Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelled my SWTOR sub. A few words...

Well today I finally had enough.  Between their terrible optimization of the game, piss poor hero engine, poor mmo design choices, lvl 50 uber RNG pvp gear grind I've had enough.

I watched the show The Republic for a consistent 7-8 months before the game launched.  I was highly looking forward to the game.

I've played it for a month now and no longer have any desire to play the game.

Anyone playing the game atm is essentially paying to beta test the game.

I understand it's a brand new mmo, but after your initial impressions of the first 20-30 levels you start to see and realize how bug ridden and poorly optimized this game is.  I can honestly say that having played WoW for over a year, Vanguard, CoH/V, Champions Online, AoC, Warhammer etc that this game fails on many levels.

The best part of the game is your class quest line as you level up.  I fully expected this, but when you look past this you realize how SUBPAR every other part of the game is.

I could literally write a 25,000 word essay on the problems this game has, but I'm not going to waste that amount of time of the people bothering to read this.

My best advice to anyone reading this that may be interested in SWTOR is that if you are gonna buy the game expect to be fairly entertained for maybe a month while you level your character from 1-50 and expect most of that enjoyment to come from your "main" class quest storyline.  Beyond that don't expect much more out of the game.

I think Bioware had the right idea infusing more engaging story into an mmo, but that they have ultimately failed on too many fronts for this game to have serious long term subscriber retention.

So that's that. 

Ya, I know, ya told me so.

Comments

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I would say that this belongs in the SWTOR thread, but then again, it probably belongs in the forum trash bin.  Like we need another of these threads....

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

That's your opinion and you'r entitled to it.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Shoot. I registered and followed their game since Oct. 08 with over 3000 posts. The sad thing is that I knew it was going to suck after experiencing the beta long ago.

But it was Star Wars. I could "learn to like the linear hand-holding and simplicity."

Couldn't do it.

• lance999lance999 Member UncommonPosts: 12

I cancelled my sub a few days ago aswell. The end game PvP is practically non existant. The pvp at level 10 is exactly the same as it is at 50.

The thing I hated most was the way you couldnt pick what warzone you wanted. It was just random everytime.

The leveling was great, but once i hit 50 i just lost all intrest. So I rerolled, hit 50 again, and lost intrest AGAIN. It just doesnt have a proper end game imo, nothing to do at 50.

Oh and the millions of bugs that somehow got through beta. Some of them are god dam obvious I'm sure that they musta been reported, and I'm sure that EA/Bioware just decided to ignore them. Which makes them extremely lazy.

I had alot of expectations for this game, and I left totaly dissappointed.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by leojreimroc

I would say that this belongs in the SWTOR thread, but then again, it probably belongs in the forum trash bin.  Like we need another of these threads....

If that were the case there would be only be about 3 non-sticky threads in Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » Reviews & Impressions.

One thread for negative reviews.

One thread for positive reviews.

One thread for everything in between.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I want that 25 000 word essay in my office by Monday.

Start typing

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Yeppers, I didn't sub either. God awful design decisions.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Just like I said to the other person who posted a re-sub thread...

DOES THIS NEED YET ANOTHER THREAD?!?!?!?

I'm sorry you did not have fun.  I'm sorry you didn't resub.  

I have gotten to the point where reading threads like this is pointless as they all say fairly similar stuff.  As such, the mods definitely need to combine them.

Waste of a slot in the recent posts category.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Delerious1

Now if only more people could be shown the light and realize what they are actually doing with their $15 i don't wish failure on anyone but companies need to stop using people like this and the only way they will listen to consumers is if they lose money unfortunately.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I'm expecting an essay here :D

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Alioth

Agreed, they failed on too many levels.

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Sorry to hear you felt the same way delerious1. It was unfair to the customers to pay for beta. I've found myself playing tf2 now because there is nothing out there to play. I am hoping TSW will be good. The NA release of Tera will probably suck, but i'll play that too. Then there is D3 which will come out in 2013, Archage which may never come out, and GW2 which is slated for this summer. 

