Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open world type - not like SWTOR/WoW etc

sjarewinsjarewin Member Posts: 12

Hi..

Ive played WoW for 5 years, had a good time, but i think im more into a "open World type of game".

I dont know how to explain it, but i miss a  game where i can explore caves ive found, where you are actually interested in exploring the area you're in etc.

Stopping in the landscape because of the nice graphics.

What i dont want is another themepark MMO like my recently SWTOR run.

Am i dreaming or what game suits me the most?

Comments

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

Lineage 2.

Seemless world, enormous areas, a lot of hidden, beautiful spots.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

There are a few out there..

I guess the one you could get into the quickest would be Vanguard.

other open world games include

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Xsyon

These are more for your hardcore PVP players as they are full loot games so if you die you drop everything.

There are probally a lot more out there but i think vanguard would be the best choice, problem with vanguard is that there are not many people playing it these days, but i believe there is a free trial anyway.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by sjarewin

Hi..

Ive played WoW for 5 years, had a good time, but i think im more into a "open World type of game".

I dont know how to explain it, but i miss a  game where i can explore caves ive found, where you are actually interested in exploring the area you're in etc.

If you think about the kind of exploration/immersion like Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind, that MMO doesn't exist yet.

If you are just thinking seamless world, i guess Darkfall or Fallen Earth maybe, graphics wise AoC.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Ever quest 2 or Lineage 2 or Perfect World. PW isn't the most realistic but I tell you with the music on, you will enjoy exploring.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Freemium games

LOTRO

-huge areas

-tons of explorable areas, most of which have hidden quests/areas/mobs/bosses

-gorgeous beyond measure

-lots of players

I often can't wait to climb the nearest hill just to see what lies ahead and try to find cool areas to explore. Sometimes you find a chest with goodies, sometimes you find a named mob, other times a quest. The distance that needs to be traveled can be a hindrance though.

P2P

Vanguard would come close, but it's empty player wise and is designed to be a group based game, so it's very difficult to solo with most classes and close to impossible at higher levels. it's also emptier this month than ever, it seems like only a few dozen people play this full time now. 

If you're ok playing alone then Vanguard is definitely great too. It has no instances at all and tons of places to see.

Darkfall has tons of explorable areas and can be a great PVE game if you're solo or have friends to start with you. Unfortunately, it fails at PVP because unless you grind your skills for months, you'll never be competitive enough compared to other players. So you will literally be forced to run away from all the "red" players because they'll kill you in 2-3 shots and steal all your best stuff.

Both Vanguard and Darkfall are worth trying though because they have trial and because they're quite awesome for explorers. 

PS I don't know why Lineage 2 was put here because neither it is "open" nor does it have good controls for a WoW player. It will feel horrible for someone used to WASD controls and all the constant teleportation back and forth is pretty weird too.

Everquest 2 is an instanced game with zones that you can teleport to, so I don't think that's what the OP was asking for either. I personally can't stand EQ2 because of this since it doesn't feel like a world, it feels like levels stitched together with a load screen and random mobs walking back and forth here and there. Also the F2p model that they are using is very limited and you'll feel very gimped until you spend a few bucks on bag unlocks and other minor things.

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by lalartu

Freemium games

LOTRO

-huge areas

-tons of explorable areas, most of which have hidden quests/areas/mobs/bosses

-gorgeous beyond measure

-lots of players

I often can't wait to climb the nearest hill just to see what lies ahead and try to find cool areas to explore. Sometimes you find a chest with goodies, sometimes you find a named mob, other times a quest. The distance that needs to be traveled can be a hindrance though.

P2P

Vanguard would come close, but it's empty player wise and is designed to be a group based game, so it's very difficult to solo with most classes and close to impossible at higher levels. it's also emptier this month than ever, it seems like only a few dozen people play this full time now. 

If you're ok playing alone then Vanguard is definitely great too. It has no instances at all and tons of places to see.

Darkfall has tons of explorable areas and can be a great PVE game if you're solo or have friends to start with you. Unfortunately, it fails at PVP because unless you grind your skills for months, you'll never be competitive enough compared to other players. So you will literally be forced to run away from all the "red" players because they'll kill you in 2-3 shots and steal all your best stuff.

Both Vanguard and Darkfall are worth trying though because they have trial and because they're quite awesome for explorers. 

PS I don't know why Lineage 2 was put here because neither it is "open" nor does it have good controls for a WoW player. It will feel horrible for someone used to WASD controls and all the constant teleportation back and forth is pretty weird too.

