Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deal breaking issues... you decide.

2»

Comments

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by aionix

Originally posted by claytos

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by fony

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Draftbeer

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

..Cake..

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGAipKUakc

This points out my issue, why force me to get Taxis when I could just travel myself to the next area? I personally want enemies attacking each city for world PVP but even if they didn't want that then they could easily make it so only friendly factions can travel there.

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Obviously server population caps are an entirely different issue... however I feel it is ridiculous that Bioware instances this game so heavily when the game seems to be very light population wise (at least my sever- 120 players on during the busiest times- Republic fleet) I just don't see the need for it... and lets be honest, they are not using high rez; so that cant be putting stress on the servers either...

Graphics resolution will have no impact on servers, it's a non-issue as graphics are handled entirely on the client side.

I'm not a huge fan of instancing, but after playing other games using it I think SWTOR manages to do it fairly well. That being said if I had a choice I'd rather have larger open world servers or massive instances.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

I may be crazy, but I believe BW may have removed the airlocks with the last patch... At least for the planets i have visited, this seems to be true... If so, bravo to them for listening to their playerbase and removing this stupid timesink. Now, if we could only have open worlds...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Year of the Dragon.

+1million LOL ;)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I feel Tatooine and on is very wide open and not at all confined.

Especially planets like Hoth - very wide open play areas.

I agree on the PvP thing, there is NO incentive for open world PvP other than the fact that on a PvP server you should ALWAYS fight your enemies. If you don't want to do that, roll on a PvE server kids.

Fighting Imps for the sake of fighting them is fun enough for me to always engage anyone I see out in the world (had some great fights on Hoth last night) but it would sweeten the pot to actually get some XP or Valor etc.

As for the instancing... how else would you handle intergalactic travel?

With NPC's that instant teleport you between star ports like they had in SWG?

Beyond that, the instancing on planets is only used for group quest areas and class quest areas. Which, at most, make up like a 1/3rd of a planets content in the upper levels. And with those - no loading screens.

Plenty open world.

1-20 is misleading, but yes 1-20 is much more heavily instanced.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by Draftbeer

Year of the Dragon.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

GW2 will start the 3rd world world.  The amount of rage that will  ravage the internet if this game fails (which it very possibily can) is of an unholy amount. Because SWTOR was supposed to be this golden egg also, according to Bioware, and it pretty much has fallen short on everything.  Square had a major MMO under them and a major studio,  FFXIV turned into the biggest failure in AAA MMO history.  GW2 could possibly be that answer to MMO's... but ask yourself, "What if...."

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

You can rest in your ship. It's an awesome instance.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

My main issue with SWToR is the ridiculous amount of instancing in this game. For example, in order to travel to any given planet with your ship; a person must enter their class specific airlock and run to your ship, then enter their ship, travel to said planet while on board, enter another airlock on said planet space station, load into and run across said spacestation and enter yet another instance in order to get down to the surface. So... all in all that is 4 seperate instances just to travel between planets...

I don't see how instancing is the problem here.  If i had to run to my  uninstanced ship (which would be the 3596th in line), in my uninstanced docking bay (docking back #145 in a long line of docking bays) travel through uninstanced space to another uninstanced airlock, take an uninstanced elevator (assuming i could fit into it with 2 or 3 thousand other people).. it would still be a very annoying amount of running to just get from A to B.  

Have you ever travelled between planets in the (Very uninstanced) EVE online? dock, undock, warp to gate, gate, warp to next gate, gate, warp to next gate, gate, dock...

I agree with you 100% that it's annoying to travel between planets.  I just disagree that instancing has anything to do with it.  I think that when you click the "elevator" button that usually leads to the dock, it should give you the option to instatravel to another planet or to go down to your ship and take the regular travel way.  But again, nothing to do with instancing... it's the running that's annoying, regardless of whether it's instanced or shared.  I mean, just imagine the size of a non-instanced docking area on fleet.. i mean, there are 1 million players playing TOR, if 10% of them are at fleet, that's 100,000 ships in one docking bay.  Sure it would look awesome (if it actually loaded), but yeah, no thanks, instancing is fine.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

My main issue with SWToR is the ridiculous amount of instancing in this game. For example, in order to travel to any given planet with your ship; a person must enter their class specific airlock and run to your ship, then enter their ship, travel to said planet while on board, enter another airlock on said planet space station, load into and run across said spacestation and enter yet another instance in order to get down to the surface. So... all in all that is 4 seperate instances just to travel between planets...

TOR is exactly as instanced as SWG was, yet I don't ever hear anyone bitching about that being instanced...

With one big exception, which is where I agree with you.  Going from planet to ship(load screen), then ship to planet(another load screen)  This too was in SWG, HOWEVER, you could also just transition from the ship screen in the starport directly to the other planet.  TOR doesn't give you this option.  If they just gave this option, the majority of instance annoyance(that I have, anyway) would go away.

Obviously server population caps are an entirely different issue... however I feel it is ridiculous that Bioware instances this game so heavily when the game seems to be very light population wise (at least my sever- 120 players on during the busiest times- Republic fleet) I just don't see the need for it... and lets be honest, they are not using high rez; so that cant be putting stress on the servers either...

I've never seen the fleets on the Sith Wyrm server with less than 150 people; it averages 190-200 or adds a new shard.  Varies from server to server, I guess.  Either way, fleets are the only place I see sharding, anymore.

Along with the zones being very confined which is another issue for me, these two really tick me off somethin awful... How bout yall?

I have NO idea what you're talking about, here.  "City-based" worlds(coruscant) are somewhat confined, but some 70-80% of the worlds are huge and very manueverable.

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

Year of the Dragon.

+1