Honestly though, I'm really hoping for EQNEXT to be a killer and come out by the end of this year. But that is just wishful thinking haha.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Originally posted by dronfwar

Originally posted by Alioth

Agreed, they failed on too many levels.

It looks like somebody brought the texture to photoshop and took the smudge tool to it.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Quenchster

It looks like somebody brought the texture to photoshop and took the smudge tool to it.

Is probably up-scaled. I took it from swtor forums. I mean the design of that, just doesn't look like star wars...

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

not gonna say i told you so, but i did argue on these forums a year ago how and why TOR would go downhill. anyone with a bit of critical eye would have been able to forsee this.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

I Love it Throw another log on the fire. Thanks for Sharing In my opinion, you can never warn enough people about this massive trash pile of a game.  Do I hate... Yes, Yes I do (as I pet my Darth Malgus Figure)

I am Loooking forward to Biowares big meeting they will be having here in a next month or so... O.k guys we have a serious problem... What do we do???    Well first off we are going to need some more Money, call Lucas... Ah they told us we where cut off... Well we need at least another couple of million to fix this problem so call somebuddy.   Burn Baby Burn.

At this point and time my Dark side is so strong I think I might be able to pick my house up... at least enough to scare the neighbors.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by rastorg

WAAAAH   WAHHHH !  I FINALLY HAD ENOUGH !!

ALL OF YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW I FEEL !!!  WAAAAHH !  WAAAHHH !!

Maybe if you try harder at making them feel bad they will stay and keep your game alive.

Just makes it easier to not come back. I was a true fan since 2006 when they said they were making an MMO and willing to go back as they add better patches, but seeing how people like this act, I almost don't care if the game dies.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• StoneRoses2StoneRoses2 Member Posts: 21

I love the amount of depth folks put into threads like these. Assuming what he has to say would be inspiring or influential for others to do the same. See how some of you made your mind up long before release. I found it funny that there are those who struggle knowing exactly what they are getting into. It's almost like a Will Ferrel sketch or scene.

"I'm playing the game but I hate it! Seriously, it's aweful, but I am still playing the game. No, not going to stop because I'm still playing the game even thoiugh it's really, really BAD."

It's rather sad and pathetic!

• tavtavtavtav Member Posts: 26

I'm glad you came to your senses eventually at least, there are a lot of fanboys still out there deluding themselves, or worse, putting up with all the atrocious crap simply because it's Star Wars and hoping it'll get better. It won't, not in the ways it needs to. There are too many fundamental flaws. 

And I can't help that this sums it up for many people who didn't listen XD

http://youtu.be/tRVXPXetgMo?t=48s

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by StoneRoses

I love the amount of depth folks put into threads like these. Assuming what he has to say would be inspiring or influential for others to do the same. See how some of you made your mind up long before release. I found it funny that there are those who struggle knowing exactly what they are getting into. It's almost like a Will Ferrel sketch or scene.

"I'm playing the game but I hate it! Seriously, it's aweful, but I am still playing the game. No, not going to stop because I'm still playing the game even thoiugh it's really, really BAD."

It's rather sad and pathetic!

One time I went on a dinosaur themed ride on my honeymoon.  It was at a random carnival we came across.  It cost 5 bucks to ride it.  Horrible ride.  We laughed it was so bad.  But no I didnt jump off and run away.  I paid money for it so I sat it out. 

Sound familiar?  Id probably mess around with Swtor as well if I had actually bought it.  Maybe.  Not sure. 

But I dont see anyone here saying they hate the game and they're still playing it.  So regardless Im not sure where you are coming from.  But if if helps you understand, yea a couple of times Ive bought a game, that I thought was awful.  But I gritted my teeth and kept playing it until I had beat it.  If only to try and get my moneys worth.  Its a common thing.  Easily understood. 

Nothing sad and pathetic about it. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Well today I finally had enough.  Between their terrible optimization of the game, piss poor hero engine, poor mmo design choices, lvl 50 uber RNG pvp gear grind I've had enough.

I watched the show The Republic for a consistent 7-8 months before the game launched.  I was highly looking forward to the game.

I've played it for a month now and no longer have any desire to play the game.

