Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMORPGs ever made

Comments

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365
    Mortal Online, nothing else is even close to being as terrible as that game.

StarI, why do you call people who do not like something a "hater"? Would you use the term "hater" to describe someone who didn't like Stalin for example? Or do you just use the term to attack people who disagree with a position in which you hold a vested interest?

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

On the other hand, I played other games far, far longer than they deserved, often because of their soundtracks.  Final Fantasy XI and Ragnarok Online immediately come to mind.  What they lacked in gameplay, they made up for in soundtrack.  I could probably play the world's most awful video game all day long with the right music playing.

Either way, no, the music in Vanguard was absolutely, totally awful.  The other things could maybe be debated, but that one, definitely not.

Haha, I agree about sticking around a little longer due to the sound track because I also did that with Ragnarok Online. I love that OST.

Originally posted by Zolgar

Originally posted by dannydeuce

A friend introduced me to Furcadia while playing another game. 

I can't explain in words the awkwardness I felt walking around that world.  That game is not in my comfort zone and actually made me feel awkward while playing a game online.  This was back in 2001-2002ish mind you so who knows what id feel now.

So yeah, Furcadia takes the cake for me...regardless of its debated mmo-ness.

Don't pretend like you didn't enjoy hanging out in the FurN. ;D

I never even heard of Furcadia......and by all the comments I am sort of glad that I haven't. 

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

I wouldn't even count Furcadia as an MMO. It's basically just IMVU for furries. Although, it is an excellent game if you're a horny teenager looking to do some kinky roleplay.

Originally posted by Pharkas Haha, I agree about sticking around a little longer due to the sound track because I also did that with Ragnarok Online. I love that OST.

Are you talking about the first Ragnarok or the second? Because the second one has a great soundtrack as well!

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

FF14

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

If we're just talking P2P games, any list that does not contain Horizons is just incorrect.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Betel

StarI, why do you call people who do not like something a "hater"? Would you use the term "hater" to describe someone who didn't like Stalin for example? Or do you just use the term to attack people who disagree with a position in which you hold a vested interest?

Because you don't have to be Sherlock to distinct between somone who is fueld by hate or somone simply giving out constructive criticism while being open to changes.

• aodoineaodoine Member Posts: 24

What about ShadowBane? For those who think crashing and bugs and exlpoits is or was an issue in their game have missed the ALPHA-BETA and then the so-called release of the game.

We went through so many roll backs sometime 3x a day because they couldn't figure why there was so many exploits or new bugs...

One exploit  which was really 1337 at the time was the giant ants train. You were able to pull the giant ants back to main cities have the guards killed by them and the AFK players and loot everyone from that...

If you think that SWTOR is bad you haven't seen anything.

/crybabies aren't born for MMOs!  

Originally posted by Superfluous

I wouldn't even count Furcadia as an MMO. It's basically just IMVU for furries. Although, it is an excellent game if you're a horny teenager looking to do some kinky roleplay.

Originally posted by Pharkas Haha, I agree about sticking around a little longer due to the sound track because I also did that with Ragnarok Online. I love that OST.

Are you talking about the first Ragnarok or the second? Because the second one has a great soundtrack as well!

I was talking about the first RO. I haven't played the second one. I should check it out.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

probably not the worst ever made as ive avoided  these cheap item shop mmos

but the worst i have played - RIFT

just the massive feeling of "been there done this before", plus the worst PVP i have ever played, even worse than wow.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Zippy

Anarchy Online the actual game was not bad if one could suffer through launch.  Literally this is what launch was like.  Log into Tir, crash, log back in walk 10 feet towards the quest giver, keep crashing until you eventually got the quest for the mission, then walk across Tir to the instance crashing over and over.  Usually it would take 45 minutes to an hout to walk 30 seconds across the town with crashes.

-----

Oh man. AO at launch was HORRIBLE. The memory leaks in that game were so bad that I was literally getting 0.1 - 0.2 FPS at the time. I could walk three steps in Tir, turn the corner, then get up from my computer, make a sandwich, watch a TV show while I ate, then come back and MAYBE my character will have moved.

Zoning into or out of Tir? Forget it. Might as well go watch more TV and eat. It was terrible. I think Funcom actually suspended billing right away and then ended up going F2P soon after that.

WWII Online I never played it.  But i have heard from many people it had the worst launch ever.  In fact I think the launch was so bad that they  closed it down after launch and sent it back to beta .  Sort of like what they did with Mourning minus the banruptcy and ndver reopenning.

----

Trust me. You didn't miss anything. The launch was horrendous. The less said about it the better.

