Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW MMO THAT I WILL CREATE!!!!! (with help from you!)

mmowolfmmowolf lost city, WVPosts: 2Member

Greetings

if you are reading this that means you might be a great influence in the development of a new mmo experience!!!

now on topic... i will be working on a action rpg style mmo (still working title and the scripts) that consists of two major factions nither good or bad but each ranging in classes and races along with deep custom avitars for each player

when i ask myself "what will be the theme of this game" i say "swords and magic meets wild west"

(of cource guns will be limited) but i will first start small and first make the world (name pending) and create the two major towns (smaller ones around the world that would change hands depending on population of factions present in the town for a certan length of time)

the combat would consist of first and third person action (played kind of like a mix of counterstrike and elder scrolls) were the action wold "real time" and have a HUGE list of wepons that the player would choose on the creation of the char.

an extensive list of "jobs" will be preformed to increase levels (which i would not diferentiate between exp for simplis. sake) the list would include mining, smithing, hunting, cooking, "building" (which i will elaborate on later if someone asks), wood choping, wood crafting, milling, etc. (more to come)

each faction would have a "king" who has lots of abilitys that no one else has to "keep the peace" over the players (for example a simple thing from counterstrike called "burry" makes a players head the only thing sticking out from the ground so they couldnt move for a set number of minutes for those who are bad players who cheat in my game) as well as being able to alocate exp.

lots "skills" that would make combat fun by adding bonuses to chars ( for example a so called sprinter skill would allow chars to run faster than others while the "tank" skill would alow for bounus def and a "combat master" could do double dam with all wepons!)

spells would..... how do i put this....... be up to YOU!!!!! (i would alow players to see parts of the script and create custom spells that would cost a set number of "points" which could then be casted with the proper lev reqirement)

more comin soon so read and post your own ideas and ill get back to you!

Comments

• Sanity888Sanity888 Greenfield, WIPosts: 185Member Uncommon

Do you have..

a) 100 Million Dollars

b) 100 People

c) 10 Years

?

• dinamsdinams Muriae, VAPosts: 1,362Member

I lost my will to help when I saw caps locked title

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 19,165Member Rare

Originally posted by Sanity888

Do you have..
    a) 100 Million Dollars
    b) 100 People
    c) 10 Years
    ?

Please, most MMOs only have half that. Guildwars were in fact made by a handful people with a very small budget.

But you do need a good lead programmer more than everything else. 

• sazabisazabi VilniusPosts: 389Member

OP i think you forgot your donation or refferal link.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 SydneyPosts: 378Member Uncommon

well for one thing this thread should be in the developers corner... and another slow the f*&^ down I'm totally lost on what your game is about is it a MMO or a 3 person shooter? whats the lore? and land like wild west? fantasy? your entire wall of text just spells out WOAH THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN AND THIS AND THIS!!? wtf? are u a indy developer? u got a team? a budget? just give some more thought on those concepts first, before poeple can help u out.. cause atm IM getting the impression your a 14 year old kid crying out for attention...

• Kuro1nKuro1n GothenburgPosts: 775Member Uncommon

Originally posted by dinams

Yea... also making a mmorpg alone or with a small group of people. Well best of luck. (lol) :D

Questions: do you have any experience whatsoever with creating games? What engine are you planning to use? what is your target group? 

Also you may want to create a topic name without CAPS because it looks like a 13 year old made the topic, just saying.

Originally posted by Loke666

Please, most MMOs only have half that. Guildwars were in fact made by a handful people with a very small budget.

To be anything like what I want, it will probably need all of that. In fact, it would probably need more money, and the game wouldn't be able to be played on anything until at least ten years from now.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 SydneyPosts: 378Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Originally posted by dinams

Yea... also making a mmorpg alone or with a small group of people. Well best of luck. (lol) :D

^this^  +1

To be anything like what I want, it will probably need all of that. In fact, it would probably need more money, and the game wouldn't be able to be played on anything until at least ten years from now.

While it is great to have money those sums are not a must to make a great game.

As for a few MMO examples, then EQ and SWG had 8 millions, Wow 60 millions and WAR 80 millions. The only MMO I even heard about over 100M is TOR. Of course there is infaltion to count with but still...

