Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers Population During Evening - EST Timezone

Comments

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Mechanism

I very much regret picking a low pop server after hearing about server queues. There are actually some planets during prime time that are completely unpopulated by republic during prime time and only enough people at level 50 on any planet to put together a single ops group.

This is why I never pick low pop servers. Queues are a short term nuisance. :)

My server was routinely listed as FULL, although the queue times were short vs. the most populated servers. Before my month ran out, the population had nosedived considerably and now fluctuates between light and standard. So, if you needed to be on a server with 4 hour queues to now have a server with a healthy population, there is something very wrong here.

You do know that when those queues were causing issues they increased the server capacity. Standard today was probably heavy or full 3 weeks ago.

That said, my server (The Shadowlands) is almost always Heavy and always is during peak times. Tonight (logged off about 8:40 pm CST) there were 153 people in the REPUBLIC fleet and 100 of my guildmates were logged on.  The server was listed as Heavy. There were pover 90 on Corellia which is high level.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by matraque

So, when i play during the evening (from about 7PM to 9:30PM), The fleet varies from 200 to 250 (250 being the highest i've seen).

I always look at the servers before shutting down the game.  ALL of them are either Standard, Heavy or Very Heavy.  What's the problem again?  This game is dying?  I don't think so.  I think the more Bioware fixes problems and add content, the more people will play this amazing story driven MMO.

It doesn't have so much too do about how fast or how well they are improving the game. It's about the coming competition, there's way too many games looking all too promising compared to SWToR that it will only last for about 6 months. So it might not be dying now but it will, soon.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Originally posted by Sideras

So, when i play during the evening (from about 7PM to 9:30PM), The fleet varies from 200 to 250 (250 being the highest i've seen).

I always look at the servers before shutting down the game.  ALL of them are either Standard, Heavy or Very Heavy.  What's the problem again?  This game is dying?  I don't think so.  I think the more Bioware fixes problems and add content, the more people will play this amazing story driven MMO.

It doesn't have so much too do about how fast or how well they are improving the game. It's about the coming competition, there's way too many games looking all too promising compared to SWToR that it will only last for about 6 months. So it might not be dying now but it will, soon.

Thing is if people are already disappointed (raises hand) it's not a good sign. You only have one launch, you know what has happened to all those other games that didn't deliver at launch? It makes no difference what you add a year later, those folks who left rarely are the ones who return. MMOs have become a disposable commodity, no use in paying to play them per month anymore. Might as well pay for what you need as you go...right?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

About 6 months ago I was reading through a few threads in a forum of a different game and someone piped up and said "How is this game ever going to be able to compete with the new crop of mmo's coming out,  games like SW:ToR for instance"

How indeed.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Granted I couldn't care less about other people on the server and have interacted with a grand total or TWO other people that I didn't know from real life (my guild is made up of 7 other people, all that are real life people I've known for years) and that was only because we were waiting on the balloon in DUne sea to get the datacrons on that sandcrawler, I have noticed the populations on our server and they seem good to me.

One thing that I know alot of those complaining about low pop aren't considering is that the given instance they are in may be the smallest of a few instances going. I ahven't seen one person yet mention that they hopped to all the instances for fleet or a given planet to check.

The second, and I'm not picking on Elikal just using his very obvious example, is that he is in Germany (I presume, maybe wrong?) playing on a West Coast US server...at peak time for East Coast US. That's a 3 hour time difference just in the US. Add to that the server being unofficial Oceanic which means the majority of it's players are on 8 to 10 hours after East Coast Peak Time. No wonder it may seem Low pop to Elikal. It is because most of the people on his server are either at work or sleep.

And I'm sure there are many vocal others who don't look at such considerations. Add to that other factors going on behind the scenes that only EA/BW folks know for facts (such as their paramenters for labeling server load and what the related metrics)...just saying the game is most likely doing just fine.

Lastly, as to the person who quit at the 1 month mark just because there weren't enough people at level cap (50)...okay ***really personal opinion incoming, stop reading if you can't handle others opinions***

That's what's wrong with the most of these themepark games in the first place!!! More entertaining time sinks need to make it back into game development amongst other things to dissuade the thought that "endgame is where a game starts". Indeed, the idea of "endgame" should die as it is like a cancer when it comes MMORPGs. Just saying.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Khalathwyr  One thing that I know alot of those complaining about low pop aren't considering is that the given instance they are in may be the smallest of a few instances going. I ahven't seen one person yet mention that they hopped to all the instances for fleet or a given planet to check.

