Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Funcom haters...

Comments

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by nerovipus32

They burned me once it wont happen again.

This is the sort of comment I find the hardest to understand. Wtf, it's not like you cut of a limb and give them some lifechanging. I have hundreds of games and I bought them all for prices ranging from 10 to 50 $. I buy a game, if I don't like it I thow it into the basket of bad game and I move on. In this way I have found dosens of really really good games, that people have been saying all kinds of funny shit about. If I hear of a game I think sounds fun I test it, and thats all there is to it.

Also if you have gripes about AOC, I just have to say this is my favorite game of all times. The undisputable best MMO fantasy game out there. So clearly there is a matter of taste also part of this.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by DaSpack

This is the sort of comment I find the hardest to understand. Wtf, it's not like you cut of a limb and give them some lifechanging. I have hundreds of games and I bought them all for prices ranging from 10 to 50 $. I buy a game, if I don't like it I thow it into the basket of bad game and I move on. In this way I have found dosens of really really good games, that people have been saying all kinds of funny shit about. If I hear of a game I think sounds fun I test it, and thats all there is to it.

Also if you have gripes about AOC, I just have to say this is my favorite game of all times. The undisputable best MMO fantasy game out there. So clearly there is a matter of taste also part of this.

In AoCs case it also depends on when you played it. The first month was really bad, buggy like nothing else and before they redesign the dungeons.

Still,refusing to play a game because you didn´t like the devs last game seems silly to me. I would not buy a game without trying it in that case but play a little open beta or do a free trial after launch never really hurt.

There were a time when Blizzard lived on porting commodore Amiga Chessgames to PC, companies change and sometimes better themselves.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Personally love/loved Anarchy Online,  and AoC when I played it was a great game thru level 20. Frankly I am very excited to see what TSW brings to the table as the concept seems totally fresh in a rather stale and stagnant market.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by DaSpack

In AoCs case it also depends on when you played it. The first month was really bad, buggy like nothing else and before they redesign the dungeons.

Still,refusing to play a game because you didn´t like the devs last game seems silly to me. I would not buy a game without trying it in that case but play a little open beta or do a free trial after launch never really hurt.

There were a time when Blizzard lived on porting commodore Amiga Chessgames to PC, companies change and sometimes better themselves.

Well it's part of the story that I started AoC one year after release.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Sasami

I'm sorry but blaming engine for problems that they had with LACK OF CONTENT is plain BS. Content isn't created by coders, it's totaly different people. Problem wasn't even polish, it was pure lack of content all together when you get closer to level cap. Funcom has history of rushing games out before proper full game experience.

Yes, TSW has much better start but it has also lot less resources due AoC failure. And yes, TSW has got totally BS critism on this forum but thats same for every game here. Personally Funcom was good company before AoC but how they lied and managed whole AoC publishing I have lost all faith on company. Fanbois and Funcom just have to deal the fact that disappointed AoC fans are going to throw them on rotten tomatotes and TBH they deserve it.

He didn't blame lack of content on the game engine. He stated lack of content as a problem and  the game engine  as another problem.

Nvm. already addressed. Anyway...I hope they did learn from AoC and TSW is awesome.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I recall Funcom saying before AoC's release that they had learned their leson from AO's launch and AoC would not be another AO.

I recall them also telling beta testers that the beta build was 2-3 builds behind the internal build and the release build had had full content for many unfinished zones along dx10 and many other things that  the release build did not have.  Most of the prmises they made would not be in game for 6+ months.  I recall Funcom telling many  lies about content that would not be in release that they were knew were false.

I recall Funcom using a bait and switch with open beta only showing levels 1-13 to open beta players while hiding that the rest of the game was completely unfinished.

I recall Funcom spending more time cleansing their forums and deleting posts of upset customers than actually fixing their game.

I recall AoC merging into 6 servers 7 months after release.

All that Funcom has learned is MMO gamers are complete idiots and will believe anything they say and that they will easily give them money for making awful games. It seems it pays to lie and decieve.

