Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: On F2P Success and EQNext

13»

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I returned.

I then realized that the reasons why I had left in the first place were still all valid, and left again. Still they did get a few bucks off me (bought some SC in the triple cash sale and bought the latest expansion). Well played SOE.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

More PR BS. If "Absolutely zero exodus" then wtf is the rest of my guild? Why does my friends list  say everyone is offline? Maybe if you guys would spend half the time on the game as you do sc items, pvp wouldnt be dead, still broken, and a joke.

Screw EXNext, wtf would anyone play that after the EQ2 dissaster? How you treat customers in EQ2 will have an effect on EQNext.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by convict

More PR BS. If "Absolutely zero exodus" then wtf is the rest of my guild? Why does my friends list  say everyone is offline? Maybe if you guys would spend half the time on the game as you do sc items, pvp wouldnt be dead, still broken, and a joke.

Screw EXNext, wtf would anyone play that after the EQ2 dissaster? How you treat customers in EQ2 will have an effect on EQNext.

One of the things that made eq and eq2 great was that they didnt cater to PvPers.  EQ1 had no PvP to speak and EQ2 didnt get much til later on in the game's lifestyle.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by teakbois

One of the things that made eq and eq2 great was that they didnt cater to PvPers.  EQ1 had no PvP to speak and EQ2 didnt get much til later on in the game's lifestyle.

That's your opinion, I dissagree, I think what made eq good, was the genre was new. EQ2 isn't doing great, and before they slaughtered pvp, the pvp server was the busiest, now that pvp has been abandoned, it's one of the emptiest.

also-  MMORPG: The Dungeon Maker is a brilliant addition to the game.  Can we expect more functionality now that it seems like the community loves the feature so much?

uh, what's the pay scale from these guys nowadays?

• Josh007CLJosh007CL Member CommonPosts: 38

This game has turned to utter crap. I've played since 2005 and back in the earlier days it was great. The game was actually hard and you were rewarded for the work. Players got together and did epic quests that took us to raids that were actually hard. Now the game is all fluff like WoW. Everything is easy and full of fluff items. I logged in one day and there was some stupid race game that took up a large part of a zone. More fluff stuff like WoW.

Note to SoE: We don't want that crap, if we did we would play WoW.

That's your opinion, I dissagree, I think what made eq good, was the genre was new. EQ2 isn't doing great, and before they slaughtered pvp, the pvp server was the busiest, now that pvp has been abandoned, it's one of the emptiest.

also-  MMORPG: The Dungeon Maker is a brilliant addition to the game.  Can we expect more functionality now that it seems like the community loves the feature so much?

uh, what's the pay scale from these guys nowadays?

It wasnt the busiest, AB was busier.  And the PvP servers were what, 10% of the total population?  Why cater to the whiniest portion of the population especially when it can adversely affect the other 90%.

Also:

MMORPG: The Dungeon Maker isnt as crappy as people thought it would be.  Can we expect more functionality now that it seems like the community doesnt hate the feature?

would be the more appropriate question

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Dungion finder, and create your own dungion are both failures. All one has to to is go look at the hundreds of post on the eq2 forums to realize how bw bad it is.

There is an obvoius disconect betwween smokejumper and the actual playerbase. As in he does not understand the hundreds of complaints about why it is not working. Instead they give us extra dungion mark days trying to entice folks to play it.

He disappears for a month I kid you not he left for vacation on 12/27 that was his last past until last night on 1/24. Then he shows up and says oh you all missed me lol. Ha we were all hoping that soe had fired his for incompetence, however we have to look at what has happened to realize soe rewards folks for failure. Look at where medley is right now.

All I have to say is look at this sham of an interview, one has to wonder if sj got to write his own questions, so he had answers ready and waiting.

Honestly you cant find a senior producer who is more out of phase with his current customer base than SJ is at the moment. don't believe me here are some threads for you.

discussing this article

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=514084

discussing raid problems

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=513920

discussing lack of content being made except the store cash shop

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=513995

Just take a look see at that stuff and tell me he don't live in la la land now. Sorry but somebody has to call SJ a liar.  The lying about dungeon maker and finder being a huge hit, not true,  the lie about 0 Exodus again not true just look at the threads I posted. I personally canceled my account and the wife's account, and I sent SJ a 5 page letter in his pm box as too why we left.  I know many vets personally who after the aod xpac with zero content in it left as well.  Now were being told hey 4-6 months before the next content update that was supposed to already be finished and it the works to be released.

