Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars the old republic (one word) FAIL

Comments

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120

Well im proberly going to play both.

GW2 Looks fun with the Events and stuff, and self leveling in stuff. Only issue is the UI that doesnt look very good :(

I just got to lvl 34 with my sith warrior on act II, wich i really dont like. Not as mush as actI. So im in no hurry with the game, just haveing fun with it. IM only haveing trouble to find a guild, so if someone is on Nightnare Lands, send me a message :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Corehaven

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

Less a defense and more a "Where have you been?"  The PvP isn't good. No one who paid any attention expected it to be. They can do a few things to make it a bit better like fix the bugs but it's never going to be good. The concept is all wrong. It's like complaining Paula Dean can't play baskeball for beans.

Except Paula Dean, whoever she is, probably never claimed to be able to play basketball where as Bioware promoters boasted alot about how nice the PvP in SW:TOR will be. Even claiming they had people from WAR working on it, like that would be seen as a positive thing, LOL

So they told you something  no one believed and now you're telling us it's not true? Why?

Who said no one believed it? I did not personally believe, because I generally dont trust major game publishers, it but I am sure alot of fans did.

You are trying to spin it in such a way that it is the customers fault for Bioware releasing sub-par PvP because they never were supposed to. But if they were never supposed to then why did they say they would?

That is a rethorical question btw...

I'm equally sure no one can honestly say they believed the game would be anything other that what it is. Who would be that gullible? That is a rethorical question btw...

So anyone who before hand thought that an MMORPG Star Wars game with Sith and Jedi would have crappy PvP are gullible? Right... hindsight is so nice to use in an argument.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Clerigo

People saying that a MMORPG doesnt need to be PvP centric always make me image

Sure you can have a highly amount of PvE content to rinse with other players, and it has been a common practice to fill end game content with PvE raids, dungeons, instances, whatever so people can burn the clock hours and hours and hours doing the same thing over and over and over for some gear or whatever...

...but claiming that a genre where the acronym begins with "massive multi-player online" doesnt need to be PvP centric is a bit foolish...

...stating that PvP doesnt need to be as good as PvE content, or at least a big part of an mmo, is mind-blowing...

Why would be that most mmorpgs recent launches always bring 2 or more opposing factions to its design? Why not play with all factions against the cute npcs foes?? Is that not fun....

Co-op mode is multiplayer as well. I think that more MMOs should actually put some work into PvP but not all actually needs it.

MMORPGs are after all based on pen and paper RPGs and PvP is rare in those.

However if you add PvP it should be good, not something you add as an afterthought. The standard MMO mechanics were made for PvE, not PvE. That is why the trinity combat mechanics are as it is and that is why PvE and PvE combat is so different in most MMOs.

There is a reason most MMO players prefer PvE and that isn´t that they are care bears but that the standard MMO PvP suck. 

I agree with everything you wrote. But that for me just helps to build the strong idea that, with all the money spent in SWTOR, one is left to wonder if any money was put in the effort to develop both PvE and PvP design and mechanics.

For me and mmorpg is the combination of these 2 designs, both PvE and PvP should work and encompass together the games lore, and in many cases both walk towards end game content. I am not judging people that only like the pve or the pvp aspects of the game, that is a matter of taste and as such meant to be judged individually by the person playing it, but i am asking how could any of those aspects be forgoten in a AAA game like this one?

I can only ask this: would a great mmorpg focused on PvE content or one in PvP content achieve equal greatness as one that would excel in both PvE and PvP? Ofc not.

SWTOR was made under a big budget. Sure they have put alot of effort on quest cosmetics and character story driven eye candy, and for all i have read they have done it very well, but if they are lacking in PvP design one cant just simply dismiss that fact saying that it is not a PvP centric game and everything that revolves around it is just a bonus.

I am not hating on this game, i am merely judging it by what it offers, and to be honest this game doesnt deserve the critical acclaim it has been given to it. Maybe in the near future Bio can proves us wrong, but for now it is just a mess.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Prepare to get a dozen replys about Swtor not being a PvP centric game.  That seems to be the common defence. 

