Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Wars TOR - shut's off Servers on a FRIDAY NIGHT! Many Canceled Subs sure to follow.

2»

Comments

  • stamps79stamps79 Bay Area, CAPosts: 233Member

    WOW had worse server hiccups then this and I still played WOW for 5 1/2 years.

    They would have a huge patch day and guess what throughout the whole week I would see myself and guild mates bumped for hours on hours, sometimes almost full days. Even there patch day would sometimes take all day.

     

    S@it happens and as long as they can get things back up and running that's all that matters.

     

    Even though I didn't play Friday night, I have never had an issue logging in or having the game ever give me problems, so far in my book they done a lot of things right.  No company is perfect, and if you expect them to be, than MMO's would never be made.

    Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

    Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

    Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

    Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

  • Logos1326Logos1326 Houston, TXPosts: 237Member

    Originally posted by waynejr2

    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

    If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.  I've played most major MMOs since... I'm not going to say.  However, they all did out of cycle patches, particularly when they were relatively new, in order to get hot fixes in the system.

     

    Nothing new here.  It's a good thing, because they are addressing core problems in a timely manner.  If they didn't do it now, these same people would probably complain that they waited to fix something that they needed to finish some quest or was causing some issue that needed to be fixed.

     

    People need to stop crying wolf.

    I agree.  It's very childish.

    /agreed.. If you can't handle outages, bugs, etc. do not sub to any new game that has been out less than 6-12 months. It's unfortunately the nature of the business to release games before they are ready so devs can spend a year 'live testing' and keep their investor bosses happy with $$$.

     

     

    image
  • LIOKILIOKI Igloo, ABPosts: 175Member

    I think maybe it's more of bioware getting on peoples last nerve then one single incident. If the only thing wrong was a single server downtime on friday night nobody would have said much. But we all know this just isn't the case and most players are getting fed up with the game and things like this just keep compounding the aggrevation.

    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

  • ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,230Member Uncommon
    servers are up, aint they? ^^

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 2,202Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by waynejr2

    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

    If someone drops a sub because they need to patch the system on a Friday, then they are obviously 6 years old or younger.  I've played most major MMOs since... I'm not going to say.  However, they all did out of cycle patches, particularly when they were relatively new, in order to get hot fixes in the system.

     

    Nothing new here.  It's a good thing, because they are addressing core problems in a timely manner.  If they didn't do it now, these same people would probably complain that they waited to fix something that they needed to finish some quest or was causing some issue that needed to be fixed.

     

    People need to stop crying wolf.

    I agree.  It's very childish.

    Not at all. It is completely un aceptable to some EU players. We lost a good 4 days play time (nearer 5) in the first month. Their first major maintenance was 8 hours on a public holiday! It is completely un aceptable for a large multi national company to offer such lousey service. They built a new EU facility in Ireland staffed it with 100+ people and apprently it is still beyond them running a seperate EU maintenance schedule.

    Still I guess I am not who you are talking about as I canceled already (so not crying wolf). I simply could not accept their absolute disregard  for a large portion of their customer base, it borders on contempt.

    The key thing here though is for them to maximise their revenue they need to maximise the availability of their service to as many paying subscribers as possible. If I was a shareholder I would really be furious.

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,896Member Uncommon

    If it couldn't wait, it was probably important.


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by zWolf

    Yup, I couldn't Belive that the Old Republic Shut the servers down on a Friday night... but not for a quick 'off and back on' server reset, oh no! This is the full 'Tuesday type' down for 6 hours off all night, thing.  Seriously!! Can BioWare really be that stupid!!!!! 

     

    I guess it can.  

    Now, they have thousands of former fans of the game, that have plotted all week, and wheedled time out of Wife, for some friday night play time with gamer friends. These fans of the game, are suddenly out on their ears, with nothing to do with their Cafeine filled heads, and un-able to fulfill weekend plans with gamer friends, what should they do to show their displeasure?

    Why Cancel their subscription of course!  

    no real loss, on the fan's side, they get to keep playing durring the time that they paid for, and if BioWare wins them back, then they can re-subscribe at any time, but in the mean time, the fan base can send quite the message by pulling their 'pleged' financial support by un-subscribing.

     

    if BioWare looses several thousand sub's over this 'friday night patch' you can bet that they might try just a bit harder to do their maintenance patches on Tuesday, the way they SAID that they would next time.

    anyway, here is my 'cancellation' details that I posted when I cancelled my sub.  Feel free to cut n paste it for yours - and may the force be with you!

     

    --- 

     


    You PLANNED a server maintenance on a Freaking WEEKEND!!!


     


    Seriously?  that is like the most un-professional thing that an MMORPG could possibly do! 


     


    WAY wrong guys, WAY wrong.  I have been planning on playing with friends all week, and you kill the game VOLUNTARILY on a Friday night? 


