Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Loot Server Petition?

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I've never understood why people think it's such an easy thing to just tack on a special server with one change in the rules. Full loot is a lot more dynamic than you give it credit for. For instance if obtaining certain items is on the insane side of difficulty full loot will just not work. An example would be a weapon or armor set that takes months or the better part of a year to obtain via quests, mobs, and crafting. If there are items like this full loot would suck.

Think about how awful it would be if you spent 4-5 months trying to obtain a weapon or armor set just to have somebody take it from you in an instant without ever having to put in the work. Now if the game does not have things like this and items are relatively easy to obtain then full loot is closer to working.

But, some type of insurance is necessary, which is another game mechanic that needs to be added in for your special server. Chests in our house, safes, guild hall storage, etc. Even with full loot players have to have some way of protecting themselves from loss.

Also, will there be any other special rules this full loot crowd wants? Will they then want the jail system to go away and have free for all PKing? Or will the jail system in AA have some issues with getting back your loot if it's taken illegaly? The question is not as simple as "Can't we just have a separate server?" Like someone else said earlier it has a lot more ramifications than you are giving it credit for and because of that I will not sign your petition. In fact if there is a petition that opposes yours I would be more likely to sign that one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by k11keeper

I've never understood why people think it's such an easy thing to just tack on a special server with one change in the rules. Full loot is a lot more dynamic than you give it credit for. For instance if obtaining certain items is on the insane side of difficulty full loot will just not work. An example would be a weapon or armor set that takes months or the better part of a year to obtain via quests, mobs, and crafting. If there are items like this full loot would suck.

Think about how awful it would be if you spent 4-5 months trying to obtain a weapon or armor set just to have somebody take it from you in an instant without ever having to put in the work. Now if the game does not have things like this and items are relatively easy to obtain then full loot is closer to working.

But, some type of insurance is necessary, which is another game mechanic that needs to be added in for your special server. Chests in our house, safes, guild hall storage, etc. Even with full loot players have to have some way of protecting themselves from loss.

Also, will there be any other special rules this full loot crowd wants? Will they then want the jail system to go away and have free for all PKing? Or will the jail system in AA have some issues with getting back your loot if it's taken illegaly? The question is not as simple as "Can't we just have a separate server?" Like someone else said earlier it has a lot more ramifications than you are giving it credit for and because of that I will not sign your petition. In fact if there is a petition that opposes yours I would be more likely to sign that one.

Very good post and I really agree with the highlighted portions.

I played on DAOC's FFA server and while not full loot they had to make signficant changes to the overall game play to make the model work. 

The problem is, for the few thousand of us who enjoyed it, it was too much work for them to spend a lot of resources modifying the FFA model the way it rightfully should have been, so in the end it became an unsatisfactory situation , for not only the players but the Developers as well I'm sure.

It doesn't matter how big the oveall game audience is for a game, WOW had 12M players, what matters is how many people will stay subbed if an alternate rules model server is offered.  If the answer is just a few thousand players its not cost effective to pursue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

I don't see how it is that hard.

First off... what modern MMO do you know that it takes months to obtain anything?

Secondly it would be a simple fix... everything drops except X number of items you select. Thats doesn't sound like much coding to me.

When you die... everything is on your body drops except for the X number of items you selected... If you don't want to loose all your crap dont carry it around on you all the time unless its "checked"

I would prefer to play on a full loot server... it's more of a thrill. 

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

It doesn't matter how big the oveall game audience is for a game, WOW had 12M players, what matters is how many people will stay subbed if an alternate rules model server is offered.  If the answer is just a few thousand players its not cost effective to pursue.

WoW already has several different "alternate rules" servers.  Roleplaying, PVP, PVE, and Roleplaying PVP servers.

If just 1000 extra people subscribed to ArcheAge because it has a full loot server that's an extra $15,000 USD a month plus initial cost of buying the game.  

Do you really think it would cost more than 15,000 USD to program in some sort of full loot system?  I don't.  

In a purely business standpoint, adding full loot servers would be a good idea for XL Games.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Kyleran

Very good post and I really agree with the highlighted portions.

I played on DAOC's FFA server and while not full loot they had to make signficant changes to the overall game play to make the model work. 

The problem is, for the few thousand of us who enjoyed it, it was too much work for them to spend a lot of resources modifying the FFA model the way it rightfully should have been, so in the end it became an unsatisfactory situation , for not only the players but the Developers as well I'm sure.