Less a defense and more a "Where have you been?"  The PvP isn't good. No one who paid any attention expected it to be. They can do a few things to make it a bit better like fix the bugs but it's never going to be good. The concept is all wrong. It's like complaining Paula Dean can't play baskeball for beans.

Except Paula Dean, whoever she is, probably never claimed to be able to play basketball where as Bioware promoters boasted alot about how nice the PvP in SW:TOR will be. Even claiming they had people from WAR working on it, like that would be seen as a positive thing, LOL

So they told you something  no one believed and now you're telling us it's not true? Why?

Who said no one believed it? I did not personally believe, because I generally dont trust major game publishers, it but I am sure alot of fans did.

You are trying to spin it in such a way that it is the customers fault for Bioware releasing sub-par PvP because they never were supposed to. But if they were never supposed to then why did they say they would?

That is a rethorical question btw...

I'm equally sure no one can honestly say they believed the game would be anything other that what it is. Who would be that gullible? That is a rethorical question btw...

So anyone who before hand thought that an MMORPG Star Wars game with Sith and Jedi would have crappy PvP are gullible? Right... hindsight is so nice to use in an argument.

this.  Quite frankly I am growing tired with game companies making 2 "warring," opposing factions, that supposedly hate each other and cant group/chat/guild each other and then offer no solid form of pvp conflict and even make over 1/2 their servers PvE.  WHY ARE THEIR 2 FACTIONS ?  wow did this, EQ2, swtor, RIFT does it.  Original EQ had it right, anyone can party/chat/guild, but the background is there for racial tensions in game.  it is time for game companies to stop makign 2 faction MMOs set within primarily a pve game.   just goes to show how cookie-cutter the whole model is for swtor.  bioware brought nothing new to the table.  VO was in EQ2...all bioware did was take to to obscene levels.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Onomas

Some people just like these easy console style dumbed down mmorpg's.

thats funny since the only real console mmo out right now is FF11, which is pretty hardcore for an mmo, nice try though, you failed miserable but nice try.

Now what does this game play like, oh ya like a shit ton of pc mmos that came out, huh funny how that works, apparenly its a dumbed down console stytle mmo yet it plays like hundreds of pc mmos....

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by warmaster670

thats funny since the only real console mmo out right now is FF11, which is pretty hardcore for an mmo, nice try though, you failed miserable but nice try.

Now what does this game play like, oh ya like a shit ton of pc mmos that came out, huh funny how that works, apparenly its a dumbed down console stytle mmo yet it plays like hundreds of pc mmos....

I am pretty sure he meant console style MMOs as in MMOs which has console style dumbed down game play. I.e. linear with little complexity in therms of crafting, story choices, non combat activities etc.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I am pretty sure he meant console style MMOs as in MMOs which has console style dumbed down game play. I.e. linear with little complexity in therms of crafting, story choices, non combat activities etc.

Atleast we have one person in this thread that isnt narrow minded. And yes most newer mmo's follow that path.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by stayontarget

I remember SW:Tor had such awesome video trailers also. 

Yeah, but that was before they hacked the high res textures out. :)

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Loke666

Co-op mode is multiplayer as well. I think that more MMOs should actually put some work into PvP but not all actually needs it.

MMORPGs are after all based on pen and paper RPGs and PvP is rare in those.

However if you add PvP it should be good, not something you add as an afterthought. The standard MMO mechanics were made for PvE, not PvE. That is why the trinity combat mechanics are as it is and that is why PvE and PvE combat is so different in most MMOs.

There is a reason most MMO players prefer PvE and that isn´t that they are care bears but that the standard MMO PvP suck. 

