Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good economy-based/trading simulator games out there? (Doesn't have to be MMO)

Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Basically, I'm looking for a game where you can be a crafter and make a decent living off what you make. I'm subbed to EVE online right now, and I'm loving the game. Though the wait to train certain skills is driving me crazy.. Is there anything similar to EVE, but in the fantasy genre? Some of my favorite trading games are Haven and Hearth, the Patrician series, ANNO 1404, Wurm, UnReal World, and Face of Mankind. I love games that give you a lot of different options in playstyle. If anyone knows any games similar to those please post em. Keep in mind they don't have to be MMOS.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

Comments

• ThorHalThorHal Member Posts: 89

Anno 2070 came out not too long ago, although its not a fantasy setting its quite refreshing the series. I enjoed it pretty much.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Try uncharted waters online and pick the merchant class, think that is what your looking for.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Fallen Earth maybe

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

For pure crafting, A Tale in the Desert is easily the best.  If you want a considerable emphasis on trading, too, you could try Puzzle Pirates or Uncharted Waters Online.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

The only games that come close to EVE worth playing right now would be Darkfall or Mortal. I recommend checking out Vanguard though if you are mostly interested in the act of crafting and harvesting itself.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm gonna give Fallen Earth a try and also the new ANNO game looks really good. I've played a lot of the other games suggested and have a few problems with em.

ATitD was a bit too tedious for me, I really wanted to get into that game though.

I was subbed to Darkfall for about a year, but my clan mates started dropping outta the game, so I started playing less and less. Might go back to it if the pop is healthy.

I liked Mortal online, but I really couldn't bring myself to pay a sub for it. The pop was waaay too small and the game was glitchy as hell.

Puzze Pirates is one of my favorite games and I still play it from time to time. Probly should've had that on my list to start with..

And I played UWO for awhile, but that tutorial is killer :S Might give it a second try though.

...I guess I'm pretty picky with the games I play, either way I'm still determined to find something to hold me over till ArcheAge or GW2. I'm still open to any single player games if anybody knows any good ones.

Edit: Oh and forgot about Vanguard: SOH. Subbed to it atm and I love it, but I need someone else to play it with cause it's pretty tough alone..

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I just got back into FE, a fine game, and well worth the price of admission these days(my old box copy and no sub).

The problem with the game is self-sufficiency, because everyone tends to make their own gear and ammo. Most people running alts wont do all the crafting twice, and won't have enough resources on the main to complete what they need, so they tend to use the AH for resources, but not so much for the gear itself. Thing is, with maxed charisma and social skill, you can get a 30% discount on items at the vendor and sell it to players on the AH at the slightest markup, so going out in the wild for it really isn't a logical option at that point. Pretty stagnant market, even on ammo, since most of it is easy to make yourself... it just gets annoying at some point, and then people splurge as to not waste effort with it.

~If you really get your jollies off on crafting and being a well-known crafter (making ties and perhaps having a specialty), then your best options are Uncharted Waters and Mortal Online. Problem is (wait for it), being the best means having the best resources - and those best resources are out in PvP country. Most alliances in MO have thier territories on lockdown, so you'd have to smoov your way in without a hatchet going for your head. In UWO, you have to sail far and wide, sometimes going ashore, for rare ingrediants for crafting with - well, in the case of tailory/armor/weapons it can be - for ships related stuff (cannons, sails, etc) all the goods can be bought around where they are in surplus (to save money), then crafted and sold where usually needed (Seville was a popular crafter's port). Selling cannons was big money when I played, but a huge money sink to get good enough to actually be competitive with others.

@guy below

The Guild 2 is awesome, but *needs* patches if anyone decides to pick it up. Buggy mess, but extremely deep game.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Well most game i know have already been told, you might want to try perpetuum (eve like but with mech) or maibe Europa 1400 - The Guild (not mmo), i have heard that this is a good simulation game. You can start biusiness, trading and participate in politics etc... never try it myself but i think i will do this week-end. Hope it help.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

Illyriad is a good browser fantasy MMO, with a good community and trading, alliances, wars etc.  It's a persistent world too unlike most of the other brower "MMO's" out there.  http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/  and its totally free, money doesnt give an edge in anything important, just minor boosts.

• nutcholinonutcholino Member Posts: 1

try out X3-Terran Conflict. its a sci-fi non-mmo but it's quite sandboxy .. probably like EVE (never tried though)

only problem there is, there is no "real" tutorial.. and the first 2-3 hours will be a real pain. but if you get over that

you will have a blast :>.

well.. just created this account to post you this. cant believe no one mentioned this game here yet ^.^

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Its sad, crafting, trading, player economies, and just the business aspect games are put on the back burner. Many of these games listed here have poor economic systems. When i say economic systems i mean ( crafting, player econ, trade, etc...).

Only a few games had this that worked great and few are no longer around. Some have very low pop, and rest are just saturated with loot junk thats much better than crafted goods.

PoTBS

UWO

BBO

SWG - cancelled but some people use other means to stiill play

Vanguard - low pop but heard its getting better, i liked it

Eve - but i dont like being in a ship all the time, need planets and stuff like that  (my personal likes)

EQ2

Fallen Earth - decent just clunky gameplay and bad pvp

Ryzom

Project Entropia - need real money not for me

Wurm - havent played it but heard it was along those lines

And a few others coming out within the year or 2

The Repopulation

Archeage

and a few more look promising.

I know im missing some.......

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

Pirates of the Burning Sea

I've heard people say it's like EVE but with sailing ships. 

I don't really play the game so I can't offer more than that.  Perhaps someone more familiar with the game can chime in.