I agree, it's a poor ROI.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by SandboxerX

As it seems right now ArcheAge will not be a full loot game. While it may be possible to kill other players at will you will not be able to loot them. I started a petition to get XL Games to create a separate full loot server for the hardcore sandbox crowd. Even if you do not like full loot MMO's it would behoove you to sign this petition so that gankers will stay on there own server. Please sign this petition. http://sandboxer.org/?p=541

I think XLGames is doing just fine.

The only way to make Sandboxes mainstream, is to mix them with Theme Park features, and full loot is something Casual players can't digest.

I understand your point is to have 1 server enabled for a full loot system, but I believe it is not simple to implement without diverting hours of labour toward something which will appeal only a minority of the player base.

I can't wait for this game by the way.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by username509

WoW already has several different "alternate rules" servers.  Roleplaying, PVP, PVE, and Roleplaying PVP servers.

If just 1000 extra people subscribed to ArcheAge because it has a full loot server that's an extra $15,000 USD a month plus initial cost of buying the game.  

Do you really think it would cost more than 15,000 USD to program in some sort of full loot system?  I don't.  

In a purely business standpoint, adding full loot servers would be a good idea for XL Games.  

15000$ wouldnt be worth the effort. For us normal people 15k sounds like a lot of cash.

But when your talking about 200k-300k subs your 1000 subs isnt even a drop in the bucket. It wouldnt even be worth the time. That time could better be spent appeasing your major crowd.

Anyways like others have said you just cant tack on full loot pvp, without the game being designed for it. Gear has to come easy in a full loot pvp game, and from my understanding based on AA PvE that isnt the case.

Anyways FFA PvP is the smallest nich crowd out there You guys should be happy that you have a couple new games in the past few years that catered to that. I am still waiting for my PvE ONLY Sandbox game. (IMO PvP ruins PvE, but i enjoy them both just not in the same game.)

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Ajmags

As it seems right now ArcheAge will not be a full loot game. While it may be possible to kill other players at will you will not be able to loot them. I started a petition to get XL Games to create a separate full loot server for the hardcore sandbox crowd. Even if you do not like full loot MMO's it would behoove you to sign this petition so that gankers will stay on there own server. Please sign this petition. http://sandboxer.org/?p=541

Good Idea starting the petition. It really crackes me up how many people can't comprehend what your asking for here.

Im personally in favor of a death system that makes players actully fear death therefore adding some excitement to the game. When there is no real death system players just rez and repeat over and over and over with no real consequence, even when fighting NPC mobs. There is no challenge and the game feels dumbed down.

While I think "full loot" is a good idea I think it should be just slightly less than full loot ..... So for instance if you die you can lose whatever Cash your carrying along with everything in your bag but the Killer only has the option to loot one piece of Armor off your body. This will force people to be smart about how they play the game and to use the bank often and it will also add the element of fear that so many games lack these days it will bring a sense of realism.

Im not a ganker nor do I like mindless gankers, honestly I like to hunt down and kill those types of players.

Those of you who DO NOT LIKE this type of SERVER the answer is simple... Dont play on it.

My guild started back in the days of UO and EQ1 we have also played Mortal Online and Darkfall and we prefer a game that presents a challenge other wise end game is just dreadfully boring. www.prophecyguild.net

Don't play on it?  lol, funny stuff there.

Every sec the devs put into a special server that is time taken away from the core game.  So that's why I won't support every little variation of server.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Ajmags

Good Idea starting the petition. It really crackes me up how many people can't comprehend what your asking for here.

Im personally in favor of a death system that makes players actully fear death therefore adding some excitement to the game. When there is no real death system players just rez and repeat over and over and over with no real consequence, even when fighting NPC mobs. There is no challenge and the game feels dumbed down.

While I think "full loot" is a good idea I think it should be just slightly less than full loot ..... So for instance if you die you can lose whatever Cash your carrying along with everything in your bag but the Killer only has the option to loot one piece of Armor off your body. This will force people to be smart about how they play the game and to use the bank often and it will also add the element of fear that so many games lack these days it will bring a sense of realism.

Im not a ganker nor do I like mindless gankers, honestly I like to hunt down and kill those types of players.

Those of you who DO NOT LIKE this type of SERVER the answer is simple... Dont play on it.

My guild started back in the days of UO and EQ1 we have also played Mortal Online and Darkfall and we prefer a game that presents a challenge other wise end game is just dreadfully boring. www.prophecyguild.net

Don't play on it?  lol, funny stuff there.

Every sec the devs put into a special server that is time taken away from the core game.  So that's why I won't support every little variation of server.

People like you always say the same rhetoric before a game gets released. You seem to have this fairy tale view that every employee is working on something crucial at any given minute when it's just not the case.

• praytockpraytock Member Posts: 23

Rather than having an internet argument about it ....how about signing it like I did.