As for 10 years, I can only think of a single game that was close to it: Darkfall with 9 years. You don´t spend that time because anything you make will be dated long before release. Wow took 7 years, WAR 4 years, Guildwars 5 years (it had only 3 programmers though) STO 18 months (yeah, we can agree that it needs more than that).

5 years is just long enough, and if you use someone elses engine 4 is good as well.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Herp Derp, PAPosts: 496Member

Regardless of what direction gameplay wise you go in, there's one thing that every MMO needs

large chested females

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

Regardless of what direction gameplay wise you go in, there's one thing that every MMO needs
    large chested females

Yeah, Eve have plenty of those, right?

• Kuro1nKuro1n GothenburgPosts: 775Member Uncommon

As for a few MMO examples, then EQ and SWG had 8 millions, Wow 60 millions and WAR 80 millions. The only MMO I even heard about over 100M is TOR. Of course there is infaltion to count with but still...

As for 10 years, I can only think of a single game that was close to it: Darkfall with 9 years. You don´t spend that time because anything you make will be dated long before release. Wow took 7 years, WAR 4 years, Guildwars 5 years (it had only 3 programmers though) STO 18 months (yeah, we can agree that it needs more than that).

5 years is just long enough, and if you use someone elses engine 4 is good as well.

Gogo Unreal Engine 3 :D

How much money depends very much what country you are developing in and what kind of staff you have, what programs you plan on using as well as if its a hobby project of some people in someones basement or if you plan to do it fulltime... People need to eat. :D

etc etc etc etc aoaoaoao

Do you know the game Spore? Make a MMO based off of that.

It doesn't sound too hard, no, but it would be a lot, a lot, more detailed than Spore. Take Spore's system of evolution and translate it into a technology tree based off the skill system in pre-CU SWG, where there is a few basic general skills that evolve into more specialized skills.

Take any profession that is currently in existence in the real world. That profession would be translated into the MMO.

Photo-realistic graphics. The most realistic engine ever created.

In fact, the only difference between this MMO and the real world is that it will be easier to exist, with no permadeath. But eventually skills would evolve higher than that of real life.

This would take ... at least 20 years to create. The way I want it to be made, yeah, it is very unrealistic right now. Funny thing is, there would be no pre-set features ... every feature in the game you would have to earn.

The first cinematic would be a big bang, galaxies and stars forming, then planets forming, and one of the planets would change to have water, an atmosphere, and life - and that life would be you. Each habitable planet would be a server, and there would be a server at a later time for space age (which would resemble EVE Online, but better).

It would either be called, "Life (Squared)" or "Evolution".

• DeaconXDeaconX Posts: 3,051Member Uncommon

Dude, I wish I could say I was personally wealthy and could fund the development of my dream MMO... but if you're going to come out and say that, you've got to have a business plan of some sort.

No one in their right mind would think "Yeah this seems legit" reading it on a forum.

What you've posted is essentially a very long but weak elevator pitch that simply wouldn't be taken seriously by any professional who might be inticed to join you on your venture.

Post these:

What resources you have

What experience you have in game design/development etc

What skills you bring to the table

How much funding you have for the start-up

At least those will start giving people a ballpark idea of where you're at and what you're looking for.

It takes a LOT more than pie-in-the-sky user stories to get a game developed, let alone one as complex as an MMORPG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ClaesClaes HerningPosts: 265Member Common

1. You create a thread in all caps.

2. You tell us almost nothing about the actual game.

3. Which engine are you going to develop this mmorpg in?

4. Which programming language are you going to use?

5. You create a thread asking for help, but you have no specific questions for us. You just ramble onwards for ~30 lines of text, and expect us to give you good feedback.

6. How far along are you with this project? Have you even begun? Before creating threads like these, finish a game design that covers systems (exp, combat, quests?, items, areas). You need to be able to tell your "team" what to start with. Asking for incredibly redundant design-tips is not a good way to begin.

To be honest, I feel like I'm giving advice to a 16-year old who just loves playing games, and came up with a theme for an mmo. That's what I got out of reading this topic.

I'm a student who's halfway through a game-design bachelor. Believe me when I tell you that you only have 5% of an idea right now. If you really want to create an MMO, I suggest you start reading up on what it's actually made of.