Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Companion & Reforging Scrolls Removed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Diablo III blog has been updated with a short post indicating that both Companion and Reforging scrolls have been removed from the beta version of the game. According to the team, the systems were underdeveloped and can be reworked into something cool.

Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we’re trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

Read the full post on the Diablo III blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Looks like we got a looooooong wait till D3 is released.. still I'd rather wait that get game that is *meh*.

Ofc this is candy to the Blizz haters so you guys get your fill.

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Not Impressed.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Hmmmm, making a lot of cuts lately. Smells of going against the mantra of "releasing when it is done" and moving to "get it the frick out the door, NOW!"

I guess there's always paid expansions for the things being cut.

/feeling cynical today

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Hmmmm, making a lot of cuts lately. Smells of going against the mantra of "releasing when it is done" and moving to "get it the frick out the door, NOW!"

/feeling cynical today

I think they are actually cutting stuff to rework it and then release the game. As opposed to removing unfinished features and releasing. There was a blue post about the size of a disertation on this a week ago. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

yeah it was fun waiting even longer for a game that's being released for the console platform AGAIN didn't they learn their lesson from Ghost, yeah thanks Blizzard!

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Personally after trying the whole crap companion system of swtor i m glad they have removed companions.

In my opinion rpgs that have multiplayer elements must have to do about you and not about you and your stupid companion.

Very nice move from blizzard.Get rid of worthless junk.In the universe of diablo i want to be alone  and hopeless just like diablo 1

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

A lot of you guys don't know much about what you are talking about.  A release date is closing in, and they want to take these out to rework them and expand on them.  If you visit the official forums you would see 99% of all posts responding this are incredibly positive.  Companion scrolls probably aren't what you are thinking they are.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Zefire

Personally after trying the whole crap companion system of swtor i m glad they have removed companions.

Crap companions in SWTOR? You've got to be kidding, did you even play the game?

I never felt so "attached" to a "pet" in any other game.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Yeah, because its SO much better leaving in a lot of crappy systems that looked good on paper but never really worked in-game and bog down the game.

This is one of the good things about Blizzard, they arent afraid to admit when something isnt working and get rid of it. Other companies are prone to leave in crap like this and ignore it for years.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Blizzard keeps slashing content out of Diablo 3. Pricetag is still $60.

Relic hasn't slashed any content out of Torchlight 2. Pricetag is still $20.

Hmm...

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Swoogie

/feeling cynical today

I think they are actually cutting stuff to rework it and then release the game. As opposed to removing unfinished features and releasing. There was a blue post about the size of a disertation on this a week ago. 

They aren't, they are cutting this content so they don't have to worry about it when they push the game out on release day. Whether or not it means we see it down the road with the obligatory expansion who knows.

And I'm saying this because this is exactly what happened with Blizzards last major release, WoW: Cataclysm. Remember they gutted out what had to be half of the promised content mentioned in the announcement trailer for release, which led to one of the most dull, uninteresting, utterly horrible Archaeology profession as it is now.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Removing anything really isn't increasing my interest for the game.  They've had ten years to brainstorm and around half of that to develop a third title in their incredibly succesful series; what have they been doing all this time?

I'm way passed giving a shit about Diablo 3, now.  I'll watch the cinematics on Youtube and be done with it.

• nax38nax38 Member Posts: 41

In my opinion rpgs that have multiplayer elements must have to do about you and not about you and your stupid companion.

Very nice move from blizzard.Get rid of worthless junk.In the universe of diablo i want to be alone  and hopeless just like diablo 1

Companions were not removed, only Scrolls of Companions.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I just hope that after release they add stuff, it can cost money, but I want to keep the Diablo experience alive.  D2 just got too stagnant after LoD.  The oddball changes they made with synergies and runewords were actually kind of annoying to me.  I didn't need a harder game, or a game that made single tree specs enticing when at endgame it was still suicide to only run (for example) one element as a sorceress, and it's just too hard to hunt runes that you actually want or need.  I assume the AH will fix that in D3 at least.  There was simply no room for legit trading in D2 after 04, it was nothing but spambots for ebay sales in the lobby.

So okay take out some stuff, release the game, but don't just forget about it after one expac.

Originally posted by uohaloran

Removing anything really isn't increasing my interest for the game.  They've had ten years to brainstorm and around half of that to develop a third title in their incredibly succesful series; what have they been doing all this time?

I'm way passed giving a shit about Diablo 3, now.  I'll watch the cinematics on Youtube and be done with it.

You aren't a fan if you aren't getting the game, if you aren't getting the game, don't pretend you ever were.  If you didn't notice they dropped the franchise entirely in favor of WoW development for years.  We are honestly lucky they are bringing it back due to a lull between WoW's explosive growth and the next MMO they bring out.

Originally posted by Ceridith

Blizzard keeps slashing content out of Diablo 3. Pricetag is still $60.

Relic hasn't slashed any content out of Torchlight 2. Pricetag is still $20.

Hmm...

Both will be worth twice their price tag, and anyone who's played the original TL and the game it tried to rip off (D2), knows this. 

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by uohaloran

You aren't a fan if you aren't getting the game, if you aren't getting the game, don't pretend you ever were.  If you didn't notice they dropped the franchise entirely in favor of WoW development for years.  We are honestly lucky they are bringing it back due to a lull between WoW's explosive growth and the next MMO they bring out.

adam_nox has a point there...

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by itgrowls

yeah it was fun waiting even longer for a game that's being released for the console platform AGAIN didn't they learn their lesson from Ghost, yeah thanks Blizzard!

What does it being released on a console have to do with anything?

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I never really did get into these reforging scrolls, and the companions seems a bit weak in my opinion. I think they going to release a future patch or add it back on an expansion when they discover an "like"-able version. I just like it how companions are completely optional and not so much useful in diablo 2.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Think people need to read a little closer before posting. This is what is removed here. They basically spawned random critters that would pick up gold and stuff for you. They were basically pointless in-game because you can already do this yourself. People may be getting these mixed up with Followers which are still in-game and fight by your side. Followers are found in-game and not by a scroll. Can read more about them here.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Diablo as been delayed again, 1st quarter of 2012 is now highly unlikely, they also cancelled Blizzcon 2012.

• PridePride Member UncommonPosts: 9

Considering the amount of changes in the "stress test" part of the game, I find it highly unlikely that D3 would be even released in 2012...

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

Hehe. They aren't getting rid of companions, but companions scrolls. These scrolls summon little creatures like snakes and insects that follow you around and pick up your loot for you.

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    I wouldnt pay 60$ for a game unless it was from Blizzard.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Hey Blizzard.

HEY! YOU!

How about cutting something that matters to EVERYONE except gold farmers. How about cutting that RMT auction house so my guild, gaming family, and best friends can ALL put Diablo III back on their wish their. Until you do, go jump off a cliff with Diablo III in your arms.

-Thank you!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.