Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: The 10 Year Interview

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by kishe

If only they upgraded the graphics engine and modernized the UI, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

I agree..

Mythic should never of made WAR,they should of made DAOC 2.image

Signed.  It's readily apparent they killed off daoc (life support I suppose) so that all focus from Mythic went into Warhammer.  Then they took out the 3rd realm, added instanced pvp, and ignored everything that made daoc so fun (Darkness Falls, unique classes and races that are fun fun fun!, simple castle siege at various levels in a persistant environment, list goes on).

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

It always baffles me how a company who did something so right could turn around and use that experience to make something so wrong.  I only briefly played WAR, but the buzz wasn't very good and it was already dying by the time I decided to take a look at it.  I just don't see how they would leave out 3 realm RVR, which was the central hub of DAoC.  If something works then.... change it??

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Raventree

It always baffles me how a company who did something so right could turn around and use that experience to make something so wrong.  I only briefly played WAR, but the buzz wasn't very good and it was already dying by the time I decided to take a look at it.  I just don't see how they would leave out 3 realm RVR, which was the central hub of DAoC.  If something works then.... change it??

Mythic was "obtained" by EA games in order to put more cash into the development of Warhammer. BOTH EA & GamesWorkshop told Mythic staff that they could NOT have the Trifecta of perfection (3 realm RVR) in favor of a more classic WoW-Clone 2-side system in order to rake in the WoW kids.

Then, they continued with this trend by dumbing down the UI to pastel crayon drawn UI elements (huge inventory icons, dull & uninspired "DPS" gear system etc etc from WoW), and overall they ruined the "Mythic" experience that Warhammer Online COULD have been.

Now, Mythic is a shadow of its former self with more than 80% of it's already dwindled staff cannibalized for SWTOR. I'm told that staff is now perminantly part of SWTOR, and will NOT be returned to Mythic's HQ for DAOC.

Finally, if all of this were NOT sad enough EA have proclaimed FIRMLY that Mythic will NOT be allowed to "risk" making DAOC 2. They want ALL of their attention focused on their 100+million dollar WoW-clone project "SWTOR". Besides, MOST if not ALL of the talent from pre-DarknessRising went to that new "Spiritual Successor to DAOC" Sci-FI MMO once they were FIRMLY told in-house that DAOC 2 was going to never be done.

I for one, PRAY that DAOC 2 is NEVER made, and that is ONLY because EA-Mythic-Bioware will try to clone elements from SWTOR (2nd-hand WoW cloning?) for DAOC 2. It'd be a horrible travesty should EA-Mythic-Bioware do ANYTHING related to DAOC 2, as they'd only mess it up completely & tarnish the DAOC franchise's name.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by BillMurphy

If only they upgraded the graphics engine and modernized the UI, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

I can wholeheartedly get behind this.  Make the UI new and shiny, add some features, and update the visuals.  Hell put some money behind the questing to bring it up to speed too.

DAOC 2 could literally just be a remake and so many people would find out they love this sort of warfare.  /shrug

I hope one day.

I could totally get behind that. I never got a chance to play DAOC in its heyday and from what I hear WAR only scratched the surface of how good DAOC's RvR was.

Same here 5 of us used to play back in the day and we all miss the game and would be back in a heartbeat if it was updated.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Raventree

Mythic was "obtained" by EA games in order to put more cash into the development of Warhammer. BOTH EA & GamesWorkshop told Mythic staff that they could NOT have the Trifecta of perfection (3 realm RVR) in favor of a more classic WoW-Clone 2-side system in order to rake in the WoW kids.

Then, they continued with this trend by dumbing down the UI to pastel crayon drawn UI elements (huge inventory icons, dull & uninspired "DPS" gear system etc etc from WoW), and overall they ruined the "Mythic" experience that Warhammer Online COULD have been.

Now, Mythic is a shadow of its former self with more than 80% of it's already dwindled staff cannibalized for SWTOR. I'm told that staff is now perminantly part of SWTOR, and will NOT be returned to Mythic's HQ for DAOC.

Finally, if all of this were NOT sad enough EA have proclaimed FIRMLY that Mythic will NOT be allowed to "risk" making DAOC 2. They want ALL of their attention focused on their 100+million dollar WoW-clone project "SWTOR". Besides, MOST if not ALL of the talent from pre-DarknessRising went to that new "Spiritual Successor to DAOC" Sci-FI MMO once they were FIRMLY told in-house that DAOC 2 was going to never be done.

I for one, PRAY that DAOC 2 is NEVER made, and that is ONLY because EA-Mythic-Bioware will try to clone elements from SWTOR (2nd-hand WoW cloning?) for DAOC 2. It'd be a horrible travesty should EA-Mythic-Bioware do ANYTHING related to DAOC 2, as they'd only mess it up completely & tarnish the DAOC franchise's name.