Most MUDS, Meridian, UO allowed PvP (but in those days the consequences where social). It was EQ that threw it out along with a lot of other stuff that made those earlier games fun.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

To some people (sandbox fanbois, themepark haters, 1st generation MMO vets, etc) all MMO's that aren't like sandbox MMO's or the first generation MMO's, are console style and 'linear' and stuff. It's how they roll and think ;-)

It has less to do with the actual platform the game that can be played on and more with the contempt that some people have for MMO's that aren't of a type that they're able to enjoy, something like that.
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

SWTOR was designed to be a cash cow pellet-feeder "entertainment experiance" rather than a true MMORPG. As far as I'm concerned, it was a total waste of time almost to the point of insult. In my opinion, many of the f2p MMO's are vastly better designed.

(1) Static vs Dynamic

It is my point that SWTOR is rather designed to be a bottom-line "cash cow" and one of these "gaming experiances," rather than a proper MMORPG.

a. No general dynamic weather, day-night cycles, or (so far) no 'sandbox' experiance of any kind.

b. No dynamism in terms of overworld game play: NPCs show no sign of activity, or dynamic behavior (do they move a single millimeter from their spawing position?)

(2) Voicing Acting. To quote Steve Jobs, "[...]They majored in minor things" (from a diffrent subject).

a. This is where alot of their time and development monies went. However, was it worth it?

b. When one group member lags during a cut scene we all lag. This would normally be fine, but it created problems for many. Some have a hard time "getting on the same page", after a lag bome from one of the party members.

c. It plain gets anoying, especially in groups (see 2.b).

(3) The level system (oh f%#^)

a. Bioware spent of 300+ million in development and they couldn't design something better than a "cut-and-paste" level system?

b. By its nature, in my opinion, a level system is a grind.

c. If stories are your cornerstone, shouldn't the stories be interesting? What happened to the writers that created KOTOR?

(4) When you leave a world you're done with it.

(5) I could go on and on...

Now, I'm waiting on Secret World.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Tyvolus4

this.  Quite frankly I am growing tired with game companies making 2 "warring," opposing factions, that supposedly hate each other and cant group/chat/guild each other and then offer no solid form of pvp conflict and even make over 1/2 their servers PvE.  WHY ARE THEIR 2 FACTIONS ?  wow did this, EQ2, swtor, RIFT does it.  Original EQ had it right, anyone can party/chat/guild, but the background is there for racial tensions in game.  it is time for game companies to stop makign 2 faction MMOs set within primarily a pve game.   just goes to show how cookie-cutter the whole model is for swtor.  bioware brought nothing new to the table.  VO was in EQ2...all bioware did was take to to obscene levels.

There are two factions because it's story based. Essentially it's one story for each side in a "pve" game.

Remember, people who don't like pvp aren't adverse to having an opposing faction in conjunction with their story. And though I think every game should have pvp, It sems that Bioware should have said "we will have some pvp options but this is primarily a pve game.

Because then what we are getting are pvp'ers who are besides themselves because the the pvp isn't being done "right".

Having said that, it seems that to most players who predominantly want pvp that no games do it "right" or very few.

It seems pretty telling when the pvp community can only agree on DAoC earlier on in its life and perhaps EVE.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by smh_alot

To some people (sandbox fanbois, themepark haters, 1st generation MMO vets, etc) all MMO's that aren't like sandbox MMO's or the first generation MMO's, are console style and 'linear' and stuff. It's how they roll and think ;-)

It has less to do with the actual platform the game that can be played on and more with the contempt that some people have for MMO's that aren't of a type that they're able to enjoy, something like that.

As one of those MMO vets, I'd have to say its more because there's no real choice these days other than the theme park style MMOs. Is there a problem with not wanting every MMO to be WoW?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by Zekiah

So...I take it some of you don't think that all the money spent on cut scenes and voice overs is enough to keep you subscribed? How surprising.

Who said anything about SWTOR keeping us subscribed? It has taken me just over 4 days of /played time to get to level 39. I got there in about a month. I enjoy the story, so I intend to play through each class story once. I imagine this may take me 6-8 months.

Now 6-8 months is great IMO, because no other game except DAoC held my subscription for more than that length of time. Most games lose me before the first month is even over. Who says a MMORPG needs to keep you subscribed anyways? What's wrong with staying subscribed for as long as the game is fun and then only returning to experience new things as they're released?

