Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

26% are currently not subscribed

2»

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Every time...and its not often I regret buying a game and subscribing. I really would like to have a game I can get sucked into....the last that really got me was DAOC on on off for over 6 years.Lately I screwed up and bought SWTOR. Cancelled before I paid the subscription.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Out of 46k voters 26% of voters are currently not subscribed to an mmo.

Burnt out on themepark or other?

Burnt out. Hasn't been a damn thing worth playing (IMO of course) for a few years now. It's all the same game repackaged in different wrapper's.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm subbed to 2 games, DAoC and Rift (both have been up and subbed since launch).  I play Rift of pve and DAoC for PvP.  There really isn't another game that has interested me to drop either of these to go play them.  I played my free month of SWTOR, got to 50 and went to sleep lol.  I generally always have 2 MMOs I'm subbed to, I can't keep on one thing for more than a couple of hours, unless I'm with friends doing raid or something.  Rift probably holds the record for me playing non-stop at ~78 hours when it launched.  DAoC is second way back when they launched new frontiers at like 40 hours straight.  I rarely spend more than a couple hours now days playing any single game.

I also have several F2P and B2P games I like to play that don't require subs.  GW, BF3, Skyrim, Sims 3 (I know I'm a wierdo, right?), Assassin's Creed Revelations,  NFS the run....

Edit: If you haven't tried it, playing two games at the same time can be pretty fun.  I set up my BD on DAoC to farm seals and stuff on one monitor, and play Rift on the other :)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Doesn't matter if it's 46k or 46 mill voters it's still 26% of overall voters. What concerns me is the simple fact of so many subscription based AAA titles out there to choose from yet 26% voters here on mmorpg.com forums are not playing any of them.

Are people waiting?

Waiting for what?

Another Themepark?

A good Sandbox?

Or simply sick of mmorp's?

If there sick of mmo's then why would they be on the forums?

What it all looks like to me is there's going to be a huge change in direction of developers (it's already started) in the next few years and what direction do you see them heading?

Why is "playing a F2P MMO" not a plausible option to you?

Probably because most people that play a F2P MMO end up spending money on it at some point, that is how they stay around so long after all.  So in essense, though you are not officially subscribed, you are still paying.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Yes the poll is on this site, go to polls sub forum and you should find it. The poll asks how many subs do you currently have?Out of 46k voters 26% are not currently subbed to any game. That is a huge percentage of gamers either tired of themepark or playing f2p games.With so many subscription based options out there and 26% voters electing not to play any of them is huge!
    OMG! From 08/21/2002! That's pre-WoW!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by precious328

I'm very burnt out on Theme Park.

The AAA MMOs of today are no different than buying CoD MW1, MW2, MW3...      It's all the same steak with different seasoning.

I also relate it to buying CoD MW1/2/etc because I keep buying every new one hoping the next one won't be total shit.

I stopped giving IW (or whoever makes CoD these days) my money before black ops.  I'm about to stop giving my money to MMO companies too.  Too much of the young talent in the MMO industry grew up with WoW and can't fathom an MMO that isn't the same themepark cookie-cutter.  They should force these guys to play some 'legacy' MMOs for a year or so before they let them develop this garbage they keep spewing out.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Currently waiting for 1 of the anticipated mmo's to launch. (GW2, Archeage, Tera, Secret World, Firefall, Blade and Soul, ect...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Sanisar

Originally posted by precious328

I'm very burnt out on Theme Park.

The AAA MMOs of today are no different than buying CoD MW1, MW2, MW3...      It's all the same steak with different seasoning.

I also relate it to buying CoD MW1/2/etc because I keep buying every new one hoping the next one won't be total shit.

I stopped giving IW (or whoever makes CoD these days) my money before black ops.  I'm about to stop giving my money to MMO companies too.  Too much of the young talent in the MMO industry grew up with WoW and can't fathom an MMO that isn't the same themepark cookie-cutter.  They should force these guys to play some 'legacy' MMOs for a year or so before they let them develop this garbage they keep spewing out.

You are assuming that the people "creating" the game are in fact making the game they want to make instead of making the game that will actually get investor support and therefore actually get created.  Simple fact is that very few people (investors) are willing to take the risk on something that has not been tested before in the market and proven to work.  For example, sit yourself down and really ask yourself, what is making more money, sandboxes or themeparks?  If you are honest, you will admit that but a horrendously large margin it is the themeparks.  So from an investors perspective, investing in a sandbox is a risk.  Are there good sandbox games out there?  Absolutely.  Unfortunately, the themeparks tend to NOT be like a second job and force you to play for 20+ hours per week to feel like you are accomplishing something.  Therefore more people play them instead of sandboxes.  Also, since so many people play them, it is a proven revenue source and more likely to earn a profit.  Hence, the tried and true gets made and the "completely innovative, totally new" games get shelved.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Two reasons I'm currently unsubscribed to any MMOs:

1. None that I have tried recently encourage grouping or socializing (until some form of gear-grind raid-or-die endgame which I don't enjoy). I don't play this genre to solo- there are far, far higher quality games to do that in.