     


    If the server goes down on a weekend, it should be due to some catastrophic event, Earth Quake, T'sunami, or Zombie Appocalyse, not because you want to install a patch!!! 


     


    I'm so frustrated.  I figure the best way to show my frustration is to pull my funding for a bit.


     


    Next time you want to shut down the servers on a weekend. PLEASE just pick another day! what happened to Tuesdays?  Can't you hit your scheduled maintenance days? 


     


    I don't want to play a game in this state, maybe once you have ironed out the kinks that make you drop service on a prime playing time, I'll come back.


     


    Till then, have fun re-setting servers on a weekend!


     


    once upon a time, 


     


    Jedi zWolf.


    ---

     Do you really believe that? LoL

    By the very nature of your post your not gonna cancil. Your upset because you really wanted to play but couldn't because the developers took the servers down to OMG fix something!

    Had the bug hit you while you were playing you would have been here anyway complaining about how the game was buggy and the devs should be shot for not fixing it in a timely fashion.

      Sw:tor is not perfect, Bioware / EA aren't perfect. Life is not perfect. Thanks for the drama time to move on...

  • CavodCavod Brookfield, WIPosts: 295Member

    Originally posted by Kaelano1

    Originally posted by TheDubanat0r

    WHAAAA WHAAA WHAAAA. Thats all i ever see. The game is terrible Whaaaa. They took servers down to adress problems people complain about Whaaaaa.  Since when did the mmo community become such baby's. Maybe it's always been this way and i never knew b/c i was having to much fun playing the game.  Yesterday a group of us lvl 12-20' s took down the World Boss SD-0. and it was awesome! The game will only get better and if they have to take down the servers in the middle of the night to do it then great. They could of taken them down midafternoon on saturday instead.  Stop your crying cancel if your going to. Your prolly the same guy who rage quits pvp.

    I agree with this whole-heartedly. Some of you people can't be pleased with anything. Starting to get tired of even looking at these forums for all the ragging and bitchiness. If you don't like it, get lost and shut up. Thanks.

    My thoughts exactly.  Heck, this isn't even my first account, I deleted that one years and years ago because I got sick of it... glad to see it stayed classy around here. (dunno how I got roped back into it)





    I can't even begin to ponder the notion of subs being canceled for maintenance.  I have yet to experience a MMO that, at one point or another, goes down right when I least want it to go down.  Not once have I thought about canceling my sub because of that.  I can't fathom the thought process(or lack there of) behind those that would.

     

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, all new/major MMOs need an 'anti' forum for everyone to complain and lament together so that the fine folks trying to enjoy said game can, you know, actually have general discussions instead of constant wastes of time.

    We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

  • DarthMajinDarthMajin Sparta, WIPosts: 92Member

    Originally posted by zWolf

    Yup, I couldn't Belive that the Old Republic Shut the servers down on a Friday night... but not for a quick 'off and back on' server reset, oh no! This is the full 'Tuesday type' down for 6 hours off all night, thing.  Seriously!! Can BioWare really be that stupid!!!!! 

     

    I guess it can.  

    Now, they have thousands of former fans of the game, that have plotted all week, and wheedled time out of Wife, for some friday night play time with gamer friends. These fans of the game, are suddenly out on their ears, with nothing to do with their Cafeine filled heads, and un-able to fulfill weekend plans with gamer friends, what should they do to show their displeasure?

    Why Cancel their subscription of course!  

    no real loss, on the fan's side, they get to keep playing durring the time that they paid for, and if BioWare wins them back, then they can re-subscribe at any time, but in the mean time, the fan base can send quite the message by pulling their 'pleged' financial support by un-subscribing.

     

    if BioWare looses several thousand sub's over this 'friday night patch' you can bet that they might try just a bit harder to do their maintenance patches on Tuesday, the way they SAID that they would next time.

    anyway, here is my 'cancellation' details that I posted when I cancelled my sub.  Feel free to cut n paste it for yours - and may the force be with you!

     

    --- 

     


    You PLANNED a server maintenance on a Freaking WEEKEND!!!


     


    Seriously?  that is like the most un-professional thing that an MMORPG could possibly do! 


     


    WAY wrong guys, WAY wrong.  I have been planning on playing with friends all week, and you kill the game VOLUNTARILY on a Friday night? 


     


    If the server goes down on a weekend, it should be due to some catastrophic event, Earth Quake, T'sunami, or Zombie Appocalyse, not because you want to install a patch!!! 


     


    I'm so frustrated.  I figure the best way to show my frustration is to pull my funding for a bit.


     


    Next time you want to shut down the servers on a weekend. PLEASE just pick another day! what happened to Tuesdays?  Can't you hit your scheduled maintenance days? 


     


    I don't want to play a game in this state, maybe once you have ironed out the kinks that make you drop service on a prime playing time, I'll come back.


     


    Till then, have fun re-setting servers on a weekend!


