Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypothetical: MMO Cull - what would survive

2»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

1.  Vanguard(will probably be replaced by ArcheAge when it comes out)

2.  WoW

3.  GW2 - I know it's not out, but I don't care.  I wanted to put SWTOR or LOTRO or Rift here....but all 3 piss me off in certain areas and make me unsub for months at a time before I wander back.  Technically that hasn't happened with SWTOR yet, but I'm already starting to feel the burn thanks to the lackluster endgame.  Stories are still keeping me going for now, that and guildies.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

GW2 - it's the next step towards the game I want to play

WoD - it is a lore I'd like to play in an mmo

rift - don't want to play it, but I hate WoW and those fans need something

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255

Only WoW and EVE deserve to survive. I'd leave the third slot open.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Ultima online  EA's and the free fan services will still be standing. There's a lot in UO todays new developers can learn a lot from on what makes a MMO last.  There more stories to be told in UO experiences than 1000 of TOR put together.

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by djmtott

WoW is to MMOs what Twilight is to movies. Both should be burned and forgotten. If WoW were to vanish I guarantee your other MMOs would start to innovate and improve.

Pretty much this.

I'd keep Vanguard, DAoC, and Darkfall.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, here.  You chose the last three MMOs I'd ever choose.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but between the bratfest that happened after Darkfall's (very fair) terrible review on Eurogamer, and the sad state of the game itself, all respect I may have had for the game or its development team went right out the window.  I played the game.  I know first hand how much it sucks to be killed repeatedly on your first day by roving death squads who have nothing better to do than ride around obliterating anyone and everyone who might be just starting.  PVP happens, and a shitty community can be outweighed by awesome gameplay - of which Darkfall offers very little.  It is a weak game, with an even weaker playerbase that is full of bugs, amateur visuals, clunky/uninspired combat, terrible animation and next to no music.  2 out of 10 is a generous score for it, and I'm positively ashamed I spent money on it.

And no, just because Warcraft is popular doesn't mean it's bad.  It's bad because of an awful community.  The game itself is fantastic, it's a joy to play, it feels incredibly fluid and responsive, and it kept me entertained for 7 years before the community became too volatile for the game itself to outweigh, largely due to features like cross-realm everything giving people an extra layer of anonymity.  Throw pandas and easy modes on top of that and it's why I eventually quit.  I may not want to play Warcraft anymore, but I can't say I particularly want to play Oblivion anymore, either.  Doesn't mean Oblivion is a bad game, it just means it's outlived its entertainment value for me.

Say we purge all MMOs, the three I would allow to remain would be:

1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (Arguably the apex of the game; it's all been downhill since)

2. Ragnarok Online (At least one korean grinder should probably stick around)

3. Star Wars Galaxies (SW:TOR Is both too close to Warcraft to matter and too far from SWG to substitute)

I don't believe EVE is even remotely in the same vein as other MMOs, so I don't think it should be a part of the "culling," and Guild Wars 2 isn't out yet, so it doesn't factor in.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by GreenHell

WoW is to MMOs what Twilight is to movies. Both should be burned and forgotten. If WoW were to vanish I guarantee your other MMOs would start to innovate and improve.

I doubt it. If WoW were to vanish it would just be replaced by one of the many games it has "influenced". Those 10 million people are not going to suddenly want a sandbox or something all that different from what they have now. I'm sure TOR subs would get a huge boost.

Most of those 10 million aren't aware that the MMO genre exists. WoW attracts non MMO gamers. If WoW went away they'd go back to their RTS games, their day jobs, whatever. WoW has casual appeal. Do you think the people that play Wii Sports would suddenly start playing immitations if Wii Sports went away? They'd probably just go "whatevs" and stop playing the Wii.

There are of course some people who were turned onto MMOs by WoW that would seek out others, but that number is much MUCH smaller than the number of people who just aren't MMO gamers, they're WoW gamers.

Also, Vanguard isn't a sandbox. It's a themepark game, in the original sense. It's heavily EQ influenced, as WoW was, except Vanguard focused on socialization, immersion, and challenge, rather than cooky Family Guy jokes and casual play.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Now that those 10 million have had a taste of WoW many would seek out another MMO just like WoW if it suddenly vanished. A lot of these people have now grown up with WoW. To many this was their first MMO and this is how they feel an MMO should be.

I don't know why you think I was calling VG a sandbox. I wasn't. Played it during beta and at launch. Maybe it is because it is early and I'm tired but I don't even know why you are mentioning VG.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Unfortunately Vanguard is prob only going to only survive if it goes F2P the current owners don't fill me with much hope they are giveing VG some love but i think it's to little to late,and with Smedly seeing Dollar Signs from recent F2P Success It seems inevitable.