Honestly I'm pretty sure people knew how to check all the instances and change to them within the 1st few days of playing and also wouldn't you actually need to have multiple instances to see them in the bottom right of the map?Thus have a chance to change?Funny the server I quit as I quit the game didn't have any multi instances and all zones I went to including Ilum had less then 30 people,Ilum had 3 and fleet 15 so yeah go multi non existant instances.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Berikai

Originally posted by Khalathwyr  One thing that I know alot of those complaining about low pop aren't considering is that the given instance they are in may be the smallest of a few instances going. I ahven't seen one person yet mention that they hopped to all the instances for fleet or a given planet to check.

Honestly I'm pretty sure people knew how to check all the instances and change to them within the 1st few days of playing and also wouldn't you actually need to have multiple instances to see them in the bottom right of the map?Thus have a chance to change?Funny the server I quit as I quit the game didn't have any multi instances and all zones I went to including Ilum had less then 30 people,Ilum had 3 and fleet 15 so yeah go multi non existant instances.

Well, based on my experience I disagree with you. Taking a moment and looking at the questions being asked in general chat proves that on a relative level.

As for you example there are alot of factors being left out here. Many are ones I mentioned above. Such as server locale, time of day. Don't bother responding though as I'm sure it'll be at "peak time" on a server in a time zone in which you live and not during a holiday or other event for which people may not be on.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by gervaise1

Also http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/servers/list/ shows the status of all the servers. You can check on any server; the graphs lift the server status data. Note: they make no claims about population.

I prefer this one to check the server status:

EU: http://www.torstatus.net/shards/eu/trends

US: http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends

You can see straight away that the amount of full servers have bottomed out to nothing, the heavy servers are on a massive decline and the amount of light servers are going up through the roof. If that isn't obvious population decline I don't know what is.

• teoyaomiquiteoyaomiqui Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Also http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/servers/list/ shows the status of all the servers. You can check on any server; the graphs lift the server status data. Note: they make no claims about population.

You can see straight away that the amount of full servers have bottomed out to nothing, the heavy servers are on a massive decline and the amount of light servers are going up through the roof. If that isn't obvious population decline I don't know what is.

'They' have said that EA/BW has raised server caps, resulting in more light servers w/o population decline.

I don't buy it, but I see why some may.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Yesterday on Frostclaw EU server during EU daytime on a weekday, 100+ on fleet, 80+ on Dromund Kaas, 60+ on Korriban and thats just 3 places with the server being "Light". Yeah, the server population is declining...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by teoyaomiqui

'They' have said that EA/BW has raised server caps, resulting in more light servers w/o population decline.
    I don't buy it, but I see why some may.

The problem is that the definition for each of those levels can change, and nobody but BioWare would know. The population caps could change up or down and again, nobody but Bioware would know. The whole system could be dynamic...where the server cap isn't set at a specific amount and it's based on the load, which may change depending on how many people are on a particular planet or where the starter area has more weight in determining the server's status.

It's just a poor way in general to determine the health of the game or even of any particular server. It's even worse when you get into making charts out of the data.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Xerenix

Yesterday on Frostclaw EU server during EU daytime on a weekday, 100+ on fleet, 80+ on Dromund Kaas, 60+ on Korriban and thats just 3 places with the server being "Light". Yeah, the server population is declining...

But it is :)

..Cake..

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

These graphs have been debunked quite often by other people, with even the chart creators explaining several times what their charts really gather for data and why their charts aren't representative for player population.

Some of the reasons why those should be looked at more sceptically than even Xfire or Raptr:

- player numbers that in the first weeks would make a server show up as 'full', now only say 'standard' or 'heavy' with the same player numbers. For example, 1500-2500 would in the first weeks have been enough to have a server register as 'full', now it'll merely register as 'standard' or 'heavy' with such setting.