After having played AO at release and AoC I will never believe a word any Funcom Dev said and I will never play any of their games.  It is not just the poor product its the outright lies and  dishonesty.  Anyone who works for Funcom should be ashamed of themselves.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Funcom didn't cover themselves in glory with AoC, but as long as they keep to the non-linear approach of character development, then they will get my money just for breaking out of the horrid mindset that developers are stuck in with the "WoW clone" mentality.

Bioware on the other hand should hang their heads in shame. A company that has created some great games in their past, only to jump on the generic MMO band wagon, which is really unforgiveable and didn't get my money. 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Ok VincentG85 how would Mr. Bylos and Funcom respond to a collectors edition, 6month paid subscription person who asked on there Forums, when would " Bar Room Brawling " be added and received a Perma Ban on the Forums this happened around the 60 day mark ? 

Account canceled, Game uninstalled, Collector's edition tossed in Trash

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Zippy

I recall Funcom saying before AoC's release that they had learned their leson from AO's launch and AoC would not be another AO.

I recall them also telling beta testers that the beta build was 2-3 builds behind the internal build and the release build had had full content for many unfinished zones along dx10 and many other things that  the release build did not have.  Most of the prmises they made would not be in game for 6+ months.  I recall Funcom telling many  lies about content that would not be in release that they were knew were false.

I recall Funcom using a bait and switch with open beta only showing levels 1-13 to open beta players while hiding that the rest of the game was completely unfinished.

I recall Funcom spending more time cleansing their forums and deleting posts of upset customers than actually fixing their game.

I recall AoC merging into 6 servers 7 months after release.

All that Funcom has learned is MMO gamers are complete idiots and will believe anything they say and that they will easily give them money for making awful games. It seems it pays to lie and decieve.

After having played AO at release and AoC I will never believe a word any Funcom Dev said and I will never play any of their games.  It is not just the poor product its the outright lies and  dishonesty.  Anyone who works for Funcom should be ashamed of themselves.

As negative as your post is, it's true when it comes to what Funcom promised and what was published at release. Regarding the beta build being 2-3 builds behind the internal build, but that was probably true, but the reason was that the internal build  was unstable. Not an excuse, just an explanation. Most of the serious bugs where fixed by desember 2008, 7 months after release, while dx10 was enabled early in 2009, just shy of 12 months after launch. It was basically released 6 months too early.

I have a few friends playing the TSW beta and it's already stable now, about 3 months from launch. The TSW beta is currently at the size of level 1-40 of AoC and it looks and plays very well according to the guys that are playing.

If you think the game looks interesting (I assume you are since you are in the TSW forums), wait for 3-4 weeks after launch and get it if Funcom has kept their promises this time. If not, let your money speak for you and don't buy it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im really looking forward to TSW because i dont hate a developer for their past mistakes (except SOE because they always ruin something). We will see when TSW releases if they indeed learned from their past mistakes. How will i know that? by playing it.

Regarding AoC i didnt play at release so i dont know how bad was but ppl say it was bad so..... anyway, after F2P the game runs fine.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Ok VincentG85 how would Mr. Bylos and Funcom respond to a collectors edition, 6month paid subscription person who asked on there Forums, when would " Bar Room Brawling " be added and received a Perma Ban on the Forums this happened around the 60 day mark ? 

that person should double check what did he do that caused the forum ban, because it was definitely not that question.

EDIT: did funcom send a message saying the ban was for that reason? yes? then they suck, no? then the the banned guy sucks for trying the wrong moves and still failing.

Originally posted by rojo6934

im really looking forward to TSW because i dont hate a developer for their past mistakes (except SOE because they always ruin something). We will see when TSW releases if they indeed learned from their past mistakes. How will i know that? by playing it.

Regarding AoC i didnt play at release so i dont know how bad was but ppl say it was bad so..... anyway, after F2P the game runs fine.