Everquest 2 is an instanced game with zones that you can teleport to, so I don't think that's what the OP was asking for either. I personally can't stand EQ2 because of this since it doesn't feel like a world, it feels like levels stitched together with a load screen and random mobs walking back and forth here and there. Also the F2p model that they are using is very limited and you'll feel very gimped until you spend a few bucks on bag unlocks and other minor things.

"PS I don't know why Lineage 2 was put here because neither it is "open" nor does it have good controls for a WoW player. It will feel horrible for someone used to WASD controls and all the constant teleportation back and forth is pretty weird too.

Everquest 2 is an instanced game with zones that you can teleport to, so I don't think that's what the OP was asking for either. I personally can't stand EQ2 because of this since it doesn't feel like a world, it feels like levels stitched together with a load screen and random mobs walking back and forth here and there. Also the F2p model that they are using is very limited and you'll feel very gimped until you spend a few bucks on bag unlocks and other minor things."

I couldnt disagree with you anymore if I even wanted to.  L2 and EQ2 are two great examples of what OP is looking for.  I played wow, L2 and EQ 2, and the issues the OP had with wow are not issues with EQ 2 or L2.  NOT AT ALL.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lineage 2 is has always been open world. There is a video on you tube where some guy just walkes around the map exploring and showing how open the game is. Also Everquest 2 is not instanced. LOL

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

There a plenty of games out there with large open worlds. I know you'll be able to run a lot in Korean grinders like Archlord and Rohan Blood Feud. However they are grind heavy, and I doubt the open world will offset the grind, but there's plenty of places to go even if it may start feeling empty after a while.

imageimage
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by sjarewin

Hi..

Asheron's Call is something you might enjoy. It deviates enough from the run of the mill mainstream MMO to be refreshingly different and it has a massive world of places to explore and discover. With 12 years of regular updates under its belt, it should keep you busy for a while.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Mannish

Lineage 2 is has always been open world. There is a video on you tube where some guy just walkes around the map exploring and showing how open the game is. Also Everquest 2 is not instanced. LOL

Everquest 2 IS instanced.  Every zone is an instance and doesn't run seemlessly into each other, EVER.  Even the zones themselves are instanced to accomodate large amounts of players.  I remember the days of switching from Antonica 1 to Antonica 2.  Can't get any more instanced then that.

I'm surprised OP that you don't think WoW is open world, I explored Azeroth quite a bit the same way I explored LOTRO.  For themeparks, they do a pretty good job of having an open world feel.  

Now Vanguard on the other hand, THAT is a truly open world MMO, same with Darkfall Online.  

Asheron's Call is something you might enjoy. It deviates enough from the run of the mill mainstream MMO to be refreshingly different and it has a massive world of places to explore and discover. With 12 years of regular updates under its belt, it should keep you busy for a while.

I always see this posted about AC, yet when I go play it, it's horrible controls, character feedback, UI and graphics make me wonder about comments like this.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by elocke

I always see this posted about AC, yet when I go play it, it's horrible controls, character feedback, UI and graphics make me wonder about comments like this.

Intersting comment about the controls, as most praise it for its responsive twitch gaming. The graphics are definitely dated, though, so if graphics are more important than gameplay I can understand your issue with them. Like Diablo 2, the graphics of AC one usually quickly gets past once they are an hour or so into it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Brodter

Ever quest 2 or Lineage 2 or Perfect World. PW isn't the most realistic but I tell you with the music on, you will enjoy exploring.

EQ2 is far from an open world. You zone in that game.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Intersting comment about the controls, as most praise it for its responsive twitch gaming. The graphics are definitely dated, though, so if graphics are more important than gameplay I can understand your issue with them. Like Diablo 2, the graphics of AC one usually quickly gets past once they are an hour or so into it.

I think graphics should be on par with gameplay not better or worse.  I can't play diablo 1 either because it IS dated and old.  Same with games I loved growing up, like Zelda, Dragon Warrior, first few final fantasies.  Tried to play them recently and just wasn't pulled in, not because of the gameplay which is fine, but because the graphics aren't immersive anymore in this modern era.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think graphics should be on par with gameplay not better or worse.  I can't play diablo 1 either because it IS dated and old.  Same with games I loved growing up, like Zelda, Dragon Warrior, first few final fantasies.  Tried to play them recently and just wasn't pulled in, not because of the gameplay which is fine, but because the graphics aren't immersive anymore in this modern era.

Everyone is different i guess because i'd love to see blizzard going back to pre-rendered graphics with D3 instead of their low-poly low texture 3D WoW looks.

I still play D1/2 from time to time, same with Baldurs Gate, Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment etc.

Those games have a charm no other game beyond the elder scrolls/F3 captured for me with poly graphics.

They are by no means bad looking games at all.