- status changes like that have been happening up till half of January

- server status isn't equal for all servers: where one server will say 'heavy', another will at the same number of players say 'standard'. Some servers that will say 'heavy' at 2100 logged in players (which is more than most high population servers in other MMO's have at peak times), while other servers will say 'standard' at that number of players logged in.

Just saying. Yes, there has been some decrease, but those charts use false data for population analysis and isn't really representative to that trend. As is actually wellknown to most.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Granted I couldn't care less about other people on the server and have interacted with a grand total or TWO other people that I didn't know from real life (my guild is made up of 7 other people, all that are real life people I've known for years) and that was only because we were waiting on the balloon in DUne sea to get the datacrons on that sandcrawler, I have noticed the populations on our server and they seem good to me.

One thing that I know alot of those complaining about low pop aren't considering is that the given instance they are in may be the smallest of a few instances going. I ahven't seen one person yet mention that they hopped to all the instances for fleet or a given planet to check.

The second, and I'm not picking on Elikal just using his very obvious example, is that he is in Germany (I presume, maybe wrong?) playing on a West Coast US server...at peak time for East Coast US. That's a 3 hour time difference just in the US. Add to that the server being unofficial Oceanic which means the majority of it's players are on 8 to 10 hours after East Coast Peak Time. No wonder it may seem Low pop to Elikal. It is because most of the people on his server are either at work or sleep.

And I'm sure there are many vocal others who don't look at such considerations. Add to that other factors going on behind the scenes that only EA/BW folks know for facts (such as their paramenters for labeling server load and what the related metrics)...just saying the game is most likely doing just fine.

Lastly, as to the person who quit at the 1 month mark just because there weren't enough people at level cap (50)...okay ***really personal opinion incoming, stop reading if you can't handle others opinions***

That's what's wrong with the most of these themepark games in the first place!!! More entertaining time sinks need to make it back into game development amongst other things to dissuade the thought that "endgame is where a game starts". Indeed, the idea of "endgame" should die as it is like a cancer when it comes MMORPGs. Just saying.

"Granted I couldn't care less about other people on the server and have interacted with a grand total or TWO other people that I didn't know from real life (my guild is made up of 7 other people, all that are real life people I've known for years) and that was only because we were waiting on the balloon in DUne sea to get the datacrons on that sandcrawler" 

Why are you playing an MMO game again ?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Calling BS on OP. Never seen anywhere near that many people in a fleet or any zone.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

This game shows to us in first person how society haves no idea how to enjoy life:
    If they bring few severs all whiners came here to tell how awful its to wait 3 hours just to enter the game, but they bring lots of servers, and now they whinny about the first month bleed and the fewer players available, my answer is get a REAL LIFE.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Even if Bioware releases a statement saying they have 5 million subs and adding new servers, those same people will be saying what a failure the game is.

I wouldn't let it bother you.

This right here.  Seriously, they're ACTIVELY looking for things that indicate the game is in decline.  See the posts and threads for yourself. 

I can't imagine a life more pathetic than one dedicating so much time to bashing something I don't like.  I'd rather do something I DO like.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I don't have any hard numbers, just an impression.

I started playing about 10 days ago.   Aside from fleet, i've never seen over 30 people in a zone.  Including fleet, I have never seen over 200 (i think 131 in fleet was the most).

Now, the numbers themselves don't matter to me.  However, it is absolutely the emptiest MMO i have ever played.  We're only a month from launch, so the game is still very new, there should be tons of people, especially in the lower level areas.  I hardly ever see anyone.  Whereas in beta, there wasn't a single quest during which i didn't run into other people doing it, now on live, I'm soloing in an empty world.  Considering how small and walled off all the areas are, i SHOULD be running into people.  

Now, I'm not particularly social and i don't need "human interaction" to enjoy a game, but i kinda like to know that there are other people about.. it helps the world feel alive.

I'm level 20 now, i've been 17-20 for the past 3-4 days and i haven't seen a single Hammer station group forming or a single item posted for sale in trade or general chat.  I've been to several "group" areas on Taris with the hope of "running into" some people doing group stuff and there were never any, so i just soloed those areas with my companion.