Now call me crazy but Perfect World Entertainment would to me be the best bet if VG was sold as STO is actually looking rather good in their hands, also the F2P model used is one of the best i've seen to date,never thought i'd say that about a Cryptic game in my lifetime !!

Other than that.

WOW  

Hate say it but with their money and playerbase this still has legs

LOTRO

Once again money and tha IP will keep it going 

Eve

Still the best space  Mo going as their aint many to chose from.

Rift

Could have stiff competition from GW2 and the future AAA Mo's,so maybe a F2P model 

SWTOR

Once again IP and big money,and hopefully a revamp but not getting my hopes up.

p>
  • CagedApeCagedApe Member Posts: 13

This.

I would keep UO, pull Wish back from the dead, and keep Runescape around cause everyone needs a little brother to beat up.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

NONE!

mmo's are stagnant cesspools that do nothing but further rot its playerbase to the core and bleed money from their pockets with nothing but shallow dirt in return

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by darker70

Unfortunately Vanguard is prob only going to only survive if it goes F2P the current owners don't fill me with much hope they are giveing VG some love but i think it's to little to late,and with Smedly seeing Dollar Signs from recent F2P Success It seems inevitable.

Now call me crazy but Perfect World Entertainment would to me be the best bet if VG was sold as STO is actually looking rather good in their hands, also the F2P model used is one of the best i've seen to date,never thought i'd say that about a Cryptic game in my lifetime !!

Vanguard's problem ever since it got acquired by SOE has been the fact that it's EQ2's competitor and the fact SOE has done everything in their power to keep it down whenever possible, leaving the development team on skeleton crew included. Another thing that comes to mind is... well, how would you transfer it into F2P? Vanguard is kind of in a pinch because it's not a full fledged themepark MMO but has sandbox elements to it, and isn't instanced in nature like GW1 or DDO.

It's some weird hybrid that would probably fall apart were it to be dissected and sold into parts through microtransactions.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why keep wow and rift they're the same game
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I would say keep WoW and Eve, and just let the rest burn.  I would say SWTOR would be my third but I really don't want to see Rift and GW2 fans heads explode.  Don't want that on my conscious. (I kid, I kid)

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

1) Guild Wars

2) Aion

3) TERA (its out in Korea) if not then EVE

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by Methos12

Originally posted by darker70

Vanguard's problem ever since it got acquired by SOE has been the fact that it's EQ2's competitor and the fact SOE has done everything in their power to keep it down whenever possible, leaving the development team on skeleton crew included. Another thing that comes to mind is... well, how would you transfer it into F2P? Vanguard is kind of in a pinch because it's not a full fledged themepark MMO but has sandbox elements to it, and isn't instanced in nature like GW1 or DDO.

It's some weird hybrid that would probably fall apart were it to be dissected and sold into parts through microtransactions

Yeah it's a toughie but Vanguard needs new blood,as time goes on the playerbase is fadeing off after a bit of a spurt i would say limit F2P to a certain level and the same with crafting/diplo,it could be done but it would threaten the integrity of the game as one of the last true old school mo's out there but the signs are it will go F2P/Hybrid sooner or later.

p>
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Added a summary to my initial post.

Based on the summary so far I may give Rift a retry (played in beta) if none of the next wave of games meets expectations.

Looking at the numbers and their release dates I'm thinking that the golden age of MMO development may be nearing its end, however it will be interesting to redo this survey in 12 months.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Paragus puts as his three...

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

lotro

EvE

DaOC

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

They all need to die off.

The End.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

WoW

EVE

The others, I'm sorry man I just don't know how to tell you but, but, but, but they didn't make it. Sniff snuffles.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

DAoC

UO

Vanguard

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

1. WoW

2. Lotro

3. ?????

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

LotRO, Rift, and umm....

hell, maybe runescape.  so damn classic

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

Everquest

I mostly choose these for the overall quality and content you get with them.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Top 3 to keep would be..

1. Darkfall - Best PVP MMORPG out there just a shame the devs suck balls

2. AOC - The best PVE game out there, awesome world setting, awesome graphics and a great combat system

3. EVE - The best SciFi game around at the moment and a great sandbox to boot

Ones that need to be killed off first are...

1. WOW - Was ok to start with i guess but then it broke nearly all innovation in the industry, nearly every AAA title now tries to copy wow and for that reason alone it needs to be killed off first.

2. SWTOR - big waste of the Star Wars IP, also just your average WOW clone and mainly designed to play by yourself.

3. Rifts - Promised to add so much to the MMORPG world but sadly it failed and turned out to be a basic wow clone.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Rift

WoW

kinda a tie between Vanguard and Darkfall here.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design