Everyone is debating it but..i only see 4 sigs so far...

I read about 14 people agreeing with FULL LOOT ON A SEPARATE SERVER......but their sigs are not on the petition.

PUT the FULL LOOTERS on their OWN SERVER...if you dont want them on yours...or if you want to be on THAT particular server like me.

Sign away on the link provided on the FIRST POST please

Thanks =)

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

A sandbox MMO w/o full loot?

FINALLY!

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Snaylor47

FINALLY!

I think its going to be debatable how much of a sandbox this game is going to be...
    From the videos ive seen there still is a questing system, battlegrounds and instanced dungeons..

Probably going to be more of a hybrid.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Signed :)

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Mellkor

FINALLY!

I think its going to be debatable how much of a sandbox this game is going to be...

From the videos ive seen there still is a questing system, battlegrounds and instanced dungeons..

Jake Song never said the game would be a full sandbox. From the start it was presented as a Sandpark.

And no there isn't instanced dungeons, they were removed. As for battleground, while you do get honour points, it's faster to get points in the open world, so BGs are usually empty. People should stop assuming from videos.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Originally posted by Amate

FINALLY!

Jake Song never said the game would be a full sandbox. From the start it was presented as a Sandpark.

And no there isn't instanced dungeons, they were removed. As for battleground, while you do get honour points, it's faster to get points in the open world, so BGs are usually empty. People should stop assuming from videos.

Ohhh interesting about the dungeons, have XLGames mentioned anything about their plans for dungeons or simular content since the removal :o ?

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Vote for no.  I can't think of one mmo that ever made it to the top 5 with full pvp loot.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by mastersomrat

Vote for no.  I can't think of one mmo that ever made it to the top 5 with full pvp loot.

..... Ultima?

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I don't really like the idea of FULL loot, but I hope dev team will at least consider it for ONE server.

Jake Song seems to want to cater for most people's wishes, so everyone would find a place in his game - therefore there may be a good chance for something like this, methinks.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I play online games for PvP, thats what I do, and I love it.

But, full loot PvP has way too many problems. First of which is the ganker mentality, ruthless and unforgiving, not something that inspires many players. Very difficult to progress once the server has been open for a few weeks.

A good example is the OP. Look at how the OP is actually threating you to sign the petition, because if you dont, you will be at the mercy of the gankers. Ruthless and disguting tactic.

This is exactly why full loot PvP should never see the light of day, in any game.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

A bunch of sefish people in this world that can't bare to think that the PVP crowd coul dhave their own server because it would take population from the server that you like. Well maybe these people actually enjoy full loot pvp, and would buy the game just for that server. If you don't like full loot then it's very simple not ot play on the server. All these carebears who cry that a pvp server for those who want to play that way woudl ruin the game just make me sick.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The amount of people that would actually want full loot open world PvP as a proportion of the MMO community is really very very small. 

Most of them however hang out on these forums so it appears that there are many more people in favor of this than there actually are.

Having said that, I think 1 SEPARATE SERVER with full loot on is a great idea. That way the minority of people that want this can go play on that server and the rest of us can get on with enjoying the game. 

IMO they shouldnt advertise the fact they are having a full loot server at all, as the kind of people that will play it, are those that tend to frequent forums/follow the game closely anyway and so will already know. If they make a point of it then it will scare most players away. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by stragen001

The amount of people that would actually want full loot open world PvP as a proportion of the MMO community is really very very small. 

Most of them however hang out on these forums so it appears that there are many more people in favor of this than there actually are.

Having said that, I think 1 SEPARATE SERVER with full loot on is a great idea. That way the minority of people that want this can go play on that server and the rest of us can get on with enjoying the game. 

IMO they shouldnt advertise the fact they are having a full loot server at all, as the kind of people that will play it, are those that tend to frequent forums/follow the game closely anyway and so will already know. If they make a point of it then it will scare most players away. 

White people are becoming a minority in the US. Just goes to show you that trends change, and so does the taste of the masses. I hope that MMO's will come full circle sooner than later, and go back ot the days of risk vs reward.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Originally posted by stragen001

White people are becoming a minority in the US. Just goes to show you that trends change, and so does the taste of the masses. I hope that MMO's will come full circle sooner than later, and go back ot the days of risk vs reward.

Please leave your racist BS at the door, it has no place here.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by tom_gore

I totally support a full loot server. Throw the gankers in, lock the door and throw away the key.

Somehow the "worst offenders" always seem to play in PvE servers, where they can be the wolfs among sheep and exploit different pvp flagging mechanics.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Amate

FINALLY!

Do you have a link to the removal of instanced dungeons? I would really like to read the source.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development