I played AoC from late july 2008 and about 1,5 years forward and it still had some major bugs at the time, but the game was fun and the combat system refreshing. I got bored of raiding after a while but have checked into the game recently and they have for instance fixed the loading times, they are about 25% of what they were in 2-3 months after launch, the game has lower ping and is more responsive, etc.

Looking at TSW it looks like they have fixed all the things that were less good in AoC. The biggest selling point for me is probably the skill system that looks really fun, the combat (free movement!) and it has a much larger endgame with content that is more solo friendly, so that casual players like me has something to do.

• BarsoomBarsoom Member UncommonPosts: 15

I played both AO and AoC at launch. As well as probably a dozen other MMOs over the years. AO and AoC are two of the best games I have ever played. I played AO for the better part of 7 years and AO for 2. Like other games they had issues when they launched. Like the brand new game SWTOR that has all of i'ts servers currently down duing prime weekend playing time. If you play MMOs then you know they have to fix things as they get stated.

I am not trying to convince anyone who is not intrested in playing Funcom games to do so. I just want to let anyone who is seeing all the negative posts about them who has not tried a Funcom game to try it for yourself. AO released in 2001 and is still in the top 5 Sci-Fi MMOs i believe.

On this very websited both games are rated higher than the "infamous WoW" A game that imo has a big following because of the superior marketing and not because it's content. Yes I said it. you are playing it because when you walked in Best Buy you seen 100 copies on the shelf and thought "wow that must be a good game"

I will play TSW. I have signed up for beta and hope I get invited. I amy playing SWTOR right now and am having fun, but will have no problem login out to load up TSW.

Played: The Realm, Anarchy-Online, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, Age Of Conan, Star Trek Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

I loved AO and enjoyed AOC after one year of patching. I am still looking forward to TSW . But i will be smart this time and not play it on launch ;)

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by Shivam

I loved AO and enjoyed AOC after one year of patching. I am still looking forward to TSW . But i will be smart this time and not play it on launch ;)

I also played AO for about a year, quit before Shadowlands. The main problem with Funcom has been to release substandard products. Their concepts and ideas have always been pretty good, like with towers and cities in AO. However, the execution has not always been most user friendly. I hope they learned from AOC that they cannot publish unfinished game, if they want to keep their customers. This time people will be much more cautious before committing to buy their product, so they must deliver what they promise...AOC was a pretty solid game, but it did not meet the expectations of majority of players.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I'm kind odd because I don't get the whole MMO company hate that people have.  I judge the game itself.  If I don't like the game, I don't like that game.  If a company produces one or more games I don't like, means that I am more concious in buying their next one.  I might wait for a trial, maybe wait to see what the community is saying about the game, or I avoid it.  However, I don't have an emotional attachment one way or another towards the company.

I self identify as a monkey.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I'm kind odd because I don't get the whole MMO company hate that people have.  I judge the game itself.  If I don't like the game, I don't like that game.  If a company produces one or more games I don't like, means that I am more concious in buying their next one.  I might wait for a trial, maybe wait to see what the community is saying about the game, or I avoid it.  However, I don't have an emotional attachment one way or another towards the company.

Personally I don't hate any company like that, but when a games company has released 2 MMOs, and both have been released incomplete, with missing features and so buggy that large sections of the game were practically unplayable makes me wary of getting their 3rd released MMO on release day.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Personally I don't hate any company like that, but when a games company has released 2 MMOs, and both have been released incomplete, with missing features and so buggy that large sections of the game were practically unplayable makes me wary of getting their 3rd released MMO on release day.

I do understand people holding back a little on Funcom. But the coding is more stable and what I have read in artikles the game loocks stunning and stable 6months before launch.  AO was launch way back when Funcom was a werry smal gaming company with werry little resorces and there was not many games like that out there. AoC had a brillint launch for a few weeks before starting patching the game and adding a hell of alot of buggs.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Szasz

Originally posted by nyxium
    I have nothing at all against AoC, I think the citys are breathtaking. I'm looking forward to Secret World, and role playing a Dragon.
    I'm with this guy. Cept i'll be playing the vastly superior illuminutty professor 2: electric boogaloo.

haha I always say electric boogaloo after a sequel reference.