Obviously the game isn't dead.  There are millions of players... somewhere.  But i ran into people more often in Fallen Earth (and if you've ever played FE, you know just HOW empty that massive world is) than i do in TOR.  I don't know if it's too many servers, or too fast leveling, or badly designed grouping or what, but the game feels competely empty and dead even though - as all evidence shows - it obviously is not. 

TL;DR:  despite massive amount of players, the game still feels really dead.  sure, it may be an illusion, but it's not really a good illusion to create imo..

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by arieste

I don't have any hard numbers, just an impression.

I started playing about 10 days ago.   Aside from fleet, i've never seen over 30 people in a zone.  Including fleet, I have never seen over 200 (i think 131 in fleet was the most).

Now, the numbers themselves don't matter to me.  However, it is absolutely the emptiest MMO i have ever played.  We're only a month from launch, so the game is still very new, there should be tons of people, especially in the lower level areas.  I hardly ever see anyone.  Whereas in beta, there wasn't a single quest during which i didn't run into other people doing it, now on live, I'm soloing in an empty world.  Considering how small and walled off all the areas are, i SHOULD be running into people.  

Now, I'm not particularly social and i don't need "human interaction" to enjoy a game, but i kinda like to know that there are other people about.. it helps the world feel alive.

I'm level 20 now, i've been 17-20 for the past 3-4 days and i haven't seen a single Hammer station group forming or a single item posted for sale in trade or general chat.  I've been to several "group" areas on Taris with the hope of "running into" some people doing group stuff and there were never any, so i just soloed those areas with my companion.

Obviously the game isn't dead.  There are millions of players... somewhere.  But i ran into people more often in Fallen Earth (and if you've ever played FE, you know just HOW empty that massive world is) than i do in TOR.  I don't know if it's too many servers, or too fast leveling, or badly designed grouping or what, but the game feels competely empty and dead even though - as all evidence shows - it obviously is not. 

TL;DR:  despite massive amount of players, the game still feels really dead.  sure, it may be an illusion, but it's not really a good illusion to create imo..

I think it would have to do with your server.

For example, last night I was on coruscant on an alt,  and there were too many people in my zone (roughly 150)  and I couldn't get a mob to save my life.  I waited for clickies, and I didn't even bother harvesting mats.

HOWEVER.  On my SAME server.  My buddy rolled an alt, and started on Ord Mantell,  and he said the place seemed empty.

The fleet was packed to 200 (which is cap).   My server is a US PvE server,  at the time it was on heavy load - for whatever thats worth.   SWTOR is a classic case of bigger isn't always better.  They could have created an amazing game utilizing half the travel time.

• LoneMonkLoneMonk Member Posts: 11

I created an account just to respond to your post. Bioware / EA CHANGED the definition of Light/Standard/Heavy/etc when population numbers plumeted as the first free month expired for most people.

I can't find the link, but I think it was here in the mmorpg.com forums, someone posted that they used to log in during the night and the population was always light on most servers. Voila! on January 20, he said the servers were suddenly changed to say "Standard" even though he noticed the population had dropped.

So, sneaky, sneaky - standard business deception. My own server is dead. Most 50s who still play re-rolled on a high population server, because there was nothing to do. I also am considering rerolling.

Oddly, my server's population still appears "Standard" during the evening even though there has been a huge drop in the number of people on both sides. They probably lowered the heck out of the "Standard" treshhold.

Originally posted by LoneMonk

I created an account just to respond to your post. Bioware / EA CHANGED the definition of Light/Standard/Heavy/etc when population numbers plumeted as the first free month expired for most people.

I can't find the link, but I think it was here in the mmorpg.com forums, someone posted that they used to log in during the night and the population was always light on most servers. Voila! on January 20, he said the servers were suddenly changed to say "Standard" even though he noticed the population had dropped.

So, sneaky, sneaky - standard business deception. My own server is dead. Most 50s who still play re-rolled on a high population server, because there was nothing to do. I also am considering rerolling.

This is the second time someone said they've changed the the definition of "light, standard, heavy, etc."  and the last time I heard they changed it,    is when they changed it for an increase in population.  Now you say they changed it for a decrease in population.  I still haven't read any links, or seen any dev commentary on the dev tracker about the change.. nor in the patch notes...   so right now, to me, it looks like everyone is saying they are changing the definitions with no proof.