I agree as much as i would love a DAOC 2 i fear it would just be another money making project for EA rather than a fantastic game that was and still is for many Dark Age of Camelot

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

If only DAOC had full voice overs... :D

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Best PvP in any MMO ever....Best system to get into PvP by having multiple Warzones.

The idea of 3 factions was also the best ever!

Sadly 2 faction warfare came later with WoW and every game copied that.

Now -a- days with instancing so common, you could set up an amazing warzone system for a game.

Also, no other game has been able to capture faction pride like DAOC. They talk about it, but no one has come close.

One of the best MMOs ever and sadly people copy WoW....

:p 
  • PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by finnmacool1

I would love to know where the author came up with daoc long being heralded as having the "best" pvp. Of course the die hard daoc fanatics would say that just like the die hard vanguard players claim that game to be the best game ever despite reality.

The reality is daoc has always had the worse pvp. Level is more important than skill(mitigated these days by bgs with about a 5 level spread). CC has always been ridiculous. Absolute horrible casting system for any pvp game. Lets see some guy 3 football fields away is looking at me funny so it interrupts my spell? really? Now i cant even attempt another spell for 5 secs? really?

Assaulting/defending keeps is the only semi fun pvp in daoc. Every other encounter goes one of two ways:

1. Zerged

2. Drive by mez,focus fired down while you cant fight back.

Neither is fun,neither involves skill,and neither is remotely rewarding.

DAOC PVP took tons of skill, i think you're only criticising cause you didn't have any. simple things like breaking /stick to spread and position properly on inc made CC not that big of a deal. Hard interrupts on spells, again, required a little more brains than wow-style just keep on spamming the button, you actually had to move/kite and reposition.

One of the best things about DAOC PVP that noone's mentioned is the fact that a well-organised & played 8man group could wipe whole zergs of crappy players, which meant the side with the biggest zerg didn't always win.

Plus i am yet to find an MMO - ever - that comes close to the thrill level of a pitched lords room battle, or the rush of darkness falls changing hands, or an 8-man battle that's still going after 10 minutes...

awesome game. it's still hard to fathom why they wouldn't make a daoc2.

• Cravex14Cravex14 Member Posts: 5

Let's goooo Dominus!  Hopefully they bring back some of the Daoc charm

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by Polarisation

I would love to know where the author came up with daoc long being heralded as having the "best" pvp. Of course the die hard daoc fanatics would say that just like the die hard vanguard players claim that game to be the best game ever despite reality.

The reality is daoc has always had the worse pvp. Level is more important than skill(mitigated these days by bgs with about a 5 level spread). CC has always been ridiculous. Absolute horrible casting system for any pvp game. Lets see some guy 3 football fields away is looking at me funny so it interrupts my spell? really? Now i cant even attempt another spell for 5 secs? really?

Assaulting/defending keeps is the only semi fun pvp in daoc. Every other encounter goes one of two ways:

1. Zerged

2. Drive by mez,focus fired down while you cant fight back.

Neither is fun,neither involves skill,and neither is remotely rewarding.

DAOC PVP took tons of skill, i think you're only criticising cause you didn't have any. simple things like breaking /stick to spread and position properly on inc made CC not that big of a deal. Hard interrupts on spells, again, required a little more brains than wow-style just keep on spamming the button, you actually had to move/kite and reposition.

One of the best things about DAOC PVP that noone's mentioned is the fact that a well-organised & played 8man group could wipe whole zergs of crappy players, which meant the side with the biggest zerg didn't always win.

Plus i am yet to find an MMO - ever - that comes close to the thrill level of a pitched lords room battle, or the rush of darkness falls changing hands, or an 8-man battle that's still going after 10 minutes...

awesome game. it's still hard to fathom why they wouldn't make a daoc2.

Sorry but sounds like this is the only game you played where a complete lack of skill for rvr was ok, which is probably why you enjoyed it so much. There are skilled players in daoc just like every other game out there but no game rewards lack of skill as much as daoc.

Any true pvper will tell you a good pvp game values skill over level, daoc doesnt. Any true pvper will tell you cc should play very little role(strategic only), daoc is built around cc.

Your ridiculous comment on wow casters "spamming" a button as if movement/kiting for casters is unique to daoc shows just how clueless you are. Of course a well played and organised 8 man can crush larger groups of random players. That is no different than any other game. A gaggle of ungrouped solers not communicating or working towards the same objective is easy picking in any game. The fact every 8man squad revolves around a speed class + insta ae mez class really tells you all you need to know. Nevermind the fact that each realm has many classes that wont be invited to that squad because they add little to nothing and are dead weight/filler/fodder for rvr.

