Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day one on the trial but I don't have a masters degree in Physics or Rocket Science

silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38

Complicated game???? Yes.

Help???? Please.

Not your normal MMORPG!

Comments

• UladhUladh Member Posts: 5

welcome to eve :) follow the quest line at start then you should prob read up on the different areas of eve and what might interest you as its hard to do everything you need to pick something and work towards it, theres a tool called EVEMON that can help you set up skill training queues to give you the most effective training queue for what ever u want

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by silverseed71

Help???? Please.

Help with?

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

You will have to read. read read read. Follow the tutorial, that teaches you all the basic aspects of Eve. Plus it leads you on to the story arc,

• silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38

It looks awesome. Spectacular graphics. I just haven't had time to sit down and do it. Definitely not like your other MMO's where you can just load and go. It does need some investigating. I am looking forward to playing.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

Cha Cha, I think, that now is game so much easier then in the past. They did big load of work on it. So if you are following the tutorial, what is realy important in this game, you will know all the basic without problem. But I understand you, I did fell same like you.

I am looking forward on World od Darkness, it can be amazing game if CCP will make it.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Just started myself, the interface looks a bit intimidating at first but give it a few days and do the tutorials. Step by step it will become clearer.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

do tutorial. be prepared to read a lot. have patience.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Yup do the tutorials, they are very helpful and start you off with some items you will be needing. It may seem time intensive in the beginning in order to understand everything, but remember that skills in the game develop over real-time without any in-game action, so you can be skilling up while reading up :)

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• ThaWatcherThaWatcher Member UncommonPosts: 11

The tutorial is definitely a great addition to EVE, if you follow the tutorial you understand the basics. It's the most complicated game out there afaik, but it's definitely rewarding when you progress.

There are a couple of useful sites out there (after you finish the tutorial). Be sure to check out the EVE wiki:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/About_EVE_Online

Ps: In the beginning there wasn't even a tutorial and the learning curve was pretty much like this:

Fly safe!

Fight to Survive, Survive to Fight

The difference between a killer and a soldier is a question of loyalty

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

As others have stated, read alot and find some Tutorials online. I just started the game myself (For the third time, the 2 first times i just gave up cause of the learning curve) but i have a friend who had been playing it for awhile longer now and got him to help me in the start :)

I think there is a help chat channel you can join ingame, might be a good idea to join that if you want to ask questions and get some tips etc.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Proson

As others have stated, read alot and find some Tutorials online. I just started the game myself (For the third time, the 2 first times i just gave up cause of the learning curve) but i have a friend who had been playing it for awhile longer now and got him to help me in the start :)

I think there is a help chat channel you can join ingame, might be a good idea to join that if you want to ask questions and get some tips etc.

Pretty much this. I am also giving it a try after 3 or 4 past attempt at trying to "get it". I am sad to say the fault lay with me and not the game. What I mean by this is that the mindset I brought to the game weas the same mindset used in more "themepark" MMOs. You know, being led by the hand to the next quest, very shallow combat system. In short, I was lazy and didn't do my research.

This time around, I read up on the many great guides on-line (yeah, even the outdated ones were helpful) and approached the game with the new mindset off "what do I want to accomplish in the game". Have to say, having a blast and have subbed after finishing the free trial.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38

Ok, doing the tutorial. I am in space and it is telling me to click on the acceleration gate????? Not seeing that.

• hansolo42hansolo42 Member Posts: 30

what would you do in other games if you search something? rotate the camera?

pm me for eve online invites

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

If you warped to the area where you expect the gate look at the list of objects in the right panel also called an overview - it should be listed.  It'll have an arrow type icon.

If it's not there you will probably need to turn it on.

Go up to where it says "overview" hover your pointer over the three horizontal lines and right click.

Click on "open overview settings"

Go to the "filter tab"

Scroll down and click on the "celestial" drop down menu.

Check and see if "warp gate" has an X if not put an X.

I think that fixes the problem.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

i think i have read all of these responses and not one of them is correct. Well, to me. Yes, I concede in doing the tutorials...join a corp asap. It doesn't matter what it is, just join one. All of these questions...i.e..."where's the acceleration gate?" would be much better, no...infinately better answered by someone who you are INGAME with.

Once you join, and it's a corp worth a crap, they will give you their TS/Vent info. Lo and behold, you have a group of people one or two clicks away that will field all of your newbie questions. Guess what happens then? You start to trust complete strangers and they can see you grow into the pod pilot you want to be. It's almost like CCP intended for this to happen.

For the record, I'm not advocating that you DON'T do the tutorials, by all means..do them...but you are asking on a non EvE forum where an acceleration gate is? Not that i'm demeaning or belittleling your question, but please understand OP, this type of question is covered in the first 15 mins of the very first tutorial..imagine the questions you will be forming soon.

You will need a section on this forum just for all of these questions. I felt a bit overwhelmed at first, then about 6 months later, I started dabbling with POS's and simple and complex reactions..and I thought I was in statistics class again.

You very basic EvE foundation of knowledge can be gleaned from the tutorials, but you are setting yourself up for countless hours of frustration if you don't have knowledgeable and experienced ingame pilots to assist you.