Not saying you are lying,  new account first poster,  I'm just saying, right now I have no proof.

well there is no "proof" other than anecdotal evidence from user accounts, like mine. I'm enjoying the game, and obviously still playing it. Not posting here to bash the game, but to expose deception, as I see it.

so it's our word against the developer's. take that for what it's worth.

Actually I found the original post, and my own observations agree.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1068374-Swtor-server-statistic-and-population!/page2

"Looks like Swtor starting to lose some.

Yeah, those kind of links aren't really showing populations. Just another site that takes the light/medium/heavy/etc definitions, samples them, and applied it over time.

I do find it kind of sad that Bioware has, once again, redefined their definitions of light, standard, and heavy as of today tho. Had the sneaky feeling they'd pull something like this and sure enough they did. A given population on a server today will now qualify as 'standard' whereas the same or even higher population would have qualified as 'light' like it did just yesterday. You'll see graphs like the one on swtorarena.com showing a stable or even upward swing in activity.

I played on two west coast servers that never saw anything other than 'light' in the off hours over the last couple weeks or so; especially not in the morning (even on the weekend). I could say the same with most of the west coast servers in the morning with a few exceptions. Now the servers I played, and nearly all the other ones I would see as light when logging in are all 'standard'. A lot of people must have bought the game yesterday and spread themselves out fairly evenly for this to happen.

Can't say I altogether blame BW because people are using those "difference over time" graphs to actually indicate the game is dying, but BW should wear big boy pants and not redefine their server population definitions especially since they and the developers of these sites have addressed the issue with the public. I guess its one way to give investors faith in the product.

Yup, its total tinfoil hat stuff, but reading between the lines and catching the small details about a company is how I make my living. "

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Oddly, my server's population still appears "Standard" during the evening even though there has been a huge drop in the number of people on both sides. They probably lowered the heck out of the "Standard" treshhold.

Ahh yes.  If no facts exist to support an argument....MAKE THEM UP!

The Shadowlands - last night 8PM EST ~1700 using rough /who (Republic side)

Hyperspace Cannon - last night 10PM EST ~1900 using rough /who (Empire side)

Both servers are now regularly heavy in the evening hours (During the Christmas break when both were 'full' both were regularly over 2000 using /who)

Glad I invested in Aluminum - especially here!

Actually I found the original post, and my own observations agree.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1068374-Swtor-server-statistic-and-population!/page2

"Looks like Swtor starting to lose some.

Yeah, those kind of links aren't really showing populations. Just another site that takes the light/medium/heavy/etc definitions, samples them, and applied it over time.

I do find it kind of sad that Bioware has, once again, redefined their definitions of light, standard, and heavy as of today tho. Had the sneaky feeling they'd pull something like this and sure enough they did. A given population on a server today will now qualify as 'standard' whereas the same or even higher population would have qualified as 'light' like it did just yesterday. You'll see graphs like the one on swtorarena.com showing a stable or even upward swing in activity.

I played on two west coast servers that never saw anything other than 'light' in the off hours over the last couple weeks or so; especially not in the morning (even on the weekend). I could say the same with most of the west coast servers in the morning with a few exceptions. Now the servers I played, and nearly all the other ones I would see as light when logging in are all 'standard'. A lot of people must have bought the game yesterday and spread themselves out fairly evenly for this to happen.

Can't say I altogether blame BW because people are using those "difference over time" graphs to actually indicate the game is dying, but BW should wear big boy pants and not redefine their server population definitions especially since they and the developers of these sites have addressed the issue with the public. I guess its one way to give investors faith in the product.

Yup, its total tinfoil hat stuff, but reading between the lines and catching the small details about a company is how I make my living. "

SWTOR arena is a better indicator:

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

But if that were the case, we would have seen a tremendous jump, as there would be a big difference between light and very heavy, or full.    Again, theres no real proof,  and I too play on a west coat server and very rarely see it under the standard mark,  ,  and its been pretty consistent through my entire time playing.  (I play on hyperspace cannon).   You can see the status server by server... I think most have been pretty consistent as well.. you can either see a good decline,  or you can see that they've stayed pretty populated (as far as server load goes).  There doesn't seem to be a big jump across the board.