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

The worst I have played has to be MapleStory.

Anyone who has played the game until endgame raiding and "PvP" (Latency Contest) will know what I mean by this. I literally spend $3,000 in the item mall and didn't even get a tenth of the way to having all the gear (I had everything you could get outside the Item Mall too). It gets worse by the day with all the hacks and more expensive item mall items too.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by kakasaki
    In order:
    4) Irth: Unfinished mess. Was this ever a game?
    3) Xsyon: I know some enjoy it but I call it an unfinished mess with not much to do.
    2)Mortal Online: Buggy, unpolished game full of potential but empty on delivery.
     and number one.....

The ponzi scheme known as Dark & Light. A craptastic POS whose dev was more carnival barker than competent game designer. 

I actually tried to play Irth in the beta. The framerate was atrocious and unplayable.

[EDIT]

Originally posted by Brodter
    I don't think people should be listing games like SWTOR and FF14. SWTOR is still in its infancy. Its basically still in beta stages.
    SW:TOR is released. It is a finished product to be judged as such. People are now paying to play the game monthly. Beta is for PRE-release, not post. If you think it plays like it is still in beta, that tells quite a bit about the game.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

From a purely technical standpoint the worst mmo I  own would be xsyon with MO close behind.

From a enjoyment perspective IE the game I bought and have spent the least amount of time playing would be DCUO SWToR and Rift closely tied (didn't even play the entire first month).

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

After taking into consideration many things, including the resources available to the company.   Without any doubt and by a huge margin, FF14.

In second place, Auto Assault.   Its not around anymore for a reason.

< Double Post >

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by kakasaki

In order:

4) Irth: Unfinished mess. Was this ever a game?

3) Xsyon: I know some enjoy it but I call it an unfinished mess with not much to do.

2)Mortal Online: Buggy, unpolished game full of potential but empty on delivery.

and number one.....

The ponzi scheme known as Dark & Light. A craptastic POS whose dev was more carnival barker than competent game designer. 

I actually tried to play Irth in the beta. The framerate was atrocious and unplayable.

[EDIT]

Originally posted by Brodter

I don't think people should be listing games like SWTOR and FF14. SWTOR is still in its infancy. Its basically still in beta stages.

SW:TOR is released. It is a finished product to be judged as such. People are now paying to play the game monthly. Beta is for PRE-release, not post. If you think it plays like it is still in beta, that tells quite a bit about the game.

While there are issues with SW:TOR (as there are with all games) its  a lot more polished, enjoyable, has more content, etc than a lot of games at release.  I would disagree with anyone stating it as the worst.  Not to their taste, ok, but worst mmo ever is a complete joke.

Now FF14 is another matter.  It should never have been released, and is still extremely subpar a year on.  Seen better games during stage 1 closed betas.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Interesting thread.  In my analysis, I try to avoid any relatively new games (RIFT, SWTOR, any others I can't think of at the moment)  The problem is that I am to close to the issue.  When you are too close to an issue, you lose a certain amount of perspecttive.  Having said that, I would say SWTOR... Just kidding.  I would have to say a game called.  Bah, I wanna say Origins, but all I can find is a new game called Origins. I would swear that there was an earrly MMO with that name also.  I can't remember, but that game I can't remember that I think had a name similar to Origins, but isn't is the one that  was the worst I think if I'm not misremembering this mysterious game. :)

I self identify as a monkey.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by arieste

Dark and Light

This, there is absolutely no other game where the developers actually intended to SCAM the players, and not produce a real game. 

I mean they even made the game on an international Island thats exempt from prosecution.

All other game mentions PALE in comparison to how this game was made, executed, then portrayed to the players.

Lolipops !

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

Wow, 53 posts before the first "your opinion is wrong" reply.  Not too bad actually.  I would have bet it wouldn't get past 10.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

SWTOR

Most of the bad games mentioned in this thread at least had something going for them, if only say a huge world or race diversity.

Swtor has nothing mmorpg about it. I don't say it's necessarily a bad game, as it's a good singleplayer/coop game. But as an mmorpg it fails all along the line.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i can only vote for a mmo i felt was highly anticipated and delivered far less then it promised so i go with horizons and dark and light.

There are far worse indie games out there though.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'd have to say Rift. The severe linear quest hub system was over the top for me, just horrid. Started in beta 1 and only made it 15 minutes into beta 2 before I couldn't stomach logging back in.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Whats strange is that everyone on this forum who picked a worst game hasn't had a warning from MMORPG because I get them when I say I don't like something about a game.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

DnL, I learned never ever pre-order again and cancelled the credit card I used to pre-order it.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.