Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bioware is making me FURIOUS!

bioware brings down the game at the worst times ever. midnight on a friday? REALLY!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

and they also disabled any posting on the forums at all!!! REALLY??!!! Now i cant even complain in all caps there?!!!

Comments

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Complication

bioware brings down the game at the worst times ever. midnight on a friday? REALLY!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

and they also disabled any posting on the forums at all!!! REALLY??!!! Now i cant even complain in all caps there?!!!

Personally I already unsubbed after leveling my shadow but that being said they love to disable their forums so people can't complain during down times.

Geez they had their forums down for like 3 days last week after patching 1.1

I still watch their forums daily just to revel in the demise of fanbois hope and dreams.

I would have loved if that game was good but I'm not paying for beta testing. I did that with WAR and it's better to just let idiots beta test it and join in 8 months.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

yeah i feel ya m8.......i just tryd to login and noticed that the servers are down (on a freaking saturday???? RLY???).

I only time i have to play for a fiew hours streight is in the weekend because i got work during weekdays like most people.

This is the 3rd or 4th time i experience this problem since the 20th (launch).

If bioware (EA) doesnt get their shit together i will cancel within 2 weeks.......its about freaking time they get their servers running as they should be.......getting sick of this too......i wont pay for offline servers much longer.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

yeah. my gf is out of town visiting her parents. so i was like OH YEAH!!! gonna have an all nighter and eat junk food and be a general slob!!!!

but now i guess i cant and now im forced to actually bathe and sleep.  such bullshit

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I'm not sure what's worse..the ridiculous timing of their maitenance.. or that they disable the forums during maitenance..

I like Bioware, I enjoy their products..but they seriously need to learn very quickly how to run an MMO

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

I feel you. If you look at the thread on the forum that says that new posts are disabled, they put it up all of about 30 seconds before the alarm bells started ringing in-servers that a 4-hour 'stealth maintenance' was incoming. Bravo, Bioware. One second, there I am questing with an alt on DK, and in the next, oh, yay, my night is over. You know, contrary to popular belief by those at Bioware, not everyone lives on the East coast. This isn't the middle of the night everywhere civilized.

But frankly, I'm getting to the point where I don't want to give Bioware my money anymore. You can write this off as a rage about unexpected downtimes -- and, to some extent, it is, although, honestly, that's really not acceptable unless they're of the 30-minute variety; a fullblown maintenance on a Friday night is not okay -- but the game feels like it is run by amateurs.

They make absolutely stupid mistakes, such as:

1) Cloning a game everyone is tired of playing.

2) Rushing patches full of bugs in order to try to head off players quitting.

3) Rushing the game's launch in order to meet Christmas deadlines when the endgame was still a hollow shell, and reachable in 2 weeks of questing by even average MMO standards.

4) Engaging in 'silent management,' where the community is never, ever spoken to, except by proxy on third party websites, and then only in interview format.

5) Ignoring demands for interesting content (ship customization; real space battles; any sandbox-ish elements) in favor of stupid, gimmicky crap (Rise of the Rhakghouls anyone? Who the crap was asking for some cheap, zombie knock-off in Star Wars?).

I mean, it's difficult to fork over cash to these people when I know it is being squandered. If there's a captain at the helm of this ship, and the wheel isn't merely tied down into autopilot (which is really what I envision), then he must be drunk off his backside 24/7, because I, the second mate, the parrot, and even the rats in the hold can see the rocks on the horizon, and boy oh boy are we coming up on them quickly.

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

curse them with their maintenance and trying to fix the problems to make the game more playable!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

it isn't like they're the first company to suspend forum useage during these types of maintenance and patches. Why bother keeping them open? The bulk of the posts will turn into a flame fest anyways like they always do if they don't. Which I suppose is what the Op was getting at but whatever.

Can't say I blame them. Annoying it is going down though but whatever x2.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I can't tell if this is satire or not.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

it isn't like they're the first company to suspend forum useage during these types of maintenance and patches. Why bother keeping them open? The bulk of the posts will turn into a flame fest anyways like they always do if they don't.

Can't say I blame them. Annoying it is going done though but whatever.

Not being the first doesn't make it ok..

If you're going to over-moderate that badly, don't have forums. WAR didn't, and I actually thought that was a good idea, it puts the whole forum problem on other people's shoulders. 

Policing them like they are, and not owning up to their mistakes is frustrating. Bioware is feeling more like Blizzard and SOE everyday, shame Rift is such a crappy game, because Trion is doing well on the PR front.

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

it wouldn't be as bad if they didnt ninja close the forums, it would at least give the community something to do since we cant play the game at peak hours for most of us...

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by koira1

curse them with their maintenance and trying to fix the problems to make the game more playable!

Yeah, there's a day for this -- it's Tuesday. Nobody likes it then, either, but at least we know it's coming, and can plan around it.

But tonight? Tonight was absolute crap. I don't care what they wanted to fix -- it could wait 4 days. Certainly, it didn't need to take 4 hours to patch whatever the frack this is, followed by eight more hours of downtime on the 31st.

Yes, they knew what they were doing when they shut down the forums -- they knew people would be livid, and justifiably so. This is not how you run an MMO. I'm sorry that that 'ruins the immersion' of your ongoing love affair with Bioware. It's a subpar game, but the management is perhaps the worst I've seen since SOE blew up SWG.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

What is the reason for this downtime?

