Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: NCSoft US Lawsuit - Delay of Game?

Comments

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by paterah

Originally posted by Qazaam

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by fony

saw this coming, no way a US court will allow this game to come out. they were just waiting for a release date so they could strike.

I disagree.  NCSoft has to have very damaging information that proves NCSoft's business will be damaged by  such to cause the court to issue an injunction.  Of course it depends on the judge, but I doubt the release will be affected.

Well, NCSoft's information was damaging enough to get BlueHole convicted in Korea.  Unless some kind of major settlement is made, this game won't be coming out in the US.

Yet the game is actually online in Korea...

After a hefty settlement ... which, as I stated, would also probably allow TERA to releasein the US

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

My own experience is that judges and courts have no idea about programming and source codes, and will make their ruling based on factors outside actual understanding of the issue.  A conviction means almost nothing except that it LOOKS like to a regular joe that they stole code.

Really Blizzard should sue Trion and Bioware lol.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , it's funny because the same company (NCsoft) that supports botting , heck they even show you how to bot , is putting up a lawsuit? 

That right there made my week and I'm working this week end LMAO!!! :P

Good stuff right there. 

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

The legal side of me says good for NCsoft. 

However, does anyone know if this will effect the UK launch as well? Not to be selfish but I have waited long enough for this game :D

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by paterah

Originally posted by Ozmodan

saw this coming, no way a US court will allow this game to come out. they were just waiting for a release date so they could strike.

I disagree.  NCSoft has to have very damaging information that proves NCSoft's business will be damaged by  such to cause the court to issue an injunction.  Of course it depends on the judge, but I doubt the release will be affected.

Well, NCSoft's information was damaging enough to get BlueHole convicted in Korea.  Unless some kind of major settlement is made, this game won't be coming out in the US.

Yet the game is actually online in Korea...

After a hefty settlement ... which, as I stated, would also probably allow TERA to releasein the US

Now that's a better tone to say it. More likely than not.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

This is awful, I was really waiting for this game to come.

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

They Stole everything like 2-3 years ago and YES the Ncsoft employes were the ones who stole the codes but they went and created another company. So really even if they did help create it, it wasnt theres to take and take credit for so it didnt matter if they made it or not. Tera has failed hard in Korea, so im not going to be suprised if it fails here becuase the game is not good at all....ive played it many time in Korea. Then i played my friends us beta account, nothing to hype over.

I kinda want them to get introuble they have no right to take another companies game resources and go to make there own game and take credit for something they never made.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Burden of proof lies with NCsoft in this case,  something they know thay cannot provide or win in court.  But that is not what this lawsuit is about,  This lawsuit is about giving bad media press to the competion and it will do just that.   NC has very deep pockets so spending a little bit of money to hurt your rival is money well spent.  These sort of things between rival companies happen all the time.

http://www.thisisgame.com/go/2011/01/20/bluehole-is-not-guilty-for-lineage-3/

BHS will not turn it into a media pissing contest (just like they did with the last lawsuit by NC), its not BHS style.  They will ride it out and let the courts deside.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't necessarily believe that NCSoft is going to get all they ask for, even though I believe they're in the right for bringing this suit against BH. The main issue is that US courts are notoriously in the dark when it comes to gaming, especially online gaming and the internet in general, where they may as well be living under rocks. 

Second, even if NCSoft does win, that doesn't mean you guys won't see TERA releasing here. NCsoft is developing Lineage 3 still, and likely with their prior proprietary knowledge stolen they've started from scratch (since years ago, when we first heard rumors of stolen tech for L3). I don't think NCSoft actually views TERA as a threat considering they've likely already moved beyond it, I think this is a suit based on the principle of the matter and the money. It's far more likely that, rather than stopping the game from releasing in the US, the companies will settle on money, perhaps even a percentage of the company's profits from the game.

In the end that's all any of this is ever about, and if NCSoft can get sufficient 'damages' from BH, you'll see TERA released here with little if any delay.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by thamighty213

Originally posted by dinams

I really dont know what to say of this

NCsoft has a fame of sueing everyone and their mother, but it is its hand feeding GW2 so I prefer to stay neutral

This is probably fair on NC's behalf though,   a number of people involved in this project are rotten to the core and where involved in the theft of of the L3 source code/assets.

Years of development stolen attempted to market to a unamed japanese company then when no bite Bluehole set up,  Korean courts already ruled in NCSofts favour twice in fact extending sentances (suspended) and fines for blueholes owners.

That settled the issue in the east and I am not surprised to see NCSoft pursueing the same fines/compensation in the western market,  if somebody had stole my work I would do the same based on territory it was being offered in.

Umm where to start...

A number of the posters here seem to have decided that BLueHole is absolulty guilty and "Rotten to the core" etc with out posting any proof or even compeling sources. Having been a long time NCSOFT customer i am not so quick to condem bluehole.

I  have looked online at and the best description of what acctualy is going on seems to be:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/ncsoft-seek-to-prevent-us-release-of-tera/

This shows a very different picture than Bluehole being some kind of bad guys here...

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

All I though was "Not really a good secret when people make use of it"

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Bookah

Umm where to start...

