Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online: The Official Wurm Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wurm Online is a game that hearkens back to the "good old days of MMOs" so much so, in fact, that players are clawed, mauled and otherwise brutalized. Success is success however and hard fought brings pride. But is Wurm Online fun? Find out in our official review!

Wurm Online is a throwback MMO that harkens to the days of the MUSH and the true sandbox environment. The world is mutable, the experience is entirely player-driven, and it is unashamedly unforgiving. Given the calibre and passion of a number of messages on this website, it might just be the perfect game for a number of you - that is if you can survive a savage butt-whipping by a disgruntled rabbit.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Wurm Online: The Official Wurm Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Those cons are enough to make me rate this game as a 1 across the board.  I couldn't stand this game past the first 10 minutes of gameplay with consisted of fumbling with my controls, UI and general wonder at what the hell I was supposed to do in this UGLY world in front of my eyes.

For the record, I like sandboxes, IF they have some modicum of direction or pinache.  

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

nice review.  If i wasn't so combat oriented I would definitely give it a shot.  Maybe I will anyway.

• HordernHordern Member Posts: 2

An enjoyable read.

To be open from the outset, I'm a WurmOnline GM and wanted to agree with more or less every point including the negatives - trading does indeed lack a certain polish, and animations are more or less non-existant. Having said that, a new animation system is being brought in as we type, and new character models with visible armour, animations and remakes of all the mobs will be coming in over the course of the next few months. If you run the unstable client with experiemental packs on, and come off the default 'no animations' and you're able to find a hen, you will see the first example of such that was implemented to test the system. Quite a staggering improvement. You can see snippets of what the team has been working on in this thread of the Wurmonline forums.

I also wanted to clarify payment for being a premium member, there are a variety of options, one of which is the 10 Euros for 1 month and 5 silver (the in-game currency) that you mentioned, but if you don't require any silver, you can also purchase 2 months for 10 Euros. Due to paypal charges etc there is not option for anything costing less than 10 Euros.

Hopefully you'll be able to add a postscript about graphics and animations in a few months time!

WurmOnline GM Epiphron

• ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

OMG Ninja Review!

I'm the server developer and I have to say I agree with the review but it's too early:) 

We just released a new graphics engine but we still haven't added the new models or character customization ack ack! We were planning on starting to make more noise once we've got the new models and animations in.

Nah, it's great really. Thanks loads. It's a good score and any explanation about what we do is positive.

We've tried to make Wurm have most of what we think an MMO should be.. huge, open, "Massive" compared to single player MMOs, full of personal adventures where even the smallest peasant should have impact on the world. Not to mention real heroes. 

So yeah, anyways. Graphics will shape up:) Luckily.

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

Good read. It makes me want to give it another shot!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I've always enjoyed Wurm and at times it's been a downright blast. There are some things that annoy me and I hope they get atention, but for the most part it's a great sandbox from some great folks.

I'm very thankful that this game exists, it's one of a kind!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The game has a ton of potential, BUT it is NOT worth my money until they put some kind of effort into character models and animations. It is absurd that any gamer would tolerate everyone having the same character model with no differentiation at all. 

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I've played this in early beta and sometime after it went p2p, but to be honest, I don't see this game ever becoming any more popular any longer. 

It's been 5 years since the official release now and it hasn't really changed that much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great and quite an original game, but it would never appeal to most MMO players today

Also, since the release of Minecraft, Wurm sort of fell into the abyss I think since Minecraft almost overnight success overshadowed any need for the development of Wurm. I'm sure Mohjang made more money in selling Minecraft than they have in years of trying to work on Wurm.

It appeals to a larger crowd too. Why bother building a house for days (Wurm) when it can be done in minutes (Minecraft)

It has the sandbox, but it also appeals to the less patient gamers with a short attention span. Therefore, the huge success.

Wurm on the other hand is a lot more complex, but also requires TONS more commitment and most importantly is not nearly as entertaining.