Trust SJ at your own peril as he is full of it, or at least in the answers he gave in this interview.

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by dagon3

Originally posted by precious328

I e-mailed Smed months ago about EQNext and this was his response:

Me: Being nickel & dimed to death is where the MMO is heading, e.g., cross-promotional items, cash shops, real money auction houses, etc. It's being done by everyone; it's getting old.

Bring it back, John.  A person who purchases the game and pays the monthly fee should be able to obtain any item in the game though hard work.

Smed: I mostly agree with you. However there  is a new reality out there for companies that run online games. That reality is that f2p seems to be the new norm in business models.

Another thing i would like to add is , all these things there adding to the cash shop are not attainable through hard work , This is one true load of BS especially when it comes to mounts and flyers its almost become pay to win , its not quite there yet but its heading that direction yes not all the items have stats YET , Minus the gear they added with the last x pac for doing dungeons.

But on the direction soe is heading with the game i can almost bet you in the near future they will.

The mounts, all of them already have stats on them , this is just the beggining they will slowly start adding them little by little so nobody notices.

This is why i no longer play .

That reality is that f2SPEND seems to be the new norm in business models.

Its not free to play , its free to log in and spend to play .

The only problem with EQ2X is the fact that the initial limitations are too great. The races and classes you have access to are slim and none. This generated a very poor experience if you ask me.

The mounts have always had stats on them, just like the in game mounts.  they arent superior, nor are they inferior.

The cash shop has been around for a few years now and it hasnt headed down towards pay 2 win, you just assume it will.

Really lets take a look!,

These are your free quest mounts well some of them ...

Carpet mount from qst....http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Carpet_of_El%27khazi

Horses after hitting lvl 20  http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Gorowyn_Destrier_Whistle

Even the new flying mounts from quests!  http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Snow_Gryphon

Now some marketplace mounts for ground . You have to buy ..

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/84658

One example of flying mounts for sale out of many ..You have to buy..

http://eq2wire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pegasus_examine.png

Like i said i dont care if you can buy them but make them attainable IN GAME also , Same with all the damn armor and weapons that they beef up the appearance to but somehow forget to add any new ones in the game . If you want nice looking gear your paying for it period , a nice looking mount pay , weapons pay, decorations for your house pay.. Shall i go on .?

No need you get my point .. Anyway i proved my point.

/done with this forum game sucks now end of story..

For me anyway you all enjoy i got 5 years out of it before the free to spend merger...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this post somebody put on the eq2 forums pretty much exactly how it is now!

Dev 1: Now that we got these rubes buying anything we put up for sale ..what are we going to do for content?

Dev 2: I don't know ...making content is such a pain. I wish they could just make thier own content and shut up.

Dev 1: That's it!! .....we will give them tools for them to make thier own content ...Will call it dungeon maker or something.

Dev 2: Do you think they will go for it ?

Dev 1: These fools?? ...of cousre they will ...why pay our guys to make content when I can get these buffoons to make it for us and pay us at the same time.

Dev 2: Great ...I'll send a bunch of guys from our team to work on another game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by SBFord

MMORPG: How have the longtime Veterans of EQ2 responded to the changes? Have you had any exodus, or do you instead see more former players coming back now that the price barrier is gone?

Dave Georgeson: Absolutely zero exodus.

I like EQ2 but cmon - no way thats true

the exodus may have been balanced by new players but some players did leave

I agree that Smokejumper sucks and its quite obvious that EQ2 has gone downhill since he has been in control.  He also says snarky things at times that may be true, but you just dont say them anyway in his position.  I am not sure about the current state of EQ1, maybe he is doing a great job over there or something to be keeping his job.

That said, I dont think AoD was his fault, nor do i think it was Smedleys.  I really suspect they had no plans whatsoever to release an expansion this year but Kaz Harai and the higher ups said 'hey, we had a shit year with the hacks and all, we need some damn revenue.  So they had to slap together this pack, make some new features (they did a very good job with the Beastlord) and if my theory is correct really didnt do a terrible job with AoD all things considered.  If it was the plan all along then it falls short of acceptable.

The dungeon maker really is better than people thought it would be, but its nowhere near robust enough.  If they add another 20 or so maps and a bunch of other options it will be a cool addition.  I know people that are having fun with it, but its certainly not 'brilliant' by any stretch of the word.

