Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypothetical: MMO Cull - what would survive

marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Assuming the virtual gods decreed that only three currently live MMO's could survive and all others must be closed down immediately, what three MMO's would you choose to save.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

My choices:

1. Lotro - my clear favourite at this time and the future looks bright, good community, plenty to do, end game is fun, rolling a new character can be very different.

2. Darkfall - I want this game to be fixed, I really enjoyed my first two years in this game before a lot of the less skilled pvpers left and it become the domain of the pvp elitists. I like a game where pve involves risk, I like a game that is real aim rather than tab target. When you are in a guild there is a real "us vs them" that develops and it encourages you to work together. Yes the game is unpolished and the development team looks unlikely to change that, but the basics were all there and it had potential.

3. WoW - hate to say it, but if there was nothing else it would probably keep me amused 

~-~-~-~-~-~-

Summary

WoW - 17

Eve - 12

Rift - 5

Vanguard, Daoc - 4

Lotro, CoH, Swtor - 3

SWG, UO, Darkfall, EQ, EQ2 - 2

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Comments

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Wow, RIft and Everquest. Everyone else is just a waste of space.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

WOW

EVE

COH

• FutureMMOFutureMMO Member Posts: 47

1. COH

2. Rift

3. EVE

[email protected], 12GB@1600Mhz, GTx580 SLi, 1920x1080@120Hz, 7.1 Creative Gigaworks S750
    162 Original PC Game collection. Surprisingly not a virgin.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

LOTRO, WOW, EVE

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Wow & Eve

There isn't a good enough game at #3 to warrant a mention.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Eve - Sandboxers got to have a place tp play

Rift - come on do I need to explain

WoW - I do not want these guys in Rift

• ThrageThrage Member Posts: 200

Why Darkfall?  That game is awful.  Let it rot, I say.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think Mortal Online would survive. It seems like nothing short of a direct, nuclear strike or an especially powerful fuel air bomb will kill that game. It's probably a zombie, waiting to eat the brains out of any games it comes across...if it could only get out of Finland!

** edit **
    Oh, that's not the point of this thread.

SWToR, because I'm playing it right now and I want to finish at least one story line.
    The Secret World because it just looks cool.
    World of Darkness because, again, it just looks cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

wow, lineage, atlantica online.

wow is the leader now so of course it'll survive

lineage have been the top 5 mmorpg in asia for like 13 years.  pretty sure it'll survive.

I'm playing atalntica online now so I'm bias.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Edited to make the initial question clearer and to answer questions.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

WoW. The game has a lot of content, and while it might not be adaquetly challenging or new, it is still a great AAA game.

SWTOR because the community could use a good Sci-Fi MMORPG, and since it is my opinion I'm ruling EVE out since it's more of a spreadsheet than an actual fun experience.

Guild Wars 2 if I can pick it, just because I feel it will be a great game like WoW but more fresh.

If Guild Wars 2 isn't a valid choice because it isn't released, then I'd cast my final vote on Rift.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Asherons Call because its the best MMO i ever played.

DaoC because i know alot of people liked its style of pvp.

and yes i would keep WoW that way all the babys who go to new games and complain that its not wow can just stay in wow and out of my game. because if they show up in Asherons Call they will be pvped right away and sent packing back to care bear land.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

WoW is to MMOs what Twilight is to movies. Both should be burned and forgotten. If WoW were to vanish I guarantee your other MMOs would start to innovate and improve.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

1. EvE - dedicated niche also one of a kind

2. Vanguard - sentimental reasons. still some of the best PvE and crafting anywhere

3. WoW - nothing seems to kill this sucker!

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

WoW, DAoC, EVE

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Star Wars Galaxies (Before Jedi)

EverQuest II

ArcheAge - The concept alone is better than the games out now.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online - the best game I have ever played, period.

Eve Online - shares a symbiotic relationship with VO, and should therefore survive.

World of Warcraft - came out with some fresh ideas, and deserves props.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

1) WoW, for being better than anyone else at the big budget themepark with something for everyone.

2) EVE, for being better than everyone else at the sandbox with player-driven economy, content, politics, warfare.

3) LOTRO, for being better than every other F2P game.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I would rise up against the gods, shouting from the hilltops that they had not the right to cull a flock that did not belong to them and that each living thing, each embattled culture, deserved to stand or fall on the strength of its own will to survive, not because of any arbitrary decree from on high.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Originally posted by Thrage

Why Darkfall?  That game is awful.  Let it rot, I say.

What? It's probably one of the most innovative and interesting MMOs out right now.

Originally posted by djmtott

WoW is to MMOs what Twilight is to movies. Both should be burned and forgotten. If WoW were to vanish I guarantee your other MMOs would start to innovate and improve.

Pretty much this.

I'd keep Vanguard, DAoC, and Darkfall.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

How sad is it that I can't think of one MMO, let alone three, that I'd miss? Everything I care about isn't out yet.

I guess if I had to choose, City of Heroes would be one, just because it's so player friendly and does the super hero theme very well. Next, I'd keep Vaguard, because if it was one of only 3 MMOs allowed to exist, Sony would HAVE to care about it and start working with it again, giving sandboxers a place to go. That takes care of themepark and sandbox...I guess the third is up for grabs. Maybe EVE, for people into that whole sci-fi space simulator thing. I'd rather an open-world action MMO like C9, though.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I doubt it. If WoW were to vanish it would just be replaced by one of the many games it has "influenced". Those 10 million people are not going to suddenly want a sandbox or something all that different from what they have now. I'm sure TOR subs would get a huge boost.

Originally posted by GreenHell

I doubt it. If WoW were to vanish it would just be replaced by one of the many games it has "influenced". Those 10 million people are not going to suddenly want a sandbox or something all that different from what they have now. I'm sure TOR subs would get a huge boost.

Most of those 10 million aren't aware that the MMO genre exists. WoW attracts non MMO gamers. If WoW went away they'd go back to their RTS games, their day jobs, whatever. WoW has casual appeal. Do you think the people that play Wii Sports would suddenly start playing immitations if Wii Sports went away? They'd probably just go "whatevs" and stop playing the Wii.

There are of course some people who were turned onto MMOs by WoW that would seek out others, but that number is much MUCH smaller than the number of people who just aren't MMO gamers, they're WoW gamers.

Also, Vanguard isn't a sandbox. It's a themepark game, in the original sense. It's heavily EQ influenced, as WoW was, except Vanguard focused on socialization, immersion, and challenge, rather than cooky Family Guy jokes and casual play.