I enjoyed daoc when it came out, there are a lot of interesting classes and abilities. The additions of style chains,positionals,reactionary abilities was awesome. You can have fun in rvr but that isnt the same as being a good pvp game. The pvp/rvr in daoc has been horrible since release and is hands down the worse of any game ive played by a longshot. They did away with one of the only redeeming aspescts(realm pride) when they merged all the servers and allowed one account to have chars for all 3 realms.

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Sorry but sounds like this is the only game you played where a complete lack of skill for rvr was ok, which is probably why you enjoyed it so much. There are skilled players in daoc just like every other game out there but no game rewards lack of skill as much as daoc.

Any true pvper will tell you a good pvp game values skill over level, daoc doesnt. Any true pvper will tell you cc should play very little role(strategic only), daoc is built around cc.

Your ridiculous comment on wow casters "spamming" a button as if movement/kiting for casters is unique to daoc shows just how clueless you are. Of course a well played and organised 8 man can crush larger groups of random players. That is no different than any other game. A gaggle of ungrouped solers not communicating or working towards the same objective is easy picking in any game. The fact every 8man squad revolves around a speed class + insta ae mez class really tells you all you need to know. Nevermind the fact that each realm has many classes that wont be invited to that squad because they add little to nothing and are dead weight/filler/fodder for rvr.

I enjoyed daoc when it came out, there are a lot of interesting classes and abilities. The additions of style chains,positionals,reactionary abilities was awesome. You can have fun in rvr but that isnt the same as being a good pvp game. The pvp/rvr in daoc has been horrible since release and is hands down the worse of any game ive played by a longshot. They did away with one of the only redeeming aspescts(realm pride) when they merged all the servers and allowed one account to have chars for all 3 realms.

lol at lack of skill in DAOC... that's why it's so widely regarded as the best PVP MMO of all time... 

noone competent ever died to instant mez, rofl...  

i've played every major mmo (and some minor) since and including UO...

level made zero difference in DAOC because everyone in the frontiers was 50...

another reason why DAOC's PVP is so great is that it had less gear disparity than most...

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Edit: MMORPG.com did not ask this question.  With all respect, would it not have been the very first question on the board? 

MMORPG.com:

When is the promised Origins Server going live?  Been what, 3 years now? 

Stuart Zissu:

...crickets.

lol at lack of skill in DAOC... that's why it's so widely regarded as the best PVP MMO of all time... 

another reason why DAOC's PVP is so great is that it had less gear disparity than most...

I would argue that its the lack of skill needed that leads people to make the ridiculous claim of daoc being the best pvp game.

Competant and incompetant alike die every day in every bg due to insta mez rofl...

The first 2 years at a minimum level was a major factor... Its only now with 5 level bg spreads that it is somewhat mitigated. Take a level 40 out to the frontier and see how well you do, being so skilled and all.

I have played every major mmo since eq1 and many minor ones, what is your point? eq1,ao,ac1,daoc,EnB,Shadowbane,LotR,rift,eq2,Vanguard,eve,9dragons,2moons,AoC,Tabula Rasa,DDO,Wow,WaR,Fallen Earth,CoH,probably a dozen more i cant remember off the top of my head.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by 77lolmac77
    Apparently this game "Dominus" is supposed to be a spiritual successor to DAOC, which I never played. Not sure why the two faction gameplay became so popular (maybe because of WoW) but as far as I'm concerned 3-6 is a good number. Darkfall had 6 and that was pretty cool.

I know, i know, its said they have some of the minds that worked at some point on DAOC.
    My trouble with Dominus is, that even the opening screen of the Homepage turns me off.
    Aestheticaly it seems to be a game for Starcraft players and i dislike Starcraft wholeheartly.

Be it The Secret World, Mechwarrior Online, dead SWG, i like Science Fiction Settings or Real World Settings but Dominus makes me instantly move my head, my eyes away of it (and usually i have a high tolerance to optics).

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

What I read into all of this is that if they just updated the game a whole lot of people would go back. Seems logical to either do DAoC 2 or just an upgrade to current game. There's money to be made here...

• ConuniConuni Member UncommonPosts: 2

DAoC Was my first MMO, and up until ToA came out I enjoyed both PvE and RvR (OF). So ToA became like a second job, which I finally gave up on and tried to move on. I even moved backward to EQ1. I've tried Lineage II, EQ2, WoW, Rift, and quite a few non-mainstream MMO's. None of them could fill the desire for DAoC's RvR style. Once they made ToA a non-issue, changed and upgraded a few things in DAoC, I reactivated my account. I've been enjoying the BG's a lot lately and leaving NF to others.

I would definitely love to see some upgrades done to the graphics and a few of the mechanics. I have never liked the casting in the game. I think you should be able to have a better chance at a successful cast when attacked than you do now. That's probably why I don't really play a caster much.

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

i will probably come back to it anyway, i have always liked DAOC but really never played it.