I understand it's a brand new mmo, but after your initial impressions of the first 20-30 levels you start to see and realize how bug ridden and poorly optimized this game is.  I can honestly say that having played WoW for over a year, Vanguard, CoH/V, Champions Online, AoC, Warhammer etc that this game fails on many levels.

The best part of the game is your class quest line as you level up.  I fully expected this, but when you look past this you realize how SUBPAR every other part of the game is.

I could literally write a 25,000 word essay on the problems this game has, but I'm not going to waste that amount of time of the people bothering to read this.

My best advice to anyone reading this that may be interested in SWTOR is that if you are gonna buy the game expect to be fairly entertained for maybe a month while you level your character from 1-50 and expect most of that enjoyment to come from your "main" class quest storyline.  Beyond that don't expect much more out of the game.

I think Bioware had the right idea infusing more engaging story into an mmo, but that they have ultimately failed on too many fronts for this game to have serious long term subscriber retention.

So that's that. 

Of the games listed, which ones did you play at launch.  I see you said that you understand that the game just launched, but unless you played the others at launch, you really don't have much basis for saying it.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

I played every one of those games at launch.   All, but City of Heroes from day 1.

I'm not necessarily talking about the smoothness of the launch.  Despite SWTOR's myriad bugs that really become noticeable as you approach 50 it had a smooth launch.

To elaborate on my opening post these are just "some" of my problems with the game as it currently stands:

1.  Performance of the game.  The games performance is atrocious.  My computer specs well exceed the minimum and surpass the recommended.  Terrible gpu utilization.  How is it possible I have the game on max settings at 1920x1200 resolution in huttball with all those players and fire effects going on and have an average of 5-30% gpu utilization and 5-25fps.  There are people with absolutely beastly rigs having terrible issues in raids, warzones and the fleet instances.    This can't all be Nvidia's fault even though I'm sure they can optimize their drivers to better work with this game.

2.  Ability Delay.  WTF IS THIS?  I have NEVER played another mmo and experienced the ability delay this game has.  They have improved upon this a little as far as I can tell since this weeks maintenance, but it's still there and still degrades the experience.  I'm valor rank 38 atm and dealing with this as a juggernaut has been a hair pulling experience.  I consider myself to have had great patience and fortitude dealing with this absolutely game breaking issue through a month of class questing and pvp'ing.  When I'm tank spec I can't even use a key ability(retaliation) because it will lock me out of using any other damaging ability for anywhere 1-2 gcd's to as many as 3 godamn gcd's in a row.

3.  WAY too much instancing.  I don't need to go into details here as others have already explained this.

4.  Very poorly thought out class design.  The melee force users in this game are the weakest classes in the game.  Um, WTF?  I can see wanting balance, but what you have is every ranged class basically having all the tools melee have and no drawbacks.  Let's look at a jedi consular.  Wears light armor.  Ok.  Except they have a bubble they can preset and then refire while in combat as soon as it comes off effectively ignoring the first 6-8 seconds I am on them factoring in global cooldown time.  Now give them a 2 second super sprint that covers more than double the distance your typical blink from a WoW mage.  Now give them a WoW shaman knockback.  Now give them a channeled ranged spell that has a 50% snare component to it and does high damage.  I don't even have to mention what else they have in their arsenal.

5.  Resolve.  SUCKS.  Half the time doesn't work.  Is actually worse than straight diminishing returns.

6.  Imbalance of ability usage between classes.  This ties into #4.  If you play a melee force user you WILL be using 20+ abilities and you will HAVE to.  And yet you'll still do subpar damage outside of 1 gimic aoe spec when geared at 50.  You would expect the classes that have the most number of actively used abilities and highest potential skill caps to be equal when played well to other simpler classes, but this is not the case.  Contrast this to troopers, bounty hunters, agents and consulars who can literally spam 1-2 damaging attacks and kick your ass on damage both in single target and aoe capacities.