2. What is offered in current P2P themeparks that I do enjoy (the leveling experience) I can also do in F2P games without spending any money- so it would be stupid to pay for the same experience I can get for free.

I'm not against paying a subscription fee, but if I'm going to not only pay for the client but a fee as well then it damned well better have elements that I think are worth paying for (interaction with real people, high quality non-combat activities, and preferably real GM events- although I'm not holding my breath for any of them). It's quite possible that I will never find a P2P that meets my desires but I won't stop looking. I just won't throw money at games I don't like.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

My suscipion is that most of the people who post here do not play MMOs except under the most casual of definitions.  Rather they simply pretend to play MMOs.  They hype up games in their minds and then on the forums until they actually play them.  Once playing their game they quickly find out they don't have the patience or attention span to play a MMO so they bash the game they loved and move on to hyping another game. They are good for box sales and they help fund games so people can play them.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

That and 46k is a fairly low medium. Hell, I'm not subscribed atm to anything, but I didn't vote in that poll. Additionally, most of my 50+ member clan isn't subscribed to anything. a good quarter of them WERE subbed to SWTOR prior to the free month going poof. Now, we're all looking towards Sauropod Studios to release an alpha sometime in the next month so we have something to do until Planetside 2 :)!

Doesn't matter if it's 46k or 46 mill voters it's still 26% of overall voters. What concerns me is the simple fact of so many subscription based AAA titles out there to choose from yet 26% voters here on mmorpg.com forums are not playing any of them.

Are people waiting?

Waiting for what?

Another Themepark?

A good Sandbox?

Or simply sick of mmorp's?

If there sick of mmo's then why would they be on the forums?

What it all looks like to me is there's going to be a huge change in direction of developers (it's already started) in the next few years and what direction do you see them heading?

To be fair, this community has a very large number of ex-mmo players, who may still consider themselves "fans" but really are nothing more than burnt out players. I do not think it possible to create an MMO to satisfy these people.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Yes the poll is on this site, go to polls sub forum and you should find it. The poll asks how many subs do you currently have?Out of 46k voters 26% are not currently subbed to any game. That is a huge percentage of gamers either tired of themepark or playing f2p games.With so many subscription based options out there and 26% voters electing not to play any of them is huge!

LOL pointless thread. It's like polling how many people own a car, starting in 1940 - 2012.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I think another poll says 50% of people don't like subscription model.  23% like f2p, 27% like hydrid.  There's no B2P option so that got left out.  Maybe people just play f2p games.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by nyxium

I feel subscription based business models are dying out in these austere times, whether people want to sub or not they are being cautious or simply don't have enough cash to spare. I can relate.

Id happily pay 15-20 a month sub for a game worth while. But there hasnt been anything made that i like. Id rather play a console rpg than pay 15/month to a game company to play one. Thats what all these games feel like, console rpgs made for pc's. .50 cents a day for unlimited content, you can not beat that. But all the games look, feel, play, and are the same just with different skins.

MMO's need to go back to the older style of mmo's because the new age stuff just sucks.

Archeage, have you seen the features and vids? The Repopulation, have you seen the features? Why are no mmo's from major companies made like this? Im waiting for AA, that will be something worth a sub. These kiddy console rpg called mmo's are destroying peoples love for mmo's. Sure you can debate that, but see a lot more disappointment posts about the past few major releases than i have seen good.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The subscription model is on it's way out. It will take an exceptionally good game to tempt me to take out a long term subscription again. Rift and SWTOR weren't it.

I'll be buying The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 later this year to see if they're any better but until then , i'll be playing LotRO, for which I have a lifetime subscription or GW, which doesn't need a sub.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, I play some Guildwars to get my fix but no P2P MMO that is out right now excite me enough to play it.

But themepark isn´t really the problem, just that they are too similar and I played MMOs so many years. I just want something that doesn´t feel like I played it for years already.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

a lot of people dont have time. I would play TOR if I had the time. That is why i have been a guild wars player for 6-7 years!

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Way to start a thread with a 10 year old poll FFS. /Thread 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

That number is quite skewed on this forum.

If you look at research (which has been posted multiple times, so google it yourself) shows that MOST MMO RPG players DO NOT PAY. Thus, most are playing F2P MMOs.