Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: RTSGuru.com: Why Was Blizzcon 2012 Really Cancelled?

2»

Comments

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

THis sad panda will miss the live PVP videos =(

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

I tend to agree that it's mostly because they don't really have anything to announce. Things have not been going so great as of late and Activi$ion wants to squeeze out every dollar they can. They put on the show at a loss for fans to enjoy and I doubt that's something that makes Kotiick get the warm fuzzies spending money on.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I see more positive than negative attitude towards blizzard. I like the ideas people seem to be completely against. I still think they just cancelled it because of no news to announce. I mean you cannot center an entire convention around stuff people already know most of the information about. Titan could be the centerpiece but if they aren't ready to announce things about that then what's left? Diablo 3, which we have plenty of information about, and people have played it already? Starcrafts next expansion that is more of the same thing? Or WoW's expansion that is pretty much all announced as well? They have nothing else left to comment about or boast to the public about, it's all released. That is why I think the convention isn't happening this year.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

They do have their plate full with trying to release 3 games this year. As well there's not really anything new to introduce this year.

Not sure why they would lie, and the notion that they have a bad rep right now is comical. People who read forum trolls, fanboys, haters and think it's a true sample size of all gamers out there are foolish.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

It's actually pretty obvious to me.  Blizzard knows they cannot expand any further in North America.  Having Blizzcon will add nothing to their subscriptions or their sales.  Basically when D3 comes out they'll sell the exact same amount.  However if they host two big tournaments in asia they'll capture a large share of that market.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

They are so tight lipped about Titan. Makes me think it might actually be a sandbox.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

My vote is that Blizzard finally realised what a snakepit of sycophantic nerds and obsessive compulsive haters their fanbase has devolved into and just couldn't be arsed to be in the same room again with them this year.

Well that or their clone army of real live Pandarian Stormtroopers isn't going to be ready in time. image

/SARCASM OFF

All I can say is good. I'd rather a company spend its best effort building worthwhile products rather than wasting it on these little dog and pony shows of self aggrandisement. The multitude know who Blizzard is and their fans are awating their new games on tenterhooks. There is no need for them to take valuable time off to whip an already frienzied crowd to new heights of pants wetting anticipation.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Not many companies have the opportunity to have fans pay for a weekend of promoting its products.  For them to give that up, maybe they really didn't want the hassle this year and want to focus on other projects. 

Once MoP is released (and everyone talking trash about pandas has one leveled to 90), Blizzard will host another Blizzcon to promote new products (with grateful fans ready to foot the bill).

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I'm not one for conspiracys but quite frankly I doubt it being cancelled because of Blizzard having a lot on its plate this year is the whole truth . Think about it if it really is that full then if your a company as big as Blizzard it would pay you to have a convention because if nothing else its dam good advertising .

I think its more to do with an internal power struggle within the company itself and maybe a lot of pressure from investors seeing diminishing returns .

I expect to see big changes at the top in Blizzard this year as heads roll over losses to WoE .

Not everyone in the company must be so arrogant and self absorbed not to notice the negative backlash MoP has had since it was announced .

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor
    I'm not one for conspiracys but quite frankly I doubt it being cancelled because of Blizzard having a lot on its plate this year is the whole truth . Think about it if it really is that full then if your a company as big as Blizzard it would pay you to have a convention because if nothing else its dam good advertising .I think its more to do with an internal power struggle within the company itself and maybe a lot of pressure from investors seeing diminishing returns .I expect to see big changes at the top in Blizzard this year as heads roll over losses to WoE .Not everyone in the company must be so arrogant and self absorbed not to notice the negative backlash MoP has had since it was announced .

I honestly think more has been positive. There's been a large number wanting the monk and pandarin in since beta.

I think their excuse is reasonable enough. All game companies are running on fewer people and with less liquid income. There's enough conventions in a year for Activision and Blizzard to make a presence still similar to Blizzcon, and they don't have to hire Nickleback or anyone to headline it.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

Blizzard's end is nigh. Activision is slowly draining the life from this once-stellar company. It's only a matter of time before Kotick and Co. strip mine Blizzard and farm off the IP's. Expect an exodus of employees in 2012 or 2013.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think as above it my be because they have nothing new to show. For sure there is more to it than they are saying, that's pretty obvious.  

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

They say back in 2013 but I'm willing to bet (no real money, sorry) that it's going to be Battle.Net Tournament's all the way only from now on.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I'm not one for conspiracys but quite frankly I doubt it being cancelled because of Blizzard having a lot on its plate this year is the whole truth . Think about it if it really is that full then if your a company as big as Blizzard it would pay you to have a convention because if nothing else its dam good advertising .

I agree and that's what came to my mind after reading the write up.

• BlameTheBirdBlameTheBird Member Posts: 1

Yeah, just like some people felt they didn't have time to go to school and learn to spell because THEY felt they were entitled to that.