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by nate1980

Originally posted by Zekiah

So...I take it some of you don't think that all the money spent on cut scenes and voice overs is enough to keep you subscribed? How surprising.

Who said anything about SWTOR keeping us subscribed? It has taken me just over 4 days of /played time to get to level 39. I got there in about a month. I enjoy the story, so I intend to play through each class story once. I imagine this may take me 6-8 months.

Now 6-8 months is great IMO, because no other game except DAoC held my subscription for more than that length of time. Most games lose me before the first month is even over. Who says a MMORPG needs to keep you subscribed anyways? What's wrong with staying subscribed for as long as the game is fun and then only returning to experience new things as they're released?

I'm sorry, I didn't think the word "some" was all inclusive. Perhaps my statement wasn't meant to include you specifically.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by nate1980

Games don't survive without concurrent subs,I think ADD wil be a big problem for Devs in the future.

I'm used to playing games for years not months.

var fctb_tool=null;
    function FCTB_Init_e8ef74f4d924489aafe027f4b723033a(t)
    {
    fctb_tool=t;
    start(fctb_tool);
    }
    FCTB_Init_e8ef74f4d924489aafe027f4b723033a(document['FCTB_Init_0be6812eca7f43909128acefe99906ff']); delete document['FCTB_Init_0be6812eca7f43909128acefe99906ff']
  • headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by smh_alot

(snip)    To some people (sandbox fanbois, themepark haters, 1st generation MMO vets, etc) all MMO's that aren't like sandbox MMO's or the first generation MMO's, are console style and 'linear' and stuff. It's how they roll and think ;-)

i roll rogues for the stabby stabby! image

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Jorendo

Originally posted by nowrnvr

~ bottom line I'm waiting for guildwars 2 to come out ,  3 realms against each other with objectives and not having to wait for a tank or healer should be a real bonus :) the videos look awesome as well as some awesome classes to play !!!!!

O pfew i was afraid you where a seriouse gamer. But thank god you are another shameless "GW2 gonna rock im such a huge fan of that game already that im gonna say everything else sucks and it stupid cause GW2 is gonna rock baby oooh yeah" sorry im getting sick and tired of GW2 fanboys. GW2 is gonna suck hard, it makes a lot of promises but anyone who knows the studio knows its gonna be far from the game you people think its gonna be. Its gonna be a boring grinder, thats it. It promises sandbox, but what is sandbox? That you no longer have a ! and a ? above the heads of npc's but that quests happen in the world as you explore? That isn't sandbox, it doesn't let you control the world at all. The only difference between GW2 and other MMORPG's is the way quests are given.

I seen the gameplay movies, and sorry but they look dull. The animations once again look clunky as they where in GW1. The entire game breaths "another boring korean game that promises a lot but isn't gonna live up the hype". If you enjoyed GW1 good for you. Everyone should enjoy the games they prefer. But FFS stop these pathetic "I can't wait for GW2 so im gonna be negative about every other MMORPG" you guys become as pathetic as the Call of Duty vs BF3 or the Xbox 360 vs PS3 fanboys.

SWToR not your game fine, don't play it. I see alot of people come with complainments here that are their own machines fault like a low FPS, sorry i play on the highest details and i don't notice any FPS problems. Sure there is lag now and then, it happens with MMORPG's it happened in WoW in the early stage, it happened in RIft, it happens in a lot of MMORPG's. But so far i only had that once. Also SWToR is a story driven MMORPG so i don't know why there is saying that this game is dumbed down. If you are a hardcore raider go to WoW, if you are a hardcore PvPer go to another game. SWToR is mostly for the stories, i know that is very hard for 80% of today's MMORPer that you actually get to follow a story. If you skip them then yes the game gets boring cause you miss out on a lot.

If you like GW2 go say how awesome that game is in your GW2 posts but stop being childish pathetic fanboys who need to shout it in every freaking post. Grow up please.