• profit28profit28 Member Posts: 4

I would argue that its the lack of skill needed that leads people to make the ridiculous claim of daoc being the best pvp game.

Competant and incompetant alike die every day in every bg due to insta mez rofl...

The first 2 years at a minimum level was a major factor... Its only now with 5 level bg spreads that it is somewhat mitigated. Take a level 40 out to the frontier and see how well you do, being so skilled and all.

I have played every major mmo since eq1 and many minor ones, what is your point? eq1,ao,ac1,daoc,EnB,Shadowbane,LotR,rift,eq2,Vanguard,eve,9dragons,2moons,AoC,Tabula Rasa,DDO,Wow,WaR,Fallen Earth,CoH,probably a dozen more i cant remember off the top of my head.

I haven't played daoc in a few years, but you clearly haven't played since the first two-three based on how far off your comments/complaints are.  Daoc was slow to evolve, but so many things have been balanced for so long that you show your true experience with the game by complaining about it.  It's true that CC was ridiculously overpowered in the early years, but that was so long ago that the RvR experience then was a completely different game than what it became.

Daoc is still the most skill based pvp I've played, partly due to the fact that it is not easy, and that everyone is level 50 with similar gear.  Playing a healer or caster in daoc was so much more difficult than playing one in other MMO's (especially ones that copy WoW) and you could really see the difference between a skilled player and a non-skilled one.

Originally posted by profit28

I haven't played daoc in a few years, but you clearly haven't played since the first two-three based on how far off your comments/complaints are.  Daoc was slow to evolve, but so many things have been balanced for so long that you show your true experience with the game by complaining about it.  It's true that CC was ridiculously overpowered in the early years, but that was so long ago that the RvR experience then was a completely different game than what it became.

Daoc is still the most skill based pvp I've played, partly due to the fact that it is not easy, and that everyone is level 50 with similar gear.  Playing a healer or caster in daoc was so much more difficult than playing one in other MMO's (especially ones that copy WoW) and you could really see the difference between a skilled player and a non-skilled one.

Lol you admit you havent played "in a few years" but then make the ridiculous claim "I" have no idea what the game is like today. FYI you can get 10 days free every 90 days to check out the current game if you have an old account. I logged in last week how about you,oh wait...

Originally posted by profit28

Lol you admit you havent played "in a few years" but then make the ridiculous claim "I" have no idea what the game is like today. FYI you can get 10 days free every 90 days to check out the current game if you have an old account. I logged in last week how about you,oh wait...

The game is 10 years old.. I played it from release until two years ago.  I've kept up with reading the patch notes and the forums and it hasn't changed a whole lot since I quit.  If you think insta-mez is a problem then you prove your ignorance.

Nice try but every single thing i outlined is still true today. Poor wording on insta mez since there are instant mez abilities. I was referring to the drive up at warp speed,ae mez, focus fire down, and yes its just as prevalent now as before.

Absolute worse casting system ever designed for pvp bar none. Hell its poor even for pve. Spell missed,blocked,resisted,interrupted(please wait 5secs and try again LOL) All to offset the overpowered ability of spells to dictate the battle.

Any pvp system centered around cc and dominated by removing the ability to control your character is piss poor, period.

If you played with people who knew what they were doing (aka skilled), having another group drive by and aoe mez you wouldn't stop you from winning. There are so many counters to mez now it's almost gone too far in the other direction. Cheap purge, cure mez, speed of sound, aoe duration falloff, mez dampening buffs, tanks with aoe cure mez, determination, high resistances lowering mez duration, artifacts that can block a mez, etc etc etc. When I left it was rare that the initial drive-by mez made a difference in the outcome of a fight. Unless you played with people who didn't know what they were doing.. aka unskilled.

double post
  • WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Just cause you played every game does not make you a good player, DAoC is tough to play, thats why SO many people dont like it, its not a button mashing game, it takes skill, and common sense, get out of line of sight and that caster 2 football fields away cant touch you, the things you are complaining about is SIMPLE stuff to counter, yeah, insta mez is frustrating, when you are solo. when im in a grp and we get mezzed, i break free within 5 seconds, we might lose 2 but we pop them back up and get back in the fight, its SKILL that makes it a hard game to play, if you are getting mezzed maybe you should pan a little and SEE the mez coming.  {mod edit} . and this comes from an active subscription player, and no, i dont play for albs (overpopulated) i play for the underdog, the ones that can take out a zerg w/ half the numbers, maybe you should resub, cause the game has changed a lot, and its not like WoW, or SW or Rift where it is based off a couple buttons your character has. trust me, i've endgamed those games, except SWTOR, huge letdown. {mod edit}

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Same, although they might also have to throw in a new 'classic' server. I guess I'd settle for updated graphics and a new UI though.

Some of these videos are pretty interesting http://mharjula.blogspot.com/, if you're curious as to what it would look like in the Crysis 2 engine.