's overcrowded MMO market, a lot of people won't look twice at something they consider ugly. And when it comes to Salem, even players who enjoy sandbox games and innovative features like permadeath are appaled by the ridiculous char models.

What do you think?

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Biskop

Most of the people following Salem seem to be bothered by the "cutesy" character designs and overall cartoony look of the game. Personally I can't understand what the devs are thinking; doll-like low-poly models with enormous heads just doesn't fit with a dark Lovecraftian world featuring witchcraft, forest monsters, and permadeath.

So while I'm extremely excited by the promised features, I'm also seriously worried that many people will not even try Salem because of horrible it looks. I will probably play it regardless (and perhaps even get used to the design), but I wonder: is there a real risk that the game loses a lot of potential players due to this?

I know that gameplay is more important than graphics, but that does not mean graphics is not important at all. In today's overcrowded MMO market, a lot of people won't look twice at something they consider ugly. And when it comes to Salem, even players who enjoy sandbox games and innovative features like permadeath are appaled by the ridiculous char models.

What do you think?

I'm not playing anything with "chibi" characters.

If you have a lovcraftian setting this is even more bullshit. The visual design needs to convey the theme of your game.

If Dark Souls would keep its unforgiving hardcore mechanics but present itself with magical glowy chibi fairies instead of dark western gothic, you can bet your ass nobody would consider it GOTY.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Salem is a ultra small development team that have made a game before whit the exsact same game rules before.  they aim at a niche market, they dont aim at the Casual/general market (ofc they would welcome anyone)  the gfx  aint -that-bad  , runescape looked worce for years then it does now and it became a smahing hit in the browser scene (partly due being of of the first)  there are  browser based games and client based games that  in looks are plain ugly but still succeed whit some moderate succes.

It will have its following, if they succeed better this time then H&E ,/shrug dont know,  time will tell , in a industrie whit millions of customers theres always a fair chance for niche games.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I will deffinitly play Salem and as a long time HnH player Im pretty sure I will love it, but yeah.. The graphics are retarded.

Even building the game with HnH 2D graphics looks WAY better.

Random HnH Image:

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Of course it will turn people off. You can't please everyone. It will, however, turn other people on (so to speak).

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• golabgolab Member UncommonPosts: 21

There is no way I can take a game with characters that look like bobble head dolls seriously. It's not a matter of graphics over gameplay either, they just look DUMB. If the models were shaped like that with the latest greatest 3d software running on the best graphics engine available, they would STILL look dumb.

Unless they change the models I won't even give it a chance, even if the gameplay is the deepest, most interesting and fun thing anyone has ever made.

"As a foulness ya shall know them."

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I don't care for the art system at all, but I like the gameplay of H&H and if they are able to expand upon that I will be happy to give this title a go.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

I was moderately interested in the game uptill I saw those recent screens. I find it very hard to take seriously, and just as I have a hard time playing any heavily eastern themed graphic style game I imagine ill also struggle to take it Salem seriously aswell.

Its just not for me and I also dont feel it fits the theme either, unless ive grossly misjudged what the theme was supposed to be. They could easily have done heavily stylised yet simple graphics and kept the dark feel, and not went down some bizzare cutesy path like they appear to have.

r.i.p. c!

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'll say the artstyle turns me off completely, i think it looks quite horrible and early screenshots looked like freaking animal crossing.. Its a little better now but not much

I'll simply be playing Salem just because haven & hearth was amazing and i expect this to be too, graphics dont make the game for me.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

just cant take this kinda graphics in anyways seriously. yeayeah its nice to retro retro but as desktop nah give me a break.

maybe with cellphone extremely bored this would work but comon.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

YES.

I completely stopped being interested in this game as soon as I saw those ridicilous heads.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Beegs

I was moderately interested in the game uptill I saw those recent screens. I find it very hard to take seriously, and just as I have a hard time playing any heavily eastern themed graphic style game I imagine ill also struggle to take it Salem seriously aswell.

Its just not for me and I also dont feel it fits the theme either, unless ive grossly misjudged what the theme was supposed to be. They could easily have done heavily stylised yet simple graphics and kept the dark feel, and not went down some bizzare cutesy path like they appear to have.

This is sort of my point. Simple graphics is not the same as retarded design.

Also, I don't understand their strategy here; the design looks like it is supposed to attract a Hello Kitty/Farmville audience of 12-year old girls (also, the game focus is very much crafting and town building, etc), yet at the same time it sports open PvP and permadeath, in a gothic horror setting.

It feels oddly schizophrenic. Why not just go for a darker and more mature look and be done with it?

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Beegs

This is sort of my point. Simple graphics is not the same as retarded design.

Also, I don't understand their strategy here; the design looks like it is supposed to attract a Hello Kitty/Farmville audience of 12-year old girls (also, the game focus is very much crafting and town building, etc), yet at the same time it sports open PvP and permadeath, in a gothic horror setting.

It feels oddly schizophrenic. Why not just go for a darker and more mature look and be done with it?

Its a shame really. I do very much like the sound of the setting and think so much could be done with it, as it was the world theme that caught my interest more than the pvp/crafting/sandbox elements.

As you say theres a duality there that just dosent seem to mesh very well, with the odd graphic style choice seemingly at the core.

r.i.p. c!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1u_po8mYzI 

the guy is camera shy but he give some info !i think this game could do good since it looks like it doesnt take a monster computer to run

personnally i like the night they give the player it looks night

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It would be fine for some games, and some settings, but not this one. I mean, really? Permadeath in colonial New England? Monsters, dark magics. With giant chibi heads. Really?!