A number of the posters here seem to have decided that BLueHole is absolulty guilty and "Rotten to the core" etc with out posting any proof or even compeling sources. Having been a long time NCSOFT customer i am not so quick to condem bluehole.

I  have looked online at and the best description of what acctualy is going on seems to be:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/26/ncsoft-seek-to-prevent-us-release-of-tera/

This shows a very different picture than Bluehole being some kind of bad guys here...

Yeah, after reading some of that legal document earlier, NCSoft starts looking like they're just trying to sabotage Tera, by dragging them down whether they have a real case or not - there's no mention of specific code that was stolen, or anything of that nature, as far as I could see.  Just a lot about similar concepts, which are actually similar to a lot of other MMOs, too.  Almost seems like maybe they're just being vindictive over employee disloyalty.  Pretty despicable of NCSoft, if I'm getting it right.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

When people say Lineage 3, is it Lineage Eternal? Or are they making two games of the same franchise at the same time?

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

L3 =/= lineage eternal, I'm pretty sure development of the latter started recently while the former was canceled years ago.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Exilor

When people say Lineage 3, is it Lineage Eternal? Or are they making two games of the same franchise at the same time?

Essentially.

It was being called "lineage 3" and then the whole Tera thing happened and yadda, yadda, yadda, they are now workign on Lineage Eternal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Cripnoah

L3 =/= lineage eternal, I'm pretty sure development of the latter started recently while the former was canceled years ago.

It's essentially the 3rd installment in the Lineage series. It's just being given a different name.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

It sounds like they waited to make their move upon launch to make the most financial gain.

Courts don't work this way.

However, I don't know the whole story.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

NCSoft has to prove that the source code stolen was proprietary information.  I don't know how it works for other companies like NCSoft, but a person working on proprietary  projects must sign a form stating that if they leave, what they're working on is the companies.  This is what NCSoft has to prove.  If they can't, then there won't be a leg to stand on.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by misles

NCSoft has to prove that the source code stolen was proprietary information.  I don't know how it works for other companies like NCSoft, but a person working on proprietary  projects must sign a form stating that if they leave, what they're working on is the companies.  This is what NCSoft has to prove.  If they can't, then there won't be a leg to stand on.

They already did in Korea and won most of it, thats why they now do it too in the u.s.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

I remember before the release of L2 a large portion of the code wa supposedly stolen which led to exploits , bots, gold farmers under every rock etc.  Now Nc say that the source code for L3 has gone the same way.  Either NC has the worst security ever in the games industry or they release portions of the code on purpose ( afterall they didn't exactly rush to get rid of the farmers in L2 did they ).  This time however it seems that someone has had the nerve to actually use it in the production of another game instead of just finding the loopholes that can be exploited in L3 so out come the lawsuits.  Here is an idea NC, keep the bloody code secret you morons.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by stayontarget

Burden of proof lies with NCsoft in this case,  something they know thay cannot provide or win in court.  But that is not what this lawsuit is about,  This lawsuit is about giving bad media press to the competion and it will do just that.   NC has very deep pockets so spending a little bit of money to hurt your rival is money well spent.  These sort of things between rival companies happen all the time.

http://www.thisisgame.com/go/2011/01/20/bluehole-is-not-guilty-for-lineage-3/

BHS will not turn it into a media pissing contest (just like they did with the last lawsuit by NC), its not BHS style.  They will ride it out and let the courts deside.

It was ruled that BHS had stolen trade secrets and damages where awarded. That sounds like a win for NCsoft.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by eric1000

Here is an idea NC, keep the bloody code secret you morons.

How can you keep the code secret from the people that make the code? as they are the ones that supposedly stole it.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by saky

I think we shouldn't voice our opinion on this matter, the code was indeed stolen but probably the thief are the same people as those who worked on the code.

It's possible that they just think the code is their own since the worked on it.

AFAIK there's an international law on computer code stating that if a code is 'stolen' from someone else and less than (x)% of the original code is changed, the code is still of the one who claimed it was stolen.

Now I figure that since in 2007 the L3 code (actually only the modified Unreal3 engine) was stolen and in 5 years that BHS was able to add more than the % I mentioned before, I highly doubt that NCSoft has any ground on which to claim the code is still theirs...

Anyways... After all this time waiting, I have my doubts on TERA. It kinda failed in Korea and Japan recently merged 75% of their servers. THis just makes me wonder if TERA will be worth to play or I should wait for NCSoft to come up with L3 in a year or 2...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Bookah

Umm where to start...

Not sure how you get that from the piece. According to the article it resulted in jail sentences in Korea. It concludes

It does look like they have a pretty strong case here, and this could mean a significant delay for TERA, perhaps even kill it dead. We’ll keep you posted.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

They were found guilty of the crime in Korea, but their copyright laws somehow allowed TERA to continue to be made over there. that will not be happening on the other side of the world though.

I think we Cannot be so sure? It says "similar cases have been adjudicated in Korea between NCSoft and BlueHole Studios resulting in both criminal and civil convictions against BHS. Both decsions have, however, had portions overturned and remain in appeals courts in Korea."

See, what I'm making out of this is that the court has not charged BHS with anything yet.