Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: En Masse Responds to NCSoft Lawsuit

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After originally stating that En Masse would refrain from commentary regarding the TERA lawsuit filed by NCSoft, Publishing Vice President Chris Lee has been quoted on the official forums summarily dismissing the allegations...and saying that the company would refrain from further commentary.

"We are disappointed that NCsoft is attempting to mar the launch of TERA. Unfortunately we can't discuss much publicly due to the sensitivity of legal actions, but we do outright reject the NCsoft claims, and we are going to do everything in our power to defend and protect ourselves.

To all our supporters who have been anticipating the arrival of TERA – please know that this situation has no impact on our continuing efforts to realize the vision we have for our game. We are committed to making TERA awesome and delivering the game to you on time on May 1. Thank you for your patience and support."

Source: Massively

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Good luck

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Only a duel to the death by pistols at dawn can truly resolve this situation. It is demanded.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by nyxium

Only a duel to the death by pistols at dawn can truly resolve this situation. It is demanded.

I think they should play a match of unreal tournament to see who wins this

See what I did there?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

To all our supporters who have been anticipating the arrival of TERA – please know that this situation has no impact on our continuing efforts to realize the vision we have for our game.

they stole the code, lost case in korea and still calling tera thier game?

:D

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Originally posted by dinams

See what I did there?

No rematches!

• LetysonLetyson Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by saurus123

To all our supporters who have been anticipating the arrival of TERA – please know that this situation has no impact on our continuing efforts to realize the vision we have for our game.

Sure if it's possible to steal your own work, then I guess they stole it...

I know they were under NCsoft payment, but these type of legal questions are so stupid since they can't really unlearn their own vision for a new project. Sure they lost the case in Korea, but they basically payed NCsoft a large amount of money, so there shouldn't be a problem.. NCsoft are just being D's now for doing this close to launch.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by dinams

See what I did there?

You're clever today ;)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

This is like Tabula Rasa all over again. This game sounds like it's doomed to become vapourware, the more I hear about this lawsuit.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Letyson

I know they were under NCsoft payment, but these type of legal questions are so stupid since they can't really unlearn their own vision for a new project. Sure they lost the case in Korea, but they basically payed NCsoft a large amount of money, so there shouldn't be a problem.. NCsoft are just being D's now for doing this close to launch.

Obviously you need to read what happened. BHS and EME are in the wrong here. Simple as that.

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90

And how exactly was NCSoft supposted to take a claim to US courts before EME made a offical move to launch in the US (i.e. a launch date for release)?  Considering they only just recently posted a release date NCSoft acted pretty quickly.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I was wondering when this issue would raise its' head.  NA's laws on this matter are much more stringent and they have already given in on the suit filed in Korea. I don't know that double jeopardy could even possibly count.

NCSoft is really just bleeding these guys now.

Would be funny if TERA came here and was a breakout hit given how Aion has done.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Hey Letyson, I don't think you realize how this stuff works.

When you are hired by a company you sign contracts that stated that anything you create using company tools, money or anything you create on company time belongs to that company.

Sometimes companies also have employees sign a non-compete agreement.

So sure, one can't unlearn what one learns while at a company but once you are no longer part of that company you must apply what you learn in a way that doesn't infringe on what you created at that company.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I honestly could care less about what NCSoft thinks. Their games are never that good except Guild Wars 2. I wonder if Tera's release date has anything to do with the fact with Guild Wars 2's release plans. Interesting at best I think.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Sector13

Obviously you need to read what happened. BHS and EME are in the wrong here. Simple as that.

I know very well what happen, but this goes beyond money and reason. They are just doing this now to get payback when they left the company to start with. NCsoft have had all the time to take this case up, and they decide to do it now, and for what?

If NCsoft wins they can just sit back then and say: "Awesome, that was great we made them loose this case, now they can't release their game because it's our material, now we'll have no worries when we release Guild Wars 2"

... ye great, thx NCsoft, you sure did need that 

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

I know very well what happen, but this goes beyond money and reason. They are just doing this now to get payback when they left the company to start with. NCsoft have had all the time to take this case up, and they decide to do it now, and for what?

If NCsoft wins they can just sit back then and say: "Awesome, that was great we made them loose this case, now they can't release their game because it's our material, now we'll have no worries when we release Guild Wars 2"

... ye great, thx NCsoft, you sure did need that 

They didnt sue just now, NC and BHS are in court for years already

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You know what would be bad? If they hired some people who inserted the L3 source code into Tera without telling anyone. They got the jobs because they could produce code, and instead of producing it, they copied it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Hey Letyson, I don't think you realize how this stuff works.

When you are hired by a company you sign contracts that stated that anything you create using company tools, money or anything you create on company time belongs to that company.

Sometimes companies also have employees sign a non-compete agreement.

So sure, one can't unlearn what one learns while at a company but once you are no longer part of that company you must apply what you learn in a way that doesn't infringe on what you created at that company.

Yes I know that, but that doesn't mean I actually agree on it.

Coding  and ideas are like craftsmanship, no matter how much you restrict yourself will you keep finding small similarities here and there. I know that BHS and EME have a bad case here, and I know that through court procedures NCsoft have all the right to claim their stuff since they were paying the people and they were under contract.

I just feel like this could hurt us who are waiting for Tera, just because NCsoft wants to be "right" D:

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

GW2 is b2p. tera, most likely is p2p, i really couldnt see the competition that tera will have against gw2.

Someone in the official forum , and here, did say that BH is not allow to publish the game any further, but i dont know why NC didnt stop them from publishing in Jap.

RIP Orc Choppa

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

every country has different laws.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

They've paid NC nothing.  The damage portion of the award was struck down by an Appellate court in Korea.  The matter is still before the courts in Korea - even though the game has launched there.

Originally posted by Eliandal

They've paid NC nothing.  The damage portion of the award was struck down by an Appellate court in Korea.  The matter is still before the courts in Korea - even though the game has launched there.

Alright then I guess that site I read have been giving me misleading info. If the matter is still going on in Korea, that just makes this even more stupid. I don't understand how they would be able to release the game then in korea, but I suppose they have funny laws there.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Did you read the actual legal document?  It doesn't even say anything about code.  What they're being accused of stealing is more conceptual.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Vhaln

Did you read the actual legal document?  It doesn't even say anything about code.  What they're being accused of stealing is more conceptual.. and that's ridiculous.

Did you read the fact that they already lost the court battle in SK? Doesn't matter what you think is ridiculous or not. Simple facts are simple. They know what they did was wrong, did it anyway, lost the court case and kept going with it anyway. Don't blame NCsoft, blame BHS and EME for it. They knew, they didn't care.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Vhaln

Did you read the actual legal document?  It doesn't even say anything about code.  What they're being accused of stealing is more conceptual.. and that's ridiculous.

Did you read the fact that they already lost the court battle in SK? Doesn't matter what you think is ridiculous or not. Simple facts are simple. They know what they did was wrong, did it anyway, lost the court case and kept going with it anyway. Don't blame NCsoft, blame BHS and EME for it. They knew, they didn't care.

Ok, I'll take back the opinion about it being ridiculous, but why so riled up about it?  You seem awfully aggressive about your stance, there...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.