I don't know which secret society to be anymore. At first I was going to be Dragon because the downtown market place in Seoul looks so awesome like Shenmue or Yakuza games. But then I saw Brooklyn and was all about Illuminati. Now the Templars are sounding good mainly because they seem the least popular and I'd love to play the "spoiler" faction in a 3 faction pvp scenario.

In any case, I can't wait to get my hands on this!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Funcom usually end up making a decent game, however, after AO I waited to see what the launch of AoC was like and after the launch of AoC there is absolutely nothing they could say to convince me to even think about giving them any money till after it has launched.

Obviously, just because their previous titles had bad launches it is not certain that this one will also be a poor launch, but it does suggest a higher probability in my opinion.

If the game is as interesting as folks are making out then I would suggest they did away with the hype altogether, word of mouth will be their best friend and less folks on launch day should result in less stability issues, whining and funcom forum hate.  Save some money from the marketing push and put it back into the game, that way you won't whip up players into a frenzy of anticipation only for them to be disappointed come release.  

If it is innovative and stable then the good feedback from the early adopters will be worth millions in good advertising and it won't cost funcom a penny.

Originally posted by Torluk

Funcom usually end up making a decent game, however, after AO I waited to see what the launch of AoC was like and after the launch of AoC there is absolutely nothing they could say to convince me to even think about giving them any money till after it has launched.

Obviously, just because their previous titles had bad launches it is not certain that this one will also be a poor launch, but it does suggest a higher probability in my opinion.

If the game is as interesting as folks are making out then I would suggest they did away with the hype altogether, word of mouth will be their best friend and less folks on launch day should result in less stability issues, whining and funcom forum hate.  Save some money from the marketing push and put it back into the game, that way you won't whip up players into a frenzy of anticipation only for them to be disappointed come release.  

If it is innovative and stable then the good feedback from the early adopters will be worth millions in good advertising and it won't cost funcom a penny.

If you compare the hype Funcom produced for AoC and compare it to TSW, you will probably notice that they are thinking the same thing. They have been very low key and they are holding back a lot of information. It does lead to some confusion though, one guy on the forums here where convinced they wouldn't have crafting because they haven't presented it yet.

I got to try it a bit earlier today and the storydriven part was very good, particularily since I usually just skip through those parts and didn't here because I thought it was interesting. :)

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by VincentG85

Joel Bylos (TSW Lead Content Designer): There is a long catalogue of lessons learned but perhaps the ones that are most relevant to people who are "gun-shy" after AoC:

We try to maintain the consistency of content across the entire spectrum of the game, rather than the uneven polish that Conan launched with.

We have a much more mature engine, which was responsible for many of the complaints in AoC. We have years of bugfixes done on the game engine.

Shameless plug: I'd also like to encourage anyone who has doubts about Funcom to revisit Age of Conan. The game is free now, and I think just playing it demonstrates the commitment that we as a company make to titles we release. We are not "fire and forget" developers, we care about the worlds we create and we strive to continually improve upon them.

Source : http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=28337

They also have years of bug fixes into Age of Conan and the game is still buggy as hell. Stay away from this game Failcom will ruin it. It is just going to be another cash n grab release.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Games at launch? Not with someone elses money:)

3-4 months after launch? I most likely will try a game by Funcom.

They do eventually get the games to be playable and mostly fun after a while. But i am extremely gun shy on any launch they do.

Got to try the beta and I am very impressed. The game has so far been 100% stable, it just misses some minor polish, for instance the icon that shows quest difficulty is a bit small. The quests and combat works very well and the graphics are awesome. I am a former AoC player, so I know what a buggy game is, and this ain't it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.