GW2 is gonna rock so hard that Geroge Lucas is gonna be playing it!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

However if they werent going to have decent PVP I say they shouldnt have put it in the game at all.  Do it right or dont do it.  But from what little I played of Swtor, I cant even agree with it being an mmorpg.  It seems unecessary.  And through giving it the mmo treatment its dubbed down far and beyond anything resembling the quality of Mass Effect. 

Its not that Im against an Old Republic mmorpg.  As long as its done right.  This was a poor attempt.  If they had spent a little more of their budget on game design and game play things might have been different.  Voice overs are swell stuff.  But its fluff.  No amount of voice overs is going to make a bad game good.  Someone in charge really should have realized that.

Bioware got to make this awesome, beautiful looking, story and characters.  Then, they said, "OKAY LETS MAKE THE CHARACTERS MOVE AND SHIT LIKE OTHER MMOS DERP DE DERP" and in comes Mythic.  Mythic goes "WE GOT THIS GUYS LOOLZ WE MADE DAOC AND WARHAMMER LALWZ WE KNOW THIS SHIAT" So Mythic is allowed to do the thing they've been doing for the past 10 years and that's coming up with shitty ideas and then when trying to put said shitty ideas in the game, only complete 75% of each shitty idea, thus making the shitty ideas even shittier.

So EA comes in and goes "HEY GUYZ WE NEED TO MAKE MONEY SO WE DON'T PISS OFF OUR INVESTORS - GIVE US WHATEVER SHIT YOU HAVE NOW AND WE WILL RELEASE IT DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON - DONT WORRY IF ITS REALLY SHITTY, ITS STAR WARS AND THAT WILL SELL LAWLS"

and thus...SWTOR is born! :D

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

I like swtor warzone pvp. 3 zones isn't much yet but certainly we'll get more of those. The game hasn't been out little more than a month and you expect it to be on the same lvl as WoW (you are speaking of BGs so I assume) which has been there for 8th years now. Ilum will be worked as well so who knows what will it be in year or so.

I can understand that you are not satisfied with swtor since it does lack end game content. But you need to understand what kind of messes most mmorpgs have been at launch and put things in perspective (maybesomesleepwoulddogoodaswell). Swtor launch was one of the smoothest and unbugged i've seen.

I am also dissappointed that they didn't put in 3rd faction since it seems to be one of the best balancers in pvp overall.

• ooblaoobla Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by nowrnvr

I had high hopes for this game but after playing it for one month I have to say this game fails on many levels

~ bgs ... huttball x 10,000 cough boring as hell, also if you win it might not count as a win as well as skills not working and freezing up ....so after playing for 3 hours tonight and 5 wins my quest is till not done :......:

~ I know this game was not based on pvp but having no objectives in pvp in ilum other than a quest or two and getting valor which atm has no worth ... also killing players at their gate over and over is not very challenging.

~ I do agree that the quest line was alot of fun but other than that doing hardmodes over and over can get pretty boring, if you want to lvl up alts you might have alot of fun but tbh this game imo needs alot more to keep it going.

~ the servers are not balanced at all and playing against your own side in bgs and doing three bgs over and over again boring...

~ I have to say battlegrounds for people who like pvp are very boring.... 

Did I mention boring ? =D

~ bottom line I'm waiting for guildwars 2 to come out ,  3 realms against each other with objectives and not having to wait for a tank or healer should be a real bonus :) the videos look awesome as well as some awesome classes to play !!!!!

And once Guild Wars 2 comes out and its not exactly everything you want it to be you'll be calling that a fail too . And then you'll be on your quest for the next big mmo again .

It'll be a bit like looking for the Holy Grail you'll never find it . I would give up mmos because your only going to keep getting disapointed .

I think ToR has plenty of faults but I'm enjoying it as an rpg more than anything . Thats not to say I will sub to it every month but its something I can see myself playing a few months each year .

I actually wonder if you have played the game because the one thing that is truely appalling you fail to mention . The space combat .

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

nowrnvr, swtor is no fail, it's just your opinion. The facts say otherwise.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    bottom line: we got another fanboi hyping not released games, next!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Thane

bottom line: we got another fanboi hyping not released games, next!

So his opinion is void because he put GW2 in his review?