Good luck in your search for a corp with active members and a willingness to teach new fish the ropes. It will make or break your EvE experience.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• ThaWatcherThaWatcher Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by CactusJack

i think i have read all of these responses and not one of them is correct. Well, to me. Yes, I concede in doing the tutorials...join a corp asap. It doesn't matter what it is, just join one. All of these questions...i.e..."where's the acceleration gate?" would be much better, no...infinately better answered by someone who you are INGAME with.

Once you join, and it's a corp worth a crap, they will give you their TS/Vent info. Lo and behold, you have a group of people one or two clicks away that will field all of your newbie questions. Guess what happens then? You start to trust complete strangers and they can see you grow into the pod pilot you want to be. It's almost like CCP intended for this to happen.

For the record, I'm not advocating that you DON'T do the tutorials, by all means..do them...but you are asking on a non EvE forum where an acceleration gate is? Not that i'm demeaning or belittleling your question, but please understand OP, this type of question is covered in the first 15 mins of the very first tutorial..imagine the questions you will be forming soon.

You will need a section on this forum just for all of these questions. I felt a bit overwhelmed at first, then about 6 months later, I started dabbling with POS's and simple and complex reactions..and I thought I was in statistics class again.

You very basic EvE foundation of knowledge can be gleaned from the tutorials, but you are setting yourself up for countless hours of frustration if you don't have knowledgeable and experienced ingame pilots to assist you.

Good luck in your search for a corp with active members and a willingness to teach new fish the ropes. It will make or break your EvE experience.

I kind of disagree; it's true that you can get a lot of help from more experienced players. However I had a great time trying out different things in the beginning (shooting a station to see what happened, mining, doing missions etc).

When you have an idea what you'd like to do, you can find a corp that is focussed on those things. There are more than enough corps to choose from so take your time and find the right one for you.

Next to that, if you ask your questions ingame you will surely get help.

Fight to Survive, Survive to Fight

The difference between a killer and a soldier is a question of loyalty

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

If you take your time with the tutorials and let all of that info sink in, it will all come clear to you quick enough.

The greatest mistake a lot of new players make, is jumping into the game wanting a battleship and to kill everything that moves on their first day. :)

Join a corp.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

It looks awesome. Spectacular graphics. I just haven't had time to sit down and do it. Definitely not like your other MMO's where you can just load and go. It does need some investigating. I am looking forward to playing.

IMO you can't reasonably expect to play EVE by simply downloading it and running through the tutorials.

When I first started I searched the internet for new player guides, (there are several good ones out there) on just about every topic from mining, mission running, PVP, and marketing.  I read through every one of them once (and went back after I got started) before ever getting started.

Back in the early days of gaming you actually had to read the manuals that shipped with them to even figure out what was going on, and that was in a single player game.

So invest some time in doing some basic research on the game before starting and you'll do fine.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Help???? Please.

Not your normal MMORPG!

Once you work out the UI its actually not that complicated and the pve side turns out to be just like another other mmorpg, pick up the quest travel here kill those go back for reward..

Follow the inital tutorial and you will be fine..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Originally posted by Caldrin

Help???? Please.

Not your normal MMORPG!

Once you work out the UI its actually not that complicated and the pve side turns out to be just like another other mmorpg, pick up the quest travel here kill those go back for reward..

You've described mission running, there are so many more PVE activities than just that to do.

Market trading, exploration, wormhole farming, incursions, mining, smuggling, industry, data core creation, complexes just to name a few.

Yes...EVE is that complicated.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

A different way to learn how to play Eve is to join the corp called Eve University.

HOWEVER, it is exactly like joining the army. You have instructors and there are rules and regulations.

Joining this corp can open doors in Eve that would otherwise take a little longer to open. For example, after a while you can transfer from Eve University to The Graduates and be involved with high-end PvP, PvE and politics.

But as I say, there are many different paths to the summit.

• imjonahimjonah Member UncommonPosts: 19

Some good advice here.

It is a little like learning college level Calculus.  You can do it by reading the book and devoting the time, but it is so much easier if you have a real live human to help you. 

The very best thing you can do at the start is join a corp that welcomes new players. 

If you go to the Official Eve Forums ther is a whole forum devoted to recruitment and there are dozens of  corps looking for brand new players. 

If all else fails leave me a message at [email protected] and I can walk you through the basics.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I found this a very useful guide for combat http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/0910/eve-tracking101.swf

It provides interactive graphs and a page of explanation for

range penalty, signature radius, tracking speed, and transversal velocity.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

I think i have decided what i'm going to do when i start again tomorrow night:

Recently i was thinking about branching off from my job (running maintenance contracts) and setting up on my own with mates.

I'm pretty sure theres systems in place in the game where i can hire newer players to do stuff for me. I don't mean the contracts system, i mean like having my own employees.

Maybe a group scamming venture :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Caldrin

Help???? Please.

Not your normal MMORPG!

You've described mission running, there are so many more PVE activities than just that to do.

Market trading, exploration, wormhole farming, incursions, mining, smuggling, industry, data core creation, complexes just to name a few.

Yes...EVE is that complicated.

Yes but you dont have to jump into those right way and even when you do get into them its pretty simple you dont need a degree in anything to play it lol..

Just start with the basics and you will soon start picknig things up :)