Is there patch notes somewhere, didn't seem to find them. The notes on their website are about the Tuesdays patch.

EDIT: Now you know, our US brothers, how EU players feel about their patching times image

• forinboyforinboy Member UncommonPosts: 89

It isnt satire.  They (bioware) droppped the ball on this one terribly.

I was an hour plus into a FP when we got the message that the world will end in 15 minutes.

15 minutes??  The fucking Mayans gave us  more warning than that.  Good job...

• Oh-herroOh-herro Member Posts: 1

Honestly I agree with the OP... I loved every second of leveling my smuggler to 50 and my BH to 43 and have been waiting for SWTOR since october of 08 and was a rabid poster on their forums. Around 7k posts when the game came out... and I am so frustrated with SWTOR and Bioware..

I mean come on. SWTOR was a good try, but it flopped at end game imo... it isnt the beast Bioware explained it to be and now I can't even play it on my night off which I do not get many of. =(

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Yeah, paying for servers to be down on weekends is a hobby off mine.... /end sarcasm

They should fucking work on it on weekdays......when people are at school or at work....not putting your servers down for hours on a weekend.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

I was 10,000 xp from hitting level 50 and I was doing the final storyline of the smuggler.....

Originally posted by evianwater

Not being the first doesn't make it ok..

Give me a break.

Have you ever seen forums when they don't? They pretty much succeed at becoming more worthless than ever. They get so chock full of "Company X sucks", "Why during MY PLAYTIME WAAH", or even turn into the idiotic bashing of fucking countries.

It reaches new levels of stupidity man once thought never could be accomplished.

Instead of locking or deleting the hundred or so threads why not lock down the forums for a few? Not like those that still find this as the final nail in the coffin can't let everyone know they're quitting over it for the hundredth time afterwards.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

three problems with that sarcasm:

a) they're gonna need a bigger patch to make it playable and a lot more than 6 hours.

b) how do we know it's playable when it's always offline?

c) actually, i think a and b are so great i don't need a c.

Originally posted by forinboy

It isnt satire.  They (bioware) droppped the ball on this one terribly.

I was an hour plus into a FP when we got the message that the world will end in 15 minutes.

15 minutes??  The fucking Mayans gave us  more warning than that.  Good job...

Yeah, that was incredibly lame. I feel for anyone that was well into their fp when they pulled this.

I don't know if I should be angry at EA or Bioware...because as much as Bioware's name is all over the game, it was EA's pressure to get the game out that got us an incomplete game. 

Looking at the history of both companies..EA has more black marks, so I'll go with history and blame EA. Hopefully the game will recieve another content patch soon, an expac within a year of release and it'll get rolling. 

We need a non-fantasy MMO, and there are parts of this game that are excellent, and parts that aren't.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I too am really doubting my continued subscription due to their server downtimes. As a European player I am disgruntled at having the same maintenance times as the US but can live with it, but when it is till 2pm, sometimes 4pm on a weekly basis it is fast becoming annoying, especially more as it is my day off from work.

Count up the hours of daytime playing hours it soons adds up and now they do this on a Saturday and yet again they even take down the test server.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Complication

Midnight of Friday and day time for others on Saturday. So what is the best time for maintenance?

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Yeah, it's down and that blows. That said, it's only 4 hours, not 6 or 8. Watch a movie or two , make yourself something to eat and before you know it the servers will be back up.

For the folks who only have this particular time frame to play due to your job, well, 1) I'd hate to have your job and 2) this is something you'd have to deal with with any new MMO that has launched in recent times.

It's all about prioritizing your time. I know the vast majority of people don't put gaming near the top of that list of their leisure activities. They tend to be the most upset when a MMO is getting maintenance and the 2-3 hour block that they have set aside out of a 168 hour week falls within that time frame.

Bioware is learning how to do this whole MMO thing. This is their first time at the dance. In their second month. If anyone in this genre (MMOs) deserves a break to get their feet under them for at least the first 6 months it's them.

That's not to say not to maintain expecting them to follow through and make things better. It is saying give them a chance to get some "live" experience withthe game and learn and fine tune their internal practices.

Oh, and if it honestly bothers/angers anyone that much, quit. Cause hollow meaningless threats on random forums (or even the BW) don't scare or mean anything to anyone other than the person who writes them. And with this title being this new, they are probably still getting an equal or slightly greater number of new subscriptions than thouse that are leaving.

Anyway, I'm gonna go make some food and watch some movies. Then I'll log back in in now, what, 3 hours and 17 minutes.*

*Provided they have the servers up

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

All EU servers still down on a saturday morning. That looks like some solid planning. Whatever it is that they're doing, it had better be worth it. If among other things they plug high rezz textures back in, I'm sure the rage will die down quickly. If it's just another fail patch that breaks things even more, then well, figure it out.

imageimage

What cracks me up is the whole date snafu? Could have sworn this was supposed to be on Jan 31st. Then I'm playing and next thing I know I get a message saying the server is going down in 15.

Thankfully, the group I was in just finished. Would have been pretty pissed if I was in the middle of a heroic or fp I must say.