As for the combat, it's there and it's actually quite fun. Back in the days the Horde used to constantly attack, raid and destroy villages and there were quite a few big battles (less the special effects and the flashy animations hehe), but just in Darkfall, it took months to get to the point where you could kill anything worthy. I remember spending days trying to farm pumpkins so that I could build a training dummy, so that I could then spend weeks hitting said dummy and raise my fighting skill by like 10 points (out of a 100). 

All in all, it's a great sandbox game, but if you're anything like me, you'll just play Minecraft/Terraria when you need your sandbox fix hehe

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Nice review - great job - the fact that the GM and Server developer popped in and gave us the heads up on the new graphics = sub. I've tried the game a few times, but couldn't really get past the looks. The mechanics are awesome. The whole time I was reading the review, I was thinking - "if only the graphics were better" and "I wonder if it's even possible to add new models while keeping the same mechanics" - great answers and I'm super excited this is getting a make-over!

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Thanks for the review and the comments from Wurm's staff. I am an old player and I think am pretty interested in the graphics update.

• mop231mop231 Member Posts: 15

the game is quite nice altho without the premium you will be treated like someone worse... that was the last nail to the coffin in my case.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I'm very thankful that this game exists, it's one of a kind!

+1 to that - what Wurm tries to do, it does better than any other game in the genre at the moment.  

True, the game isn't as pretty or as polished as a title from one of the big names but I've played no other game which gives me so much freedom of choice and freedom to alter the game world.  Plus the dev team care more about making a good game than maximising profits at the expense of gameplay.

A solid vision of what the sandbox should be, true innovation, opportunities for emergent gameplay, no desire to nickel and dime or mislead the players and masses of freedom of choice.  These far outweigh any of the drawbacks in my mind.

• AetherwalkerAetherwalker Member Posts: 38

Don't forget that you don't have to pay a cent out of your own pocket for premium time if you really don't want to, you can buy premium time WITH IN GAME MONEY. That's right, you go and work for someone, helping them dig their plot or somesuch, they pay you, you pay for premium time, and now you have no skillcap without even touching your credit card. What other game offers that?

"Take my love, take my land,
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black,
    Tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea,
    You can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be,
    Since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me... "

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

People should do more research if they think this is a F2P game, unless you spend REAL money you can't own land and alot of other features are only avaiable to paying members which i get they gotta make money, just pointing out since some think this is a F2P game that it is only to a very small limit. No cash shop so either you pay the monthly fee or you play F2P and are basically like the landscape and trees to paying players.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Aetherwalker

Don't forget that you don't have to pay a cent out of your own pocket for premium time if you really don't want to, you can buy premium time WITH IN GAME MONEY. That's right, you go and work for someone, helping them dig their plot or somesuch, they pay you, you pay for premium time, and now you have no skillcap without even touching your credit card. What other game offers that?

Eve online.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

From my faint memories in the early years of wurm (5 years ago or so) it took *ages* to accomplish even the most basic goals (like crafting a log). This and an extremely sluggish graphic engine was what kept me (edit:) from playing. The graphical quality what so many seem to complain about was never my problem and as a special plus it keeps the tourists and morons away from the game. If it only wouldn't be so slow paced (and I can asure you, if I'm good in anything than it is patience) I would give it another shot. But I'm glad to hear the devs didn't went for the easy dime, something I was predicting from my early impressions.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Great reveiw. I am going to download this game and play it later now

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Originally posted by ronsson

OMG Ninja Review!

I'm the server developer and I have to say I agree with the review but it's too early:) 

We just released a new graphics engine but we still haven't added the new models or character customization ack ack! We were planning on starting to make more noise once we've got the new models and animations in.

Nah, it's great really. Thanks loads. It's a good score and any explanation about what we do is positive.

We've tried to make Wurm have most of what we think an MMO should be.. huge, open, "Massive" compared to single player MMOs, full of personal adventures where even the smallest peasant should have impact on the world. Not to mention real heroes. 

So yeah, anyways. Graphics will shape up:) Luckily.

I wouldn't worry too much.  The staff here tends to rereview games at regular intervals.

