Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

(prediction) will Guild Wars 2 change the way post GW2 MMO are deigned, as Everquest and WoW did whe

MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
This is all speculation of course, but based on predictions, will GW2 effect the way post GW2 MMO are designed in a similar manner that Everquest 1 and WoW did after their successful run?



If so, which areas of MMO development will GW2 have the most influence on?

image

«13456789

Comments

  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,473Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by MMOExposed

    This is all speculation of course, but based on predictions, will GW2 effect the way post GW2 MMO are designed in a similar manner that Everquest 1 and WoW did after their successful run?



    If so, which areas of MMO development will GW2 have the most influence on?

    Be specific.  You post is SO OVERLY GENERAL that later you can cherry pick what you are claiming now.

    List specific things you think will do this.  Things that have never been used in any previous video game of any type.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,643Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by waynejr2

    Originally posted by MMOExposed

    This is all speculation of course, but based on predictions, will GW2 effect the way post GW2 MMO are designed in a similar manner that Everquest 1 and WoW did after their successful run?



    If so, which areas of MMO development will GW2 have the most influence on?

    Be specific.  You post is SO OVERLY GENERAL that later you can cherry pick what you are claiming now.

    List specific things you think will do this.  Things that have never been used in any previous video game of any type.

    I'm also interested in which specific features or decisions you feel will affect design decisions of future MMOs.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • PuremallacePuremallace Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,856Member

    GW2 is dangerous for the simple reason it is claiming to be a mmorpg that is B2P, so already off top that might change stuff. It will make you question devs the same way Rift makes players question other devs when some stuff is missing.

     

    If they can pull off this wierd sandbox/themepark thing that would be interesting.

     

    Removing classes would be one hell of a change, especially removing a dedicated healer

     

    That WvWvW is what is making DAoC fanboi rock hard when they think of GW2. That is the feature they never shut up about actually.

     

    Those are the big three I see.

  • aionixaionix Fremont, OHPosts: 292Member

    If GW2 is a huge hit, then the static world filled with quest hubs that made WoW so popular will be negatively viewed by the player base.  Dynamic worlds, level bumping  your character, personal story (already popularized with ToR), and 3 way world PvP will become normal things in future games.

     

    As for endgame and warzone PvP, most of that is personal preference.  So raiding will live on in future games because many (myself included) enjoy the challenge that brings, and PvP instances will differ between games.  That's my guess at least.

     

  • sonoggisonoggi tdot, ONPosts: 1,119Member

    im calling it right here: GW2 will actually be bigger than WoW.

  • FareasFareas boucherville, QCPosts: 75Member

    I honestly think the 3 biggest changes we could see would be because of the payment model showing that AAA MMOs do not need p2p, the other one would be the shattering of the holy trinity finally showing devs thinking outside the box works and finally GW2 is very community oriented(so many MMOs have forgotten that community is what makes the genre what it is).

    Hopefully devs wont start releasing lesser copies of GW2 all over the place.

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,711Member Uncommon

    Personally I give it a 95% chance you make the same disappointed threads about GW2 that you've made about ToR.

    GW2 will fail to utterly and completely innovate MMORPG into a brighter, unimaginably beautiful tomorrow.  Because of this, some posters will consider it a complete attrocity against MMORPGs.  Their complaints will feel justified when the game inevitably loses a ton of subs after launch (even though virtually every game ever experiences the same thing, and the game could go on to be a great success overall.)

    Meanwhile most people will probably be having too much fun playing to bother commenting.

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • stealthbrstealthbr BrasiliaPosts: 1,053Member

    I honestly can not fathom how some of you develop such predictions without even testing the game. Simply, all this speculation is based on merely the words of other people. You need concrete experience to accurately and reasonably formulate such "visions". What may sound terrific on paper, may utterly fail in reality. I advise some of you to actually test things out before delving into the realms of "Game X's influences on the industry". Your amounts of overpraise can only lead to greater disappointment. Try and maintain a reasonable level of expectation to protect yourself and others around you.

  • sonoggisonoggi tdot, ONPosts: 1,119Member

    Originally posted by Axehilt

    GW2 will fail to utterly and completely innovate MMORPG into a brighter, unimaginably beautiful tomorrow. 

    i already has though. if it released right now, even without WvWvW, it would be the most polished, finished and innovative product in the last 5 years.

  • AblestronAblestron Portland, ORPosts: 333Member

    The alpha version of the game I played 2 years ago was already enough to beleive this game would be going places above and beyond the cut of mmos we have seen so far.

    If anything it will show to consumers and to developers that they can create a product that pleases more than just MMO players, and because of this realization they will be able to develop new mechanics and new ideas more openly, and maybe even have the chance to reiterate where they couldnt before due to time constraints.

    My hope is that GW2 proves that the current formula for "successful MMO" and even these distinctions of what an MMO has to be to be successful will be broken, and developers will be able to try new ideas out side of this MMO Mold that we've created.