7.  BUGS.  Stupid bugs.  Like the loading screen popping up while running around the fleet or when you are on the loading screen for a warzone.  The game freezing for half a second when you open your inventory.  WTF?  Grouping for warzones and having your group dropped upon completion of the warzone.  Being booted to login screen during a warzone.  This really rocks when it happens during a WZ and you get no valor, no commendations, no nothing from it.   Random boots to login screen.  The game really doesn't crash me anymore completely, but when it did it was fun being put back into a 20-45 minute queue.  And on and on.

8.  Pvp RNG loot system.  I've opened roughly 15 champ bags so far and gotten pants, boots, an implant and earpiece.  By all accounts of been fairly lucky.  It's completely rng.  You do get tokens for the lower end pvp gear and it's not bad, but it's literally worthless once rng favors you and gives you a champ piece to upgrade it.  My last 5 bags in a row have only been tokens(3 per bag).  Consider that anything outside of a relic(think trinket) or implant costs 30-40+ commendations and this is for the lower end pvp gear(3 tiers). 

If I remember right it's 72 commendations for a tier 1 lightsaber.  To put into perspective how long it takes to grind this amount of tokens figure that your typical game lasts 15 minutes and you can earn on average anywhere from 40-100 commendations.  Let's be nice and say you average 100 commendations per game and that you complete the win 3 warzones's daily which provides 1 RNG champ bag.  Let's also be nice and say you get instant queue's between games.  To buy your mainhand lightsaber you are looking at spending timewise, BEST CASE SCENARIO, 40 hours actual pvp warzone  play time over the course of 4 days(to add the daily bag tokens) for a TIER 1 mainhand that will be auto thrown away when a champ bag eventually decides to grant you a weapon.  That is an absolute best case scenario.  Of course due to premades and faction imbalances you may have to spend upwards of 3-8 hours each day just to complete the pvp daily.  Also you don't get instant queue's most of the time and I played on Swiftsure which has possibly the highest population of any server.  So in reality you could be looking at more like 50-60 actual play time hours to acquire what amounts to a trash tier weapon.

Honestly I would have preferred pvp gear required X amounts of commendations.  Even if 1 champ item was the equivalent of 2400 tokens and 3 daily wins to acquire the piece AT LEAST you would be getting something for sure that you wanted in X time that you wouldn't possibly be throwing away in short order.

And the process is repeated again for Battlemaster gear tier 3 only it becomes an even bigger pita to acquire and still suffers from RNG.

This is "JUST" mainly my issues with the pvp side of the game and some miscellaneous bugs.  I was not lying when I said I could write a 25,000 word essay on what's wrong with SWTOR if I so desired.  As it is this is as much as I can muster atm.

Brb, going to the bathroom to wash this sour taste out of my mouth.

• tastywheattastywheat Member Posts: 6

I haven't even started playing, I did play the beta however, and I'm already thinking of asking for a refund.  First of all it took 24 hours to download the game.  Really?  I need to download 20-something GB of game data when I'll be spending the first day or so using only the first 6 GB.  The WoW client does an amazing job of downloading while you play the game.  Did EA/BioWare/whoever really think even half a day is an acceptable wait time?

Once I finally got the client downloaded and I was ready to jump in they ask for my payment information.  Whoa!  One whole day of obsessively checking the progress bar then you give me the exclamation-triangle?  I thought I had 30 days of free play?  Well, truth be told I did have 30 days of free play, when the game started downloading.  Now I'm down to 29 and I haven't even made a freaking character.  They knew I couldn't possibly start the game without giving them some kind of payment information but they still started the timer on my free play period.

I don't like to give my credit card info to any MMO because most are time vampires and I'd probably pay for longer than I want to so I'll be getting a time card later... but I'll have to get the 60-day time card because there is no 30-day time card because they're $@#%!%.

• eagled2eagled2 Member Posts: 13

This post tells me almost nothing about why you hate the game. The comment about optimization almost tells me something but lacks any sign of intelligent research. The one comment that actually tells me something is about the pvp gear grind at level 50. If you are going to take the time to post why a game sucks take the time to do it write and make an intelligent post that includes factual details that someone can actually use to make an intelligent decision. Posts like this that tell us nothing just serve to start another pointless bashing thread.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.