     


    once upon a time, 


     


    Jedi zWolf.


    ---

    This is why children should not be allowed to play MMOs. It's one night of downtime man, just deal with it. Almost every other game I have played has had NIGHTLY downtime. Stop whining and go sneak your daddy's playboy til the downtime is over.

    image

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by LIOKI

    I think maybe it's more of bioware getting on peoples last nerve then one single incident. If the only thing wrong was a single server downtime on friday night nobody would have said much. But we all know this just isn't the case and most players are getting fed up with the game and things like this just keep compounding the aggrevation.

      Please do explain, what other things getting on peoples nerves... Perhaps bugs that need to be fixed?

    Damned if you do...

  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Boring, TXPosts: 1,171Member Uncommon

    Really now?

    These topics are just getting absurd.

  • LIOKILIOKI Igloo, ABPosts: 175Member

    Originally posted by winter

    Originally posted by LIOKI

    I think maybe it's more of bioware getting on peoples last nerve then one single incident. If the only thing wrong was a single server downtime on friday night nobody would have said much. But we all know this just isn't the case and most players are getting fed up with the game and things like this just keep compounding the aggrevation.

      Please do explain, what other things getting on peoples nerves... Perhaps bugs that need to be fixed?

    Damned if you do...

    The problems with this mmo are listed in an over-the-top amount of threads already. I don't want to hate on it, I was really hoping for a great product and wanted to like the game badly. Just wasn't the case however.

    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

  • LeetheLeethe WarringtonPosts: 889Member Uncommon

    Sorry OP these threads are getting ridiculous. Massive4 bug! Server downtime to fix bug!!!!OHHHH NOOOOO!!! Gay love in game!!!!! PvP broke, PvP fixed! MORE SERVER DOWNTIME!!!!!!

    I will seriously pay money to anyone who can come up with an original topic about this game. No one care about downtime on a friday night. Why should I? I was at the pub. If it was Saturdau folks would complain and if it was sunday night folks would complain and if they left it 'till monday : "Bioware is Fail!!!" they left a gamebreaking bug in all weekend!!!!! 

    All the complainers have lost all credibility despite the fact that I may agree some of them. It's just gotten to hard to tell the haters from tthe genuine so sod 'em all. They're all a bunch of whiners.

    There is NO miracle patch.

    95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

    Hope is not a stategy.
    ______________________________
    "This kind of topic is like one of those little cartoon boxes held up by a stick on a string, with a piece of meat under it. In other words, bait."

  • StormsoneStormsone Posts: 42Member Uncommon

    Oh yes op is right I canceled my account when servers went down!....not ....well I don't have an account to start with lol. But no one stops playing a game because its server went down for one night unless, they were already thinking of quiting.

  • kujiikujii san antonio, TXPosts: 190Member

    If you can't handle issues with  mmo's, which are common, I suggest you lock yourself in a closet with your Game Boy, and forget about it. 

  • AutorockAutorock Langley, BCPosts: 48Member

    How dare Bioware try and make a game i'm enjoying better by limiting me from playing it for one night. Those evil bastards, I don't want any bugs fixed ever!

  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member

    Originally posted by Shivam

    If this is how people cancel subs than SWTOR would have left with one server in US and EU by now.

    Stop over reacting and find something to do for 4 hrs. 

    If everyone cancelled their subs for this reason, then EVERY MMO would have zero servers in US or EU by now.  

  • GMan3GMan3 Ewa Beach, HIPosts: 2,127Member

        I live in Hawaii and tend to be a late night person anyways, so this maintenance DID take place during my peak playing hours.  Funny thing is I dod not get into a huff and start pouting or whining.  I just found something else to do like anny mature person should be able to do.  Problem solved.

    "If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

  • eHugeHug HamburgPosts: 224Member

    Originally posted by Autorock

    How dare Bioware try and make a game i'm enjoying better by limiting me from playing it for one night. Those evil bastards, I don't want any bugs fixed ever!

    And why is that not possible outside of prime time? After all that's what the OP complained about.

  • Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon edinburghPosts: 91Member

    memememe thats all you hear on any new game these days. try living in europe when maintenance is in the middle of the day. or try just learning some patience.

  • WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member

    Originally posted by eHug

    Originally posted by Autorock

    How dare Bioware try and make a game i'm enjoying better by limiting me from playing it for one night. Those evil bastards, I don't want any bugs fixed ever!

    And why is that not possible outside of prime time? After all that's what the OP complained about.

    Thank you for making a new account to necro troll an old dead tread. Since it is Tue?

  • ForTheCityForTheCity Los Angeles, CAPosts: 307Member

    Lol but what happens when those big fans play SWTOR again and they love it...leaving them to not cancel subscriptions anymore? I doubt people are going to be cancelling due to this. 

  • MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,716Administrator Uncommon

    Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

2»
This discussion has been closed.