Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: An Exclusive Salem Interview

2»

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

While I think it's wrong to judge a game based on pre-beta screenshots, I do agree Salem looks too damn ugly for its own good. Simple graphics are ok as long as the gameplay rocks, but horrible model/level design is quite another thing.

They could easily have made the game appeal to more people simply by ditching the "cute-looking" (or rather disturbing-looking) char models. If they had gone for a more realistic look I think more people would have been keen on the game. As it is, the poor design/graphics are mentioned every time Salem comes up, instead of all the interesting gameplay features.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I give a damn for graphics

I played haven and hearth so I can back up my statement

What matter is its gameplay, and that is what interests me

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Denambren

In fact, the graphics seem so terrible that I wouldn't be surprised if the game engine is just a quickly coded tool to scam people out of their credit card info before shutting down. I'm staying far away from this one.

Wow... so many people fail to realise this isn't an EA game.

As for the game's look, if it was higher poly (read: rounder) then people would be screaming "Pixar clone!".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by MacroHard

the character art is so hideous I'm going to hide under my bed now.

This^

Graphics/character art so bad I'll never try it even free to play with someone holding a gun to my head bad the premise sounded interesting

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Don't judge this too quickly, its by the guys behind haven and hearth. if you played that game you know its going to be worth playing irregardless of graphics.

plus its a terraforming sandbox game, are you saying MINECRAFT has better graphics? PUH-LEEZE

was playing h&h again recently. can't wait for salem hope they fix some of the issues in h&h, lag, no claim decay etc.

My blog: image

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I am interested in the game and can give it a try in spite of graphics (because of Minecraft)

But why did they choose that art style???

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

I don't really care for the character models, but the game play should be awesome. Especially if they improve on HnH's gameplay.  This is the type of game that lots of crafter types have been wanting: crafting, terraforming, etc...

I know I can't wait to play it.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

According to the latest interview on this site, the game graphics will be changed. So i assume these are more placeholders.

However, it would appear they will stick with the bobblehead models.

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

Folks, Haven & Hearth is an indie game developed and ran completely, totally free to the players. It's been an experimental sandbox for years. Of course it has problems! For those that haven't ever played it before, the problems have become bigger because the guys at SeaTribe haven't been able to dedicate the time needed to fix it due to work on Salem.

I'm a H&H vet for over a year and a half now. When I started playing, things weren't as vicious. If you got ran over by a bear or boar, yeah, you could die, but it wasn't very likely. Now, odds are you will die, but not always. (luck varies) That is probably one of the worst changes for new players in that time, however it made things grittier and gave things a more desperate feel to become "established somewhere.

To give you a feel of what it was like: When I started playing, things were actually peaceful for the lone hermit or small village. Sure, you might get raided, you might even get killed, but nowhere in the world was safe for someone committing these acts. Within 24 hours of being the victim, someone would come and exact vengence for you, often for just the experienced gained for killing the perp. It actually got boring pretty quick if you didn't want to become one of these raiders or rangers. This is what Salem hopefully becomes (as well as H&H again).

If you're curious, join H&H with a thick skin. It's like D2 harcore mode where a lvl 70 can come gank you at L1. You're just a bit harder to find if you try just a little.

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

Oh, and why isn't H&H listed on this site? Too indie for mmorpg.com? ;)

• drjpjdrjpj Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by MacroHard

the character art is so hideous I'm going to hide under my bed now.

This^

Graphics/character art so bad I'll never try it even free to play with someone holding a gun to my head bad the premise sounded interesting

Wow, really? You're cool bro. I'm sure just about everyone here has played great games with terrible art/graphics. The art isn't that bad and I'm sure could grow on people if they would stick to it for the game not looks. Some people disgust me, I don't see why stuff like this is posted. If you don't like the looks and have NO intention on playing it, then screw off and let people with real criticism and helpful idea or tips post, no one wants to read your verbal defication.

Oh and just saying, Runescape Classic!

• drjpjdrjpj Member Posts: 2

sorry for double post

• PikdumPikdum Member Posts: 3

Here is a more up to date picture for our graphics whores.

The game is still in development. Even these graphics arent final.