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69

The game is a borefest that requires hours, days, weeks, months, and sometimes years to see progress. Rolf is the only server developer so development is slow not counting the brainless updates he does that break ten other things or impacts years of work that he made useless in just the click of a button. This game is heavily still in development and should be considered a paid beta nothing more, nothing less.

The staff are not paid except for two people he finally did hire after several years of trying to get free work out of volunteers who receive no financial profit all the while Rolf pockets the bulk of profit which he now has to put towards two pay checks for his small crew who still rely on free help. I would steer clear of this game and find more polished mmo sandboxes out there.

The skill set is very basic and requires you to pump months of your free time in to one skill to accomplish another after you've gotten the one high enough to benefit the other with materials. The stuff you make is only useful to you the person making it as everyone else has the same skill and can make their own. Epic has a faster skill curve and people already have max skills in several things but that is a good example of why the game is losing players atm. Rolf even posted saying that he knows he's losing people but continues to blame it on other games and not his own short comings. http://www.wurmonline.com/blog/gamedev/roadmap-for-the-upcoming-weeks/ His failed vision for the game is the major blow that the game has taken recently and he's rushing other things to try and counter his losses like animations which the game does not have.

The game is strictly java based which is very laggy at times but all in all it runs good on a capable machine. Dual core specs even with a decent card will have trouble with framerate at full settings yet you can run games like crysis full settings without a glitch but wurm is a whole different animal, it seems really bloated at times e.g. resource hog.

I would advise people to play the game for free for a month and I think you can make a good assesment that the game is for you or not but do not have hopes for pvp or instant gratification as pvp requires the skill set and gear and those take a ungodly amount of time to acheive. The starting tutorial is a bore and there is no option to bypass it so be warned and prepared to spend 3 hours doing nothing but failing a lot and running through something that will make you want to pull your hair out in short order.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I think you are misreprensting and being harsh to Wurm Online. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I really liked Wurm.  I got the past the graphics and animations or lack there of....although when I played, a while ago, it was hard to be solo.  There were not many suitable places left to build, unless you wanted to search forever.  This was on the free server.  You kind of had to join a village, clan or w/e.  I think they have added more servers since then so it's probably not the case anymore. 

It is a 'hard' game, in the sense that accomplishing the smallest goal can be rewarding.  If you are looking for a sandbox/builder MMO and don't feel like plunking down money on Xsyon, I do recommend this game.  It is free (most of it as you know) and takes literally seconds to download. 

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94

I have been playing this game non-stop for almost a year now, it is the first game since Asheron's Call that I have really been able to get my HEART into.

If you need flashy modern graphics and special effects, or tons of polish, this is not the game for you. Yes, there are rough edges to this indie gem, and it still is not completely finished yet,  but  even unfinished it has more SOUL than any other game I've played since AC1.

If you want a true immersive sandbox, with room for both PvE and PvP crowds, there is really no other game on the market today even close to Wurm Online.

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by nkitz

.... I would steer clear of this game and find more polished mmo sandboxes out there.

What would those be?

I'd love to have an alternative, as it is though, discounting Eve which I can't seem to play more than 4 months at a time there aren't any other sandbox mmo's, everything made today is a WoW clone, I've played enough WoW, I have SWTOR now which is more of the same but it's fun while it's new, but as far as sandboxes I only have Salem to look forward to and EVE to play.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I plan to give this a try.

Thanks for the review.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I gave ti a shot years back, and while I am USUALY the last person to grype about graphics(or the lack of) and visuals, in wrum it just was too much... the figures moving around by sliding along the ground, watching combat in a text window, etc, annoyed me. I would have stuck with the game if even the very basic animations were there.

So with the new update coming and the advances you guys are finally starting to do(Took u long enough, would have thought in the 10 years between then and now, at least ONE of you would have taught yourself a little about animation by now :P)

I wish u guys the VERY best of luck and hope u can get the visuals a little closer to 7's :P About all the other points, have to agree, its a very 'intresting' world where you can affect anything you can see. I am guessing, at this time, only wurm can say it does that.

Good job so far guys, and good luck on the 'pretties' and I will give it another try in a while.