Like i said i dont care if you can buy them but make them attainable IN GAME also , Same with all the damn armor and weapons that they beef up the appearance to but somehow forget to add any new ones in the game . If you want nice looking gear your paying for it period , a nice looking mount pay , weapons pay, decorations for your house pay.. Shall i go on .?

For me anyway you all enjoy i got 5 years out of it before the free to spend merger...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are comparing newbie quest mounts but not the mounts that take actual work to get in game?

There are most certainly mounts with better stats than any of those in game.  Sure some are raid drops, but they are out there.

And its not like those stats make a difference anyway, no one would pay for the stats.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by finnmacool1

EQII is simply one of the best high-fantasy MMOs that’s ever been made. It’s feature-rich, content laden, constantly evolving, and has a community that’s perpetually growing and changing. As an example of that particular flavor of MMO, there is no comparison. Other games have larger audiences, but no one can claim to be better than EQII, and no new game can possibly ever catch up in feature depth and content.

I wouldnt expect him to actually tell the truth given his employer and position but this part had me rolling on the floor laughing. This game is a thousand percent better than at release but that says more about $oe pushing crap out before its ready to turn a buck than for the quality of eq2. The game has always had the feel of a bland,souless, substanceless rice cake. There are many much better games in the genre including eq1,vanguard,and wow.

Yes, I agree with you. EQ2 is a fantastic game. What is NOT fantastic is the slimy greed from most game creators now adays.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Such strong feelings, and a game that can evoke such deserves recognition. On a positive note, I just started and I LOVE the game. My first MMORPG was SWTOR and it was fun but not open

Looking forward to EQNext and an inviting chance of something different than the current convention with different clothes.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by drbaltazar

most stayed away while shaffing at not being able to test this supposedly unplayable game because you needed a 4 ghertz Cpu.

What is shaffing?

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73
    Nice interview. I can't wait to try EQnext. I have been a huge fan of EQ since I was a teenager.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by itpaladin

most stayed away while shaffing at not being able to test this supposedly unplayable game because you needed a 4 ghertz Cpu.

What is shaffing?

Yea i got to ask that as well, and 4.0 ghz to run swtor yea right i run it with a 3.1

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

When I read this EQNext part of the interview where he said it will not be what we expect but High Fantasy and Norrath - it suddenly hit me like a force of nature ... has anyone ever considered keeping the Norrath world - but literally transported into the future? I mean what would happen if Norrath is moving on for further thousand years? Would it not make sense to develop technology as well?

Like a mix out of Magic and Cyber scene? A bit like "Longest Journey 2" (remaining colorful and exotic and switching between future technology settings and "ancient habitats"), Shadowrun (darker themes for the Freeport side) and Ghost in the Shell (the possibilities of the net!)?

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by erictlewis

Originally posted by itpaladin

What is shaffing?

Yea i got to ask that as well, and 4.0 ghz to run swtor yea right i run it with a 3.1

I believe he was referring to needing a 4.0 ghz cpu for eq2 when it was first released.  It had horrendous performance issues back then:)

• dagon3dagon3 Member Posts: 117

So you are comparing newbie quest mounts but not the mounts that take actual work to get in game?

There are most certainly mounts with better stats than any of those in game.  Sure some are raid drops, but they are out there.

And its not like those stats make a difference anyway, no one would pay for the stats.

Really man ? seeing how they all have the same speed it doesnt matter what mount it is and the flying mount is not old its still doesnt have any stats. Give up man been playing 5 years i think i know whats in the game . And the stats arent a big deal like you said its the fact you CANT get any of the marketplace mounts in the game you have to BUY them.

THAT WAS MY POINT!

Just admit the devs spend more time making marketplace items then they do on the actual game .

Go to kerra isle and quest there for that weapon with 12 str or 12 wis on it ..

Why dont they fix the items they destroyed then add items to the marketplace?

Ill tell you , because they want your cash its more important.

Never said the game was bad i said it went to shit!

It WAS a good game ..

EQ next will probabably be even worse soe thrives and has a fetish for cash shops!

Enjoy..

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

seriously... you guys are upset becuase the Free to play version has limits to encourage you to play as a paid member? SOE has to make money too. Sure they have made mistakes in their time like not making EQ2 like EQ1, but EQ2 is still a great game. I think tis main downfall is it never had near as many players on servers as WoW. EQ2 always had a better communty and was more enjoyable in my opinion. I am excited to see what EQNExt is. I hope that being F2P does not mess it up, I would rather pay a monthly fee and get a premium quality game.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II