It is a ridiculous choice and I am at a loss to understand why they made that decision. I will probably still try it out, but it is a bit off-putting, to be sure.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

It sounds like an almost-perfect game for me, aside from the open pvp, permadeath, and yes, the STUPID HEADS! :/

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I don't mind simple graphics, but i mind simple design. Therefore i'll pass on this one.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

It's not entirely "open" pvp. In H&H you have to earn the right to kill other players and is very costly. Then there is the "scents" that can let players track criminals. It is the best system I've seen for detering random PK.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

"doll-like low-poly models with enormous heads just doesn't fit with a dark Lovecraftian world featuring witchcraft, forest monsters, and permadeath."

Couldn't agree more. So my answer is YES! I was intrigued enough to check the game out. But after seeing the big headed freaks, I'll pass. You look at the avatar/art for the title and they look really cool. Why are they big headed freaks in game then? I love games the use their own art style, so that's not it either.

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

It's not entirely "open" pvp. In H&H you have to earn the right to kill other players and is very costly. Then there is the "scents" that can let players track criminals. It is the best system I've seen for detering random PK.

Yeah, but still, oPvP and permadeath are in-game and some people with kill other players permanently just because they can, even though Salem will be pretty hard on PKs. I agree the system is great, that's why I (and many other fans of open, innovative games) are interested in the game.

However, this thread is about the stupid design scaring people away - people who otherwise would have enjoyed both the setting and the game mechanics.

I've yet to hear anyone say they actually like the char models. The most positive thing people have to say about them seems to be "I don't mind them that much". That's not a very good sign, in my opinion. After all, if you enjoy a game you don't want to having to force yourself to look at your own character.

I hope the devs wake up and do some changes before it's too late.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Yeah, but still, oPvP and permadeath are in-game and some people with kill other players permanently just because they can, even though Salem will be pretty hard on PKs. I agree the system is great, that's why I (and many other fans of open, innovative games) are interested in the game.
    However, this thread is about the stupid design scaring people away - people who otherwise would have enjoyed both the setting and the game mechanics.
    I've yet to hear anyone say they actually like the char models. The most positive thing people have to say about them seems to be "I don't mind them that much". That's not a very good sign, in my opinion. After all, if you enjoy a game you don't want to having to force yourself to look at your own character.
    I hope the devs wake up and do some changes before it's too late.

I like the character models. They are unique and acknowledge the silliness of trying to make something that looks realistic in a medium where looking realistic is impossible.

** edit **
    It should have been obvious from H&H's design, but the developer is making a game that they want to make, that they know a certain number of people want to play. It's a very respectable way to go about making a game. I like this too. It acknowledges the silliness of trying to make something for everyone, when that is impossible.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

yes it will.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its turned me off a bit, i really done get how a game with such serious game mechanics can have such catroony grahics..

Mechanics wise its basically what most sandbox fans have been looking for btu graphically its meh..

I am a bit of a graphics nut myself and I believe in the year 2012 even indie companeis should be able to make good looking games, i know some of you will say thats just the style they went for.. but i think it was a bad choice..

Im sure ill give the game a go but i dont think it will hold me for long unless the gameplay is blood amazing..

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Originally posted by stayontarget

yes it will.

Well it's not turning us on like tera so i guess if you need a break from a wet sheet adventure and your not a molester then this is the game for you ?

Originally posted by lizardbones

I like the character models. They are unique and acknowledge the silliness of trying to make something that looks realistic in a medium where looking realistic is impossible.

** edit **

It should have been obvious from H&H's design, but the developer is making a game that they want to make, that they know a certain number of people want to play. It's a very respectable way to go about making a game. I like this too. It acknowledges the silliness of trying to make something for everyone, when that is impossible.

While I respect your philosophical grounds for liking the models, I don't see how a company would want a significally smaller amount of players than they would have if the just changed some of their char designs.

Of course Salem will not be for everyone, permadeath alone is enough to alienate 95% of the MMO gamers. So why alienate 4% more, just because you made models that look like baby dolls?

Salem will be niche enough as it is, they should at least try to attract the sandbox gamers who like the setting and mechanics but prefer their characters to at least look remotely realistic. Because despite what you seem to think, it is possible to make more realistic models than this.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

My main request for the game is they keep the colors darker. I can handle doll like player models. I can handle silly concepts within a more morbid atmosphere, but bright colors too just throws it for me. I could give a crap about graphic style as long as they pull off what was talked about game play wise. On the same note I don't want to play in a game world that looks like it was colored by Disney if it's lore is based in a more dark mindset.

Opinion toward graphic choice. Aside from their past game being in close to the same style. I think this type of graphics leaves them more time to work on mechanics over flash. I agree they could have gone realistic or whatever comes close to that in a game sense, but it would take time away from other details. The other concept might be that they chose this graphic style because of the seriousness of some of their concepts witch burning and such. I understand that many of you want as real as it can get in a mature game, but not everyone always wants to visualize over and over a seriously detailed version of people burning at the stake or cannibalism among many other gruesome ideas. Personally I'm not bothered I was just saying there are some among player groups that don't find that appealing at all in a more realistic sense. Games are meant to be fun and some times light hearted even in darker concepts. They are running a tough gauntlet between the two. I will wait and see what they achieve.

I do have one question I have read over and over now that this game has Lovecraftian overtones about it. Did the creators announce this or make that statement? If so could someone point me to that conversation please. I would like to read it. Maybe I bypassed it cause all I got it was based more on old folklore and the superstition which was steeped in over hyped ideas of evil and witchery. 

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."