     

  • sidhaethesidhaethe Corona, CAPosts: 861Member

    Originally posted by Axehilt

    Personally I give it a 95% chance you make the same disappointed threads about GW2 that you've made about ToR.

    GW2 will fail to utterly and completely innovate MMORPG into a brighter, unimaginably beautiful tomorrow.  Because of this, some posters will consider it a complete attrocity against MMORPGs.  Their complaints will feel justified when the game inevitably loses a ton of subs after launch (even though virtually every game ever experiences the same thing, and the game could go on to be a great success overall.)

    Meanwhile most people will probably be having too much fun playing to bother commenting.

    It can't lose subs, because there is no subscription fee.

    image

  • dllddlld GöteborgPosts: 541Member Uncommon

    Will it? No idea, but I certainly hope future developers take into consideration dynamic events over quests and 3 way world pvp instead of 2. Those are just flat out improvements the other things like no raid no trinity etc are still to be tested really.

  • XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Stow Ohio, OHPosts: 148Member

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    NO!

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    image
    image
    image
    image

  • DaylosDaylos St. Louis, MOPosts: 16Member

    Originally posted by Axehilt

     

     Their complaints will feel justified when the game inevitably loses a ton of subs after launch

    Like this kinda sub?

    Cause I'm pretty sure GW2 is Buy to play right? meaning no subscription fees? Or is that wrong?

  • CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member

    Among other things its bound to :

     

    * Bring attention to the B2P model. 

    * Show what Dynamic Events can actually be like (and how to possibly improve on whats wrong in GW2 if anything)

    * Encourage more interactivity in mmorpgs (such as picking up a mug in a bar and drinking it, or bashing it over your friends head instead)

    * Further encourage the use of color options for armor and clothing, thus almost entirely negating the clone effect. 

    * Encourage dungeons being designed in such a way that you can play them mutliple times while having a totally different experience. 

    * Encourage less static worlds (Walls crumble, buildings collapse) 

     

    Thats what I could think of for now. 

  • sidhaethesidhaethe Corona, CAPosts: 861Member

    Originally posted by MMOExposed

    This is all speculation of course, but based on predictions, will GW2 effect the way post GW2 MMO are designed in a similar manner that Everquest 1 and WoW did after their successful run?



    If so, which areas of MMO development will GW2 have the most influence on?

    I'm going to be bold and predict that even if GW2 does succeed beyond a cynic's wildest dreams (outlook uncertain), it will not change the way MMOs are designed in any significant manner.

    First, since MMO design takes so long, the MMOs that we'll be seeing over the next five years have already started being developed, too late to implement the kinds of foundational changes that ArenaNet has built into GW2 from the ground up. That means Dynamic Events instead of quests (or instead of DEs as an additional feature on top of quests), changes to the holy trinity, explorable dungeons in lieu of raiding, WvWvW PvP, etc.

    Second, since GW2 doesn't have a subscription fee, I would be willing to bet that like many players, many devs have simply written it off as a one-off not to be taken seriously at all, and so even if it does succeed, excuses will be made for its success, such as "of course it succeeded, it's F2P" or "of course it succeeded, Asians love that crap" and so on. Its success would be seen as less of something to be emulated and more of an anomaly. That it could succeed based on its features will not even be considered. Of course, if it fails, it will be seen to be because of those samefeatures.

    So, nah.

    image

  • rockin_uforockin_ufo St. Paul, MNPosts: 377Member Uncommon

    Unless GW2 is completely different from it's demo counter-part; there is NO reason it won't be the best MMO since WoW, innovation wise and popularity wise. 

    The problem will more be will players change their views on how to play an MMO?

    Now the question will it lead the way in innovation? Don't know. GW1's very sucessful B2P model never caught on, because it requires a lot of works from devs. Companies will still take the easy way out in getting money. But I do think we will slowly see features trickle into games that are from GW2 (already are, see: Rift's, WoW's 'token system' for dungeon gear), but there will be never be a full on GW2-Clone like there are WoW clones. And that's good. I don't want another stagnant market.

    Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

    First, I'll say the payment model has already changed the MMO industry, and this was introduced with GW1. While there are still AAA MMOs being released with subscriptions, most MMOs nowadays are either free2play, or buy2play. This wasn't true before GW1 came out.

    The only reason AAA MMOs are still doing subscriptions, is because players keep proving that they will gobble up the hype machine and cough up the coin anyway. Thus insuring the investment of these big games. Free2play / Buy2play is a lot riskier for a AAA, because if you aren't able to rely as much on the initial hype, and have to keep delivering on your reputation. Such games have so much overhead that they need to generate a huge profit asap to cover those costs.

