Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so few classes?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Why so few classes? You believe Blizzard will add more classes as the game goes on? Could make for some nice DLC.
By the way, how many players can play together per instance?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Five classes is plenty.  Diablo 2 releases with the same amount, then they added to more in the expansion.  I'm sure they will do some similiar with D3.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

5 classes, I believe it's 4 players per instance, it might be 5. I haven't been in beta for a month, my gaming rig crashed :/ gotta replace parts.

Anyway, 5 classes at the outset is fine. I'm sure they will add 1-2 per expansion, possibly release one as DLC. They need to ensure that each class plays uniquely.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Kaneth

5 classes, I believe it's 4 players per instance, it might be 5. I haven't been in beta for a month, my gaming rig crashed :/ gotta replace parts.

Anyway, 5 classes at the outset is fine. I'm sure they will add 1-2 per expansion, possibly release one as DLC. They need to ensure that each class plays uniquely.

I was thinking the same thing. DLC or Expansions. 

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

What disgusts me about this whole project is that it's taken a lot longer than anyone expected, the class output of 5?  That screams to me almost as if future content and expansions have already been in the works for years and possibly be even near completion at the release of the core game... that's all the publisher's decision (fine and good).. except if my line of thinking turns out to be correct, than Blizzard is far more worried about milking revenue streams than their player bases.  It is quite difficult for myself to be convinced that the finished product will be representative of 10 years of work.  I just haven't seen anything of the game that would take that long to finish based on past Blizzard releases and the size of the company.

So I scratch my head and become even further skeptical of my once favorite game publisher.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Even though they have the financial resources available, I don't think Blizzard has enough intellectual resources left to focus on things like additional classes for Diablo. Too much time invested in trying to walk while chewing bubble gum.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

If anybody has played any previous pvp games with multiple classes, they know how difficult it is to balance.  A major focus for D3 is pvp, while adding unique and distinct gameplay for each class.  If they can only do that with 5 classes at launch then that is perfectly acceptable.  This is Blizzard we are talking about, not EA.  They won't release a product that isn't finished.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

Originally posted by MacroHard

What disgusts me about this whole project is that it's taken a lot longer than anyone expected, the class output of 5?  That screams to me almost as if future content and expansions have already been in the works for years and possibly be even near completion at the release of the core game... that's all the publisher's decision (fine and good).. except if my line of thinking turns out to be correct, than Blizzard is far more worried about milking revenue streams than their player bases.  It is quite difficult for myself to be convinced that the finished product will be representative of 10 years of work.  I just haven't seen anything of the game that would take that long to finish based on past Blizzard releases and the size of the company.

So I scratch my head and become even further skeptical of my once favorite game publisher.

Obivously you dont know your favourite publisher very well. Know for taking ages to bring out there games, and just because they said 10 years ago there making a diablo3 dosnt mean they spent the last 10 years making it. They have other games in development

• Am really sad they don't have a paladin/knight type character. When I saw the crusader image I was stoked. Unfortunately it's just a hireling. I want my own guy to look like that.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by TheHavok

If anybody has played any previous pvp games with multiple classes, they know how difficult it is to balance.  A major focus for D3 is pvp, while adding unique and distinct gameplay for each class.  If they can only do that with 5 classes at launch then that is perfectly acceptable.  This is Blizzard we are talking about, not EA.  They won't release a product that isn't finished.

Considering they said they didnt' want to make Diablo an "E sport" style PVP game and that the arena's will be more for fun than for serious competition, I agree with you.   It will make it a lot easier to balance and it takes a lot less work for casual enjoyment, they can tweak things a lot easier. 

However, yes I do see them adding in classes, they have two ex packs slated for this game so I'm betting classes are coming with them, as they have in previous Diablo incarnations.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

5 classes is more than enough. Diablo 2 had 5 classes. Nuff said.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.