    Secondly, overhype is probably the biggest threat to this game right now. I think this game is going to be good, but it has to be realistic as well. Expect the impossible isn't going to help this game be any better, just let it release and then judge it based on how it is, not on your own personal fantasy about what you want it to be.

    Third, if GW2 is successful (and I hope it is) it will encourage more studios to try new things. For one, their combat is quite different from most MMOs (it's a lot more action based, and more interactive). We've seen parts of this in previous games, but they were fleeting. They didn't really catch on, and so we don't tend to see these features much. More importantly, though, Anet has been designing this game with PLAYERS in mind. The current trend is designing games with BUSINESS in mind, and seeing what sells, and mimicking it. Generating what the players want becomes secondary, which imho is absolutely backwards of how games should be made.

  • Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

    I just want to point out that even WAR changed the way future games are designed in a significant manner (public quests anyone?). You don't have to be a mega success to do this. You just have to have a good idea.

    Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Axehilt

    Personally I give it a 95% chance you make the same disappointed threads about GW2 that you've made about ToR.
    GW2 will fail to utterly and completely innovate MMORPG into a brighter, unimaginably beautiful tomorrow.  Because of this, some posters will consider it a complete attrocity against MMORPGs.  Their complaints will feel justified when the game inevitably loses a ton of subs after launch (even though virtually every game ever experiences the same thing, and the game could go on to be a great success overall.)
    Meanwhile most people will probably be having too much fun playing to bother commenting.

     

    Wait gw2 has sub?

    image

  • stayontargetstayontarget Tacoma, WAPosts: 6,068Member Uncommon

    Another thread making bold predictions before they even try the game, way to go community.

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • kalmahkalmah Colorado Springs, COPosts: 47Member

    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Another thread making bold predictions before they even try the game, way to go community.

    Actually, it's already happening.

    Blizzard has announced for the Pandaclysm that features such as dynamic events, a no auto-attack class, and a major focus on PvP are currently being developed. Competing with GW2 me thinks.

    Porn has voice acting, who doesn't skip it?

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by aesperus

    First, I'll say the payment model has already changed the MMO industry, and this was introduced with GW1. While there are still AAA MMOs being released with subscriptions, most MMOs nowadays are either free2play, or buy2play. This wasn't true before GW1 came out.
    The only reason AAA MMOs are still doing subscriptions, is because players keep proving that they will gobble up the hype machine and cough up the coin anyway. Thus insuring the investment of these big games. Free2play / Buy2play is a lot riskier for a AAA, because if you aren't able to rely as much on the initial hype, and have to keep delivering on your reputation. Such games have so much overhead that they need to generate a huge profit asap to cover those costs.
    Secondly, overhype is probably the biggest threat to this game right now. I think this game is going to be good, but it has to be realistic as well. Expect the impossible isn't going to help this game be any better, just let it release and then judge it based on how it is, not on your own personal fantasy about what you want it to be.
    Third, if GW2 is successful (and I hope it is) it will encourage more studios to try new things. For one, their combat is quite different from most MMOs (it's a lot more action based, and more interactive). We've seen parts of this in previous games, but they were fleeting. They didn't really catch on, and so we don't tend to see these features much. More importantly, though, Anet has been designing this game with PLAYERS in mind. The current trend is designing games with BUSINESS in mind, and seeing what sells, and mimicking it. Generating what the players want becomes secondary, which imho is absolutely backwards of how games should be made.

     

    I disagree totally with your first part about gw1 effecting the genre. GW1 isn't even a MMO. What started this new trend of converting over to F2P AAA MMO was from Turbine which started it with LOTRO, which they based it off the flop of DDO, which also isn't a real MMO.

    image

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kalmah


    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Another thread making bold predictions before they even try the game, way to go community.

    Actually, it's already happening.

    Blizzard has announced for the Pandaclysm that features such as dynamic events, a no auto-attack class, and a major focus on PvP are currently being developed. Competing with GW2 me thinks.

     

    Actually the dynamic event thing came from Rift. They copied the "Instant Adventure" concept that rift was talking about before it released the info, and you know how Blizzard likes to mess with the competition. They love releasing info and media around the time that the other competitor does. Example. CAT trailer was released in like within 2 days of GW2's trailer. Blizzard released the info on this new event thing and how it plan to work, like soon after Rift announced what they were doing on the PTS

    image

  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh maasdijkPosts: 406Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by stealthbr

    I honestly can not fathom how some of you develop such predictions without even testing the game. Simply, all this speculation is based on merely the words of other people. You need concrete experience to accurately and reasonably formulate such "visions". What may sound terrific on paper, may utterly fail in reality. I advise some of you to actually test things out before delving into the realms of "Game X's influences on the industry". Your amounts of overpraise can only lead to greater disappointment. Try and maintain a reasonable level of expectation to protect yourself and others around you.

    I hope from the bottom of my heart this game will be major succes, you however, speak the truth when saying you should at least try the game first.

Sign In or Register to comment.